PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Designing interesting dungeons / encounters for a Level 1 adventure

Ellye
2015-07-07, 03:58 PM
It seems like I'm finally getting my old D&D group back together for some new fantasy adventuring. It's been about a decade since we last played, and we will now be starting a new campaign in 5D&D.

I'll be DMing, and am currently in the process of designing the first adventure. Our party will consist of three Level 1 characters (I don't know the classes for now, but from what I'm guessing from my players, it'll likely be a Fighter, a Monk and a divine spellcaster).

Thing is, I'm having a bit of trouble designing interesting dungeons for Level 1 characters. So I'd love help brainstorming some ideas!

To give some context for the adventure: the "main quest" will have the PCs, along with a non-combatant scholar NPC, exploring the ruins of a long-abandoned temple (dedicated to the god of Nature and Growth), recently discovered beyond a burial mound (it was a custom of past civilizations to bury their deads around temples of said deity).

On the way to the main quest, the PCs might also decide to help discover the fate of a lost hunter, and perhaps retrieve his body or some other keepsake, if he's dead.

So, any interesting tricks and ideas for some twist on the standard hack-and-slash encounters? Some unusual monsters or animals that could be interesting? Cool little traps, puzzles, or such? All welcome!

JNAProductions
2015-07-07, 04:03 PM
Well, not exactly what you're asking for, but a word of advice all the same...

First level characters are fragile. They die to just about anything, quickly and easily. So keep that in mind when designing your encounters.

Ramshack
2015-07-07, 04:06 PM
It seems like I'm finally getting my old D&D group back together for some new fantasy adventuring. It's been about a decade since we last played, and we will now be starting a new campaign in 5D&D.

I'll be DMing, and am currently in the process of designing the first adventure. Our party will consist of three Level 1 characters (I don't know the classes for now, but from what I'm guessing from my players, it'll likely be a Fighter, a Monk and a divine spellcaster).

Thing is, I'm having a bit of trouble designing interesting dungeons for Level 1 characters. So I'd love help brainstorming some ideas!

To give some context for the adventure: the "main quest" will have the PCs, along with a non-combatant scholar NPC, exploring the ruins of a long-abandoned temple (dedicated to the god of Nature and Growth), recently discovered beyond a burial mound (it was a custom of past civilizations to bury their deads around temples of said deity).

On the way to the main quest, the PCs might also decide to help discover the fate of a lost hunter, and perhaps retrieve his body or some other keepsake in case he's dead.

So, any interesting tricks and ideas for some twist on the standard hack-and-slash encounters? Some unusual monsters or animals that could be interesting? Cool little traps, puzzles, or such? All welcome!

Level 1 dungeons can always be a bit tricky. But I'll help give off a few ideas.

1: Find a remote village of indigenous natives, their well has recently run a foul and the person they sent down the well to investigate the cause hasn't come back up. The adventures can go down the well to find a secret aquifer system that is inhabited with goblins, or other similar cr creatures.

2: Adventurers discover a new species of primate, that is intelligent, they actually have a small village and the the creatures are deceptively strong for their size, they attack the adventurers thinking they are attacking the village, later find out the first time this species encountered other intelligent races they were hunters who attacked them, party can either clear the village out or make peace by doing x quest for the village and become a center for food and rest and other simple tools.

3. Adventurers are staying at a remote village near the jungle and the villagers are talking about a mysterious string of deaths in the area. Make the party hunt and track a pack of deadly man eating lions ghost and the darkness style.

Ellye
2015-07-07, 04:06 PM
Well, not exactly what you're asking for, but a word of advice all the same...

First level characters are fragile. They die to just about anything, quickly and easily. So keep that in mind when designing your encounters.Yep, that's pretty much one of the central issues I'm having.

Kurt Kurageous
2015-07-07, 04:49 PM
I found out all that you have. My solution right now is an XP farm so they level quickly. Below is the premise/hook handout:

>>The elves have asked you to come because the forest calls out for your help. A thick entanglement of spider webs and unnaturally fast growing vines have begun to choke off what once was a sacred grove located near the edge of the Faerie Woods.

All the dryads, faerie dragons, and pixies of the forest have pledged to surround what they call the “troubled trees” and support whosoever dares venture within to destroy a spider infestation the likes they have never seen. They fear a blight outbreak might come soon.
The Elves say their scouts have found the following life forms in the affected area.
Awakened tree
Ettercap (this is the likely source of the problems and should be your highest priority target)
Fungi
Ghoul
Giant spider (another priority)
Gibbering mouther
Goblinoids
Horse
Insectoid
Mimic
Mephit
Oozes
Orc
Silver dragon wyrm
Undead creations
Undead malevolent spirits
There may be more, but these ones the elves are sure about.

The assembled fey creatures can guide you to a safe entry point around the troubled trees. They know which of the outermost opening among the trees are unoccupied.

If your party is generally of good or neutral alignment, your sylvan host will instantly prepare and guard a campsite for you when you come out of the perimeter. All you have to do is tell the satyr what you need.

A rest? No problem. You will rest safe and sound. The pixies and fey dragon will conceal you behind a phantasmal wall of trees and confuse any monsters that come close. If anything malevolent breaks through, the sprites will lead a pack of charmed bears, blink dogs, giant owls, and other woodland creatures that are prepared to give their life in your defense.

The party will need to rest for only four hours for a long rest, or fifteen minutes for a short rest. Hit dice for healing is “buy one, get one free” because pixie dust is a great sleep aid.

And did you say healing? Of course! The goodberry wine provided by Bilibuck, a satyr master vintner will instantly heal up to 20 hp, but you cannot take the leftovers back into the trees.

The fey dragons and pixies promise not to prank the party, and the dryads will try to not fall in love with or trap the more attractive party members. They just hope you come soon.<<

I ask if there are any questions (hoping to share lore about the monsters). They don't get a map.

The MM p. 132 description for Ettercap was the inspiration. The BBEG is two ettercaps in two waves one minute apart assisted by enough giant spiders/giant wolf spiders to make the first wave tough and the second wave interesting/deadly. I have written a sequel involving a green dragon (8th level+). I used Donjon to make a 5 player level 1 medium sized nuisance themed circle with no doors, straight halls, and small rooms. I called the rooms "clearings', the halls "paths." I used the green dragon effects MM p.95-96 for the walls of the halls/rooms less damage. The outer edge of the halls and rooms could be walked through to safety.

Messing with the rest mechanic lets the players learn how all their abilities work while letting them bounce back quickly. They know they can't expect this support always.

I track time in order to adjust the lighting and limit the undead appearances. Shadows can appear by day, but will likely surprise at night, etc.

The silver dragon appears as a battered elf asking for help to escape. They are less than half HP. The horse is a warhorse belonging to a NPC elf, reward for it's safe return. My mimics are a dead mule, a crying (silent) elf child, and a dying fire beetle.

I've played it with 3 groups, and it has been a success, aka no TPKs.

TripleD
2015-07-07, 06:34 PM
Due to level one fragility, one way to keep encounters interesting is to lean more towards goofy than deadly.

Examples:

Polymorph Traps: If they fail to disarm they trap (or miss it entirely) have the relevant character polymorphed into a random (yet still reasonably tough) forest creature (wolf, puma, ape, etc.). Polymorph essentially doubles their hitpoints, which can help keep at least that party member alive during combat.
Nerf Missle: An showdown with a spell-slinging wizard is the stuff of D&D covers. First level adventurers are way to squishy to take that on. Instead, have an encounter based around a kobold/goblin/flumph who slings watered down cantrips which only deal 1 or 2 damage and maybe a status condition. This can be a great way to teach them about how status effects work in 5e.
Ghost Walk: The adventurers meet the ghost of an adventurer who died in this very dungeon (in your case, it could be that lost hunter you were talking about) who wants revenge. He temporarily pulls them into the Etheral Plane, walks them through the dungeon, and shows them where a family heirloom was looted from his body. This acts as a a free scrye for your party. There are too many enemies to take on in a direct assault, but with a creative use of terrain and insider knowledge, they can isolate and take down their opponents one at a time.
Giant Spider: Have enemies and heroes fight on a giant spiderweb, with a failed dex save triggering a (small) bite from the spiders who made it. If the PCs start loosing, you can rig the dice rolls to hit the enemies harder and more often to swing the battle in your parties' favor. This isn't really any different than fudging attack roles, but it's much more flavorful to have "Krei the spider duchess takes a bite off the orc berserker" instead of "the goblin misses you... again".

Ellye
2015-07-07, 06:44 PM
Due to level one fragility, one way to keep encounters interesting is to lean more towards goofy than deadly.

Examples:

Polymorph Traps: If they fail to disarm they trap (or miss it entirely) have the relevant character polymorphed into a random (yet still reasonably tough) forest creature (wolf, puma, ape, etc.). Polymorph essentially doubles their hitpoints, which can help keep at least that party member alive during combat.
Nerf Missle: An showdown with a spell-slinging wizard is the stuff of D&D covers. First level adventurers are way to squishy to take that on. Instead, have an encounter based around a kobold/goblin/flumph who slings watered down cantrips which only deal 1 or 2 damage and maybe a status condition. This can be a great way to teach them about how status effects work in 5e.
Ghost Walk: The adventurers meet the ghost of an adventurer who died in this very dungeon (in your case, it could be that lost hunter you were talking about) who wants revenge. He temporarily pulls them into the Etheral Plane, walks them through the dungeon, and shows them where a family heirloom was looted from his body. This acts as a a free scrye for your party. There are too many enemies to take on in a direct assault, but with a creative use of terrain and insider knowledge, they can isolate and take down their opponents one at a time.
Giant Spider: Have enemies and heroes fight on a giant spiderweb, with a failed dex save triggering a (small) bite from the spiders who made it. If the PCs start loosing, you can rig the dice rolls to hit the enemies harder and more often to swing the battle in your parties' favor. This isn't really any different than fudging attack roles, but it's much more flavorful to have "Krei the spider duchess takes a bite off the orc berserker" instead of "the goblin misses you... again".
Really enjoyed those ideas, thanks!

TripleD
2015-07-07, 06:50 PM
Really enjoyed those ideas, thanks!

Glad you enjoyed them. Good luck with your group!

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-09, 04:51 AM
In my last session, there were some tests.

A sphinx (the CR 17 one, we are a lv. 15 party) gave us 4, these two are intresting.

-There is a little puppy, if you hit it, you completed the test, says the sphinx).
BUT if you really hit him, you fail the test, you must 1 minute not hit it.

-There is a deep hole, one partymember must jump, it's full of lava
(the lava is an illusion, if you jump, you can climb up and don't get fall damage for a reason.

Stan
2015-07-09, 08:41 AM
Additional option are to solve a mystery and hit them with things that don't do hit point damage, but cause other effects.

For example, people are sick and dying in a village. It turns out that someone is poisoning the village - long term exposure is lethal but a single dose just causes the poisoned condition (or confusion or sleep or whatever). With so many people out of action, kids are running around causing mischief and livestock is loose. The killer could be something as simple as a commoner with a club. Taking them out wouldn't be much XP but solving the mystery and taking care of the issues in the village should be worth a bump to 2nd level.

It's simple stuff but not every adventure has to be saving the world.

You could also make instant death happen if extra damage is greater than you con score - making instant death unlikely at low level but easier at high level (or make it greater of con and hp). Getting knocked to 0 hp is rarely fatal unless the whole party is dropping but instakill at first level is all too easy.

Or, you could just start at 3rd level so characters already get their archetype and there's more room for character back story.