PDA

View Full Version : With Skin Pulled So Tightly You Could See the Bones Squirm [CREATURE]

Realms of Chaos
2007-04-29, 11:55 PM
The Bloody Maw
Medium undead
Hit Dice: 12d12 (42 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: Fly 30 feet (average)
AC: 16 (+1 Dex, +5 natural), Touch 11, Flat-footed 15
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+10
Attack: Slam +10 melee (1d6+4) or up to 5 Bites +10 melee (1d8+4)
Full Attack: Slam +10 melee (1d6+4) or up to 5 Bites + 10 melee (1d8+4)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./ 5 ft. (10 ft. with bite)
Special Attacks: Bursting Maw, Snatch Morsel
Special Qualities: DR 5/Slashing or Piercing, Fast Healing 1, Undead Traits, Blindsight 60 ft., Flight, Sustenance dependency, Endless Torment
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +8
Abilities: Str 18, Dex 13, Con -, Int 1, Wis 10, Cha 5
Skills: Hide -15
Feats: Improved Natural Attack (bite) b, Improved Natural Attack (slam) b,
Environment: Any
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Chaotic Evil
Advancement: 13-20 HD (medium), 21-30 HD (large)
Level Adjustment: -
The blob of quivering flesh floats a few feet off of the ground. Its skin appears to be pulled extremely tightly over the body, revealing that a skeleton of sorts continually shifts just below the surface.

The Bloody Maw was originally the work of a lowly necromancer. This necromancer, seeking a minion within their reach, inserted the bones from an average skeleton into the body of a beholder after softening its flesh and removing its skull. Furthermore, its eye and mouth were melded closed and the minimum amount of flesh was used, making a mass of loosely shaped flesh that looked as though it were nearly pierced by the bones beneath. When the body was animated, however, a very unexpected event occurred. The flesh and bones commingled, creating a being far out of its creator’s ability to control. This new being, soon to be called a bloody maw, responded to its creation with the destruction of its creator, who died with the method to create one.
The Bloody Maw is a disturbing paradox, in that it is driven in its undead state towards a goal more suitable for the living. The Bloody maw needs to eat not just life force but actual mass of bodies (in a similar manner to ghouls). This condition, unusual for undead, is complicated by the fact that their mouths are sewn shut and quickly heal when torn open. As a result, the Bloody Maw requires a direct confrontation in order to eat. For this reason, Bloody Maws desperately attack any living creature they come across, even if it is clearly stronger than them (although they may flee from stronger foes once their mouths have been torn open).
One last mystery surrounds the Bloody Maw. Although the original creator only created one, several have turned up over the years. This has led to conjectures that either the necromancer’s notes have survived his destruction or that the Bloody Maws have some form of slow-acting spawn animating ability. A third, highly controversial hypothesis is that the Bloody Maw may in fact reproduce asexually. While reproduction is all but unheard of in undead, the same can be said for conventional hunger.

Combat: A Bloody Maw is literally forced to live from combat to combat. They run through battle, slamming foes without mercy until their mouths are pierced open. Only at this point will a Bloody Maw ever retreat, and this is only if it is quite obviously outmatched.

Bursting Maw (Ex): Whenever a Bloody Maw is dealt damage with a slashing or piercing weapon, they immediately lose their slam attack as their skeleton makes the most of the opening in the flesh, extending a protruding jaw of bone. When this occurs, the Bloody Maw may make an attack of opportunity against its attacker (even if they have no attacks of opportunity left for that round) and the attacker is targeted by a dispel magic effect inherent to its “breath” (+10 on dispel checks). Each attack creates an additional mouth, up to a maximum of 5. All mouths seal up simultaneously the moment that the Bloody Maw reaches full hit points.

Snatch Morsel (Ex): Whenever a Bloody Maw deals enough damage to drop a foe, it simultaneously bites off a piece of that foe, dealing an additional 1d6 damage.

Flight (Ex): A Bloody Maw’s body is naturally buoyant. This buoyancy allows it to fly at a speed of 30 feet. This buoyancy also grants it a permanent feather fall effect (as the spell) with personal range.

Hunger Dependancy: A Bloody Maw, despite its undead state, has hunger directly analogous to a living creature. For the purposes of all related checks, the Bloody Maw has a Constitution score of 10. Whenever hunger would deal the Bloody Maw nonlethal damage, it instead deals that much lethal damage, which cannot be cured until the Bloody Maw has eaten. Much like a beholder, any organic substance may be used as food.

Endless Torment: A Bloody Maw is constantly torn by the desires of its interior to escape. As a result, it remains at the very verge of intelligence. It remains immune to mind-affecting abilities and gains neither skill points nor feats. Their intelligence score is raised by two and its wisdom and charisma are each increased by 1 (for the purpose of rudimentary intelligence and tactics) for each bite attack it has available.
While is has 10 or more intelligence, it gains a certain level of awareness. It gains improved toughness, wingover, hover, flyby attack, and improved turn resistance as feats, gains 15 ranks in spot, listen, bluff, and intimidate, and is no longer immune to mind-affecting effects (although they get a +4 bonus on will saves made to resist them).

Skills: A bloody maw takes a –4 racial penalty on hide checks due to its unnatural coloration and undulations.

Zeta Kai
2007-04-30, 05:22 AM
Eww. That's cool.

Question: In what ways does the Intelligent score count?

Also, -16 on Hide is a bit high.

XtheYeti
2007-04-30, 06:57 AM
wow thats just flat out creepy. and i shall now steal it to drop on my party

Realms of Chaos
2007-04-30, 08:49 AM
For all intensive purposes, it has an intelligence score for 2 purposes.

1. It gains feats.
2. It can make rudimentary tactics and decisions, beyond those of vermin or zombies.

Also, of course the hide check is miraculously low. The Bloody Maw's version of subtlety is rushing right at you.

How in the world is anyone going to miss a floating, sickly brow blob that constantly undulates and seems to be charging them?

Unless they're blind, that is.

Baron Corm
2007-04-30, 02:35 PM
balors and other weirdos don't get an inherent penalty on hide checks, so i don't think any creature really should just for their strange appearance. the only thing i can think of is if they emitted some sort of light, and that could just be saying "this creature emits light in a x ft. radius". also i don't understand why being in pain makes you not have ability scores. there are plenty of spells which create pain (symbol of pain, wrack, others) and they don't make the creature have that effect. i love the creature in every other respect though.

Demented
2007-04-30, 06:09 PM
-16 IS high. That makes it one of those things that you can't ignore even if you try. Which would have to be... It has neon colors and pulsates vibrantly like a Las Vegas sign.

O.o

jindra34
2007-04-30, 06:10 PM
-16 IS high. That makes it one of those things that you can't ignore even if you try. Which would have to be... It has neon colors and pulsates vibrantly like a Las Vegas sign.

O.o

I could ignore. that -16 is like a mini-sun...

Realms of Chaos
2007-04-30, 06:58 PM
Fine, I'll make it a mindless creature, take away its feats, take away its eternal torment ability, and reduce the penalty to hide down to -4. I'm awarding it superior natural attack with its attack forms as bonus feats, however.

jindra34
2007-04-30, 07:02 PM
How can damage be slashing and peircing???

Realms of Chaos
2007-04-30, 07:05 PM
What was an and is now an or.

Anything else I missed?

Magnor Criol
2007-04-30, 08:03 PM
You apparently trained under Belkar in Craft(Disturbing Mental Images). Man that thing is all sorts of unsettling.

If your rationale for the low Hide check is that it's not subtle, that's a tactics and not a skill thing; it's not that it has a penalty to hide, it's just that it never uses it.

The intelligence score thing made sense to me. If nothing else, it added tremendously to the creepy feel of the class by highlighting the fact that it's in constant, horrible pain. (I read it last night before you changed it.)

Realms of Chaos
2007-04-30, 11:51 PM
It takes a penalty to hide checks because its insides are trying to get on the outside.

This thing has anti-camoflauge, recognizable against almost any backdrop.

Unless it is in the dark, or you are blind, you are going to see this thing.

I gave it back an intelligence score and the Endless Torment ability for flavor reasons only. Now, it can get back some rationality as its jaws erupt out of its body (as the less bones inside of it, the less pain it is in and the more it can think).

Magnor Criol
2007-05-01, 12:09 AM
I think this new idea has potential for even more creepiness. As more 'mouths' come out, it gets more intelligent, and thus, in theory, couldn't it begin communicating at a rough level?

So as the fight goes on, the creature begins to be more and more aware of itself and perhaps even communicate with the players. And if that's not unsettling enough, there's an edge of desperation and torment even there because as soon as the thing heals, it knows it's going to lose not only its means of eating but also its intelligence. That would probably make it very difficult, knowing that it's only a matter of time before you turn into a gibbering monster again.

Once its intelligence is raised, does the Maw become susceptible to mind-affecting spells until it's lowered again?

Zeta Kai
2007-05-01, 06:26 AM
How can damage be slashing and peircing???

Daggers, Scythes, & Halberds all do both slashing or piercing damage. The dwarven urgrosh does to, but it doesn't count, due to the fact that it is really two different weapons on one shaft.

Realms of Chaos
2007-05-01, 08:51 AM
To add to the freakiness, it can now gain some sentience (but only when all five bite attacks are active).

Matthew
2007-05-14, 08:36 PM
Daggers, Scythes, & Halberds all do both slashing or piercing damage. The dwarven urgrosh does to, but it doesn't count, due to the fact that it is really two different weapons on one shaft.
...and Bite does all three types.

I like this creature; did it ever make it into the Voting System for Monsters in the Playground?