PDA

View Full Version : (Pathfinder) A fisher of men

ThreeDSix
2015-07-07, 05:37 PM
Hello Playground!

I have a concept that needs a build.

Basically, it's an anglerfish that's taken on human form and now walks around on rainy days wearing a hooded raincoat and wields a lantern on the end of a pole.
It lures villagers (and adventurers) to their death by luring them closer with the lantern.

How would I make this mechanically viable?

Potentially, I would like to make this a recurring opponent for my party, who are level 1 at the moment.

Thanks!

Psyren
2015-07-07, 05:46 PM
Does it have to be human? Because this sounds a lot like a Ceratiodi (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/monstrous-humanoids/ceratioidi) (basically a bipedal angler fish) or even an Iku Turso (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/aberrations/iku-turso).

ThreeDSix
2015-07-07, 05:53 PM
Not at all. It just has to pass off as human long enough for people not to be distracted and focus on the pretty light.

ThreeDSix
2015-07-07, 06:03 PM
Both are interesting suggestions.
Thank you, Psyren!

Psyren
2015-07-07, 08:32 PM
Both are interesting suggestions.
Thank you, Psyren!

No problem :smallsmile:

All they need is a disguise check; you could also try for boosting it to make it more of a challenge, maybe with some Slayer levels or something to make it a more deadly murderer.

atemu1234
2015-07-07, 11:39 PM
No problem :smallsmile:

All they need is a disguise check; you could also try for boosting it to make it more of a challenge, maybe with some Slayer levels or something to make it a more deadly murderer.

Or even Vigilante levels.

Reprimand
2015-07-08, 12:50 PM
Wow this is one of the most unique and inspired character ideas I've seen in a while I'm writing this down.

You could use a whip as a starting point or something similar to throw out the lantern and pull it around via grapple rules.

Grappling opponents and disarming them to make them helpless sounds very predator like, both features of the whip with 15 ft reach.

ThreeDSix
2015-07-08, 05:30 PM
Grappling would be interesting. Though I'd have to devise a way to keep the rest of the party occupied, as this predator is a lone wolf, and I don't want him pummeled to death while his hands (and mouth) are full.

Psyren
2015-07-08, 08:49 PM
Grappling would be interesting. Though I'd have to devise a way to keep the rest of the party occupied, as this predator is a lone wolf, and I don't want him pummeled to death while his hands (and mouth) are full.

General tip: single monster encounters are bad news. Either the party will crush him easily due to action economy, or you make him too strong and he causes a TPK while they ineffectually stab at his ankles. The middle ground is extremely hard to hit when there is only one foe.

Why would he be going after a party to begin with though? The way you describe this guy it sounds like he preys on people walking alone, or at best weak pairs or trios - not a squad of heavily-armed adventurers.

I would suggest that the big twist is that there's actually a pack of them when the authorities think there is only one. They lure the party to an abandoned wharf on a moonless, foggy night, and use their lights to try and get the party to split up so they can divide and conquer. Throw in a few traps as well, this is their hunting ground. Very simple stuff like deadfalls, or a frayed rope holding some barrels. As soon as able, they'll try to grab a straggler and jump into the water with him, forcing the rest of the party to engage them at a disadvantage due to their swimming ability.

Alternatively, if you're set on there only being one, come up with another way for him to have backup; have him command some electric eels, or even some small water elementals with a murderous streak.

ThreeDSix
2015-07-12, 05:53 PM
General tip: single monster encounters are bad news. Either the party will crush him easily due to action economy, or you make him too strong and he causes a TPK while they ineffectually stab at his ankles. The middle ground is extremely hard to hit when there is only one foe.

Why would he be going after a party to begin with though? The way you describe this guy it sounds like he preys on people walking alone, or at best weak pairs or trios - not a squad of heavily-armed adventurers.

I would suggest that the big twist is that there's actually a pack of them when the authorities think there is only one. They lure the party to an abandoned wharf on a moonless, foggy night, and use their lights to try and get the party to split up so they can divide and conquer. Throw in a few traps as well, this is their hunting ground. Very simple stuff like deadfalls, or a frayed rope holding some barrels. As soon as able, they'll try to grab a straggler and jump into the water with him, forcing the rest of the party to engage them at a disadvantage due to their swimming ability.

Alternatively, if you're set on there only being one, come up with another way for him to have backup; have him command some electric eels, or even some small water elementals with a murderous streak.

It is the overlord of a domain that one of the characters slipped through while getting teleported (Setting is a bit homebrew) and it now has that character's scent, so to speak.

I would like it to be a lone demigod, or somesuch, but I'll think about giving it backup.
The idea of having a fish terrorize them while on land is too much fun to pass up, though. :P