PDA

View Full Version : Making the monk a bit better

Bountyhunter
2015-07-07, 06:07 PM
I've always loved the monk class; it was the first class I ever played after all. But I’m sure you all know that the monk, for lack of a better word, sucks. My group has very few books, the only non-essential book we have is the Complete Warrior so no Swordsage. So it is my objective as the dungeon master to change the class around a little bit. I'm willing to listen to any advice for abilities and the like so long as you explain why you think the class needs it.

A few of the most obvious changes:
Hit die at D10
Skill points at 6 + intelligence
Full BAB

I also have a few ideas for giving the class more abilities and to reduce its multiple attribute dependency.

At 3rd level a monk can use their wisdom modifier in place of their strength for both their attack and damage when using a monk weapon or fist.

At 4th level a monk gains Wall walker (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Wall_Walker) in addition to slow fall (Wall walker advances at the same time as slow fall, so at level 4 a monk could walk up a wall 20ft before having to make a climb check)

At 5th level a monk gains immunity to all mind affecting spells and supernatural abilities. (Read edit)

At 6th level a monk can use their Wisdom modifier in place of strength on any strength check and gains a wisdom bonus instead of a strength bonus on climb, jump, and swim checks.

Lastly I'd allow a monk to multiclass without penalty.

Not related to the class itself but perhaps allowing clothing to be enchanted? Or perhaps allowing a character to spend money to "enchant" their fists"

Do you think this is too much? Too little?
(Also I'm sure there have been posts before on improving the monk, if that's the case how about just a critique on what I've done to the monk class?)

Edit: What I meant by immunity to supernatural abilities was immunity to the mind affecting ones

SowZ
2015-07-07, 06:10 PM
I've always loved the monk class; it was the first class I ever played after all. But I’m sure you all know that the monk, for lack of a better word, sucks. My group has very few books, the only non-essential book we have is the Complete Warrior so no Swordsage. So it is my objective as the dungeon master to change the class around a little bit. I'm willing to listen to any advice for abilities and the like so long as you explain why you think the class needs it.

Hit die at D10
Full BAB

I also have a few ideas for giving the class more abilities and to reduce its multiple attribute dependency.

At 3rd level a monk can use their wisdom modifier in place of their strength for both their attack and damage when using a monk weapon or fist.

At 4th level a monk gains Wall walker (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Wall_Walker) in addition to slow fall (Wall walker advances at the same time as slow fall, so at level 4 a monk could walk up a wall 20ft before having to make a climb check)

At 5th level a monk gains immunity to all mind affecting spells and supernatural abilities.

At 6th level a monk can use their Wisdom modifier in place of strength on any strength check and gains a wisdom bonus instead of a strength bonus on climb, jump, and swim checks.

Not related to the class itself but perhaps allowing clothing to be enchanted? Or perhaps allowing a character to spend money to "enchant" their fists"

(Also I'm sure there have been posts before on improving the monk, if that's the case how about just a critique on what I've done to the monk class?)

They should also get a list of common weapon and armor abilities they can apply to their fists and body to make up for the lack of gear. A method for flight would be cool, too. Possibly tied to some sort of Wisdom based Chi system. Flurry of Blows should work as part of a full attack or as a standard action.

noob
2015-07-07, 06:23 PM
More extra feats.
Maybe some spell-casting abilities?
Or higher damage.
(Also get a GM who gives you the item adding damage and attack roll to natural weapons and also use fabricate on your fists for making them masterwork and then enchant them with cool enchants(nothing says you can not))

Troacctid
2015-07-07, 06:39 PM
The Monk class is fundamentally flawed in large part because of how frontloaded it is. The low levels are honestly not that bad, but there's no reason why you'd want to stay in the class past the first couple levels. This is a hard problem to fix because doing so requires changing the class on such a fundamental level that it essentially becomes a different class. (See: Swordsage.) Barbarians have the exact same problem.

Of course there are other big problems with the Monk too. Their core abilities are anti-synergistic (they're supposed to be mobile but Flurry of Blows requires you to stand still) and they're weak on a strictly numerical basis, pretty much across the board, due to weak stats and MAD. You can fix those pretty easily by allowing a flurry on a standard action and giving them some extra attack points (full BAB, Dex to attack and damage with monk weapons, whatever). But even then, they're still a dip class.

My solution is to ban single-classed monks and just tell players that if they want to play a Monk, multiclassing or prestiging is mandatory, and Psionic Fist is that-a-way. I do the same thing for Barbarians and Marshals.

Curmudgeon
2015-07-07, 06:40 PM
Use the standard point buy system for character stats, as per DMG page 169, with the number of points dictated by your primary class using the Tier System for Classes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?266559-Tier-System-for-Classes-%28Rescued-from-MinMax%29):

15 point buy (This is where the Wizard is.)
22 point buy
28 point buy
32 point buy
40 point buy (This is where the Monk is.)
50 point buy.

Monks get both bonus feats at levels 1, 2, and 6 (which still doesn't make it a good class). Monks selecting an Unearthed Arcana (pages 52-53) fighting style (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#monkVariantFightingSty les) get the UA fighting style feats plus one of the regular bonus feats. 3 extra feats aren't nearly enough to help this poorly-designed class, so I've added more, in one area of specialization. Monks designate a Dragon magazine fighting style at first level, chosen from those in Dragon # 309 (pages 64-68) or Dragon # 315 (page 66). They then may add an extra feat at every Monk level, which must be chosen from their designated Dragon magazine fighting style. The Monk must meet all prerequisites for the Dragon magazine fighting style feats; if there is no unchosen feat from their designated Dragon magazine fighting style for which they meet the prerequisites, they gain no such bonus feat at that level.

Favored classes under the normal rules help avoid multiclassing XP penalties, but provide nothing favorable for those class choices. These house rules accentuate positive qualities more than negatives.

If your first class level is in a favored class you get your choice of either a bonus [Racial] or [Regional] feat or 100 gp as a one-time benefit. (You need to meet the feat prerequisites as usual.) Favored Class: Any does not qualify for the bonus feat option (just the gold). A character with Favored Class: Fighter starting as a Fighter may instead select a [Fighter] feat at 1st level, and Favored Class: Monk starting as a Monk may select an Unearthed Arcana fighting style and also get *both* regular level 1 Bonus Feat selections, without needing to satisfy prerequisites for any of those Monk feats.

Favored classes listed for your character receive 1 extra skill point each level (4 at 1st level). The only Favored Class: Any race which qualifies for this is Half-Elf. (Humans already get both a bonus feat and extra skill points; Half-Elves need a little extra love.)

Multiclassing XP penalties don't happen as long as you have at least 1 level in a favored class. Favored Class: Any *does* qualify for this exception, so Human characters never have multiclassing penalties.

(Favored Class: First one chosen works the same as Favored Class: Any.)

Rubik
2015-07-07, 07:04 PM
15 point buy (This is where the Wizard is.)
22 point buy
28 point buy
32 point buy
40 point buy (This is where the Monk is.)
50 point buy.
An even better reason to build a Tashalatoran monk 1/psion or monk 1/druid.

And I don't even want to think about the exploding chicken-hurling commoner 1/cleric.

INoKnowNames
2015-07-07, 07:26 PM
I like the idea of removing the Slow Fall, Empty Body, Tongue of Sun and Moon, Quivering Palm, Diamond Soul, Abundant Step, Wholeness of Body, and Still Mind abilities, and then granting the Monk a Psionic like Point based system where they can perform all of these tricks and more by spending points, as well as being able to increase a save, skill, or bab during an action (in the case of bab, maybe for a full round) by the number of points spent. Maybe even Flurry as well can be handled by this, spending Ki points to make extra attacks (without penalty), as well as to be able to better move (climb, run, swift action movement, swim, flight, immediate action movement, dimensional movement).

Then, they'd be able to meditate to regain these points in a day. Something like basically Tashlatora, only with the ability to keep on trucking through a day, with maybe a limit on how many points spent during a period of time, or maybe a lower threshold on max points to prevent unreasonable Nova. Wisdom to everything over time also sounds nice, as does more skill points, though I'm not sure they would need full Bab or an hd increase if they had enough special abilities to access to make up for it.

Karl Aegis
2015-07-07, 07:41 PM
Immunity to all supernatural abilities!!!!! Holy cow!!

ExLibrisMortis
2015-07-07, 07:49 PM
Gestalt wholesale with soulknife, except that you replace the knife with monk weapons and unarmed strikes? Add Paimon's Dance of Death (except that it should work with flurry, of course), and Pounce at some point, later in the class.

noob
2015-07-07, 07:59 PM
Add wisdom modifier to all saves and add more class features(like flying for some time at level 7 and unlimited flight at level 14(not unbalanced for level 14 when you compare to what wizards have) also fast healing helps a lot for resource economy)
Maybe give it the ability to share his healing pool and make it huger.
Then give something like flurry of blows bonus attacks as an instant action when you are not attacking(and of course when you attack in a turn you do not spend an instant action on the flurry of blows).

Starbuck_II
2015-07-07, 08:51 PM

Hit die at D10
Full BAB

At 5th level a monk gains immunity to all mind affecting spells and supernatural abilities.

First thing to think about.
Explain what you trying to fix. MAD is one thing I see.
What areas does the monk lack that you are fixing?

Example, it seems you are improving their combat ability (full bab, Wis instead of Str for hit/dam), their thematic speed is being expanded (Walk Walker, wis to climb/jump/swim), but what else? Immunity to all supernatural...?!!

Why not a special SR type mechanic vs supernatural: against harmful supernatural effects to affect you must roll D20 + HD vs SR 20 + Wis. So effectively immunity, but with chance to fail.
Example, at level 6 with 18 Wis: SR is 24. A 10 HD dragon breaths on you with a 1d20+10, needs a 14 roll to hit you.

Psyren
2015-07-07, 09:57 PM
Immunity to all supernatural abilities!!!!! Holy cow!!

Immunity to all supernatural...?!!

This is one of the troubles with English. I read his statement as "immunity to all mind-affecting spells and (mind-affecting) supernatural abilities.

5th level for that kind of immunity is a bit too powerful I would say though. That's still within dipping range for many classes and even monsters.

Rubik
2015-07-07, 10:01 PM
This is one of the troubles with English. I read his statement as "immunity to all mind-affecting spells and (mind-affecting) supernatural abilities.Me, too.

5th level for that kind of immunity is a bit too powerful I would say though. That's still within dipping range for many classes and even monsters.And yet it's only just slightly better than a constant-use item of a 1st level spell.

Svata
2015-07-07, 10:24 PM
If you're improving the monk you've got to remember to give them proficiency with unarmed strikes. Explicitly, so there can be no argument.

Red Rubber Band
2015-07-07, 10:34 PM
I'm surprised that no one has said anything yet but Swordsage is from Tome of Battle, not Complete Warrior.

You don't by any chance have Tome of Battle lying around, do you? :smallbiggrin:

Rubik
2015-07-07, 10:36 PM
I'm surprised that no one has said anything yet but Swordsage is from Tome of Battle, not Complete Warrior.

You don't by any chance have Tome of Battle lying around, do you? :smallbiggrin:You might want to reread the OP. He says the only non-Core book they have is CW, and so ToB isn't available.

bekeleven
2015-07-07, 11:35 PM
Here's an idea I've batted around for a while:

At first level, 4th level, and every level thereafter, a monk may select a sorcerer/wizard spell with a range of personal. They gain the ability to cast that spell at will. A monk must select at least one first-level spell to be able to select any second-level spells, and so on.

You're still casting the spell, so you still need all components. It leads to potentially powerful monks, as well as some fundamentally different monk builds. Thoughts?

atemu1234
2015-07-07, 11:42 PM
You might want to reread the OP. He says the only non-Core book they have is CW, and so ToB isn't available.

Which is a pity. OP, read that book, for it is good.

DMVerdandi
2015-07-08, 12:17 AM
I would make it a tier 1 class.

>1d6 HD

>6+int skills (all physical skills, heal, survival, all knowledge, spell-craft, diplomacy, intimidate, use magic device)

>Proficiency with simple and martial weapons

>medium BAB
>medium saves
>Superior Unarmed strike as free feat at first level
>Gains Monk speed at half rate

>Psionic Character.
Uses convert spell to power mechanic. Cannot manifest any psionic powers from other psionic power lists. Can convert cleric and druid spells up to level 9. Can convert all other lists to level 8. Converting a spell from an arcane list costs 4x the experience as a divine spell.
Also uses Unique power per day mechanic, but starts with 5, and gains one every two levels after first.

>wisdom to all saves
>wisdom to attack, damage, and AC.

>Gains ability to discharge powers as attack after holding it in a charge as Smiting spell.

Heliomance
2015-07-08, 04:01 AM
I made this fix (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?421168-Yet-Another-Monk-Fix-(High-T3-)-PEACH), which I'm quite pleased with. I'd love it if you could playtest it and let me know how it worked out.

Shinizak
2015-07-08, 04:57 AM
I have yet to read the entire thread by the time I've posted this, so if I say something already brought up then I apologize. Anyway. they main problem with the monk is that is suffers from not having a niche to fit it, not even an ideal design goal. Let me explain. the rogue can be summarized well as the class that excels at infiltrating something (a locked building, a guarded enemy line, a dangerous trap filled catacomb, etc) and exploiting it's weakness (via sneak attack, disable device skills, any one of the knowledge skills available to them, etc). On the other hand the cleric is well built since it's designed defend and fortify, it does this by healing others, and use an impressive array of spells designed to buff (or debuff)the subject they are trying to defend, and using their ability to turn (or rebuke) undead (although this is arguably just priest flavoring turned into crunch). that's not to say these two classes can't branch out, but they are designed from day one to have a specific build goal. a mission statement of sorts.

The monk on the other hand has none of this. it gains unarmed strikes, immunity to poison, movement upgrades, ki powers, quivering palm, and the inability to age, the ability to speak with any living thing, etc. Compared to other classes it is just a grab bag of abilities that have no real unifying goal in mind. even the bard is better since it's mission statement is "be everything" This unifying goal is part of what makes the optimized wizard and the cleric/druidzilla builds so amazingly powerful. The caster classes can change what their "mission statement" is just by changing out what spells they have prepared that day. Hell, the fighter even gets this with the giant selection of feats it gets by level 20.

My advice is to focus the monk on 2 or 3 things, such as (damage/movement/absolute personal defense) or (evasion/grapple master/magic resistance master) or anything else that suits your fancy. generally the less you have to focus on the greater you will be at redesigning the monk to be that thing

Ashtagon
2015-07-08, 05:19 AM
My monk fix:

d10 Hit Die (was d8)

Good BAB progression (was Average)

AC Bonus (Ex): When unarmoured and unencumbered, the monk adds her Wisdom bonus (if any) to her AC. In addition, a monk gains a +1 bonus to AC at 5th level. This bonus increases by 1 for every five monk levels thereafter (+2 at 10th, +3 at 15th, and +4 at 20th level).

These bonuses to AC apply even against touch attacks or when the monk is flat-footed. She loses these bonuses when she is immobilized or helpless, when she wears any armour, when she carries a shield, or when she carries a medium or heavy load.

(AC bonus unchanged)

Flurry of Blows (Ex): When unarmoured, a monk may strike with a flurry of blows at the expense of accuracy. When doing so, she may make one extra attack in a round at her highest base attack bonus, but this attack takes a -2 penalty, as does each other attack made that round. The resulting modified base attack bonuses are shown in the Flurry of Blows Attack Bonus column on Table: The Monk. This penalty applies for 1 round, so it also affects attacks of opportunity the monk might make before her next action. When a monk reaches 5th level, the penalty lessens to -1, and at 9th level it disappears. A monk must use a full attack action to strike with a flurry of blows.

When using flurry of blows, a monk may attack only with unarmed strikes or with special monk weapons (kama, nunchaku, quarterstaff, sai, shuriken, and siangham). She may attack with unarmed strikes and special monk weapons interchangeably as desired. When using weapons as part of a flurry of blows, a monk applies her Strength bonus (not Str bonus × 1½ or ×½) to her damage rolls for all successful attacks, whether she wields a weapon in one or both hands. The monk can’t use any weapon other than a special monk weapon as part of a flurry of blows.

In the case of the quarterstaff, each end counts as a separate weapon for the purpose of using the flurry of blows ability. Even though the quarterstaff requires two hands to use, a monk may still intersperse unarmed strikes with quarterstaff strikes, assuming that she has enough attacks in her flurry of blows routine to do so.

In a round where the monk attacks only with unarmed strikes or special monk weapons, the monk may make one additional unarmed strike attack. This additional attack is at the monk's full base attack bonus. The attack bonus for the monk's usual attacks is not affected. The monk may use either a full-round action or a standard to attack when making this flurry of blows.

A monk may not use flurry of blows if they are wearing armour, carrying a medium or heavy load, or using any weapon other than an unarmed strike or a designated monk weapon.

Greater Flurry: When a monk reaches 11th level, her flurry of blows ability improves. In addition to the standard single extra attack she gets from flurry of blows, she gets a second extra attack at her full base attack bonus.

At 11th level, if the monk uses a full-round action to attack, the monk may make two additional unarmed strikes at their full base attack bonus, in addition to all the usual attacks granted by their full-round attack action.

(Flurry is greatly changed. It not only does not suffer the attack penalties, but is also compatible with fighting and moving at the same time. I ran the maths once, and found that for typical level-appropriate opponents, flurry of blows is strictly inferior until you hit 11th level)

Unarmed Strike: No change, except to note that monks are proficient with unarmed strikes (as should every character).

SinsI
2015-07-08, 05:24 AM
Just make a search in the Homebrew subforum. There should be plenty of ready made fixes available.

Mr Adventurer
2015-07-08, 10:48 AM
Full BAB.
Flurry of Blows is a standard action.
8 skill points.
Add 2 to AC Bonus feature and it scales twice as fast.
All abilities currently usable 1/day are instead usable 1/encounter like Inspiration points. Optionally instead add a recovery mechanic like in ToB. At 10th this becomes 2/encounter and they can be used as a Swift action.
Diamond Soul only applies to effects the Monk wants it to, and add Wis bonus to the value.
They get every Physical Skill Trick the moment they meet the prerequisite, and they don't count toward their Skill Trick limit. At 11th level they can use Physical Skill Tricks 2/encounter.
They are proficient with all simple and martial weapons. Special Monk attacks are usable with any weapon on the original Monk list.
They get both Bonus Feat options at 1, 2, and 6.

jiriku
2015-07-08, 12:24 PM
I wrote a remixed monk class about five years ago; it has been extremely popular. Despite the amount of stuff I have homebrewed, probably 50% of the people who PM me want to talk about the monk. Click the link in my sig and give it a look; even if your DM doesn't want to use the class as-is, you'll certainly find many ideas you can use.

illyahr
2015-07-08, 03:04 PM
I give monks the psionic abilities of the Psychic Warrior. It goes a long way in helping and kinda matches, fluff-wise. What better class to use powers of the mind than a class that focuses on mastering the mind and body?

Taffimai
2015-07-08, 06:57 PM
Here's an idea I've batted around for a while:

At first level, 4th level, and every level thereafter, a monk may select a sorcerer/wizard spell with a range of personal. They gain the ability to cast that spell at will. A monk must select at least one first-level spell to be able to select any second-level spells, and so on.

You're still casting the spell, so you still need all components. It leads to potentially powerful monks, as well as some fundamentally different monk builds. Thoughts?

It would make a 1-level monk dip for at-will True Strike very popular :smallbiggrin:

Jokes aside, how to adapt the monk depends on which power level you're aiming for. I can be perfectly happy playing a monk as-is provided I get a point-buy so generous as to make the MAD a non-issue, and if the DM allows me to take both Improved Natural Attack and Superior Unarmed Strike to stack with my Monk's Belt. It's not ever going to compete with a wizard or druid, but then what is?

Svata
2015-07-08, 07:39 PM
Every level thereafter? You sure you wanna open that door? That results in 9ths at level 12. Level 12. Sure, its personal only, but (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/timeStop.htm), um (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/foresight.htm),yeah. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shapechange.htm) Also, as you're casting the spells, not having them as SLAs, hello spellcasting PrCs.

Troacctid
2015-07-08, 08:04 PM
Every level thereafter? You sure you wanna open that door? That results in 9ths at level 12. Level 12. Sure, its personal only, but (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/timeStop.htm), um (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/foresight.htm),yeah. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shapechange.htm) Also, as you're casting the spells, not having them as SLAs, hello spellcasting PrCs.
Yeah, that's super broken, and it doesn't particularly fit with the concept of the Monk either.

bekeleven
2015-07-08, 09:30 PM
..That was supposed to read "Every fourth level." This is what I get for not proofing. Oh, but level 7 at 20 seems fun.

A one-level dip for at-will true strike already exists. It's called abrupt jaunt wizard and/or cloistered cleric with the magic domain. Sure, you'll run through a 750GP wand every six or seven levels, but you get better stuff than 1 level in monk.

At-will true strike isn't very strong unless you have some real bomby encounter-ending attacks. Monk most certainly does not, and most martial classes that do (uberchargers etc) have no issue hitting in the first place. It's really only good for full casters... who already have it.

martixy
2015-07-08, 09:46 PM
Hit die at D10
Full BAB
This + a couple extra feats is a patch-job. The rest is playing the "I wanna be a game designer" game.
I'd stick to the former, unless you, and your DM/players enjoy the latter.

Troacctid
2015-07-08, 10:03 PM
..That was supposed to read "Every fourth level." This is what I get for not proofing.

Still pretty strong and not very monklike. The premier 2nd level spells are probably Alter Self and Cloud of Knives, neither of which really screams "martial arts."

bekeleven
2015-07-08, 10:33 PM
Still pretty strong and not very monklike. The premier 2nd level spells are probably Alter Self and Cloud of Knives, neither of which really screams "martial arts."
It can fit the flavor of a monk if you want to play a monk. If you don't, then why are you letting "flavor of a monk" dictate your build? Did Roy go to wizard college when people told him high int and ranks in knowledge (Architecture) don't fit the image of a fighter?

I do think it fits with the concept of a monk, depending on the build. The largest problem is that there aren't many high-level personal spells that are useful to cast at-will; by that level, nearly every personal spell is a day-long buff, or at least hours-long buff. And a few remainders are instead out-of-combat divinations or what have you. That's why I'd give 2 levels to choose from at 20; there still aren't many good candidates.

If you want to play up your kung-fu agility and resilience: Level 1, you can cast expeditious retreat, or accelerated movement or something (or swift ER, you're not using your swift every round). 4th level, Deflect (or balancing lorecall). 8th level, Fly! At 12th level, you learn to roundhouse kick arrows and spells (Friendly Fire). 16th level, Dragonsight. 20, Elemental Body.

If you want a more "I transcent the material plane through enlightenment" then it might look a bit different. At first level, you can fleetingly touch Akasha origin of all knowledge, gaining (Ancient Knowledge/Comprehend Languages/Whatever) at will. By level 4 you've learned to mold your mortal form (Alter Self) or hide it (Invisibility). At level 8 you can see the truth behind all things (Arcane Sight, Battlemagic Perception, Circle Dance, Devil's Eye, pick your poison). Level 12? Choose between Polymorph or celerity. At level 16 you can cast Greater Blink at will, or Contact Other Plane to play up your planar nature. At level 20 you get into your giant mech (Body of War) because screw being human.

If you want punching: 1- Critical Strike/Blood Wind/Fists of Stone, 4- Bladeweave (or Long Grasp from BoVD), 8- Ferocity of Sanguine Rage (maybe Dragonskin), 12- Fire Shield, 16- Lightning Leap is hilarious, 20- Eladrin Form goes well with becoming an outsider, don't you think?

How about spells that are basically Ki powers (AKA light you on fire) or feel like monk class abilities? 1- Mage Armor/Divine Favor, 4-Balor Nimbus, 8- Body Blaze gives you a tron-style afterglow, 12-Dimension Door or greater invisibility sound pretty good to me, 16 - Heart of Fire, 20-Contingency, Eyes of the oracle, or glimpse of the prophecy. Pick one, you're a 20th level monk.

If you want to pretend you're an ozodrin, there's plenty of spells for that. I like Gutsnake and the tentacle-growing suite.

Edit: This exercise just made me realize that one spell/4 levels is a really limiting build if you want to get into tier 3. I'd say, combine it with some chassis upgrades or add more spells.

Troacctid
2015-07-08, 10:59 PM
It can fit the flavor of a monk if you want to play a monk. If you don't, then why are you letting "flavor of a monk" dictate your build? Did Roy go to wizard college when people told him high int and ranks in knowledge (Architecture) don't fit the image of a fighter?

Because it's in the context of redesigning the class, not building an individual character. One of the goals of the design should be to match the desired flavor. The Sorcerer/Wizard list does a poor job of that. The Psychic Warrior list would make a lot more sense.