PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Lycanthropy and You

Venico
2015-07-07, 11:54 PM
I recently got a new character in a campaign due to my last character leaving for IC reasons. He was kind of under leveled because he was meant to be a Joe Schmoe soldier in an army (Phalanx Soldier archetype now level 6). My DM wanted to give me a neat option to adjust for that which fit the character...Natural Lycanthropy! Namely, being a werewolf.

I was down for it and adjusted accordingly. However, my knowledge on this mechanic isn't very deep and my search hasn't been very fruitful so I'd like to clarify a few things.

1) In my hybrid form, am I still proficient with everything I am in human form? Does it transform with me?

2) As a Natural Lycanthrope, am I still affected involuntarily by full moons?

3) It says I can communicate "with animals related to their animal form." Does this include dogs for a werewolf? What are the boundaries for communicate? Conversations or just sharing general emotions and vague meanings?

4) Are there any feats or items that might enhance this ability? I'd like to make it worth it since I'm paying two levels for it.

Thanks for any advice in advance. :)

Hazrond
2015-07-08, 12:47 AM
I recently got a new character in a campaign due to my last character leaving for IC reasons. He was kind of under leveled because he was meant to be a Joe Schmoe soldier in an army (Phalanx Soldier archetype now level 6). My DM wanted to give me a neat option to adjust for that which fit the character...Natural Lycanthropy! Namely, being a werewolf.

I was down for it and adjusted accordingly. However, my knowledge on this mechanic isn't very deep and my search hasn't been very fruitful so I'd like to clarify a few things.

1) In my hybrid form, am I still proficient with everything I am in human form? Does it transform with me? Yes, proficiency is not affected, as for transformation you would need to ask your DM

2) As a Natural Lycanthrope, am I still affected involuntarily by full moons? nope, thats only for Afflicted ones

3) It says I can communicate "with animals related to their animal form." Does this include dogs for a werewolf? What are the boundaries for communicate? Conversations or just sharing general emotions and vague meanings? Considering you use Diplomacy to interact instead of Handle Animal it seems to imply you can talk and understand them fully, as for a werewolf i believe you would understand canines of all varieties

4) Are there any feats or items that might enhance this ability? I'd like to make it worth it since I'm paying two levels for it. im unsure, but you might want to check the Monster Codex, there may also be feats and such for it in the player compainion book Blood of the Moon

illyahr
2015-07-08, 11:43 AM

1) In my hybrid form, am I still proficient with everything I am in human form? Does it transform with me?

You are still proficient, you just might lose fine motor skills as your body changes a bit. Your hybrid form is halfway between one form and another. With the classic werewolf example, the hybrid form is the bipedal wolf, the one that stands up on two legs.

When in hybrid form, your size changes (if different) to that of the animal and you gain physical characteristics of the animal form.

2) As a Natural Lycanthrope, am I still affected involuntarily by full moons?

Nope. Natural lycanthropes have full control over their shapeshifting and can change forms whenever they feel like it.

3) It says I can communicate "with animals related to their animal form." Does this include dogs for a werewolf? What are the boundaries for communicate? Conversations or just sharing general emotions and vague meanings?

Animals don't really 'speak' as such but you can understand what they want and make your needs known to anything that is similar to your animal form. For werewolves, this would include wolves, dogs, foxes, etc.

4) Are there any feats or items that might enhance this ability? I'd like to make it worth it since I'm paying two levels for it.

Thanks for any advice in advance. :)

Improved Natural Attack will increase the damage you do by a size category. Multiattack will let you use your secondary attacks at a -2 penalty instead of a -5 penalty.

I would also look into the PrC called Warshaper. It's a 5-level that lets you shape parts of yourself as needed and even speed up the transformation.

Seto
2015-07-08, 12:03 PM
Multiattack will let you use your secondary attacks at a -2 penalty instead of a -5 penalty.

Secondary attacks that... werewolves do not have in animal form, only in hybrid form... (yeah, I was disappointed)

Psyren
2015-07-08, 12:06 PM
Secondary attacks that... werewolves do not have in animal form, only in hybrid form... (yeah, I was disappointed)

In animal form its attack (a bite) would be primary, wouldn't it?

Seto
2015-07-08, 12:09 PM
In animal form its attack (a bite) would be primary, wouldn't it?

Yes. I meant I was disappointed that I could bite things as a wolf for 1d6+STR damage but not also rip them apart with claws. Why be a werewolf if not for the brutality :smallannoyed: (I know, I know, hybrid forms are better anyway)

Psyren
2015-07-08, 12:39 PM
Hybrid werewolves - and regular wolves/direwolves for that matter - don't have claws either though, at least not that I could see in the statblock. (Judging by the art the hybrids probably should, but unfortunately art is just fluff.) Weretigers, werebears and the like are another matter of course.

Seto
2015-07-08, 12:48 PM
Hybrid werewolves - and regular wolves/direwolves for that matter - don't have claws either though, at least not that I could see in the statblock. (Judging by the art the hybrids probably should, but unfortunately art is just fluff.) Weretigers, werebears and the like are another matter of course.

They do. (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Werewolf) (And I've checked the original MM, too)

Venico
2015-07-08, 03:17 PM
Any advice as to how I can best use this to my advantage? As it stands it seems to be a small bonus to Str and Con along with some solid DR/silver that I can pop as a move action. Granted this is at the risk of people who think I'm an unnatural abomination smiting me from the face of the world, so I want to do my best in order to make sure I'm getting the most bang for my hide.

illyahr
2015-07-08, 03:25 PM
Wear a carnival vest and a fez. It doesn't matter what kind of creature you are if you look like you're from the circus. :smallbiggrin:

Venico
2015-07-08, 03:29 PM
Wear a carnival vest and a fez. It doesn't matter what kind of creature you are if you look like you're from the circus. :smallbiggrin:

I...if only my charisma wasn't 6 I might be able to lie and pull this off. Party face might be able to help. *rubs hands and goes to plan*

Psyren
2015-07-08, 04:35 PM
They do. (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Werewolf) (And I've checked the original MM, too)

I'm talking about the PF Werewolf as this is a PF thread.

Any advice as to how I can best use this to my advantage? As it stands it seems to be a small bonus to Str and Con along with some solid DR/silver that I can pop as a move action. Granted this is at the risk of people who think I'm an unnatural abomination smiting me from the face of the world, so I want to do my best in order to make sure I'm getting the most bang for my hide.

It's a +1 template, it's only going to take you so far. The DR is pretty hefty at low levels. Don't forget the +2 Wis also as that will factor into your Perception and will.

Don't forget also that in hybrid or animal form, you always get the higher stat of your humanoid or animal form. So your stats could increase dramatically and THEN add the bonus on top. For example, if you have a Str penalty normally, this is a pretty sweet deal for you.