PDA

View Full Version : Rolled godly stats:help me make a bladelock

The Shadowdove
2015-07-08, 09:12 AM
Hey guys,

I just rolls awesome stats, much to my dms dismay as they watched, and I want to make my first blade pact warlock!

Here they are:

The plan is coolness factor while being able blast, mash, smash, and shrug off hits! To inspire fear into my enemies with my dark abilities as I wade into combat throwing enemies aloft with spells and slamming into them with a cruel and terrifying looking weapon. To make their attacks against me something they regret!

I also love itemization and the use of things that might hinder enemies or be useful in odd situations. (Ball bearings, buckets of oil/tar/caltrop/metal tripwires, whatever)

i don't know which is better.. Strength or dex as a primary physical attribute..,

Multiclassing is fine. Although I'd prefer to be primarily warlock. Either way, optimize away!

Let's get started:

1) build(classes). Race.
2) stat distribution
3) items (weapon/armor/backpack/etc)
4) spells/invocations
5) feats/asi
6) what a round would look like as this character
7) any cool ideas, tips, tricks, and/or stories!

Have fun making this up everyone. I always am surprised by the things giantitp members come up with. I'm nowhere near an expert and love all of the creativity and helpfulness.

Thanks in advance,

Dove

mephnick
2015-07-08, 09:15 AM
With stats like that I'd be motivated not to optimize it.

The Shadowdove
2015-07-08, 09:31 AM
With stats like that I'd be motivated not to optimize it.

Honestly, normally I prefer to have mediocre stats and a pure class whatever. Famously a mobile feat monk that runs in and out of combat hindering enemies and mashing them from different angles, only to run off and shove another enemy off of their perch next round and pull a lever or steal their extr javelins.

That way I put everyone to shame with my use of terrain/items/well picked allies/etc.

But, this time, I want to be the guy cutting through foes without any fear for my aching health pool and the knowledge that my physical prowess is the match for my magical abilities.

To be at the head of the bloodbath, making my enemies tremble in their rich leather boots.

To let my characters ego swell a bit so that when he's defeated he is baffled and must look at things differently.

I want to be more than the party utility class and more the party unstoppable (whatever that means) fear inspiring killing machine.

Ace Jackson
2015-07-08, 10:02 AM
Honestly, normally I prefer to have mediocre stats and a pure class whatever. Famously a mobile feat monk that runs in and out of combat hindering enemies and mashing them from different angles, only to run off and shove another enemy off of their perch next round and pull a lever or steal their extr javelins.

That way I put everyone to shame with my use of terrain/items/well picked allies/etc.

But, this time, I want to be the guy cutting through foes without any fear for my aching health pool and the knowledge that my physical prowess is the match for my magical abilities.

To be at the head of the bloodbath, making my enemies tremble in their rich leather boots.

To let my characters ego swell a bit so that when he's defeated he is baffled and must look at things differently.

I want to be more than the party utility class and more the party unstoppable (whatever that means) fear inspiring killing machine.

Offhand, I'd say 18 con, 18 cha, 17 str, 17 dex, 15 and 12 to be placed between int and wis at your discretion. Con needs no discussion, cha is still your casting stat, and helps you be a proud warrior without people thinking your unbearably arrogant, that is unless you want them to do so as an underestimation of your abilities. Str primary helps with wielding a great sword to cut through them, dex is high since warlocks have light but not medium armor. Picking up GWM when you can.

Again offhand starting proposal. I'd wager someone with more experience can make a compelling case for something else.

Edit, alternatively, swap the 18s and 17s if desired and take a split ASI to have four 18s.

The Shadowdove
2015-07-08, 11:59 AM
What about variant human

Start with 4 18's.

Charisma, Dex, str, con.

Then some feat at level one?

numerek
2015-07-08, 12:11 PM
Its pretty standard stuff you save yourself 2 feats by having good stats(vs point buy) and you have better dexterity, constitution and wisdom than you otherwise would.

variant human
strength 18
dexterity 18
constitution 18
intelligence 12
wisdom 15
charisma 18
plus polearm master start with quarterstaff
when you reach level 3 create a halberd.

warlock blade fiend 17 +2 strength great weapon master +2 charisma warcaster
foresight
invocations
Devil's Sight less important if your dm doesn't penalize for low light.
Thirsting Blade
Lifedrinker
agonizing blast can't always hit stuff with your halberd and good with warcaster if you get non-polearm master attacks of opportunity.
The rest aren't hugely useful to a death machine. so take the 2 you want

spells
armor of agathys
hex
are going to really be the only spells your casting until you get a 3rd spell slot. So you can take whatever other utility spells you want but know that casting any of them could mean you will be less effective next combat. once you can cast a 3rd spell fire shield is pretty good if you need the resistance it can provide and or the creatures your fighting aren't resistant or immune to it, otherwise mirror image is good damage mitigation. away from book but if 17 is enough to get 4th spell slot then you can have both up or save some slots for recast.

after that there are many dip options to name a few.
fighter battle master 3 precision strike +d8 to hit works nice with great weapon master, great weapon fighting
or
fighter champion with foresight that is a 19% chance to critical but criticals only add d10 or d4., great weapon fighting
or
paladin devotion 3 +5 to hit works nice with great weapon master, smite'em if you got'em, great weapon fighting
or
sorcerer 3 can extend foresight to be 24 hours, can use slots to cast hex, can convert 5th level short rest slots into additional 2nd level slots.

The Shadowdove
2015-07-08, 12:14 PM
oh wow, that's all makes a lot of sense...

Warlocks get some sweet spells.

If im going to go for a heavy class eventually, would it make sense totake lvl 1 as paladin/fighter/x for heavy armor?

Easy_Lee
2015-07-08, 12:21 PM

If im going to go for a heavy class eventually, would it make sense totake lvl 1 as paladin/fighter/x for heavy armor?

One of the most popular variants is just that. Start variant human fighter 1 with polearm mastery and great weapon fighting style. Take 2-20 in bladelock, use heavy armor and a glaive, and look at picking up war caster at some point. Your main stats are STR>CHA>CON.

You have a high starting HP and CON saving throw prof, which is very useful for a caster. You get the best armor. Your spell progression is only delayed by one point, and your damage output will be top class for the first 13 levels. If you really want to munchkin it, use a quarterstaff and shield with the dueling fighting style and add +2 to your bonus attacks. Regardless, invocations should include your blade ones, Agonizing Blast, and Devil's Sight. Spells should be used primarily to keep you alive and control enemies, since your damage will be good enough as is.

Ralanr
2015-07-08, 12:29 PM
I'd actually suggest not going variant human. Dragonborn, dwarf (mountain) and half-Orc bring your strength up to cap at level 1.

Dragonborn bring cha to 18.
Half-elves give cap cha and two more 18.

Ok half-elf seems like a great choice. I'd pick dragonborn, but I like them.

Get warcaster at level 4. Get your weapon feat at 8. Either GWM, shield master, or polearm master. Not optimization, since if you make yourself too powerful people may give bad looks at you.

WampDiesel
2015-07-08, 12:31 PM
Remember when multiclassing you don't get all of the new abilities of the class (specifically saves) and only get what is listed on the table on page 164. If you'll notice no multiclass options get heavy armor proficiency. The only way to get heavy armor through multiclassing is picking up cleric of (life, tempest, war) for the bonus proficiency at lvl 1.

If you are thinking of going heavy armor at all I would start off as a FTR at lvl 1. More max HP at lvl 1 plus proficiency in CON saves means your character will be able to maintain concentration on hex easier and can take a slightly bigger beating.

Also it makes a little more sense to me thematically for someone to start off as a regular fighter then gain arcane power through some sort of pact than for someone to go back to mundane fighting after becoming a demigod through their pact magic.

numerek
2015-07-08, 04:14 PM

Yeah I was going the don't delay things route, starting as 1 in either class gets you some benefits but you don't get extra attack at level 5, you don't get your 3rd spell slot at 11th, you don't get life drinker at level 12, your armor of agathys is lower every other level, all your ASI's come later and quite possibly most important if you are playing this long is you don't get foresight at level 17, this spell is insane especially if you can at level 20 extend it to last 24 hours for 2 sorcery point, you will have perpetual advantage.

I do agree constitution saving throw proficiency is good, great weapon fighting on a d10 is 1.25, on a d4 is .5 damage on average. heavy armor will beat your light armor by 2 ac(once you can afford it I think your starting ac would be the same unless you go stick and board) and you can start with a halberd which beats quarterstaff by 1 damage(versatile d8). You also get a short rest hp recovery. You can lessen the ac gap by taking at will mage armor still down by 1.

Its up to you I think the biggest thing is the constitution proficiency, depending on your dm losing concentration on hex can really lower your dpr for awhile. The other things I don't see as being hugely important.

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-09, 08:55 AM
Hey guys,

I just rolls awesome stats, much to my dms dismay as they watched, and I want to make my first blade pact warlock!

Here they are:

The plan is coolness factor while being able blast, mash, smash, and shrug off hits! To inspire fear into my enemies with my dark abilities as I wade into combat throwing enemies aloft with spells and slamming into them with a cruel and terrifying looking weapon. To make their attacks against me something they regret!

I also love itemization and the use of things that might hinder enemies or be useful in odd situations. (Ball bearings, buckets of oil/tar/caltrop/metal tripwires, whatever)

i don't know which is better.. Strength or dex as a primary physical attribute..,

Multiclassing is fine. Although I'd prefer to be primarily warlock. Either way, optimize away!

Let's get started:

1) build(classes). Race.
2) stat distribution
4) spells/invocations
5) feats/asi

Have fun making this up everyone. I always am surprised by the things giantitp members come up with. I'm nowhere near an expert and love all of the creativity and helpfulness.

Thanks in advance,

Dove
Go for levels in paladin and/or fighter.

Get half elf and go for 20STR, 18CON, 18CHA, 18DEX.

Get the dual wielder or polearm master feat. With polearm master you can go for GWM.

Armor of agathys and hex.

Go for 20CHA, and you have 4 more improvements for feats.

Jeebs
2015-07-09, 10:01 AM
Normally I'd build a Bladelock with that 1 level Fighter dip for Heavy Armor, but in this case, I'd definitely just use Light Armor or the Mage Armor invocation, putting one of your 18s or 17s into DEX. You can potentially max STR, DEX, CON, CHA, and still have room for a feat or two (I like Great Weapon Master and Resilient).

By maxing two semi-redundant stats (STR and DEX), you're avoiding too much optimization, allowing the rest of the party to shine. Also though, your character can get all sorts of benefits from that DEX (no need to multiclass, Initiative, Stealth, etc).

I'd go Half-Elf, get 20 CHA from level one, increase two of your 17s to 18, and go from there. Variant Human is great too, especially if you're having a hard time squeezing feats in around all those maxed stats.

Hawkstar
2015-07-09, 10:21 AM
I suggest Pure Warlock, and Greatsword, or possibly a Glaive, because Glaives are cool.

Dragonborn is nice, but so is Half-orc for getting a 20 and 2 18s. If you go Variant Human, you can grab Medium Armor Proficiency, and get 18, 18, 18, 18, 16, 12. Or Dwarf, for 17, 17, 20, 12, 16, 18 and a BUNCH of hit points.

Ralanr
2015-07-09, 10:24 AM
Dwarves never say die.

XD

JellyPooga
2015-07-09, 10:43 AM
With stats like that, I'd be tempted to throw a level or two of Barbarian into the mix and go unarmoured just for kicks. Any Race that give +2 Con or Dex (including Variant Human with the right Feat Choice) will get you a 19AC without all that cumbersome plate mail obscuring your manly pecs...

The Shadowdove
2015-07-09, 10:50 AM
What about this polearm master+2damage with 1 handed weapon fighting style+ shield combo I seeing people mention?

Would it be better to use both strength and dexterity weapons?

What kind of armor is going to net me more defense/other bonuses?

If I don't get a substantial ac bonus from plate armor with maxed strength and dex (eventually/maybe?), is a dexterity character wielding heavy weapons a better way to go?

Ralanr
2015-07-09, 11:01 AM
With stats like that, I'd be tempted to throw a level or two of Barbarian into the mix and go unarmoured just for kicks. Any Race that give +2 Con or Dex (including Variant Human with the right Feat Choice) will get you a 19AC without all that cumbersome plate mail obscuring your manly pecs...

Oh yes. Fiend pact, AoA, fire shield. Combined with reckless attack and Eldrich blast for when your on the range.

Hell you can even just get feats instead of stat increases if you set it up right.

Mechaviking
2015-07-09, 11:05 AM
Not exactly a bladelock but someone posted this build:

Eldritch knight 8/Warlock 2/Rogue rest

Human variant & crossbow expert

Focus dex and cha, with your stats you have across the board good saves

You can switch hit either magic or physical and if you melee you can pick the duelist rogue for auto sneak attacks in melee, oh and youŽll be pretty much unhittable with 2 shield spells per fight, once you hit 5 rogue you can half the damage of the critical hits you canŽt shield and on rogue 3 youŽll almost always be first.

Use a heavy crossbow and a rapier unless better magical items drop into your lap, then just ebŽs and rapier(or insert magic weapon here, hopefully sunblade).

Actually a point buy viable build and with your stats you can ditch EK level 8 for a faster warlock/rogue progression.

[Edit]

Oh yes. Fiend pact, AoA, fire shield. Combined with reckless attack and Eldrich blast for when your on the range.

Hell you can even just get feats instead of stat increases if you set it up right.

Barbarian with polearm, dueling, rage, bladelock charisma and all that sheninigance on damage, with versatility too boot. ****ty crits but pretty solid damage on normals.

Malifice
2015-07-09, 11:11 AM
What about this polearm master+2damage with 1 handed weapon fighting style+ shield combo I seeing people mention?

Would it be better to use both strength and dexterity weapons?

What kind of armor is going to net me more defense/other bonuses?

If I don't get a substantial ac bonus from plate armor with maxed strength and dex (eventually/maybe?), is a dexterity character wielding heavy weapons a better way to go?

Multiclass fighter is the best way for Bladelock. Take it at 1st for heavy armor. The other way is paladin 6 and warlock 14.

That said a monk dip could work too. Variant human with resilient (wisdom) for your feat (wisdom 20 at 1st level) and Dex 18/ Cha 18.

AC 19 at first level. Martial arts / flurry plus hex for pretty solid DPR.

Still. Bladelocks suck for Melee DPR

Ralanr
2015-07-09, 11:32 AM
If heavy armor is the only reason why paladin and fighter are better for dip, I'd still recommend the barbarian dip if you have the con to pull it off.

Though if you aren't melee focused or want to cast spells in between hitting people, fighter or paladin are better. Rage no casty the spells

JellyPooga
2015-07-09, 06:08 PM
Rage no casty the spells

Psh! Real men don't cast spells, they just harness arcane forces to supplement their innate manliness.

I'd go:

Str: 17
Dex: 18
Con: 18
Int: 12
Wis: 15
Cha: 17

Variant Human (+1 Str, +1 Cha), Barbarian 1st level, Feat: Resilient (Wisdom). Giving you a starting stat block of:

Str: 18
Dex: 18
Con: 18
Int: 12
Wis: 16
Cha: 18

You've got Str, Con and Wis Save proficiency, AC: 18 (20 with shield) and 16 HP at 1st.

Then go Warlock for 3 levels to activate Bladelock goodness. Whatever weapon you decide to use, you're looking at [Weapon]+4 (str) +4 (Cha) +2 (Rage) damage per attack. Cast Hex before raging and that increases by 1d6.

Personally, I'd be tempted to throw in a level of Rogue at this point, but that's just my predilection for Rogues and my love of Expertise.

More in-keeping with the Bladelock thing, I'd go Barbarian (2) then Warlock all the way. You don't get your 2nd Attack until 7th (I think; AFB right now and not that familiar with Pact of the Blade Warlocks), or 8th if you dipped Rogue.

At this point, you've got truly manly damage in melee, a plethora of spellcasting options before entering Rage and an AC to rival the best equipped noble (plus Roguishness, if you go for it...you really should; a level of Rogue helps every build except pure Caster).

Ralanr
2015-07-09, 06:22 PM
You have a few errors. Blade locks can't add charisma damage until level 12 of warlock which gives the second blade invocation.

You also can't hold concentration while in rage.

Barbarian warlock can go more warlock or more barbarian, the play styles being a bit different for each way.

Unless you have a free hand, warcaster. Even with warcaster it doesn't cover components (though I imagine it's not difficult to let a two hander take a hand off for spell casting)

I think the better path is warlock17/barbarian 3. Gives you access to level 9 mystic arcanum.

The build in combat should focus on non concentration buffs.

Though a rogue dip is always awesome. Extra skill and expertise.

JellyPooga
2015-07-09, 06:30 PM
You have a few errors. Blade locks can't add charisma damage until level 12 of warlock which gives the second blade invocation.

You also can't hold concentration while in rage.

Urgh. Well that sucks. In that case, I recommend not going Warlock at all. I'd just go Barbarian/Rogue; excellent synergy between those two classes and with those stats, anything is good. Not, I suppose, that's any help to you if you're set on Warlock... :smallwink:

EvilAnagram
2015-07-09, 06:31 PM

A good way to go about it would be to take a few levels in Paladin for smites. In fact, Six levels of Paladin and fourteen levels of Warlock is probably the best way to go about things over the long haul.

At max Str and Cha, with GWF and Polearm Master, you can attack twice per turn with a bonus attack to boot, deal a total of 1d4+2d10+30+Smite damage every turn, for a total of 57 damage when you don't smite, and six opportunities to smite for a lot more.

Ralanr
2015-07-09, 06:50 PM
Urgh. Well that sucks. In that case, I recommend not going Warlock at all. I'd just go Barbarian/Rogue; excellent synergy between those two classes and with those stats, anything is good. Not, I suppose, that's any help to you if you're set on Warlock... :smallwink:

Great synergy. Add in some fighter and you got a nonmagical nightmare. Depending on how it's built of course.

Hawkstar
2015-07-09, 09:05 PM
Barbarian is best class ever if you can get godly stats like that. Barbarian is most MAD class in the game. Go normal, not variant human. Then you may miss out on a feat at level 1... but your stats are 19/19/18/18/16/13.

A single ASI gets your 19s to 20s, and two to get 20/20/20, you get to have an 18 in Charisma and 16 in Wisdom (Or reverse), with a nice 13 in INT, so he's not even stupid.

The adventure is now clothing-optional!

Of course, you don't even need to Rage as a Barbarian. Instead of Raging being your primary attack, it's nice for mopping up encounters not worth wasting spells on. So, Barbarian 4, Warlock 16 will cost you... ack, two spell levels. SO, you'll probably want to go Barbarian 2/Warlock 16/Barbarian 2.

Submortimer
2015-07-09, 09:12 PM
Hey guys,

Here they are:

Let's get started:

1) build(classes). Race.
2) stat distribution
4) spells/invocations
5) feats/asi

Thanks in advance,

Dove

Race: Half Elf. +2 Cha, +1 Str, +1 Con

Stats
STR 18
DEX 15
CON 18
INT 12
WIS 18
CHA 20

1st - 5th level: Paladin, Oathbreaker, GWF
6th-9th: Warlock, Bladelock
10th-12th: Paladin
13th - 20th: Warlock
ASI at 4th: Feat: GWM
ASI at 12th: Feat: Polearm Master
ASI at 13th: +2 STR

This nets you and your party +Cha mod to saves AND melee attacks, which eventually stacks with lifedrinker, allowing you to stack Cha twice (with GWM, that's 1d10+25+1d10+25+1d4+25 damage a round). If also leaves an invocation slot open due to not having to take Thirsting blade, since you get the extra attack from Paladin.

Want more warlock?

1st level: Fighter, Dueling
2nd level - 20th Level: Warlock
ASI at 5th: Polearm Master
ASI at 9th: +2 Strength

Go Quarterstaff + shield. At level 12, with hex, you're looking at 1d6+12+1d6+12+1d4+12+3d6 (56 damage avg) a round. Not only that, 20 AC.

EvilAnagram
2015-07-09, 09:40 PM
Race: Half Elf. +2 Cha, +1 Str, +1 Con

Stats
STR 18
DEX 15
CON 18
INT 12
WIS 18
CHA 20

1st - 5th level: Paladin, Oathbreaker, GWF
6th-9th: Warlock, Bladelock
10th-12th: Paladin
13th - 20th: Warlock
ASI at 4th: Feat: GWM
ASI at 12th: Feat: Polearm Master
ASI at 13th: +2 STR

A few problems with this build:
GWM is redundant if you have Polearm Master.
Using this order, you don't get the Warlock's +CHA to damage until level 20.
Oathbreaker requires DM permission.
You're losing the variant human feat.
You're losing the DEX boost to AC in order to get WIS for some reason.

Ralanr
2015-07-09, 09:59 PM

With the stats as is, I don't think variant human is as needed.

Submortimer
2015-07-09, 10:01 PM

Here's why I made those choices:

GWM is not redundant if you have Polearm Master, you're using it to get the Power Attack option.
Using this order, you get the Paladin's +CHA to saves at level 11, and +CHA to damage at level 12, same as straight warlock.
Oathbreaker does requires DM permission, that's true.
Variant human feat isn't needed. The +2 Cha from Half Elf is essentially the same thing.
You don't need the DEX boost to AC because you will be wearing full plate. WIS saves are quite common, and also boosts perception.

The Shadowdove
2015-07-09, 10:12 PM
I like the 1-20 layout thought.

What would a fighter/bladelock look like 1-20

and a monk/bladelock?

Try variant human with 4 18's at lvl 1.

Ralanr
2015-07-09, 10:14 PM
I like the 1-20 layout thought.

What would a fighter/bladelock look like 1-20

and a monk/bladelock?

Try variant human with 4 18's at lvl 1.

I'm not even sure monks can apply...well if the pact weapon is a quarter staff then I guess they could.

EvilAnagram
2015-07-09, 10:47 PM
Here's why I made those choices:

GWM is not redundant if you have Polearm Master, you're using it to get the Power Attack option.
Using this order, you get the Paladin's +CHA to saves at level 11, and +CHA to damage at level 12, same as straight warlock.
Oathbreaker does requires DM permission, that's true.
Variant human feat isn't needed. The +2 Cha from Half Elf is essentially the same thing.
You don't need the DEX boost to AC because you will be wearing full plate. WIS saves are quite common, and also boosts perception.

Half the GWM feat is wasted if you have Polearm Master. The Power attack isn't worth sacrificing half a feat.
I forgot about the Oathbreaker bonus to damage.
Variant human gives you Polearm Master when it provides you with the greatest advantage in combat, the first few levels of play. And at that point, a 20 Cha isn't going to be much better than an 18 Cha. Even the major threats at that level will max out at 16 AC or a +4 to a saving throw. An additional attack at that level is much more useful.
Dex saves are probably the most common and don't get a proficiency boost. At level 10, you'd have a +2 Dex save and a +8 Wis, but with 18 Dex you'd have a +4 Dex and a +6 Wis, so at least they'd both be useful. And an Initiative boost is at least as important as Perception. I suppose Plate does provide the most protection, though I personally prefer lighter armor, but that's just me.

Submortimer
2015-07-10, 12:04 AM
I'm not even sure monks can apply...well if the pact weapon is a quarter staff then I guess they could.

I've talked with a number of DM's, and our consensus is that Unarmed Strike is a viable candidate for a Pact Weapon. This is how i make my Akuma build work.

Submortimer
2015-07-10, 12:12 AM
Half the GWM feat is wasted if you have Polearm Master. The Power attack isn't worth sacrificing half a feat.
I forgot about the Oathbreaker bonus to damage.
Variant human gives you Polearm Master when it provides you with the greatest advantage in combat, the first few levels of play. And at that point, a 20 Cha isn't going to be much better than an 18 Cha. Even the major threats at that level will max out at 16 AC or a +4 to a saving throw. An additional attack at that level is much more useful.
Dex saves are probably the most common and don't get a proficiency boost. At level 10, you'd have a +2 Dex save and a +8 Wis, but with 18 Dex you'd have a +4 Dex and a +6 Wis, so at least they'd both be useful. And an Initiative boost is at least as important as Perception. I suppose Plate does provide the most protection, though I personally prefer lighter armor, but that's just me.

It's not wasted. PM lets you use your Bonus action to attack ALL the time. GWM lets you Power attack, and when Cleave pops up, you're doing more damage than you otherwise would be. In any case, Power Attack alone is more than worth the feat: At around level 12, You'll be swinging with a +9 to hit, dealing +15 damage; Swapping that out for a +4 to hit and +25 to damage isn't a bad proposition.
Honestly, it's a toss up of half-elf or human. Human gets you a feat and a skill, half elf gets you better starting stats, some resistances, and Darkvision. You'll be fine either way.
Dex Saves are very common, true, but this build won't be hurting on saves anyways. At level 10, when he gets his 6th level of paladin, he'll have a +7 to dex saves and a +13 to Wis saves. I, honestly, tend to pick one physical stat or the other (strength or dex) and forgo the other one, and I'm particularly fond of Wisdom since it affects so many out of combat skills.

Edit: I forgot, Warlock Invocations are based around Warlock level, not Character level.

Ralanr
2015-07-10, 12:31 AM
I'd go half-elf. Max stat at level one is very good

Hawkstar
2015-07-10, 08:10 AM
Bah... there's a lot of terrible advice in this thread, some of it from me.

What you should do is play the Great Ozymandias (Or Oziwomandias, if you prefer the fairer sex).

Your race should be Human, not Variant. Nothing more, nothing less. Variant is great if you want to specialize, but specializing implies you're not good at everything, which you are. The only thing better than all high stats is all even higher stats. Furthermore, forget Multiclassing. No need to dilute your awesome among many classes, when it all fits into one.

So, you should go Human, with stats of 19, 18, 18, 13, 16, 19. You're the mightiest hero ever.

Now... for Background, you should grab either Noble, because nothing less is suitable for one as awesome as you. Or you should go Soldier - the fated conqueror of the world would not be suited by any other profession. Also, Soldier background gikes proficiency in Land Vehicles, so you can ride in a mighty chariot (This is very important).

Anyway. At level 1, you're on you're way to Godhood. I suggest History and Arcana as known skills, since your background gives you Intimidation and Athletics (Greatest skill in the game). The only patron worth anything is Fiend, allowing you to blast away everything, and reap the benefits of your conquest as your enemies fall before you, and you forge your destiny of awesome. Of course, you should wear the best armor you can afford at this point, though you'll shed it later. While you're skilled with you're glaive stave, you should have Eldritch Blast to let you shoot enemies with your bladed staff from afar like Jafar. The other cantrip can be pretty much anything. Presdigitation's always nice, unless you can somehow get Thaumaturgy instead. As for spells, the favored Armor of Agathys and Hex are good enough for now, but as you gain power, you can explore other options.

At level 2, you get your invocations. You should get Armor of Shadows, giving you AC 18, and allowing you to shed your actual armor, and bear the 19 STR and CHA on your chest with pride. For an outfit, you should go for the classic awesome outfit - a chest-baring Egyptian-style mantle, ornate kilt, and solid-soled sandals. A headdress is optional. You're still a level away from getting your weapon, but you should probably improve your Eldritch Blast ability - either with Agonizing Blast to put your charisma to use in frying foes, or Eldritch Spear, to destroy your enemies from a distance, since you'll be getting your weapon next level.

At level 3, you finally get your weapon. Pact of the Blade, of course. Now, someone of your stature deserves a mighty stave, since you're not a slave. But not one suited for just any common knave. Make it a glaive. You also gain access to second-level spells.

For your fourth level, you have a choice. You can choose to master your blade with a feat, or instead start on your path to mortal apotheosis through pushing your ability scores to the height of human potential, able to cap your Dexterity, Constitution, or Strength and Charisma at once. You also learn another cantrip. Mage Hand or Minor Illusion are good choices.

At fifth level... you're picking up Fireball as a spell - the workhorse of long-range, reliable blasting, and exclusive to your patron. You should also swap out one of your previous spells known for Flight, so that you can defy the full force of the world with ease. No enemies are safe from your destructive whims now! You're also getting the Thirsting Blade invocation, allowing you to strike as often as any so-called Soldier, and your Eldritch Blast shares that power.

As you continue to increase in power, you should pick up further boosts to your Eldritch Blast as you gain invocations, and max out your stats with your ASIs. Life Drinker is your level 12 invocation, but other than that, you're free to explore.

djreynolds
2015-07-10, 11:21 AM
Paladin Warlock. A god killer. 11 paladin and 9 warlock. Could go 12/8. But the designers are tricky.... Or just piss everyone off and play an expert or noble.

The Shadowdove
2015-07-10, 03:22 PM
How about this one

If I:

went full warlock
Half elf/human/or variant human
Maxed dex early (sometime before 10)
Still had 18 str
Still had 18/20 cha
Still had 18 con
Had shadow armor instead of normal armor

Which weapons / feats would be best

Perhaps still strength weapons with PM or GWF

Or maybe defensive duelist with a shield and finesse weapon

Perhaps a dex based tank that also slings spells and takes combat caster

Or a dex based tanky fighter who also uses high damage pole weapons

Expand on this?

I'm just at work and writing this between things / am not speaking from knowledge or any form of know how

EvilAnagram
2015-07-10, 04:45 PM
How about this one

If I:

went full warlock
Half elf/human/or variant human
Maxed dex early (sometime before 10)
Still had 18 str
Still had 18/20 cha
Still had 18 con
Had shadow armor instead of normal armor

Which weapons / feats would be best

Perhaps still strength weapons with PM or GWF

Or maybe defensive duelist with a shield and finesse weapon

Perhaps a dex based tank that also slings spells and takes combat caster

Or a dex based tanky fighter who also uses high damage pole weapons

Expand on this?

I'm just at work and writing this between things / am not speaking from knowledge or any form of know how

If you're going duelist, you're going to be maxing out at a d8 damage die regardless of whether you go Dex or Str. It's the best defensive option, and you'd have a solid 19 AC with a blade to boot.

*However*, you wouldn't have a hand free to cast with.

A tanky fighter with a polearm would be fine with that build, but you'd have an 18 AC.

The Shadowdove
2015-07-10, 05:16 PM
Variant human war caster level 1

Defensive duelist 4

20 dexterity at 8

20 cha at 12

Shadow armor/agonizing blast at 2

Add thirsting blade at 5

Devils sight at 7

Repelling blast or one with shadows at 9

Lifedrinker 12

Sound like a good order?

Otherwise typical str based 1fighter/19 warlock in plate armor

Fighter at 1st+ pole arm master +2damage fighting style

AgoniZing blast /Devils sight at 3

At 5th level asi from warlock +2 str

Thirsting blade at 6

One with shadows or repelling blast at 8

20 cha at 9

On with shadows or repelling blast at 10

Life drinker at 13

War caster or 20 con at13

Overall, more ac and 2 attacks at 5 for dex based. Needs use of an early invocation as armor.

Str based has potentially the same armor, and more damage with polearms. But it gets 2 attacks at 6 instead of 5. Also con as a primary save. And doesn't need armor of shadows invocation.

I like the thought of a black and shadowy magical breast plate that seems to move about me.

I just wish there were finesse able polearms...

Lolzyking
2015-07-11, 08:30 AM
with these kinds of stats from the rolls, I'd have the balls to do the akuma build

18 cha, 18 dex ,17 wisdom 17 con 15 str 12 int, variant huma with wis and con getting +1 and the warcaster feat.

X warlock and atleast 11 monk.

take blade, convince DM it is the pact of the fist.

sit back enjoy hex, flurry of blows and eldritch hadouken. Or if you want the most charisma in your damage as possible.

go devotion paladin/ warlock. 16 warlock 4 paladin. you get +15 damage to every attack just from charisma and the attack stat. with gwm you get +25 a swing, then you can smite with for an additional 5d8, along with your 1d6 hex.

The Shadowdove
2015-07-14, 04:24 PM
Original Rolls:

race-wise:

Variant human:

feat at level 1
+1 skill proficiency
17+1=18
+1 language
17+1=18

Drow:

20 (dex)
trance-leep
darkvision 120 feet
17+1=18(cha)
Drow magic: lvl1-dancing lights, lvl 3-faerie fire lvl 5-darkness(saves a spell)
Proficient: Rapier, short swords, hand crossbows
Languages: Elven/Common
Proficient: Perception

Fey ancestry: advantage vs charm-type spells/immune to sleep

Daylight Sensitivity: disadv on attackss/perception in direct sunlight
(Riddick style sunglasses?)
Half-Elf:

20 (cha)
+2 chosen skill proficiencies
darkvision:60 feet
17+1=18
Fey ancestry: advantage vs charm-type spells/immune to sleep