PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help building a lycan

Llewellyn
2015-07-08, 09:57 AM
Okay so I want to make a were-rabbit halfling scout. I have the abilities, the level adjustments and skills for the rabbit from another site. I just need help with HD and skills points to start with before adding the scout skill points. Also, she is a natural lycan so +3 adjustment.

Seto
2015-07-08, 11:02 AM
Ah, the famous Lycan trope... :smallbiggrin:
(ok, I'll admit I just posted for that. But while I'm here, might as well help you).

About the HD : you automatically get 2 animal HD. That's on top of the level adjustment. So, at the beginning, you'd be a Wererabbit 2/Scout 1 character for an Effective character level of 6 (3HD+3LA).
Animal HDs are d8. They have good Fort/Ref and bad Will, and 3/4 BBA (that's to say your animal HD grant you +1 BBA). They get 2+INT skill points per level, multiplied by 4 for the first level.
As a lycanthrope, you have a ton of additional traits, and Control Shape as a class skill. You asked about HD and skills ; but is there anything else you might need help with ? Lycanthropes can be confusing, I can tell because I made one two weeks ago and had to restart twice x)

Ruethgar
2015-07-08, 11:51 AM
The above is partially incorrect, Lycanthropes do get 2 animal HD, however Lepusthropes(were-rabbits) do not. The template adds however many HD the base animal has, it also requires a carnivore as the animal and no more than one size difference between the animal and humanoid/giant making small humanoids the only possible choice if your rabbits are tiny and carnivorous with big teeth.

For simplicity, I would suggest being a hengeyokai hare instead.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2015-07-08, 12:08 PM
I second the hengeyokai idea. The race is from Oriental Adventures, which is 3.0. OA, including the hengeyokai, was updated in Dragon 318 to 3.5.

ShurikVch
2015-07-08, 02:09 PM
I just need help with HD and skills points to start with before adding the scout skill points.The only rabbit in the 3.5 I'm aware of is a variant from the Dragon #341; it was just a re-fluffed cat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/cat.htm), thus have ½ HD
There are two different possibilities:
1) ½ HD is still a HD, thus your "lepus" will have 2 RHD, 8+d8+2(Con. mod.) hit points, and 5(2+Int. mod.) skill points
2) Anything and everything fractional in the game is rounded down unless it specifically says different; 1½ HD will be rounded down to 1 HD, which will be replaced with your first Scout level

Also, she is a natural lycan so +3 adjustment.Note: in Faerūn, natural lycans have only LA: +2

it also requires a carnivore as the animalLycanthrope (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lycanthrope.htm)
This animal can be any predator, scavenger, or omnivore

torrasque666
2015-07-08, 03:27 PM
Lycanthrope (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/lycanthrope.htm)
This animal can be any predator, scavenger, or omnivore
Of which rabbits are neither. Rabbits are not predators, "scavenger" refers to animals that eat carrion (decaying animal flesh), and omnivorous animals eat both plants and meat. Guess which isn't on a rabbit's diet?

ShurikVch
2015-07-08, 03:41 PM
Of which rabbits are neither. Rabbits are not predators, "scavenger" refers to animals that eat carrion (decaying animal flesh), and omnivorous animals eat both plants and meat. Guess which isn't on a rabbit's diet?Aren't all rodents are omnivorous by default?
Also, it may be just a one of self-qualifying cases: "It's legal, because it's exist". For example, there is WereWinter Wolf (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/winterWolf.htm) (not an Animal, but Magical Beast), and Weresheep (herbivorous animal)

ZamielVanWeber
2015-07-08, 03:58 PM
Aren't all rodents are omnivorous by default?
Also, it may be just a one of self-qualifying cases: "It's legal, because it's exist". For example, there is WereWinter Wolf (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/winterWolf.htm) (not an Animal, but Magical Beast), and Weresheep (herbivorous animal)

1) No. 2) Rabbits aren't rodents.

Llewellyn
2015-07-08, 04:07 PM
Ok so my lepusthrope will have 2 full RHD instead of the 1/4 HD that is on the template I found? If so, that'll be great and thank you everyone who has given tips.

Also, looked into the hengeyokai while it looks great I'm trying to make a small transforming creature and the hengeyokai need to be medium. Thanks though maybe for another creation.

Ruethgar
2015-07-08, 05:04 PM
If you want it small, just do what they did in Dragon #341 and refluff the cat part of the Tibbit to Rabbit.

Also, from the Monster Manual

Hit Dice and Hit Points: Same as the base creature plus those of the base animal. To calculate total hit points, apply Constitution modifiers according to the score the lycanthrope has in each form. For example, a human commoner with a Constitution score of 11 as a human and a Constitution score of 15 as a wolf has 1d4 plus 2d8+4 hit points.

So no, ShurikVch is wrong. A Were-Rabbit would have the sum of the base creature and base animal HD. So a Halfling Were-Rabbit Scout 1 has 1d8+1/4d8(based on your information on rabbits) HD. The 1/4 is counted as 1 for most purposes, though your DM may decide to waive it against your ECL. As a natural thrope, the 1/4 may be considered part of your one starting racial HD and thus potentially eliminated entirely upon gaining a scout level.

marphod
2015-07-09, 12:00 AM
(Most rodents are Herbivores for what it is worth, at least by choice. While many/most rodents can digest animal proteins opportunistically, it is usually a vanishingly small proportion of their diet. That said, early Rodents appear to have been omnivorous, and some rodents are primarily insectivores or carnivores.

Also, Rabbits are Lagomorpha, and most Lagomorpha are exclusively herbivores; most species cannot even opportunistically digest animal proteins. Unlike Rodents, Lagomorpha are not native to Australia. The best known Lagomorpha are Rabbits, Hares, and Pika.

There appears to be at least a few Orders of ancestors of Lagomorpha and Rodents before you find a common ancestor.

And now you know; and Knowing is half the Battle.)

ShurikVch
2015-07-09, 04:44 AM
(Most rodents are Herbivores for what it is worth, at least by choice. While many/most rodents can digest animal proteins opportunistically, it is usually a vanishingly small proportion of their diet. That said, early Rodents appear to have been omnivorous, and some rodents are primarily insectivores or carnivores.

Also, Rabbits are Lagomorpha, and most Lagomorpha are exclusively herbivores; most species cannot even opportunistically digest animal proteins. Unlike Rodents, Lagomorpha are not native to Australia. The best known Lagomorpha are Rabbits, Hares, and Pika.

There appears to be at least a few Orders of ancestors of Lagomorpha and Rodents before you find a common ancestor.

And now you know; and Knowing is half the Battle.)After I learned horses are, actually, can (and will) eat meat, I take all that "herbivore/omnivore" division with a pinch of salt
After all, major part of Brown Bear's usual diet is, in fact, not a meat, but Brown Bear still considered "predator"

atemu1234
2015-07-09, 12:26 PM
The above is partially incorrect, Lycanthropes do get 2 animal HD, however Lepusthropes(were-rabbits) do not. The template adds however many HD the base animal has, it also requires a carnivore as the animal and no more than one size difference between the animal and humanoid/giant making small humanoids the only possible choice if your rabbits are tiny and carnivorous with big teeth.

For simplicity, I would suggest being a hengeyokai hare instead.

Rabbits actually can and do hunt when normal food is not available.