PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Cool Head, Bloody Fists: Optimizing a Rage-less Teramach

Red Fel
2015-07-08, 01:27 PM
Hello again. I've got a fun one this time.

I've long been a fan of the homebrewed Mythos classes from these forums. In particular, the Teramach (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?286983-3-5-Base-Class-quot-I-want-to-live-inside-a-castle-built-of-your-agony!-quot) has captured my attention on more than one occasion; I doubt I'm alone in that regard.

For those unfamiliar, a quick explanation:

The Mythos classes are homebrew classes created by Xefas that use Mythos, abilities that describe the stories that the classes tell and are told about them. The classes are about around Tier 2 in terms of power and are intended to represent truly mythical characters who are far more powerful than the mundane citizens of the story that takes place around them. They are intended to be extremely high powered and fit in with the other Tier 1-2 classes for a high power game.

A Teramach is, by default, a melee combatant. However, unlike other classes designed to make strong melee characters, such as the Cleric or Druid, a Teramach specializes in violence to the point where it becomes, at higher levels especially, a sort of toolbox for them. Whereas a Druid might, after defeating a clan of kobolds with a powerful Wildshape, switch to clever spellcasting in order to bypass the mountain full of deadly traps between them and the Dragon within, fulfilling multiple roles, swapping between a square peg to fit a square hole to a triangle peg to fit a triangle hole, a Teramach forces his single role to fulfill all of his needs. He defeats the kobolds, sure, but he doesn't end his rampage just because something inconvenient lies between him and his prey. He climbs atop the mountain and crumbles it with his primordial rage, collapsing it upon the fool too cowardly to face him directly. He is a square peg, and if he doesn't fit, he will break the toy rather than compromise. Spellcasters force others to play by their rules. The Teramach tears everyone's rules apart and wields the tattered remains as an improvised bludgeoning weapon.

With that out of the way, here's the thing. The Teramach is the Mythos system's answer to the Barbarian, a character fueled by a rage so primal that it's practically its own entity. I want to build a Teramach, however, that doesn't use rage. Any rage. Here's what I mean by that: Some Teramach excellencies and mythos grant straightforward upgrades or abilities. For example, the God-Smashing Blow exceptional mythos makes you very good at knocking things down; it does not create rage, nor does it gain more power from rage. Such abilities are kosher. Some Teramach excellencies and mythos grant rage, or powers that take effect during a rage, or powers that are dependent upon a rage. For example, the All-Consuming Rampage Release exceptional mythos puts you into a rage. Such abilities are no good for this build. Some Teramach excellencies and mythos grant rage, or rage-related powers, but also have functions outside of rage. For example, the Tireless Abomination Vitality fantastic mythos grants Fast Healing while in a rage, but its basic manifestation Simmering Slaughter Preparation grants that ability also while not in a rage. Such abilities work for this build.
That's the goal. I want a savage, brutal Teramach... Who doesn't rage. (And no, that doesn't mean I want to play a Bellator.) And I could use your help.

As always, the rules: Sources: 3.0/3.5, first-party only, except for the Teramach class. Dragon Compendium is acceptable; Dragon Magazine is out. Races: Any. Classes: Teramach only. Alignment: Any. Bonus points if you can keep it north of Good. Levels: 1-20. Cheese: Playable.
Pencils up, and... CRUSH! KILL! DESTROY!