PDA

View Full Version : BIG Bug

JellyPooga
2007-04-30, 06:48 AM
O.k. I need some help with a character idea. Any suggestions are welcome.:smallbiggrin:

Here's the low-down; The whole character is based around being an Entomanthrope (Were-Bug), based off of the Giant Stag Beetle. That's pretty much all I got so far. What I'm after is as follows:

1) Character - I want some ideas for this characters personality, etc. o.k. so he can turn into a giant shiny black bug-like dude, but where's he from? what does he do? what's he like?

2) Build - I'm having trouble making him mechanically. I don't know what Race to use, what Class to have him or anything. The only real guideline I have is that he's likely to be a melee type, given the +12 he gets to Strength when in Hybrid form and his DR and that he has 7d8 worth of Vermin HD and +2 LA.

Ideas I've had so far include the following:
Race - Half-Ogre (Good Str/Con bonus to stack with Hybrid Form, Large Hybrid Form, but an extra +2 LA is all but crippling). Half-Orc (Again, higher Str, but the Int penalty increases to -4 with the Were-Bug template...ouch!). I would quite like to make it a Kobold (I like the idea of this diminutive figure of a Kobold twisting and growing into a hulking beast with armour plating stronger than full-plate mail), but there are 2 problems with that...1)the base creature can only be 1 size smaller than the base vermin and 2)the Hybrid form is based off of the base creature, not the base vermin.
Class - Barbarian (Fits the 'raging were-creature' theme). Druid (with a Vermin Companion instead of an Animal Companion...going for the "Were-Bug: Lord of all Bugs theme"). Rogue/Scout/Ninja (Might seem a little odd, but merely for the skill points, which he's going to be lacking somewhat with his Vermin HD and Int penalty)

3) Rules? - One thing I wasn't sure about the Entomanthrope template is this; The Vermin HD grant feats as usual (1 per 3 levels)...in this case, the Giant Stag Beetle has 7 HD, granting 2 feats. Given that these are kind of racial feats, could he take a Prestige Class without actually having a Base Class (if he meets the prerequisites, obviously)? I don't think it's particularly relevant, as a lot of PrC's are based on a Base Class anyway and can't function without them (or function to a lesser degree), but I was just curious.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm literally after some 'cool' ideas. I had the idea to make a Were-Stag Beetle and really like the imagery of the Hybrid Form and all that, but for the first time, I'm stumped about anything else about him sa a character. "Optimisation" is not really an issue (the character is unlikely to ever to be used in a game), so any suggestions that make a good character in a role-playing sense is preferable to merely a set of stats, but either are welcome. You'd be surprised at the character quirks and foibles that emerge from 'sets of stats' characters...after all, stats all represent something, so any purely mechanical suggestions will give me plenty of character ideas.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

KIDS
2007-04-30, 08:27 AM
I imagine what you want to do pretty much as the World of Warcraft's Qiraji/Sillithids.

I'm just curious, is this a character you want to play yourself, a NPC for some adventure of yours or etc...?
I'm pretty certain that you can hop right into a prestige class without ever taking a class level, just with your racial HD. If you have many natural attacks or something, I heartily recommend Ghost-Faced Killer (Complete Adventurer) if you can tweak its flavor a bit. A classic Rage/Frenzy approach also works good. If you have enough slashing attacks (I think bite/claws/pincers generally are slashing), a Dervish also makes for an impressive sight on the battlefield.

Starbuck_II
2007-04-30, 08:32 AM
O.k. I need some help with a character idea. Any suggestions are welcome.:smallbiggrin:

Here's the low-down; The whole character is based around being an Entomanthrope (Were-Bug), based off of the Giant Stag Beetle. That's pretty much all I got so far. What I'm after is as follows:

1) Character - I want some ideas for this characters personality, etc. o.k. so he can turn into a giant shiny black bug-like dude, but where's he from? what does he do? what's he like?

2) Build - I'm having trouble making him mechanically. I don't know what Race to use, what Class to have him or anything. The only real guideline I have is that he's likely to be a melee type, given the +12 he gets to Strength when in Hybrid form and his DR and that he has 7d8 worth of Vermin HD and +2 LA.

Ideas I've had so far include the following:
Race - Half-Ogre (Good Str/Con bonus to stack with Hybrid Form, Large Hybrid Form, but an extra +2 LA is all but crippling). Half-Orc (Again, higher Str, but the Int penalty increases to -4 with the Were-Bug template...ouch!). I would quite like to make it a Kobold (I like the idea of this diminutive figure of a Kobold twisting and growing into a hulking beast with armour plating stronger than full-plate mail), but there are 2 problems with that...1)the base creature can only be 1 size smaller than the base vermin and 2)the Hybrid form is based off of the base creature, not the base vermin.
Class - Barbarian (Fits the 'raging were-creature' theme). Druid (with a Vermin Companion instead of an Animal Companion...going for the "Were-Bug: Lord of all Bugs theme"). Rogue/Scout/Ninja (Might seem a little odd, but merely for the skill points, which he's going to be lacking somewhat with his Vermin HD and Int penalty)

3) Rules? - One thing I wasn't sure about the Entomanthrope template is this; The Vermin HD grant feats as usual (1 per 3 levels)...in this case, the Giant Stag Beetle has 7 HD, granting 2 feats. Given that these are kind of racial feats, could he take a Prestige Class without actually having a Base Class (if he meets the prerequisites, obviously)? I don't think it's particularly relevant, as a lot of PrC's are based on a Base Class anyway and can't function without them (or function to a lesser degree), but I was just curious.

You missed one: level 1 you also have a feat. So level 7 means 3 feats (level 1 + 1/3 levels).

Any time you meet the Prerequisites of a Prc you can take one.
No, they aren't racial feats in essence: just feats from levels.

Like if a Commoner became level 7: would also have 2 feats besides the level 1 feat everyone gets.

Driderman
2007-04-30, 08:36 AM
If you can get a hold of the old PC game Entomorph: Plague of the Darkfall, it might afford you a few ideas concerning bugs...

JellyPooga
2007-04-30, 09:03 AM
I imagine what you want to do pretty much as the World of Warcraft's Qiraji/Sillithids.

Never played it, so I have no idea...might go have a look at the website for any info though...I'll get back to you on that one.

I'm just curious, is this a character you want to play yourself, a NPC for some adventure of yours or etc...?

Well, it's just me being a geek really...I like genning characters and writing up their backstories/personalities for fun. Some of the time, these characters turn into/are incorporated into short stories (none of which are ever any good, but it's something to do with my time), rarely they get played in a game.

If you have enough slashing attacks (I think bite/claws/pincers generally are slashing), a Dervish also makes for an impressive sight on the battlefield.

I'd never actually thought of that...hmmm, could be an option, though a Dervish using a Bite doesn't really seem right. Could someone clarify what type of damage a Bite does?....Come to think of it, in hybrid form, he'll only have a 20ft/round move (unless his class grants a movement bonus) so this option may not be all that good. Something more along the lines of a literal tank (as opposed to a 'tank' character) might be more appropriate - big, armoured monster rolling over enemies, style of thing.

You missed one: level 1 you also have a feat. So level 7 means 3 feats (level 1 + 1/3 levels).

That's kind of the source of my query...you see the Vermin HD granted by the template grant skills (as per the norm) and it specifies that you never gain the x4 skill points for first level from these HD. This says to me that the first HD cannot be a Vermin one, thus the bonus feat for 1st level would come with the characters 1st Class Level, whatever it may be (in this instance anyway). Which is really weird...hence the query.
With non-Classed creatures, applying the template is easy - their normal HD grant their x4 Skill Points and 1st level bonus feat, the extra HD granted by the template are just on top of that. However, when applied to a race that does not have any racial HD (like most Player Races), it becomes a little skew-wiff with where/when exactly the HD/Class levels come in the whole order of things...

------------------------

O.k. just for some more food for thought, I thought I'd point out some important features of the template (particular to Giant Stag Beetles):

Hybrid Form:
Stat mods: Str +12, Con +6 (added to base creatures abilities)...Note; no Dex modifications
Natural Attack: Bite (4d6 if Large)...Note; when used as primary attack, adds 1.5xStr mod.
Natural Armour: +10
Base Land Speed: 20ft
Special Attack: Trample (2d6 if Large)

KIDS
2007-04-30, 09:31 AM
I can't find the source right now but I am pretty certain that bite does slashing/piercing (player choice, like dagger) and claw does slashing damage. That was found out when I pondered concept of a Clawdancer (druid who uses Dervish Dance in tiger or panther form) so it did involve serious research.

As you said, 20 ft. move quite buries the concept (Dervish does grant +15 ft. of movement over its levels but it's not enough). Still, a quick trait (unearthed arcana I think, -1 HP/level but +10 ft. speed) or scout levels can help with that).

Quick info on those two, you might get some more ideas from them.
Qiraji (http://www.wowwiki.com/Qiraji)
Silithid (http://www.wowwiki.com/Silithid)

For the tank concept, the usual barbarian thingy in form of Power Attack/Improved Bull Rush/Shock Trooper/Leap Attack could set you right on track, even if it doesn't look so at first glacne. A massive bug lunges forward (possibly jumps) and lands on someone. Even if we're missing some kind of feat that would link it to Trample, it still results in a nice Squish, squish!

Well, it's just me being a geek really...I like genning characters and writing up their backstories/personalities for fun. Some of the time, these characters turn into/are incorporated into short stories (none of which are ever any good, but it's something to do with my time), rarely they get played in a game.

Keep up the good work! *thumbs up*

Tor the Fallen
2007-04-30, 09:34 AM
Teh interntubes is ur frendd!! http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#naturalWeapons

Celeste Seduiletal
2007-04-30, 09:48 AM
Hey, I'm seeing a lot of help on the rules side, but not much for character creation. Just off the top of my head I can think of some various options you could go with. What immediately springs to mind is Kafka's The Metamorphosis. I don't know if you've read it, but the main character Gregor turns into a giant beetle (or perceives that he has...it's a existential work). He adores his sister, but is a tool for his family and they abuse, eventually kill, and leave him without much consideration at all. Some research into his character could reveal some traits or history info that you might find interesting.
Also, I just did some quick research on the giant stag beetle. They are competitive - fighting other males for mating rights. They are solitary animals, and when threatened will puff themselves up and click their antlers. These traits, I think, could be adapted and used by the character in order to remain true to the creature he is becoming. Also, you might want to note that Giant Stag Beetles can fly. Just something fun to play with. I hope something here has helped and good luck!

JellyPooga
2007-04-30, 10:16 AM
Thinking about using the Trample, would it be totally unreasonable to allow this character a variation on the "Centaur Overrun" Feat (or whatever it's called) from RotW? Or is there another Feat that has a similar effect? With something like that, an Overrun-Power/Leap attack combo could prove quite effective and would possibly make up for any lack of iterative attacks due to low B.A.B.

Also with regards to Trample, it only works on creatures smaller than you, so the base creature is preferably going to have to be large (or have some way of increasing its size temporarily). Does anyone know of any v.low LA Large creatures that are playable races?

On the subject of wings Celeste, yeah real Stag Beetles have wings, but the stats don't list a Fly speed. Possibly 'cos of their size? Maybe I could Homebrew a Feat to grant him a fly speed or something (unless there is already something similar that could apply).

--------------

So far then...we're looking at a Large base creature and something in the way of Barbarian or Scout as a class...Both give a Speed Bonus. Barbarian is favouable for high HD and Rage. Scout is favourable for Skills and Skirmish (could Skirmish apply to his Trample damage?). Feats are going to be along the Power Attack line more than the Combat Expertise line, with options for Ability Focus and/or Improved Natural Attack. TWF is right out, especially if going Scout. That Bite of 4d6 is pretty gnarly, so some investment in Unarmed combat might be worthwhile for when he does get bogged down and can't use his more movement based abilities (though being Large and having such High Strength, this is unlikely...he can probably Bull Rush his way out of most situations...including stone cells). Trying for a few levels of Kensai might (and I repeat 'might') at a later level might be an option to buff that Bite attack (though he's probably better off getting a magic item that enhances it...something like those Draconic jobs that give an enhancement to a Dragons Bite attack)

Character wise, in light of the above, we're looking at someone quite brutish (which was pretty much a given from the start anyway, but just to clarify), possibly uneducated (Barbarian + Int penalty) but certainly not unskilled or imperceptive (Scout has good skills, Barbarian doesn't exactly have none + Wis bonus).

Appearance - aside from the size, he might well look something like General Rajaax (if you follow KIDS's link to the Qiraji). Big and Bug-like. More mandibles instead of that horn though. He has got wings, but they're cosmetic. If he's a Half-Ogre or similar Large race, then he probably lacks in the looks department in normal form...at best he'll be 'rugged looking' and he certainly won't be handsome. What with the Int penalty (which will probably be larger than -2 given that he's going to be Large), he is likely to be a little dim and certainly not subtle.

Following from that, he's quite likely going to be quite insular and uncommunicative, preferring to keep to himself. He may well be embarrassed about his size and 'condition' (he's turning out to be a stereotypical Half-Ogre who's been raised by humans so far...). Either that (if he's Good aligned) or (if he's Neutral or Evil) he will be bitter and angry about his lot in life (ugly, cursed, outcast) and willing to vent his rage on any potential target.

Either way, he's going to be very competitive, whether to prove his superiority or because he's often ridiculed/hated by society (thus as a means of protection, he trains a lot, kind of thing).

KIDS
2007-04-30, 10:53 AM
Also with regards to Trample, it only works on creatures smaller than you, so the base creature is preferably going to have to be large (or have some way of increasing its size temporarily). Does anyone know of any v.low LA Large creatures that are playable races?

I can't remember any other large creatures right now but I remember there was a really awesome race of medium insectoids in book.... Races of Mythology, Races of Legend, or something like it. They walked on four legs and fought with two, but with feats, they could raise on two and attack with all four. That would also be an impressive Dervish combo!

Matthew
2007-05-01, 07:36 AM
I can't find the source right now but I am pretty certain that bite does slashing/piercing (player choice, like dagger) and claw does slashing damage. That was found out when I pondered concept of a Clawdancer (druid who uses Dervish Dance in tiger or panther form) so it did involve serious research.
Nope, not quite

Natural Weapons
Natural weapons are weapons that are physically a part of a creature. A creature making a melee attack with a natural weapon is considered armed and does not provoke attacks of opportunity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/attacksOfOpportunity.htm). Likewise, it threatens any space it can reach. Creatures do not receive additional attacks from a high base attack bonus when using natural weapons. The number of attacks a creature can make with its natural weapons depends on the type of the attack—generally, a creature can make one bite attack, one attack per claw or tentacle, one gore attack, one sting attack, or one slam attack (although Large creatures with arms or arm-like limbs can make a slam attack with each arm). Refer to the individual monster descriptions.
Unless otherwise noted, a natural weapon threatens a critical hit (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#criticalHits) on a natural attack roll (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatStatistics.htm#attackRoll) of 20.
When a creature has more than one natural weapon, one of them (or sometimes a pair or set of them) is the primary weapon. All the creature’s remaining natural weapons are secondary.
The primary weapon is given in the creature’s Attack entry, and the primary weapon or weapons is given first in the creature’s Full Attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#fullAttack) entry. A creature’s primary natural weapon is its most effective natural attack, usually by virtue of the creature’s physiology, training, or innate talent with the weapon. An attack with a primary natural weapon uses the creature’s full attack bonus. Attacks with secondary natural weapons are less effective and are made with a -5 penalty on the attack roll (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatStatistics.htm#attackRoll), no matter how many there are. (Creatures with the Multiattack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#multiattack) feat take only a -2 penalty on secondary attacks.) This penalty applies even when the creature makes a single attack with the secondary weapon as part of the attack action or as an attack of opportunity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/attacksOfOpportunity.htm).
Natural weapons have types just as other weapons do. The most common are summarized below.

Bite
The creature attacks with its mouth, dealing piercing, slashing, and bludgeoning damage.

Claw or Talon
The creature rips with a sharp appendage, dealing piercing and slashing damage.

Gore
The creature spears the opponent with an antler, horn, or similar appendage, dealing piercing damage.

Slap or Slam
The creature batters opponents with an appendage, dealing bludgeoning damage.

Sting
The creature stabs with a stinger, dealing piercing damage. Sting attacks usually deal damage from poison (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#poison) in addition to hit point damage.

Tentacle
The creature flails at opponents with a powerful tentacle, dealing bludgeoning (and sometimes slashing) damage.

JellyPooga
2007-05-01, 07:46 AM
Can anyone direct me to the releveant rulings on using Natural attacks in conjunction with normal attacks. I've had a quick look around, but can't find it. I vaguely remember something about being able to use a Primary Natural Attack as a secondary attack (i.e. at -5) in addition to any normal attacks you make as a full round attack action (e.g. a character with a natural Bite attack, 2 rapiers and B.A.B of +5 could make 2 rapier attacks (one on-hand, one-off hand) at +1 to hit and a Bite attack (adding half Str bonus to damage) at +0).

What about if you want to use the Natural Attack as the Primary and normal attacks as secondary, how does that work?

SpiderBrigade
2007-05-01, 07:54 AM
Looks like the panther-form Claw Dervish still works though :smallbiggrin:

JellyPooga
2007-05-01, 10:00 AM
I've statted my BIG Bug now and am starting to form his personality/background, so I just thought I'd share him with everyone, just so all who've helped know what it is that they helped create.

Note: Where something is listed twice (like his Str score), the first number is when he's in his normal (Half-Ogre) form and the second is when he's in his Hybrid or Vermin form, except where noted.

Name: None (Will respond to any 'description' of him - e.g. "Bug", "Ogre", etc.)
Race: Half-Ogre Entomanthrope (Were-Giant Stag Beetle)
Class: Scout
Level: 2 (+7 Vermin HD +4 LA = ECL: 13)
Size: Large (all forms)
Alignment: Chaotic Good

STR: 25/37 (+7/+13)
DEX: 14 (+2)
CON: 16/22 (+3/+6)
INT: 12 (+1)
WIS: 14 (+2)
CHA: 6 (-2)

B.A.B: +6
Fort: +9/+12 (+5 Base +3/+6 Con +1 Misc.)
Ref: +7 (+5 Base +2 Dex)
Will: +4 (+2 Base +2 Wis)

AC: 18/24 (10 +2 Dex +6 Natural)/(10 +2 Dex +12 Natural)
Initiative: +3
HP: 110

Special Abilities and Feats:
All Forms:
Alternate Form Uncanny Dodge
Entomanthropic Immunities Battle Fortitude (+1)
Entomanthropic Command Power Attack
Darkvision 60ft Improved Bull rush
Skirmish (+1d6) Leap Attack
Trapfinding Awesome Blow

Natural Form:
+6 Natural Armour

Hybrid/Vermin Form:
+12 Natural Armour
Natural Attack: Bite (4d6+19)
Special Attack: Trample (2d8+6, Reflex DC: 26 for half)
DR:5/Silver
Curse of Entomanthropy

Skills: (These entries are listed as follows [Skill - Ranks - Bonus])
Balance - 8 - +12 Move Silently - 5 - +2
Climb - 2 - +9/+15 Search - 2 - +1
Hide - 5 - +3 Spot - 5 - +7
Jump - 5 - +14/+20 Survival - 5 - +7
Listen - 5 - +7 Tumble - 8 - +12

Encumbrance: (There's three entries for each catagory; Normal/Hybrid/Vermin. All figures are listed in lbs.)
Light Load: 532/2768/4152 Over Head: 1600/8320/12480
Medium Load: 1066/5544/8316 Off Ground: 3200/16640/24960
Heavy Load: 1600/8320/12480 Push/Drag: 8000/41600/62400

Languages: Common and Giant

Appearance:
Normal Form: Standing at around 10ft tall, with what can only be described as an impressive physique, this hulking figure is more often mistaken for a full ogre (if a short one) than a human, though he shares the blood of both. He is a far cry from attractive, his skin dark and rough, his hair long and matted and a pair of large tusks that jut from his lower jaw. He dresses in what clothing he can find, more often than not in rags and animal skins, crudely sewn together, having no money to buy tailored clothes and being to big for common clothing. The only equipment he carries with him is a large club, little more than the limb of a tree ripped from the trunk, so big that it would take two ordinary men to lift it.

Vermin Form: At 12ft long, this huge beetle is much bigger than most of its kind, with thick legs and powerful jaws. It's shell glistens black in the sun, with large ridges running the length of its body. Though it possess wings, the sheer mass of this creature is too much for the membranous constructs to lift it off the ground. The fearsome looking jaws of this creature, 4ft long and visciously spiked, could easily tear a large man in two.

Hybrid Form: Upon adopting his Hybrid Form, he grows by fully 2ft to an impressive height of 12ft, his physique expanding further than the height increase would dictate, making him appear more squat than his normal form. His thick brown hide darkens almost to black and forms into a series of chitinous plates, forming an inpenatrable carapace harder than steel plate. His face changes drastically, becoming more insectile with glistening black eyes and an alien mouth. The tusks that give him his fearsome appearance in his normal form elongate and thicken into the same powerful jaws possessed by his vermin form. When in this form, he possess tremendous strength and is capable of uprooting trees with one hand, knocking foes flying with wide sweeps of his club and crushing his enemies underfoot.

Personality:
This particular being has no place in the world. He cannot remember his name, if indeed he ever had one and does not know where he came from. The only thing he knows is that his monstrous appearance drives others to hate him, even when they know nothing of his curse. As such, he lives in the wild, eating what he can find or catch, avoiding any contact with the 'civilised' world. Though his past was troubled and dominated by rage, blood and combat, this gentle creature bears no hatred for the world, nor for those who force him to live the life that he does through their mistrust and superstition.
Like many large people, he is overly conscious of his strength and can be timid in social situations, frightened of hurting those smaller than himself. As such, his conversation, if ever he were to have one, is stilted and awkward, so he prefers to keep his mouth shut most of the time, saying only what needs to be said. Some might think him stupid because of this or his appearance, but he is far from, possessing a sharp mind capable of careful thought and reasoning.
Anyone who thought that he was an easy target due to his kind disposition would be gravely mistaken. Even in his normal form (which he prefers to maintain if at all possible, rather than adopt either of his alternate forms) he is an impressive combatant, lighter on his feet than most would expect, using his titanic strength to the best advantage. Though he prefers to avoid physical combat, he is not averse to letting slip his anger and killing if neccesary. If absolutely neccesary, he will adopt his hybrid form, though he dislikes doing so for the mistrust it breeds in onlookers and the greater potential for harm that it presents.
As a direct result of his past, this gentle giant abhorrs tyranny and as such, has scant regard for governments that impose harsh laws or a strict regime. He will even go out of his way, if the occasion presents itself, to free those in servitude if possible, or simply ease the burden of those same people in some way, if not. Unfortunately, his efforts go unrewarded more often than not, but he simply moves on, happy that he has helped someone that was in a similar position to the one that he once was.

Background: (I'll post this a bit later...got some stuff to do at the mo)

brian c
2007-05-01, 01:54 PM
Hm... seems really cool, but 12 Intelligence should be able to remember his own name. Also, I think 10ft is extremely tall for a half-ogre; I don't have a book with me right now to look up half-ogre stats but the SRD says that full ogres are only 9-10 feet tall. A Half-ogre should be 8-9 feet, still enough to be large.

Ninja Chocobo
2007-05-01, 04:10 PM
Hay, if you still want a Tank-sort of thing, there's a Maug graft in the FF that puts you on stone rollers instead of legs, and gives you Trample damage.

JellyPooga
2007-05-01, 06:55 PM
Hm... seems really cool, but 12 Intelligence should be able to remember his own name. Also, I think 10ft is extremely tall for a half-ogre; I don't have a book with me right now to look up half-ogre stats but the SRD says that full ogres are only 9-10 feet tall. A Half-ogre should be 8-9 feet, still enough to be large.

I could have sworn that full Ogres were 10-12ft tall. I wanted him to be around the same size as a full Ogre (as some Half-Ogres are) because I rolled an 18 for his Strength...that being a more than moderately good score. O.k. then, if that's the case, make his normal form 9ft tall and his hybrid form 11ft tall.

Though his intelligence is 12, he still can't remember his name. He has a moderatly sharp and analytical mind (i.e. he's far from dim), but his early life (as will be revealed in his background) was a life of pit-fighting. His first memory is of fighting against a creature for the entertainment of others as a slave (hence his hatred of tyranny). He was never given a name by his owners. He has never really seen the point of giving himself a name because he is himself and lives alone, so why give himself a name?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Background:
His first memory is one of blood. He doesn't clearly remember the details of the combat, but he certainly remembers the salt taste of dark blood. He doesn't ever remember a mother or father, nor has he ever had a name that he can remember, but he does remember fighting in a pit against a scorpion about the same size as himself. He could not have been more than 3ft tall at the time, young for one of his blood. He remembers the pain of the poison injected into his body by the creatures lethal sting and the agony of the same poison flowing through his blood after the fight. He remembers ripping the offending tail from his opponents body in an uncontrolable rage. That is his first memory.
Since that brutal event, for many years, his only memories are that of a small cell, barely large enough to contain him and the arena where he fought a multitude of foes. When he wasn't fighting, he was cramped up in the tiny stone cell. When he was fighting he remembers having no choice; he either killed or died. He never died. He fought, the crowd cheered. If he fought particularly well, he was rewarded with rich foods or with women to pleasure him. His life was simple, though he hated every minute of it.
He knew nothing but the arena and his masters. One night, as he lay trying to sleep, an unfamiliar person came into his cell and complicated his life. Not knowing what was going on, he stood to attack the intruder, thinking it was some kind of test. Before he could gain his feet, the stranger held a hand up in a gesture of submission, before changing before the half-ogres eyes. From the relatively tiny figure that had entered the room, the stranger grew by several feet into a chitinous monster, more insect than man with a huge set of pincers where his jaw would be.
Stunned by the transformation, the half-ogre could only stand in shock as the stranger bit him with the viscious looking jaws, opening a jagged wound in his hide. as the half-ogre stood in silence, barely aware of the would he had sustained, the stanger morphed back into the shape he bore when he entered and said three simple words: "Leave this place", before leaving the cell.
The half-ogre suddenly became aware of the bleeding wound he had sustained and fell to the floor. Shoving his fist into the gash to stem the bleeding, he pondered the strangers words until sleep took him. The next morning, as usual, the cell-keeper came to bring him his breakfast. With the sound of the door opening, the half-ogre came awake with the thought of the strangers word still ringing in his mind. Acting more on impulse than on any conscious thought, he leapt fot the cell-keeper, dreams of freedom running though his mind that had never occured to him before.
His very next memory is of crouching over his captor, his mandibles dripping with blood, his chitinous hide unfeeling and hard against his inner flesh. The cell-keeper was underneath his crouched form, cloven in twain at the waist. With the cell door wide open, the creature he had become took the opportunity to heed the strangers words and moved out into the corridor. The next few hours are a blur in his memory, but he is sure that he must have killed many to escape, for his next memory is that of being lost in a forest, with no sound of pursuit behind him and no idea of where he was. With little else to do, he ran, ran until he collapsed from exhaustion.
When he awoke, he had regained his normal, natural form. Releived that the nightmare was over, he set about making a new life for himself. Unfortunately, he had no idea on how to do so, having lived his entire life as a slave. For a year, he wandered the wilderness, looking for some kind of guidance, but to no avail. As far as he can tell, almost to the day, a year later, he came across a village. The second one of the villagers sighted him, he knew that he could not live a life like normal people, because the homely looking woman that saw him screamed in fear at the sight of him. Before long, the entire village was chasing him out of the settlement branding flaming torches and pitchforks at his monstrous form.
Since that day, this cursed but gentle creature has wandered the wilds, living off of the land, helping those he can, learning to use the abilities available to him, holding no rancour for those that fear and loathe his abormalities, only hoping that he can stop others from suffering the same servitude that he endured as a child. On occasion, a kind soul has looked past the hideous appearance and seen the gentle nature within, giving him a brief respite from the endless strife that is his life. Unfortunately these occurences are rare and before long something goes wrong and he is forced to leave the sanctuary of whatever haven he was in.