PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Idea: Simpleish adjustment to the alchemist

dascarletm
2015-07-08, 01:48 PM
I was considering playing an alchemist in an upcoming game, but I found myself disappointed with the extracts an alchemist can make. They don't seem to live up to my idea of "mad science." They mostly seem like you are just making casting "totally not just spells." So I wanted to see if you all could give me some feedback on my idea for a fix of sort. All comments are welcome.

I don't have anything laid out yet but the basic premise is this:
Remove the extracts from the picture completely. (Considering leaving the bomb and mutagen feature)
Replace that with Inspiration Points (which are like power points). Gain something akin to a Psychic warrior amount of points
Formulae are drawn from the psion list (which I would go through and remove anything that doesn't fit the feel)
You prepare your potions at the beginning of the day, and potions follow rules similar to psionics. First you may not spend more points on a potion greater than your alchemist level, but you may combine multiple formulae into one bottle. It costs full value for each.
Second, potions are either created as a thrown flask, or a drinkable flask. The range of the effects are to the consumer if it is drinkable. If it is thrown the defect goes off on the creature hit or the square in which it lands.

That's the basics of my idea, what do you all think. Pardon my grammar and brevity, I'm doing this on my phone

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-08, 01:55 PM
Hm. So the main change (alchemy -> psionic alchemy) is alright. They get more versatility with each formula but they still have to prepare them ahead of time so that isn't too big. This part of the changes is an even trade.

The "combining multiple formulae in one bottle" is an upgraded version of an existing Alchemist discovery (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist/discoveries/paizo---alchemist-discoveries/combine-extracts), and I don't see why you're giving it to them for free.

Also, letting thrown flasks affect targets they hit is... pretty big, actually. It's a major buff to the Alchemist.

The change would be good if you left in Mutagen and Bombs, and removed the ability to combine multiple formulae without a Discovery and didn't let thrown flasks affect their targets.

dascarletm
2015-07-08, 02:09 PM
That's good feedback, if probably have the combination of effects be a discovery. As far as the thrown flasks do you think only allowing powers that have a range of >touch/personal only brewed as the thrown version would be a good enough fix on that?

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-08, 02:11 PM
That's good feedback, if probably have the combination of effects be a discovery. As far as the thrown flasks do you think only allowing powers that have a range of >touch/personal only brewed as the thrown version would be a good enough fix on that?

The point of the alchemist is that they don't have any spells that aren't touch-range or personal to begin with.

A better fix would be to allow an Alchemist to drink an extract of a harmful power and then deliver that power's effect as a touch attack rather than suffering it themselves.

Corlindale
2015-07-08, 02:44 PM
It could be a fun twist if the Alch was hit by the harmful power himself if he didn't manage to deliver the touch attack in time. Drinking what is essentially poison should be a risky move!

dascarletm
2015-07-08, 02:44 PM
The point of the alchemist is that they don't have any spells that aren't touch-range or personal to begin with.

A better fix would be to allow an Alchemist to drink an extract of a harmful power and then deliver that power's effect as a touch attack rather than suffering it themselves.

Thanks again for the feedback, I really enjoy having someone to bounce Ideas off of.

Suppose instead we nix'd the bomb feature, and instead implemented something like the thrown flasks. It could use the same pool or a different one. Same overall role (a ranged way to do damage), and added versatility without having to spend precious discovery slots on letting bombs do acid/cold damage.

It would up the power a little, but do you think it would be unbalancing?

(the AoE would be equal to the base power it is emulating. Single target effects would not be applied to the splash)