PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Battle herald

Shadowscale
2015-07-08, 02:04 PM
By RAW is it possible for a skald to qualify for Battle Herald?

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-08, 02:16 PM
They don't have Challenge or Inspire Courage, so no. I don't see why you needed to ask us this.

Shadowscale
2015-07-08, 02:34 PM
They don't have Challenge or Inspire Courage, so no. I don't see why you needed to ask us this.

I simply wanted to see if it was possible as if I remember Skalds can't even multiclass into bard. i'll stop asking questions though, thanks.

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-08, 02:37 PM
I simply wanted to see if it was possible as if I remember Skalds can't even multiclass into bard.

There are several archetypes for non-Bard classes that grant Inspire Courage; you could dip one of those if you really wanted to, but Skald/Cavalier/[something else]/Battle Herald is a pretty messy build.

i'll stop asking questions though, thanks.

"I don't see why you needed to ask us this" was meant to be inquisitive, not hostile. My apologies if you interpreted it differently.

Shadowscale
2015-07-08, 02:42 PM
There are several archetypes for non-Bard classes that grant Inspire Courage; you could dip one of those if you really wanted to, but Skald/Cavalier/[something else]/Battle Herald is a pretty messy build.

"I don't see why you needed to ask us this" was meant to be inquisitive, not hostile. My apologies if you interpreted it differently.

Sorry, I wanted to ask since I saw battle herald was essentially an uber support PRC, since I already had my first level of skald established I was seeing if it was possible to qualify in a non-messy way.

I apologize as well for unnecessary drama, I was asking as i actually wanted to try to qualify for it and take it.

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-08, 02:49 PM
Sorry, I wanted to ask since I saw battle herald was essentially an uber support PRC, since I already had my first level of skald established I was seeing if it was possible to qualify in a non-messy way.

Retrain to bard? The Savage Skald (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/archetypes/paizo---bard-archetypes/savage-skald) archetype is the same fluff as the full Skald, and doesn't give up Inspire Courage.

Shadowscale
2015-07-08, 02:54 PM
Retrain to bard? The Savage Skald (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/bard/archetypes/paizo---bard-archetypes/savage-skald) archetype is the same fluff as the full Skald, and doesn't give up Inspire Courage.

I was wondering if retraining was possible in PF, i'll ask my DM, thanks for all the help.

Lastly just due to searching yielding no results, is their an archtype of cavalier that trades away the mount for decent abilities in the same vein the samurai has sword saint?

Psyren
2015-07-08, 02:59 PM
I was wondering if retraining was possible in PF, i'll ask my DM, thanks for all the help.

"In PF," yes it is. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/basics-ability-scores/more-character-options/retraining)

"At your table," is up to your GM.

Lastly just due to searching yielding no results, is their an archtype of cavalier that trades away the mount for decent abilities in the same vein the samurai has sword saint?

Daring Champion (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/cavalier/archetypes/paizo---cavalier-archetypes/daring-champion) turns it into a Swashbuckler-lite, while Musketeer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/cavalier/archetypes/paizo---cavalier-archetypes/musketeer) turns it into a (shot)Gunslinger-lite. Neither is really worth giving up the companion imo.

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-08, 03:02 PM

The one that stands out is the Inspiring Commander, which I hadn't known about before or else I'd have mentioned it. The reason it's good here is that it replaces the mount with bardic performance - including Inspire Courage. This allows for single-classed Battle Herald entry after level 4 (although I'd wait until level 5 to get Inspire Courage +2 from Inspiring Commander). Ask your DM if you can switch the Battle Herald stuff to key off Intelligence like the Inspiring Commander's does.

Granted, none of that synergizes with Bard or Skald, but single-classed Inspiring Commander Cavalier into Battle Herald is better than dipping Bard anyways.

Psyren
2015-07-08, 03:04 PM
The one that stands out is the Inspiring Commander, which I hadn't known about before or else I'd have mentioned it. The reason it's good here is that it replaces the mount with bardic performance - including Inspire Courage. This allows for single-classed Battle Herald entry after level 4 (although I'd wait until level 5 to get Inspire Courage +2 from Inspiring Commander). Ask your DM if you can switch the Battle Herald stuff to key off Intelligence like the Inspiring Commander's does.

It's also 3rd-party, so be sure to check if your GM is cool with that.

Vhaidara
2015-07-08, 03:30 PM
Also, IIRC, you can multiclass with your components from a hybrid.

Molosse
2015-07-08, 05:32 PM

If this question is based around the issue of a Battle Herald not rocking a scaling mount there's a few options:

I) The Daring Champion Archetype trades away the mount for some swashbuckler esque abilities.
II) The Standard Bearer Archetype trades away the mount until the 5th level in exchange for an earlier Banner so it's perfect for a move into Battle Herald.
III) The Horse Master feat will allow for a Mount who's level is based off of your Characters total level, as opposed to only your Cavalier level. This required Cav 4 to get the Expert Trainer Class Ability and 6 ranks in Ride, but it's your best bet to keeping a fully vetted Mount throughout.

Shadowscale
2015-07-12, 07:12 AM
I'm thinking Would Standard Bearer Strategist Cavalier 4/ Savage Skald Bard 1 After my 10 levels of Battle Herald though, what other class should i start to take levels in, I was wondering if anyone had any feat suggestions/ability score assignment suggestions as well? As this is a rise of the runelords campaign and can go to higher levels.

Thank you so much, I just really want to be a heavy armored support powerhouse.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-07-12, 08:58 AM
It may not be RAW, but you could ask your DM if you could substitute Raging Song for Inspire Courage. They're analogous class features, after all. I don't know about your table, but I'd certainly allow it.

Molosse
2015-07-12, 03:01 PM
I'm thinking Would Standard Bearer Strategist Cavalier 4/ Savage Skald Bard 1 After my 10 levels of Battle Herald though, what other class should i start to take levels in, I was wondering if anyone had any feat suggestions/ability score assignment suggestions as well? As this is a rise of the runelords campaign and can go to higher levels.

Thank you so much, I just really want to be a heavy armored support powerhouse.

With a 4/1 Cav-Bard split you'll want to head back into Cavalier to finish up mate, so S.Bearer Strat Cav 1-4/S.Skald Bard 5/Battle Herald 6-15/S.Bearer Strat Cav 16-20.

As for a good build? Push to 15 Cha to grab the Flagbearer feat, shove it into a Longspear and grab the Banner of Ancient Kings, not only will it grant you a better Initiative it'll also have you count as four levels higher in regards to your Bardic Perfomance while finally doubling the bonus granted with the Flagbearer feat.

Since you're rocking a Longspear then the normal 2-hander feats become the choice to make e.g. Power Attack.