PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Filling up those slots

martixy
2015-07-08, 09:24 PM
I have recently come into a large inheritance(when a bunch of high-level mooks bit the dust and their assets were liquidated).

I'm looking for items to fill out/refresh a few remaining slots on my character.

He's a mid-level psion/dex-based martial.
Mostly focused on utility.

Already have all the +stat from other places.

Specifically need something to fill
1. Body(where armor normally goes) - no, not gonna be armor.
2. Hands
3. 1 ring
4. Face
5. Feet, still haven't replaced the anklets of translocation, even though I now have dimension door. NOT with the boots of Temporal Acceleration though.

frost890
2015-07-08, 10:24 PM
To figure out your equipment we might need some more information. What kind of campaign are you in? Are you fighting mindflyers or undead? abominations or humanoids?

1. Body(where armor normally goes) - A Suit? Something fancy to make them think you are important when you need to deal with people, or something to give you wings and flight
2. Hands- gloves of storing are always handy(pun intended)
3. 1 ring- spell storing? mage armor?
4. Face- A mask to prevent inhaled poisons? glasses of daylight(I think that is what they are called. it lets you see everything like it is outside on a sunny day.) goggles of true seeing.
5. Feet- spiderclimb is always useful. displacement? Jumping? Hast?
Also don't forget you can get a bunch of equipment that will not take up a body slot. wondrous animal?

Sagetim
2015-07-08, 10:41 PM
Dyyr's Impervious Vestment is the best 200,000 gold you'll ever spend with it's +9 armor to ac without being armor.

Alternatively, if you have light armor proficiency (at all), then you could get skin of ectoplasmic armor for +8 to ac, I think a -6 armor check penalty, a 1 pound weight, and jokes about it being ghostly seminal fluid (though expressed more crassly) if your party members are jerkish.

What you already have is fairly important to know though. A Third Eye of Clairvoyance for example is super useful for seeing the other sides of doors without having to open them. That's admittedly more useful if you have phase shot and are a soulbow, but I'm sure as a psion you can find a way to make that useful.

Boots of Springing and Striding are pretty useful, if relatively cheap. Boots of Levitation are better. Boots of teleportation are probably best though. Boots of Levitation and a ring of invisibility means never having to make sneak or hide checks in an open area against targets unless they can somehow see past the invisibility. That, combined with stuffing the fighter into your bag of holding, can result in a surprise round combat drop.

martixy
2015-07-09, 01:23 AM
Dyyr's Impervious Vestment is the best 200,000 gold you'll ever spend with it's +9 armor to ac without being armor.

Alternatively, if you have light armor proficiency (at all), then you could get skin of ectoplasmic armor for +8 to ac, I think a -6 armor check penalty, a 1 pound weight, and jokes about it being ghostly seminal fluid (though expressed more crassly) if your party members are jerkish.

What you already have is fairly important to know though. A Third Eye of Clairvoyance for example is super useful for seeing the other sides of doors without having to open them. That's admittedly more useful if you have phase shot and are a soulbow, but I'm sure as a psion you can find a way to make that useful.

Boots of Springing and Striding are pretty useful, if relatively cheap. Boots of Levitation are better. Boots of teleportation are probably best though. Boots of Levitation and a ring of invisibility means never having to make sneak or hide checks in an open area against targets unless they can somehow see past the invisibility. That, combined with stuffing the fighter into your bag of holding, can result in a surprise round combat drop.

B..b..b...but what do I do with my +8 Inertial armor then? Which gets to be +9 next level. :smalleek:

And the Vestment is a torso slot and I already have something important there. Saving a dozen PPs is not worth that price.

Now... the "third eye" thing - you're thinking "Third Eye Sense" - which is perfect when combined with the "Retrieve" power.
That one is at will, but more limited in scope. Now, "Third Eye of View" replicates the classic trick of Remote Viewing + Retrieve, but is only once per day. It will also take a couple levels to get Retrieve.

Teleportation, now there's a thought. I do have plane shift, but no arcane caster in party and 8th level powers are in the distant future.

NevinPL
2015-07-09, 07:45 AM
1. Body

Bolt shirt,
Robe of the Archmagi*,
Shiftweave,
Shirt of the leech,
Shroud of scales.

2. Hands

Casting glove,
Gloves of endless javelins,
Glove of Storage (mentioned earlier),
Glove of the master strategist (if your DM allows it),
Reach gauntlets.

3. Ring

Bone ring,
Brute ring,
Ring of Communication,
Ring of Protection X
Ring of Three Wishes,
Ring of Vengeance.

4. Face

Blindfold of true darkness,
Monocle of perusal,
Ocullus (DR 350),
Mask of lies,
Mask of the skull.

5. Feet

Boots of speed,
Boots of teleportation,
Sandals of the light step.

Darrin
2015-07-09, 10:26 AM
1. Body(where armor normally goes) - no, not gonna be armor.

Kimono of Storing (Oriental Adventures) if you can get it at 4400 GP. Even at 20K, still pretty darned useful.

2. Hands

Novice Shadow Hands (3000 GP, Tome of Battle) for Cloak of Deception or Shadow Jaunt.

3. 1 ring

Stormfire Ring (4000 GP, MIC).
Ring of Might (4000 GP, Magic of Faerun).
Fanged Ring (10000 GP, Dragon Magic).

4. Face

Third Eyes are good, particularly multiples. Unlike the Chronocharms, there's no attunement period, so you can swap them out as you need them.

5. Feet, still haven't replaced the anklets of translocation, even though I now have dimension door. NOT with the boots of Temporal Acceleration though.

Boots of Tracklessness (11000 GP, MIC).

martixy
2015-07-09, 11:20 AM
I find it amusing how eeeeeeveryone always confuses the Body and Torso slots.

NevinPL, 3 out of your 5 suggestions were torso for example.

Anyway, I decided on
Boots=Teleportation
Gloves=Reach gauntlets
Ring=Freedom of Movement (oops...)
Face=Third Eye sense

Body, as it turns out, is HARD to fill with a non-armor item.

Hiro Quester
2015-07-09, 11:37 AM
I know you are dex based, so don't want a max dex bonus from armor. But consider just +1 Nightscale armor (+10 Max dex) or gnome twist cloth (no max dex, as I recall). the point isn't the armor itself or the armor bonus, but the armor enhancements you can add.

My previous bard was high dex, and used bracers of armor for the armor bonus. But used nigh scale armor for adding such abilities. e.g. greater fortification for immunity to critical hits, and so on.

martixy
2015-07-09, 11:59 AM
Ooohhh... I love that idea.

Also has the benefit of turning the character into Black Widow. :smallbiggrin:

Hiro Quester
2015-07-09, 12:20 PM
Ooohhh... I love that idea.

Also has the benefit of turning the character into Black Widow. :smallbiggrin:

Yeah, being all covered in scaly black certainly adds to the cool factor.

Here's a good guide to the most useful armor enhancements (http://community.wizards.com/forum/previous-editions-character-optimization/threads/1064841). Rated by level cost.

Don't forget armor crystals, too. And other fixed-cost armor enhancements.

NevinPL
2015-07-09, 01:01 PM
I find it amusing how eeeeeeveryone always confuses the Body and Torso slots.

NevinPL, 3 out of your 5 suggestions were torso for example.
Not confusing. My personal list of interesting items, from which I took them, is a mess - no info of source, body slots, double entries, etc.
Sorry.

Body, as it turns out, is HARD to fill with a non-armor item.
Take one level in arcane spellcaster and use Robe of the Archmagi.
Or make Robe of Archpsion.

My previous bard was high dex, and used bracers of armor for the armor bonus. But used nigh scale armor for adding such abilities. e.g. greater fortification for immunity to critical hits, and so on.
You can add armor special abilities to Bracers of armor since Arms and Equipment Guide.

marphod
2015-07-09, 02:27 PM
Psychoactive Skins don't take up the Body slot, either. FWIW.

---

Some lists, like crystal keep's list of magic items conflate Body and Torso slots.

---

There aren't a lot of Body-Slot items, much less good ones. For instance, The MIC lists less than 20, and about half of those are from the DMG.

Robe of the Archmagi isn't terrible, but the armor bonus doesn't stack, the resistance bonus doesn't stack with other resistance bonuses, and the SR is underpowered bu the time you can afford it. Which leaves it as a +2 enhancement to overcome Spell Resistance (and Power Resistance, if using transparency).

Robe of Eyes is nice for the vision effects, but the 'cannot avert eyes from gaze' and 'save or be blinded by a 1st level spell' is problematic.

Robe of stars: +1 luck bonus to saves and at-will travel to the Astral plane. Not bad, but niche use.

Robe of Blending seems overpriced for what it does (+10 to hide, disguise self at will)

Shroud of Scales gives DR 5/magic. If you are regularly fighting things without magical attacks.

A robe of useful items saves you some space in your haversack.

Burnoose of Moonless Nights (Total Concealment for 10 rnds 3x day, Sandstorm) (or is that Torso?)

You're probably better off finding a +1 armor item with as high a Dex limit as possible, and adding a armor crystal and other armor enhancements to it, than finding a good robe. Or make a custom item, if allowed.

Hiro Quester
2015-07-09, 02:34 PM
You can add armor special abilities to Bracers of armor since Arms and Equipment Guide.

Possibly, but that's 3.0, and some DMs don't admit that as a legit source. Many many rules and such were changed in 3.5.

Also, if the bracers are already +5 bracers of armor, that's +0 bracers with a +5 enhancement bonus to them. So a +1 ability costs the difference between +5 and +6 armor enchantment (11 000 gp instead of 1000). And a +5 ability like greater fortification costs 75 000 on +5 bracers, instead of 25 000 on nightscale armor.

It's way cheaper to just pay 1000 for masterwork nightscale armor, ignore its +2 Armor bonus (doesn't stack with bracers) but use that as the platform for adding armor special abilities.

marphod
2015-07-10, 01:38 AM
Possibly, but that's 3.0, and some DMs don't admit that as a legit source. Many many rules and such were changed in 3.5.

I was surprised that that rule didn't show up in the Magic Item Compendium, but it didn't.

Also, if the bracers are already +5 bracers of armor, that's +0 bracers with a +5 enhancement bonus to them. So a +1 ability costs the difference between +5 and +6 armor enchantment (11 000 gp instead of 1000). And a +5 ability like greater fortification costs 75 000 on +5 bracers, instead of 25 000 on nightscale armor.

That's actually somewhat debatable. Bracers of Armor grant a Armor bonus; it isn't an Enhancement Bonus to AC or Armor, but a straight up Armor Bonus.

It wouldn't be hard to argue that Bracers of Armor would need to have a +1 Enhancement Bonus added, and then the enchantments on top of that but that they'd be independent costs from improving the armor bonus.. It'd be potentially subject to a wrong body slot surcharge, but that's a DM call.

NevinPL
2015-07-10, 04:43 AM
I'm: "If it isn't "uprrated" (isn't it ?), it's allowed" kind of DM. But your DM has the last word, so he can rule whatever he wants, even that an official WotC book, is not a legit source.

P.S.
Strict sticking to rules, tends to suck out the fun.