PDA

View Full Version : Warlock with a concience: an exercise in masochism

RandomSpectator
2015-07-09, 12:43 AM
Hi all,

I'm playing in a 3.5 Realms game, but using 25 point buy Pathfinder rules for stats. Given that I've played or read up on nearly every class or build in 3rd ed my DM wanted me to play something that I didn't already have prepared and that I would not normally consider. I'd thought about a cleric's son who just wanted to be a fighter but through a rough compromise was a reluctant paladin, but eventually settled on a silly if fun idea: playing a LG warlock who can't help his ancestral infernal pack but just wants to help people. Is that so wrong?! (DM is throwing out alignment requirements because no one cares). I expect hilarity to ensue. The game is set in a made up small town called Trinistead near the metropolis of Calaunt in the Vast. Player characters grew up together, but have been apart for a few years before meeting up again to become adventurers.

This is in a moderately unoptimized party of an archer ranger, an overly defense focused bard and a "mysterious cat person" (will probably figure out what he's playing in the course of play, but the player hates metagaming to the point that he won't tell anyone but the DM what he's playing out of character). Encounters will generally be appropriate to the party's capabilities, but I'm more interested in RP advice and ideas for backstory than mechanics, given handbook and such. Planning a GlaiveLock build with moderate BC emphasis to balance out the party build-wise with plenty of UMD fun, though the bard should have the talking part covered. Hopefully. >.>

What are some ideas for why my (human) warlock just wants to help people and not be hated? How can I approach this RP concept without annoying the hell out of the other players? Any interesting quirks or mannerisms that you think might be fun or amusing to try?

Oh, and starting at level 5 with 3 items valued at 2,500 gold or less and up to 500 worth of other gear. Can sacrifice one item to gain a +1LA race (this game levels by DM say so, no XP), or sack an item to add half its value to another, so could get up to one 5,000 GP item plus the general gear, but not planning to. Or split one into two or more cheaper items totaling 2,000. I'm planning on a templated Mithral Chain Shirt, a Handy Haversack or Ring of Sustenance and an Amulet of Tears, plus a couple Blessed Bandages and some alchemical and mundane gear.

Karl Aegis
2015-07-09, 12:51 AM
Palette swap your invocations and eldritch blasts until they're shining and glistening instead of their normal color. All set.

MorgromTheOrc
2015-07-09, 12:54 AM
I'm not sure what exactly you were looking for, but I would play it as the shy, nice, polite, kind of guy who(thanks to the pact) occasionally has trouble holding in his anger and/or is very creepy and insane on random occasions. Imagine it like Nergal Jr. from the grim adventures of Billy and Mandy, or if you haven't watched that then like the spawn of something evil and terrible that acts normal most the time and just wants to be nice and make friends, but his dark heritage occasionally gets the better of him and his otherworldlyness shows.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2015-07-09, 01:25 AM
Play an Unseelie Fey Human with your +1 LA. Take Winter's Chill for -Cha to saves aura. Everyone is uncomfortable around you, and you just want to be friends! YOU JUST WANT TO BE FRIENDS! Fight with the Bard over who gets to make Diplomacy checks. Make Diplomacy checks whenever you can, and even when you can't. Try your hardest not to take any benefit from any of them; you want to be getting people to Fanatic and then buying them a drink and being happy that you have a friend <3.

NevinPL
2015-07-09, 07:03 AM
Tormented hero with dark past:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0162065/

Telonius
2015-07-09, 07:59 AM
I'd head over to LFG (http://www.lfg.co/) to get some inspiration. I'm imagining it as something like Richard, as portrayed by Cale.

Th3N3xtGuy
2015-07-09, 08:43 AM
Hi all,

I'm playing in a 3.5 Realms game, but using 25 point buy Pathfinder rules for stats. Given that I've played or read up on nearly every class or build in 3rd ed my DM wanted me to play something that I didn't already have prepared and that I would not normally consider. I'd thought about a cleric's son who just wanted to be a fighter but through a rough compromise was a reluctant paladin, but eventually settled on a silly if fun idea: playing a LG warlock who can't help his ancestral infernal pack but just wants to help people. Is that so wrong?! (DM is throwing out alignment requirements because no one cares). I expect hilarity to ensue. The game is set in a made up small town called Trinistead near the metropolis of Calaunt in the Vast. Player characters grew up together, but have been apart for a few years before meeting up again to become adventurers.

This is in a moderately unoptimized party of an archer ranger, an overly defense focused bard and a "mysterious cat person" (will probably figure out what he's playing in the course of play, but the player hates metagaming to the point that he won't tell anyone but the DM what he's playing out of character). Encounters will generally be appropriate to the party's capabilities, but I'm more interested in RP advice and ideas for backstory than mechanics, given handbook and such. Planning a GlaiveLock build with moderate BC emphasis to balance out the party build-wise with plenty of UMD fun, though the bard should have the talking part covered. Hopefully. >.>

What are some ideas for why my (human) warlock just wants to help people and not be hated? How can I approach this RP concept without annoying the hell out of the other players? Any interesting quirks or mannerisms that you think might be fun or amusing to try?

Oh, and starting at level 5 with 3 items valued at 2,500 gold or less and up to 500 worth of other gear. Can sacrifice one item to gain a +1LA race (this game levels by DM say so, no XP), or sack an item to add half its value to another, so could get up to one 5,000 GP item plus the general gear, but not planning to. Or split one into two or more cheaper items totaling 2,000. I'm planning on a templated Mithral Chain Shirt, a Handy Haversack or Ring of Sustenance and an Amulet of Tears, plus a couple Blessed Bandages and some alchemical and mundane gear.

Be polite, respectful, compassionate and generally a good guy but with a fear of the "monster" inside. Really its up to the DM to make the npc act negatively to you and you respond to that. Assuming your going disciple you should start a cult :D

atemu1234
2015-07-09, 12:31 PM
Play an Unseelie Fey Human with your +1 LA. Take Winter's Chill for -Cha to saves aura. Everyone is uncomfortable around you, and you just want to be friends! YOU JUST WANT TO BE FRIENDS! Fight with the Bard over who gets to make Diplomacy checks. Make Diplomacy checks whenever you can, and even when you can't. Try your hardest not to take any benefit from any of them; you want to be getting people to Fanatic and then buying them a drink and being happy that you have a friend <3.

I want one.

PsyBomb
2015-07-09, 01:15 PM
Classic opportunity for an Atoner personality. If he comes from a line of fifty infernal masters, he wants to right what they've done wrong.

Remember that reskinning your abilities is perfectly legit, since you're running a Good character. I took a CG Exalted VoP Warlock from 1-20 (knew the DM was stingy at the outset, saved my party's hides many a time). I was shooting beams of light, my wings were feathered instead of batlike, etc.

marphod
2015-07-09, 02:05 PM
I want one.

Me Tooooooo.

(Get Familiar and then Improved Familiar; make yourself a Homonculous Familiar with too-large of a head, giant blue eyes, and an antenna. Make sure it is extra stupid. Teach it to sing the Doom song. Occasionally it channels whatever spirit is the source of your ancient pact, and in those moments, it is Evil and Extremely Competent, but those moments are only every other session or so. Give it a squeezy-toy and a really bad 'dog' costume.)

*ahem*

I would probably go with a base theme that the ancient pact has sold your line into the service of some Devil, but the contract has an out if one of the signers great grandchildren can earn some sort of macguffin. You're the last of the great grandkids, and if you don't find an way out, Dooooooom.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2015-07-09, 03:51 PM
Me Tooooooo.

(Get Familiar and then Improved Familiar; make yourself a Homonculous Familiar with too-large of a head, giant blue eyes, and an antenna. Make sure it is extra stupid. Teach it to sing the Doom song. Occasionally it channels whatever spirit is the source of your ancient pact, and in those moments, it is Evil and Extremely Competent, but those moments are only every other session or so. Give it a squeezy-toy and a really bad 'dog' costume.)

Getting some sort of totally non-threatening familiar is actually quite a good idea, especially if you can get one that can make use of your hopefully excellent UMD.