PDA

View Full Version : What would you do with these stats?

Sir Chuckles
2015-07-09, 01:08 AM
Recently, I've been playing a lot of games with solid 3d6 iron rolls, or at least postulating characters with friends about it.
I've always stated that I have incredibly strange luck, and these rolls are no different.

So, after sitting down to two different campaigns and rolling, I'm asking the playground what they would do with these three sets of rolls, in either Pathfinder or 3.5:

It goes Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha.

For the first, I had gone Half-Orc Cad Fighter, as the DM allowed Brutal Throw. The obvious choice was Wizard or another intelligence caster, but I had entered the campaign with a Dirty Trick mindset. This guy died as he lived. Kicking dangerous men in the crotch.

The second is now a Dwarf Sensei Monk. With the inability to make standing in the front line worth a darn, not enough Charisma is justify going Bard, and the fact that I could not go Scarred Witch Doctor, as Witches were not allowed, left me with something of an inspire courage character that also uses a reach weapon.

The third is now a Human Divine Hunter (of Cayden Cailen), using Agile Maneuvers and a scythe to trip. Mostly relies on the War Bull animal companion. Fluffed as a barley and hops farmer touched with religious fervor.

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-09, 01:19 AM
Recently, I've been playing a lot of games with solid 3d6 iron rolls, or at least postulating characters with friends about it.
I've always stated that I have incredibly strange luck, and these rolls are no different.

So, after sitting down to two different campaigns and rolling, I'm asking the playground what they would do with these three sets of rolls, in either Pathfinder or 3.5:

For the first, I had gone Half-Orc Cad Fighter, as the DM allowed Brutal Throw. The obvious choice was Wizard or another intelligence caster, but I had entered the campaign with a Dirty Trick mindset. This guy died as he lived. Kicking dangerous men in the crotch.

The second is now a Dwarf Sensei Monk. With the inability to make standing in the front line worth a darn, not enough Charisma is justify going Bard, and the fact that I could not go Scarred Witch Doctor, as Witches were not allowed, left me with something of an inspire courage character that also uses a reach weapon.

The third is now a Human Divine Hunter (of Cayden Cailen), using Agile Maneuvers and a scythe to trip. Mostly relies on the War Bull animal companion. Fluffed as a barley and hops farmer touched with religious fervor.

First set of stats should probably be an Int-based caster, because it's got nothing else that's workable. I'd play a Wizard and pick a hummingbird companion to offset the Dex penalty to initiative.

The second one could be built as an at least playable Daevic (from Akashic Mysteries) focused on Crimson Totem, since that veil lets you use Con for attack and damage. Strap on some full plate, avoid the save-based veils, and hope for the best.

Third set is damn near useless for anything specialized but at least doesn't have any glaring weaknesses. I'd go with a Warlock for that one and just poke from a distance with Eldritch Blast.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2015-07-09, 01:36 AM

How much cheese is allowed? For the first one, there are a couple options. The 4 into Con, then Ghost->MotUH. The 4 into Con, then Old (Venerable will actually kill you, I think), then Necropolitan; that gets you 16 into your casting stat. Or 4 into Str->Wild Ranger/Wild Monk->Warshaper->Soul Eater.

The second is a caster. 18 in the casting stat, nothing else matters. Or another Necropolitan, with the 18 in Wisdom, going max Wisdom synergy with Monk/Shiba Protector.

The third one qualifies to be rerolled by the rules in the PHB.

All three can also be played as Binders, Warlocks or Artificers; the first in particular might be fun to RP as an Artificer with 4 Wisdom. With the right racial choices, you could also do Totemist or Dragonfire Adept. Especially once you start adding templates, you can get by with nearly any attributes.

Nifft
2015-07-09, 02:18 AM
Recently, I've been playing a lot of games with solid 3d6 iron rolls (...) I think that means 3d6, in order, no swapping?

14 Int -> This is a Wizard. Halfling or Gnome to reduce the Dex or Con penalty in trade for the worthless Strength bonus. You are a very fat Wizard. Roleplay being very out of shape. If you're a Halfling, never forget to partake of second breakfast or elevensies or any of the other dozen daily meals.

18 Con -> This is a Dragonfire Adept. Optimize for breath weapon attacks and don't use Invocations with a save DC. You are proud of being a dragon and you know Dragons are terrible at dodging.

All middling stats -> This is a Warlock. Don't even try to use Save or Suffer, because your save DCs are poor. Use Invocations which don't allow a Save at all, and use Deceive Item to get access to spells which don't allow saves, including buff spells. You sold your soul because you were jealous of the cool kids acting better than you just because they won the genetics lottery.

Sir Chuckles
2015-07-09, 03:09 AM
How much cheese is allowed? For the first one, there are a couple options. The 4 into Con, then Ghost->MotUH. The 4 into Con, then Old (Venerable will actually kill you, I think), then Necropolitan; that gets you 16 into your casting stat. Or 4 into Str->Wild Ranger/Wild Monk->Warshaper->Soul Eater.

The second is a caster. 18 in the casting stat, nothing else matters. Or another Necropolitan, with the 18 in Wisdom, going max Wisdom synergy with Monk/Shiba Protector.

The third one qualifies to be rerolled by the rules in the PHB.

All three can also be played as Binders, Warlocks or Artificers; the first in particular might be fun to RP as an Artificer with 4 Wisdom. With the right racial choices, you could also do Totemist or Dragonfire Adept. Especially once you start adding templates, you can get by with nearly any attributes.

I probably should have made it more clear that the order that they're listed in is the stat that they are. No swapping them them around, no rerolling.

NevinPL
2015-07-09, 06:56 AM
First one some Wizard, or other INT caster\manifester\etc.
Second 3E Psychokinesis focused manifester, maybe Barbarian.
Third one could be Rogue, or some other character that relies on Dexterity, and has not so much HP.

P.S.
DnD is a Heroic Fantasy.
Playing should be fun.
So I don't really understand why you would want a character with 4 Dex, unless for comic relief, as he\she constantly falls down "entangled" in his\hers own legs.

I use one of the following for creating ability scores:

point buy 32, so you can have 18, or even two, assigned as you see fit (not so much now, since I like some randomness),
4d6 roll, assigned as you see fit. If sum comes up less than 10, don't disregard the lowest die roll. If it's still less than 10, bump it to 10.

Telonius
2015-07-09, 08:10 AM
12,4,9,14,11,12 - Could possibly work as a skillmonkey (Factotum comes to mind). Maybe be the Ghost of a guy who horribly flubbed a Reflex save?
10,8,18,11,10,7 - either get Lost Tradition from Bastards and Bloodlines (if it's allowed - it is third party) and be some sort of a caster, or enjoy your Totemist. It could also work as a Hellfire Warlock, even if Naberius isn't available.
8,10,13,10,10,9 - Yeah, this is probably going to be a Warlock.

Darrin
2015-07-09, 09:41 AM
Tibbit Warlock (with a human hireling pretending to be a wizard w/ his cat "familiar") or a Muckdweller Dragonfire Adept.

dascarletm
2015-07-09, 10:53 AM
So I don't really understand why you would want a character with 4 Dex, unless for comic relief, as he\she constantly falls down "entangled" in his\hers own legs.

I must have missed that section in the PHB.
You can very well play someone serious with 4 dex. They just don't move out of the way against reflex targeted attacks, and doesn't dodge attacks very well. Plenty of serious characters to be had.