PDA

View Full Version : Acrobatic bonuses to Jumping?

The Shadowdove
2015-07-09, 01:13 AM
Hey guys,

So this is how I understand Jumping works (taken from a reddit or somesuch that someone got from the PHB?):

A running start is 10 feet of movement towards the jump point before jumping.
running Long jump = strength score in feet.
running high jump = 3 + strength modifier.
not getting a running start halves the jump distance/height.
Also, you can add your height x 1.5 to your jump height to see how high you can reach when grabbing ledges.

My questions are:

1) Is there ANY way acrobatics might help someone assist their jump?
2) If so, how?
3) What kind of stipulations / conditions / rolls are involved?

For example: A player in my game is a Swashbuckler rogue with 19 dex.

Tonight a carrion crawler was 15 feet above ground, on the ceiling.

Her reach with her strength was around 10 feet.

Could she have added an acrobatics-type roll to assist her jump?

Off of an allies back, kicking off of the wall (Jackie Chan style!), or by using a grappling hook to swing (Robin Hood Style!)?

I'd love to be able to answer her questions... as I had no ruling aside from what was in the PHB for jumping, which seems to exclude any form of dexterity from it's description.

Thank you so so much everyone. I hate to leave my players with an unclear answer like this. Usually I can at least give them benefit of the doubt, but the rules didnt even have a vague alternative.

-Dove

djreynolds
2015-07-09, 02:45 AM
The athlete feat will help with jumps and give you a plus 1 to dexterity, getting proficiency and/or expertise in athletics will help as will class features of rogue, fighter, monk, or barbarian. Otherwise, you may find a magic item or spell that can boost your strength if your build doesn't allow for ASI's in strength.

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-09, 04:34 AM
Hey guys,

So this is how I understand Jumping works (taken from a reddit or somesuch that someone got from the PHB?):

Also, you can add your height x 1.5 to your jump height to see how high you can reach when grabbing ledges.

My questions are:

2) If so, how?

Off of an allies back, kicking off of the wall (Jackie Chan style!), or by using a grappling hook to swing (Robin Hood Style!)?

I'd love to be able to answer her questions... as I had no ruling aside from what was in the PHB for jumping, which seems to exclude any form of dexterity from it's description.

Thank you so so much everyone. I hate to leave my players with an unclear answer like this. Usually I can at least give them benefit of the doubt, but the rules didnt even have a vague alternative.

-Dove

If the distance is the same distance someone can jump or some further. You can say he has to make an acrobatics check.

Alerad
2015-07-09, 06:45 AM
I find the core rules for jumping very boring. A character with 8 strength can't possibly jump over 10 feet hole, 10 or more is automatic success. Instead I make my players roll for Athletics, advantage in case of running start. Your score total is how far you can jump. Two of my players are Assassins and have Acrobatics, and neither Athletics nor high strength. On occasion I let them do Acrobatics check instead.
I hope this helps :)

Bubzors
2015-07-09, 06:47 AM
As long as it makes sense in game I would allow an acrobatics check to increase the jump distance slightly. All of your suggestions of jumping off a back or wall seems perfectly reasonable.

A house rule I use as a DM in my group is that you can either make an acrobatics or athletics check, DC I determine, to slightly increase your jump distance. Only can jump 17 feet per the rules but come across a 20 ft gap? Hit a DC 17 athletics for that extra umph you need to clear the distance. A near miss might lead to you just grabbing the ledge, a big miss you just fall

Once a Fool
2015-07-09, 07:15 AM
Hey guys,

My questions are:

2) If so, how?

-Dove

If I were DMing, I would allow parkour-style jumps with a Strength (Acrobatics) check. Similarly, swinging on a chandelier or rope could be a Dexterity (Athletics) check (but it's not a jump!).

I think, in general, that if you remember that skills do not have to be anchored to the scores they usually are associated with, adjudicating these scenarios may be a little easier.

Consider, also, letting a Dexterity (Acrobatics) check grant resistance to falling damage with success against a DC = number of feet fallen. Success also means characters lands on their feet.

Also, consider a simpler rule for the jump skill: Does it seem possible and is it cool? If yes, set a DC of 10 and have them roll for success. If only one of those two things, set the DC at 15, 20, or impossible.

Hawkstar
2015-07-09, 07:40 AM
Hey guys,

My questions are:

2) If so, how?

I would assume "Yes". Furthermore... D&D's skill system is not abstract.

If you want to use a grappling hook, you have the length of the rope to work with. Jumping off a wall or ally allows a second jump (Though off a non-horizontal platform would probably halve again the maximum height of the second jump) So, had she jumped off an ally, it would probably require an acrobatics check, and, if successful, you'd add the height of the platform she's jumping off of to the height of the final distance. If she's jumping off a wall, you'd call for a simple Acrobatics stunt (Probably DC 10), and add the height she's able to jump to the additional height... Or, for a slightly harder check (No more than DC 15), you can let her run up the wall and jump from there, which should about 5' too the jump's height with a 10' running start.

Or, you could just call for an Athletics check for "Jumping beyond her normal range".

For jumping off the wall, you use Dexterity, not strength, because the Athletics(Strength) check is automatic if the distance is 'safe' - you just need the dexterity to get the timing and positioning right to make the jump - Being stronger doesn't help, you need control.
I find the core rules for jumping very boring. A character with 8 strength can't possibly jump over 10 feet hole, 10 or more is automatic success. Instead I make my players roll for Athletics, advantage in case of running start. Your score total is how far you can jump. Two of my players are Assassins and have Acrobatics, and neither Athletics nor high strength. On occasion I let them do Acrobatics check instead.
I hope this helps :)... you are aware that one of the explicit uses of the Athletics skill is "Jump further than you normally can", right?