PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Backstory Help- 9yr old Half-Orc Rogue level 5

nuaragonis
2015-07-09, 02:52 AM
Just about to start a new campaign with my group and I rolled really well, so me and my DM talked about making a younger character who probably should not be traveling the world so as to nerf the character as well as get some good roleplay. Any Ideas on how to make his backstory match up to him being out in the world and doing as well as the other party members. Thanks for the Help.

grarrrg
2015-07-09, 03:11 AM
Just about to start a new campaign with my group and I rolled really well, so me and my DM talked about making a younger character who probably should not be traveling the world so as to nerf the character as well as get some good roleplay. Any Ideas on how to make his backstory match up to him being out in the world and doing as well as the other party members. Thanks for the Help.

9 year old.
Rogue.
Traveling.
Successful.

Circus Performer.

khadgar567
2015-07-09, 03:21 AM
9 year old.
Rogue.
Traveling.
Successful.

Circus Performer.
actually add child protege

Alent
2015-07-09, 03:26 AM
As a half-orc, the natural is his mother died and he was run out of the small hamlet because no one wanted the orcish raider's spawn around.

This leads him from one major city to another, where he lives as an Artful Dodger, stealing odds and ends and working to survive, leaving whenever any of the local law get aggressive.

If that appeals to you, you'll probably want to come up with his opinions on his father and his father's kind- does he hate them? Was he rejected by them? Does he hope to find them? Etc. (Similar questions as well for his Mother and her kin)

And this is one that I personally enjoy roleplaying out: Can he read and write? I've found having an illiterate party member and forcing people to read for him in character can have some really fun roleplaying results.

nuaragonis
2015-07-09, 03:54 AM
As a half-orc, the natural is his mother died and he was run out of the small hamlet because no one wanted the orcish raider's spawn around.

This leads him from one major city to another, where he lives as an Artful Dodger, stealing odds and ends and working to survive, leaving whenever any of the local law get aggressive.

If that appeals to you, you'll probably want to come up with his opinions on his father and his father's kind- does he hate them? Was he rejected by them? Does he hope to find them? Etc. (Similar questions as well for his Mother and her kin)

And this is one that I personally enjoy roleplaying out: Can he read and write? I've found having an illiterate party member and forcing people to read for him in character can have some really fun roleplaying results.

Thanks for the ideas, I was going to play it out that he cannot read. It will add that little extra RP to the game, maybe one of the party members can teach me or something. Create a bond with one of them.

Spore
2015-07-09, 07:10 AM

If we go full cliché and want to explain how he got so skilled with 9 years old you need to introduce a mentor. Picking up things yourself needs time (or said over-qualified child prodigy) and this gives you a way to tie into your "infanthood" as well as an explanation why he wasn't driven out of the hamlet earlier (and died to wolves or similar).

Psyren
2015-07-09, 09:03 AM
1) See if you can get a custom Drawback (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/drawbacks) to be illiterate, granting you an extra trait at 1st level. You can still learn to read later (potentially great RP moment) and the extra trait isn't going to break anything.

2) Consider adding the Young Template. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/simple-template-young-cr-1) That way, if the campaign goes long enough that you "grow up," you can easily remove it later without rebuilding your character.

3) Use the vastly superior Unchained Rogue. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/unchained-classes/rogue-unchained)

atemu1234
2015-07-09, 12:33 PM
actually add child protege

... Genius but Lazy?