PDA

View Full Version : Four Chainz. Looking for build advice.

frogglesmash
2015-07-09, 06:58 AM
I've got an idea for a build, but it's not fully fleshed out yet, and it's rather late where I am, so I thought I'd let the playground help me put it together while I sleep.

The idea is pretty simple, I want to wield four spiked chains. As four (geddit) how to do that? All I know for sure is that I need to get 4 levels of cave stalker, and access to the ranger's two weapon fighting style, after that I want to put in lots of warblade.

The rules after that are:
All official WotC as well as all dragon magazine allowed.
Max of +2 LA.
Racial HD are okay, but less is better.
If you can get me some extra reach or more than four arms that's just gravy.
Please avoid using too much cheese.

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-09, 07:15 AM
What do you need Cave Stalker for? Or is it just a random requirement?

Regardless, consider the Obah-Blessed template (Dungon 136, p. 60). It gives you +2 Str, +4 Dex, +2 Con, +4 Cha, an extra pair of arms, and multiweapon fighting as a bonus feat, and is LA +2. Just find some way to be Large all the time and wield a medium spiked chain (or large kusari-gama; same damage die, same weapon properties) in each hand.

dysprosium
2015-07-09, 07:27 AM
Cavestalker 4 allows the use of a spiked chain as a one handed weapon.

Thri-kreen or diopsids are the only races I know of that have four arms to start.
Thri-kreen are 2HD with +2 LA and diopsids are only +1 LA.

Extra Anchovies
2015-07-09, 07:30 AM
Cavestalker 4 allows the use of a spiked chain as a one handed weapon.

The only Cave Stalker I can find (the one in Dragon 292) is a five-level dwarf-only PrC that gives enhanced darkvision at level 4. OP probably should have specified what book/issue the Cave Stalker he wants is from.

dysprosium
2015-07-09, 08:07 AM
Cavestalker (one word) is a prestige class from Drow of the Underdark.

It's a ten level prestige class that at Level 4 does what I had mentioned earlier. I believe this is the PrC the OP is speaking of otherwise it doesn't make much sense. :smallwink:

OldTrees1
2015-07-09, 11:15 AM
IIRC Diopsid have nice TWF but terrible MWF since 2 of their arms are weak arms. So I would stick with the Thri-kreen. You can get a ECL 3 non psionic Thri-keen from the Savage Species book(2RHD, +1LA).

So ECL 10 via Thri-Kreen Barbarian 1(for Pounce but really anything works for this level) / Ranger 2 / Cavestalker[Drow of the Underdark] 4. (ECL 9 with LA buyoff)

Darrin
2015-07-09, 12:47 PM
Here's a thri-kreen build I was futzing around with:

Race: Non-Psionic Thri-Kreen
1) Thri-Kreen 1. Feat: Power Attack. Bonus: Deflect Arrows.
2) Thri-Kreen 2.
3) Ranger 1. Feat: Improved Bull Rush. Bonus: Track.
4) Ranger 2. Bonus: MWF.
5) Fighter 1. Bonus: Oversize TWF.
6) Cavestalker 1. Feat: Leap Attack.
7) Cavestalker 2.
8) Cavestalker 3.
9) Cavestalker 4. Feat: Improved MWF. Bonus: EWP Spiked Chain.
10) Fighter 2. Bonus: Weapon Focus.
11) Exotic Weapon Master 1.
12) Exotic Weapon Master 2. Feat: Shock Trooper.
13) Monk 1. Bonus: Dodge.
14) Monk 2. Bonus: Mobility.
15) Fighter 3. Feat: Roofwalker.
16) Fighter 4. Bonus: Greater MWF.
17) Barbarian 1. SLT Pounce, Whirling Frenzy.
18) Fighter 5. Feat: Roof-Jumper.
19) Fighter 6. Bonus: Weapon Specialization.

Hmmm. I'm still fiddling... trying to combine my T'chub-t'chub (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18981080&postcount=23) and Thumpelina (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18984751&postcount=25) builds, so that you can trigger a Pounce/Full Attack with a move action (jumping 20'+ straight up). I may need Leaping Dragon Stance (Swordsage 2 dip gets me that and Weapon Focus, which could replace two fighter levels) or Leap of the Heavens. There are also Monk ACFs in Dungeonscape for Stanging Long/High Jumps, but I'm not sure I want six levels of Monk in the build.

The Viscount
2015-07-10, 09:39 AM
On a somewhat shakier level, if you take 2 levels of Totemist and bind the Girallon Arms to your totem, you have 4 claw attacks, so it stands to reason that you would have 4 arms. The entry is silent on whether these arms can be used for wielding extra weapons, so you'd have to talk to your DM.

Heliomance
2015-07-10, 10:11 AM
Cavestalker (one word) is a prestige class from Drow of the Underdark.

It's a ten level prestige class that at Level 4 does what I had mentioned earlier. I believe this is the PrC the OP is speaking of otherwise it doesn't make much sense. :smallwink:

That looks like an interesting future Iron Chef ingredient. Noted.

On a somewhat shakier level, if you take 2 levels of Totemist and bind the Girallon Arms to your totem, you have 4 claw attacks, so it stands to reason that you would have 4 arms. The entry is silent on whether these arms can be used for wielding extra weapons, so you'd have to talk to your DM.

Gloves of Man from Savage Species should help with that

The Viscount
2015-07-10, 01:27 PM
Well done then. That's that taken out of the way, and since Girallon Arms are bound to the Totem, your hands are free. Would you have to wear 4, or are your real arms still ok? If you need 4 that's extra item slot, which is a bit annoying.

Cavestalker would make a pretty great SI. I think the chefs would appreciate an ingredient with some actual positive aspects.

holbita
2023-11-20, 04:47 PM
Poor Kyton...

It would be the perfect choice for this if not for the restrictions.

truemane
2023-11-21, 09:06 AM
Metamagic Mod: Thread Necromancy