PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Githzerai, custom race

Elbacone
2015-07-09, 07:20 AM
Hi there, I'm starting a new character and wanted to make a Githzerai monk. But as there is no available race I thought to make my own and present that to my DM. I was hoping if any of you guys would be so kind to critique my creation.

PDF sheet (https://www.dropbox.com/home/DnD?preview=Githzerai+dnd+5.0.pdf)

Githzerai traits
Ability score increases. Your Dexterity score increases by 2, and your Wisdom score increases by 1.
Age. Githzerai mature at the same rate as humans but live a few years longer.
Alignment. Githzerai are pragmatic to a fault, but unlike their githyanki cousins they are not evil. They are usually chaotic neutral, neutral, or lawful neutral. As focused as they are, some find it difficult to see them as chaotic, but while they are fiercely loyal to their race and their leaders, theirs is the loyalty of free beings, not the servility of slaves. They prize individual freedom above all else.
Size. Githzerai resemble humans, but are slightly taller and thinner. Their features are sharper, their faces are longer, and their eyes range from gray to a catlike yellow color. They stand a little over six feet tall and weigh approximately 160 pounds. Their skin is rough and yellow (occasionally shading to brown or green) and their hair is russet, although males commonly shave their heads or retain only a single braid in back, with carefully controlled facial hair. Females often keep their hair in tight buns or braids. Their ears are pointed.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision. You have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Mental resilience. You have advantage on saving throws against psychic attacks and resistance to psychic damage.
Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Deep Speech.
Psionics. You know the Mage Hand cantrip. Once you reach 3rd level, you can cast the shield spell once per day. Once you reach 5th level, you can also cast the misty step spell once per day. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for these spells.
Keen senses. You have proficiency in the Perception skill.

rollingForInit
2015-07-09, 07:31 AM
What counts as a "psychic attack"? Anything that does psychic damage? Domination spells? Charm spells?

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-09, 07:34 AM
Hi there, I'm starting a new character and wanted to make a Githzerai monk. But as there is no available race I thought to make my own and present that to my DM. I was hoping if any of you guys would be so kind to critique my creation.

Githzerai traits
Ability score increases. Your Dexterity score increases by 2, and your Wisdom score increases by 1.
Alignment. Githzerai are pragmatic to a fault, but unlike their githyanki cousins they are not evil. They are usually chaotic neutral, neutral, or lawful neutral. As focused as they are, some find it difficult to see them as chaotic, but while they are fiercely loyal to their race and their leaders, theirs is the loyalty of free beings, not the servility of slaves. They prize individual freedom above all else.
Size. Githzerai resemble humans, but are slightly taller and thinner. Their features are sharper, their faces are longer, and their eyes range from gray to a catlike yellow color. They stand a little over six feet tall and weigh approximately 160 pounds. Their skin is rough and yellow (occasionally shading to brown or green) and their hair is russet, although males commonly shave their heads or retain only a single braid in back, with carefully controlled facial hair. Females often keep their hair in tight buns or braids. Their ears are pointed.
Darkvision. You have superior vision in dark and dim conditions. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can’t discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Mental resilience. You have advantage on saving throws against psychic attacks and resistance to psychic damage.
Psionics. You know the Mage Hand cantrip. Once you reach 3rd level, you can cast the shield spell once per day. Once you reach 5th level, you can also cast the misty step spell once per day. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

First of all, this should be on the Homebrew subforum. I believe you can request a move by reporting your own thread.

Secondly, this is basically a reskinned Tiefling, so balance is a non-issue. The extra skill is nice, but psychic damage is much less common than fire, so that's ok.

Thirdly (my favourite part): nitpicks!

I believe 5e Psionics are tied to Int, rather than Wis.
They should get Gith as a language. Since Deep Speech has no (official) written form, I would advise a straight swap. Since the Gith are descended from elves, I would assume their language is written in Espruar.
Maybe add a racial feat relating to the fabled silver swords?
As mentioned above, 'psychic attacks' isn't something explicitly defined in the rules. It would be good to clarify what you mean there.

DersitePhantom
2015-07-09, 07:45 AM

What is a "psychic attack"? Is it an attack that deals psychic damage? Is it a spell that alters your mind? It's not a defined term in the game. A fixed version would be:

Mental resilience. You have advantage on saving throws against enchantment spells and resistance to psychic damage.

I figure that's at least close to what you had in mind.

Additionally, your psionics spellcasting section is fine by and large, but technically (and this is a very minor detail) it should use 'long rest' rather than 'per day', in accordance with the errata. It's be cool if you could find a way to use a psionic discipline (from the psionics UA), but that would likely be more complicated.

Elbacone
2015-07-09, 08:06 AM
Thank you for the replies so far!
@rollingForInit
Good question. I had a psionic attack in mind. But lacking any actual psionic classes or abilities this seems off. The suggestion mentioned by DersitePhantom by changing it to advantage on enchantment spells seems like a good change, thank you.

@Ninja_Prawn
- I reported my own thread, thank you. I didn't know there was a homebrew section >.<
- It is indeed a reskinned tiefling, I started from a wood elf/dark elf but they seem to have way more abilities than a tiefling so I thought for balancing ease to keep it simple and one extra skill isn't going to change the world;
- Tying the psionics to Int could be ruleswise correct but flavorwise I find the wisdom stat more suitable. Besides weren't there different psionic classes keying of different abilities?
- Giving them Gith makes more sense. I thought to stick with the ones mentioned in the rulesbook;
- I've never read anything about the 'fabled swords'? And what did you have in mind? Cause an actual feat is too good, but perhaps a minor boon?

DersitePhantom
2015-07-09, 08:14 AM
Thank you for the replies so far!
- Tying the psionics to Int could be ruleswise correct but flavorwise I find the wisdom stat more suitable. Besides weren't there different psionic classes keying of different abilities?

5e psionics so far looks like it's entirely INT focussed. Here's the link in case you haven't seen it: https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/awakened-mystic

Elbacone
2015-07-09, 08:21 AM
No I didn't know there was an unearthed arcana version of psionics. But all I see is one class, the Mystic, indeed using Int as it's main ability. But like the Wizard using Int and the sorceror using Cha, I do not think it strange to think that there must be or going to be classes keying of Wis like the Vitalist from Pathfinder?

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-09, 08:46 AM

Githzerai traits

A little bit boring, it's like a wood elf with some other things, but it's balanced and I don't see why you can't use this.

This has to be at the homebrew subforum.

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-09, 08:47 AM

Githzerai traits

A little bit boring, it's like a wood elf with some other things, but it's balanced and I don't see why you can't use this.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-09, 09:41 AM
@Ninja_Prawn
- Giving them Gith makes more sense. I thought to stick with the ones mentioned in the rulesbook;
- I've never read anything about the 'fabled swords'? And what did you have in mind? Cause an actual feat is too good, but perhaps a minor boon?

Fair enough, but since Gith is included in the MM, I would argue that it is included in the rulebook.
Well, the Gith are famous for their ability to manufacture special silver swords that are capable of severing the cord between an astral body and the corresponding material body. It might be more of a Githyanki thing than a Githzerai thing, but still. By 'racial feat', I meant one that can be taken optionally, though in retrospect maybe just including them as a magic item would be more sensible.

No I didn't know there was an unearthed arcana version of psionics. But all I see is one class, the Mystic, indeed using Int as it's main ability. But like the Wizard using Int and the sorceror using Cha, I do not think it strange to think that there must be or going to be classes keying of Wis like the Vitalist from Pathfinder?

All of the MM races with psionics use Int as well, as far as I can remember (I'm at work ATM, without my books).

Elbacone
2015-07-10, 09:59 AM
Good point and good for flavor, changed the language to Gith.

A custom magic item might be better yes. But writing something in the lore or a minor thing for someone with the correct tool proficiency might be cool.

Ok keying off INT might be better. Should I change the +1 Wis to INT as well then or just the kye ability for the psionics? Not as if they really matter for the spells that you get.

Debihuman
2015-07-10, 10:47 AM

Which edition is this for? 3.0 Githzerai can be found in Psionics Handbook, 3.5 Githzerai can be found in revised Monster Manual and Expanded Psionics Handbook. 4e can find them in Monster Manual and Player's Handbook 3. Gith are in the 5e MM as well. Not sure why you couldn't find them.

FYI, Githzerai are not open content, which is why they are not in the SRD.

Debby

Ninja_Prawn
2015-07-10, 01:23 PM
Which edition is this for? 3.0 Githzerai can be found in Psionics Handbook, 3.5 Githzerai can be found in revised Monster Manual and Expanded Psionics Handbook. 4e can find them in Monster Manual and Player's Handbook 3. Gith are in the 5e MM as well. Not sure why you couldn't find them.

FYI, Githzerai are not open content, which is why they are not in the SRD.

Debby

This is for 5e; the thread was moved from the 5e specific forum. Elbacone: you might want to change the tag for the new subforum.

And I just looked through the MM. I was wrong, Githzerai psionics is Wisdom-based (in my defense, Githyanki use Intelligence). Keep the ASI as you had it to begin with. If you are interested in the swords, a couple of paragraphs are given to them on pages 158 and 159.

Int
Wis
Unknown

Githyanki
Githzerai
Flumph

Grey Ooze
Quaggoth Thonot

Illithid
Thri-Kreen

ZenBear
2015-07-10, 02:05 PM
Make the Gith base race have the Dex bonus and mental resilience, make two subraces Yanki and Zerai have Int and Wis bonuses respectively along with unique psionic powers keyed off their respective stat. Personally, I would make the Int/Wis bonus the +2 because we have enough +2 Dex races already.

Elbacone
2015-07-13, 06:29 AM
Sorry yes this post was moved, I changed to tag reflecting the move. Sorry for any inconvience.

I do not own a MM and I don't want to as long I'm not dm'ing. Not knowing the monsters keeps it more fun.
I'll speak to my dm to see if I can look into just the race, thank you for the tip.

And @Nina_prawn, HAH! Told you it made more sense that way ;) all is good now.

@ZenBea. I think there is a reason for it because the stat is used more then a wis/int because martial characters are used more than caster types. Besides, on the point buy scale it doesn't matter if you wanna start with both at 16.

Thank you all for the comments and critisicm, hope my DM will allow the homebrew. Looking forward to kicking planar ass :)

Sicarius Victis
2016-05-18, 01:55 AM
I may be wrong about this, but I seem to recall that the psionic silver swords were a purely Githyanki thing. From a fluff standpoint it makes sense, as the Githyanki, who are almost always evil, will use the sword to trap people on the Astral Plane, but the Githzerai, who aren't usually evil, don't typically do that. From a mechanics standpoint it makes sense as well. The Githyanki, who are typically fighters, would make good use of longswords/bastards swords. The Githzerai, who are typically monks, would have no use for them.