PDA

View Full Version : Bonus damage on Eldritch Blast

LentilNinja
2015-07-09, 11:20 AM
As a frequent Warlock player, I often try to find ways to get more damage on my EB (Especially when I play as a Glaive user). So far, here are the different ways I've found to add damage:

Power Attack (Debatable whether it works with Glaive. Most DMs I know say no to it)
Avenging Strike (Only works on Outsiders and when using the Glaive. Can be debated like PA, but the bonus to damage isn't "melee damage".)
Knowledge Devotion (requires a Knowledge check.)
Maximize/Empower SLA
Hellfire Warlock's "Hellfire Blast"
Eldritch Disciple's "Wild Frenzy" (Spends a turn attempt.)
Mortalbane (Doesn't work on outsiders / undead / constructs)
(Greater) Chasuble of Fell Power
(Greater) Psionic Shot (Requires being psionic in some way)
Aligned Attack (Requires being Psionic)
Factotum level 1 (Spend an Inspiration point for +Int.)
Sneak Attack
Skirmish damage
Craven (if you have Sneak Attack)
Sorcerer's Hand weapon abilities (If being used as an arcane focus)
Enlightened Spirit Prestige Class

I'm looking for any I've missed, so let me know and I will include them.

Rubik
2015-07-09, 11:22 AM
(Greater) chasuble of fell power
(Greater) Psionic Shot feat
Aligned Attack feat
Levels in factotum for +Int mod
Levels in rogue for sneak attack

LentilNinja
2015-07-09, 12:59 PM
Added10char

Grod_The_Giant
2015-07-09, 01:08 PM
Skirmish
Don't forget to take Craven if you dip for sneak attack.

Rubik
2015-07-09, 01:25 PM
The sorcerer's hand crossbow (A&EG 117) won't add damage directly via enhancement bonus (though it does add to the to-hit bonus), but you can apply effects such as Strength of My Enemy, Prevenom Weapon, weapon augment crystals, Dissolving Weapon, weapon abilities, and so on.

Psyren
2015-07-09, 01:53 PM
In gestalt, the Enlightened Spirit PrC will do this.

LentilNinja
2015-07-09, 02:06 PM
Didn't know about the Sorcerer's Hand one. Added those in.

marphod
2015-07-09, 02:44 PM
Some DMs may allow Favored Enemy bonuses to work; in which case, so would Inspire Courage, and similar effects. (Prayer, etc.)

Skirmish (need a way to move with your Swift action) and Sudden Strike as appropriate.

Theoretically, Weapon Specialization (Touch Spells).

Justicar's bonus damage, if you can make the attack non-lethal.

Warlock's Scepter (limited times per day)

Some DMs might allow it as part of a Full-Round Duskblade Arcane Channel (but I can't imagine a good Warlock build with 13 levels of Duskblade)

Vitriolic Blast (+2d6, acid, bypasses SR)

Maximize/Empower SLA. Sudden Maximize/Empower.

Quicken SLA (doesn't work with a Eldritch Glaive, but fire off a quickened Chain, and follow up with the Glaive)

nedz
2015-07-09, 03:21 PM
+Charisma

Avenging Strike
Divine Might
Iajutsu Master 5
Samurai 3
Slippers of Battledancing
Spiritual Force
Tomb Warden 3

+Dexterity
Dead Eye

+Intelligence

Control Body
Darkrunner 8
Eternal Blade 1
Factotum 1
Swashbuckler 3

Ranger Favoured Enemy
Horizon Walker Favoured Terrain

QuickLyRaiNbow
2015-07-09, 03:56 PM
While it's not strictly increasing EB damage, the Eldritch Claws feat allows you to make natural attacks that deal unarmed strike + EB damage. Since they're claws, you can use the Beast Strike feat to add that damage to your unarmed strike damage, allowing you to make unarmed strikes that deal unarmed strike + (unarmed strike + EB) damage. Throw in some size increases and the standard unarmed strike damage increase feats, plus maybe INA (Claws).

Some DMs might allow it as part of a Full-Round Duskblade Arcane Channel (but I can't imagine a good Warlock build with 13 levels of Duskblade)

There's always gestalt. Take good utility invocations to cover the Duskblade's weak points.

ShurikVch
2015-07-09, 04:21 PM
If we speaking about the precision damage, then there are some more:
Ambush (Outlaw of the Crimson Road 1)
Cunning Strike (Factotum 4)
Swift Surge (Swiftblade 1)
Surprise Strike (Cloaked Dancer 2)

+Dexterity
Fighter ACF: Hit-and-Run Tactics

+Wisdom
Illumian Power Sigils (Aeshoon): 2/day spend turn/rebuke attempt to get +Wisdom to damage for 1 turn
Shiba Protector 1

Swashbuckler 3Is Eldritch Blast a finesseable weapon?

QuickLyRaiNbow
2015-07-09, 04:25 PM
Is Eldritch Blast a finesseable weapon?

No. But if you use Eldritch Claws it becomes a natural weapon, which is finessable.

Edit: there's some ambiguity with hideous blow and eldritch glaive; I don't think either works but don't have time to do the research.

nedz
2015-07-09, 04:41 PM
Is Eldritch Blast a finesseable weapon?

Edit: there's some ambiguity with hideous blow and eldritch glaive; I don't think either works but don't have time to do the research.

CArc p73 implies it will work with Eldritch Glaive since it's a weaponlike SLA.

It will only work with Hideous Blow if the weapon you are channelling your blast through is itself finessable.

phlidwsn
2015-07-09, 04:53 PM
Quicken SLA (doesn't work with a Eldritch Glaive, but fire off a quickened Chain, and follow up with the Glaive)

Quicken SLA should work just fine with Eldritch Glaive. With the errata its a 2nd level SLA once EG is applied, so from Warlock 12 and up Quickened Eldritch Glaive should be legal.

marphod
2015-07-10, 01:28 AM
Quicken SLA should work just fine with Eldritch Glaive. With the errata its a 2nd level SLA once EG is applied, so from Warlock 12 and up Quickened Eldritch Glaive should be legal.

*blink* I just assumed that Quicken SLA didn't work on SLAs that took longer than a standard action. Nope.

Wheeeee. Fire 'em up and go to town.

Troacctid
2015-07-10, 01:59 AM
Brimstone blast. Baneful blast. Gloves of eldritch admixture. Epic Eldritch Blast. More levels of Warlock.

Some DMs may allow Favored Enemy bonuses to work; in which case, so would Inspire Courage, and similar effects. (Prayer, etc.)

It shouldn't require DM adjudication. Favored enemy damage bonuses explicitly apply to weaponlike spells.

Weaponlike spells that deal some form of damage—lethal damage, nonlethal damage, ability damage, or ability drain—or that bestow negative levels can threaten critical hits, can be used with precision damage (see page 42), and can be used with favored enemy damage bonuses.

Taveena
2015-07-10, 03:52 AM
[LIST]
Power Attack (Debatable whether it works with Glaive. Most DMs I know say no to it)

According to Complete Arcane, weaponlike spells are a Light Weapon, and you can't power attack with them, so Eldritch Glaive can't work with it. I'm not sure what there is in favor of it being usable.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-07-10, 07:00 AM
Shiba Protector 1 (+Wis to attack and damage).

Skirmish (need a way to move with your Swift action)
Only if you're using Glaive. Otherwise it works perfectly with the standard-action blast.

gooddragon1
2015-07-10, 07:32 AM
Punishing stance +1d6 damage -2 AC with the glaive (Tome of Battle).

QuickLyRaiNbow
2015-07-10, 09:56 AM
According to Complete Arcane, weaponlike spells are a Light Weapon, and you can't power attack with them, so Eldritch Glaive can't work with it. I'm not sure what there is in favor of it being usable.

That the shape is eldritch glaive and glaives are two-handed. There's no rule or ruling that suggests that should matter, but it has a fluffy sort of logic to it, and that counts for a lot with some people.

The Viscount
2015-07-10, 10:06 AM
If you're using the Glaive, the Gauntlets of Heartfelt blows adds Cha to damage.

Taveena
2015-07-10, 10:43 AM
That the shape is eldritch glaive and glaives are two-handed. There's no rule or ruling that suggests that should matter, but it has a fluffy sort of logic to it, and that counts for a lot with some people.

Even if you're holding a Kukri in both hands, you still can't power attack with it. As far as I can tell by RAW they have no leg to stand on.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2015-07-10, 11:21 AM
Even if you're holding a Kukri in both hands, you still can't power attack with it. As far as I can tell by RAW they have no leg to stand on.

Indeed. I need extra characters.

Taveena
2015-07-10, 12:44 PM
Would it be worth adding the Vitriolic, Incarnum, and Brimstone Blast Essences? I mean, they're all damage increases that could be missed.

jiriku
2015-07-10, 12:53 PM
Sudden Maximize and Sudden Empower work with eldritch blast. Useful for a completist if you've already taken Maximize SLA etc.

nedz
2015-07-10, 01:01 PM
Sudden Maximize and Sudden Empower work with eldritch blast. Useful for a completist if you've already taken Maximize SLA etc.

You can use all of the Suddens, though I'm not sure how useful Sudden Extend or Sudden Silent would be, except to qualify for Sudden Quicken perhaps. Sudden Extend could be applied to other Invocations I suppose, but Invocations have no verbal component so Sudden Silent would be pointless.

Taveena
2015-07-10, 01:05 PM
You can use all of the Suddens, though I'm not sure how useful Sudden Extend or Sudden Silent would be, except to qualify for Sudden Quicken perhaps. Sudden Extend could be applied to other Invocations I suppose, but Invocations have no verbal component so Sudden Silent would be pointless.

Sudden Extend lets you hold an Eldritch Glaive for two rounds, which... I mean all that does is let you keep threatening for one round. But it's something!

ShurikVch
2015-07-10, 01:10 PM
Hideous Blow + Eldritch Claws = doubled damage?

The Viscount
2015-07-10, 01:17 PM
Possibly, but you deal more damage just using Eldritch claws to make 2 attacks, since Hideous Blow is limited to a single attack as a standard action. There's a reason people say it blows hideously.

ShurikVch
2015-07-10, 01:22 PM
Possibly, but you deal more damage just using Eldritch claws to make 2 attacks, since Hideous Blow is limited to a single attack as a standard action.Quicken SLA?
Dual Strike?

QuickLyRaiNbow
2015-07-10, 07:07 PM
Quicken SLA?
Dual Strike?

Quicken SLA would work. Dual Strike would not; both it and hideous blow require standard actions to use.