PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Old program is dead, need a decent Tabletop Simulator that isn't Roll20(see inside)

Dunsparce
2015-07-09, 11:38 AM
My group has been using an obscure program called OpenRPG for over three years, and we think it finally died. We all hate roll 20 for 2 main reasons, mostly regarding using sprites(Or "Tokens" as Roll20 calls them)

-You have to put them in a queue in order to use them, making it hard to just use random pictures off the internet like we have been
-The sprites auto-resize, making it a pain to use larger, non-square-fitting sprites

We'd prefer a program with both of those properties, which is the main reason why we used OpenRPG in the first place(Also we just overall prefered the setup of the program compared to the browser-based roll20 with a billion tabs)

Flickerdart
2015-07-09, 11:45 AM
Maptool sounds like it'll fit the bill for you.

Mr.Moron
2015-07-09, 12:20 PM
Maptool sounds like it'll fit the bill for you.

I'll second this, maptool is pretty solid.

Joe the Rat
2015-07-09, 02:01 PM
There are ways around the resize issue, but I digress.

Maptool is a very solid choice - lots of power, use the same program to create, save, and play on maps, a fairly deep library of resources, and Tokentool, which makes a token out of any random picture to drop into it. You'll need to host it, though.

Anyone want to weigh in on FantasyGrounds? I hear good things, but have no direct experience.

Dunsparce
2015-07-09, 06:21 PM
Okay I tried it out and its almost exactly like OpenRPG in terms of layout and function, I would've rather continued using OpenRPG, but since that's not an option this is the next best thing.

1337 b4k4
2015-07-09, 10:37 PM
You could also try gametable (http://sourceforge.net/projects/gametableproj/). Not as powerful as maptool, but also easier to use if all you're looking to do is make a virtual playing surface.