PDA

View Full Version : The Best Videogame Ending Sequence

Krade
2007-04-30, 12:17 PM
Ok, so I beat Final Fantasy VI again yesterday and I realized something, the ending is so good that it still manages to evoke an emotional response from me, even though I've seen it at least a couple dozen times.

So, this thread is about all those games that really paid off with the ending. Obviously, my vote goes to FFVI.

Pronounceable
2007-04-30, 12:58 PM
Planescape Torment. Nothing can possibly beat it.

Jibar
2007-04-30, 02:32 PM
Warcraft III: Frozen Throne.
Having that as my ending movie, something that monumental, was amazing. Screw happy endings, this was the worst ending ever. It was beautiful.

Tom_Violence
2007-04-30, 02:58 PM
Planescape certainly wasn't the first thing that leaped to my mind. Great game, and a damn fine ending to say the least, but not one of the greatest ever in my opinion. Maybe that's just because whenever I think of the game what comes to mind is the whole game that leads up to the ending. :tongue: I kinda think that a lot of games are like that - take KotOR for one. Has amazing moments in it that really stand out for me and that I will always remember, but the ending certainly isn't one of them.

One of my personal favourites would be Fallout, I reckon, especially if played as a bad guy. I'd hate to spoil it for those that haven't seen it, but those that have will know what I mean. Also, the end of Legacy of Kain: Defiance was immensely satisfying, not least of all because it had taken storming through 5 whole games to get to that point of resolution.

Driderman
2007-04-30, 03:02 PM
Are we talking Fallout I or II here?

My vote goes for Planescape:Torment as well. Effin' brilliant game with a proper epic and emotional ending.

averagejoe
2007-04-30, 03:03 PM
I've always had a soft spot for the BGII ending, just because I though it was funny when Irenicus got face-tackled off the cliff and all those slayers went after him. Waaay overkill. And hilarious.

Jacob_Gallagher
2007-04-30, 03:12 PM
Here is a link to the best ending ever:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0YLMk1E41kE

System Shock 2 FTW!

Drascin
2007-04-30, 03:14 PM
I'm with the OP. FFVI for the win - best FF ever. Though, people keep speaking so much of this "Planescape: Torment" I can't help but feel it has to be some mighty good game. Hum. Let me scrounge around for a copy and I'll come back to you (it's not like these games last me much anyway :smallwink:)

Driderman
2007-04-30, 03:28 PM
I'm with the OP. FFVI for the win - best FF ever. Though, people keep speaking so much of this "Planescape: Torment" I can't help but feel it has to be some mighty good game. Hum. Let me scrounge around for a copy and I'll come back to you (it's not like these games last me much anyway :smallwink:)

If you haven't played this game, I definitely recommend a playthrough or 10, even though is about 8 years old now...

Dragor
2007-04-30, 04:02 PM
Ending to Zelda: Ocarina of Time. It invoked tears.

Tom_Violence
2007-04-30, 04:24 PM
Are we talking Fallout I or II here?

The first one, certainly.

Driderman
2007-04-30, 04:32 PM
Hm... I thought Fallout II was a lot better. Of course, I can't remember if Fallout I also has the ending where you get told what happened to the different places you visited due to whatever actions you took while there

RandomNPC
2007-04-30, 04:35 PM
i like the origonal final fantasy.

i don't wana ruin the ending, so i'll stop here.

Isak
2007-04-30, 05:13 PM
I personally liked Kingdom Hearts 2's ending. Very nice.

Final Fantasy 7's was... alright. Definitely an amazing game, but not what I expected.

The Warcraft 3 ending (RoC and TFT) were excellent.

All KOTOR endings were awesome. (Kotor1 Good & Evil, Kotor 2 Good & Evil)

Jade Empire's endings were amazing.

And Finally, All of the Dawn of War game endings :smallwink:

Setra
2007-04-30, 05:15 PM
Either FFVI, Shadow Hearts, or Xenogears...

Hard to choose.

Dhavaer
2007-04-30, 05:19 PM
Deus Ex, the Helios ending "There are many still in darkness who must be shown the light, for it is the dawning of a new day."

or Morrowind "Come now, take this thing from the hand of God."

or Diablo 2. More or less any cutscene in Diablo 2, actually.

Om
2007-04-30, 05:40 PM
I liked BGII's ending ("Everything I have done... for this") but it probably wasn't as good as Sarevok's decomposing corpse from BGI. Other RPG endings that were good include Planescape, Arcanum (the evil one) and both Fallouts.

Edit: You've also gotta love the Voltaire quote from one of the Deus Ex endings

Scudboy
2007-04-30, 08:50 PM
The Star Control II ending is only okay, but the StarCon II closing credits are the best thing ever.

Cybren
2007-04-30, 09:08 PM
Any of the Deus Ex endings

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-04-30, 09:30 PM
My tops best ending secquences list (in no particular order)

Final Fantasy (the original).

FF VI. Particularly if you unlock all the little extras. The music score for the ending scene of VI is just... wow

Chrono Trigger. There's like 12 endings. I've managed to unlock them all. Wow.

Zelda: Windwaker. I'm going to Spoiler this one.
The King of Hyrule sacrifices himself and his land for the future... how much more touching can ya get? Plus... sailing off in a pirate ship to form a new land. Optimistic, no?

There's got to be more, but I can't think of any offhand...

Gungnir
2007-04-30, 09:49 PM
God of War.

Seriously, wicked GoW spoiler.I mean, you go through the entire game knowing that Kratos kills himself, and then you get to the end, and BAM! Athena says no. Awesome. Not to mention the sh!t Ares puts Kratos through at the end.

Amotis
2007-04-30, 09:52 PM
FF7...with the rumble controller.

It was like 2am and I couldn't stop laughing.

Mr._Blinky
2007-04-30, 10:26 PM
I agree that the end of Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne was truly amazing. The end of Starcraft: Broodwars kicks major ass too.

Other ones include the end of Icewind Dale I. Just something about that last shot where you find out that the main villain has been the narrator the whole time is filled with awesome.

Ninja Gaiden has a pretty sweet ending too.

Half-life 2 has an awesome ending with the G-Man.

Kojiro Kakita
2007-04-30, 10:34 PM
Hmm, best ending in my opinion is Diablo II. Although, I now have to say the PS2 Port of Fate/Stay Night and Air had fairly good endings. (Yes the non-adult one, I am still a kid).

Setra
2007-04-30, 10:44 PM
Half-life 2 has an awesome ending with the G-Man.
I find.. that whenever I see the G-Man, I tend to be dissapointed.

In other words... what I mean to say is, I highly dislike the ending.

On another note, FFTs ending was good, the shock value ofDelita being killedmade it highly memorable.

I think I'll decide between FFVI and Xenogears for my favorite, after replaying Xenogears (Still on the first disk :smalleek: )

lumberofdabeast
2007-04-30, 10:50 PM
Secret of Mana. That was the best plot ever, with a truly fantastic ending. No game since then has managed to evoke as much emotion from me as that did.

Cybren
2007-04-30, 10:59 PM
On the notion of FFT:
I don't think Delita died. I mean I don't remember seeing him die...

Beleriphon
2007-04-30, 10:59 PM
I'm definately throwing down for Torment as well. If you played it as a good character you realize by the end that the Nameless One's place in the afterlife is rightly deserved. If you play it as a bad guy, its just one more obstacle on your path to multiversal take over.

Setra
2007-04-30, 11:00 PM
On the notion of FFT:
I don't think Delita died. I mean I don't remember seeing him die...
Well if I remember correctly.. Ovelia(sp?) stabs him, and he ends up slumped over or something. I know for a fact he is stabbed, and that usually ends in death in a cutscene

Edit!

Ah, forgive me, I checked Wikipedia, and as it turns out he may not have died, but he did get stabbed. Then killed Ovelia. Though he 'could' be dead

In the final scene in Final Fantasy Tactics, at some unspecified time after Delita's coronation, Ovelia assaults Delita as he offers her flowers, confronting him about manipulating Ramza & others. Delita responds by killing her with a dagger. As he staggers away from Ovelia's body, Delita asks, "Ramza.... What did you get? I.........".

Samurai General
2007-04-30, 11:11 PM
please could you post videos????

Maldraugedhen
2007-04-30, 11:18 PM
There was something about the final cutscene to Freespace that was just... thoroughly satisfying. Both the final 'philosophical' one and the 'blow gigantic stuff up in impossible ways' one. I think the second ran into the first.

Krade
2007-05-01, 12:11 AM
The FFVI ending comes in 4 parts on YouTube. Each one is 8-10 minutes long.

Part 1:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ecuW1uCi5U8
Part 2:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=xld0vsX9ynM
Part 3:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=MMLuSt6RciU
Part 4:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=HZi2rNwStvk

I didn't watch any of them because I have a crappy internet connection and it would take something like a full day to see them all. I think all the best bits are in Parts 2 & 3. Part 1 says it's just the first part of the last battle, and part 4 is the credits sequence.

Jacob_Gallagher
2007-05-01, 05:10 AM
I already posted a link to System Shock 2 on the first page...

I agree with Freespace. Good game, good ending.

Om
2007-05-01, 05:29 AM
Hmmm after seeing the BGII ending (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf9kleGOupc) it seems I got the quote wrong. "To end like this". Excellently enough the BGI ending (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kxKZwzhzOA) is also up. Here's all three Deus Ex endings (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N69GX988WwE)

Morty
2007-05-01, 05:56 AM
Planescape:Torment, hands down. Nothing else to say.

Archonic Energy
2007-05-01, 06:19 AM
Planescape:Torment, hands down. Nothing else to say.
been waiting too long to be able to say "QFT"

Edit:

Planescape Torment. Nothing can possibly beat it.
oops... need my eyes checking!

Om
2007-05-01, 07:04 AM
Due to popular demand: Planescape (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRidpOpQfPk)

Archonic Energy
2007-05-01, 07:06 AM
due to absolutely no demand:

Master of Orion II: Battle at Anteres (http://tinyurl.com/29qtuc)

*reminises*

Pronounceable
2007-05-01, 07:14 AM
Back for honorary mentions:

Baldur's Gate 1: "Hey, the dude's disintegrating! Cool! Oh, look at them shiny dust go! I wonder where all this golden dust is goi-*! OH SH*T!"

Baldur's Gate 2: Irenicus+hordes of slayers=satisfaction

Fallout: "Hey, thanks for saving us. But sorry, you're too different, we can't accept you back. Bye!" Make sure you are unarmed before the ending conversation for much hillarity.

Prince of Persia, Sands of Time: I was going to quote that last comment, but I can't write "Kakelukia". Or whatever it is. Farah's reaction makes one all warm and fuzzy.

Prince of Persia, Two Thrones: I love that sneaky bastard's desperate screams for attention as I leave him behind. Very, very nice.

Dawn of War: A very impressive display of fireworks with a nice bit of plot twist.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-01, 07:44 AM
Warcraft III: Frozen Throne.
Having that as my ending movie, something that monumental, was amazing. Screw happy endings, this was the worst ending ever. It was beautiful.

To tell the truth it was a rip off of the Brood War ending. Still I'm probably going to vote for it anyway.

Alex Kidd
2007-05-01, 09:02 AM
MGS3 always gets to me, and cause I'm a softie it wins. THE BOSS *salutes*

Yeah not MM or Metroid, suprising huh?

Krade
2007-05-01, 12:21 PM
Everyone keeps saying it was so good, but seriously, I've never heard of this Planescape everyone keeps talking about. Is it for Playstation, PC, XBOX? What? I want to check it out now.

ZebulonCrispi
2007-05-01, 01:39 PM
Shadow of the Collossus, Final Fantasy XII, Super Mario Bros. 1.

I can defend all three of these at length, if necessary.

EDIT: Also Zone of the Enders 2.

tonberryking
2007-05-01, 02:29 PM
Disgaea 2: Hour of Darkness and Final Fantasy IX are the two that most immediately spring to mind, however let's not forget the sad but heartwarming Bad Ending of Lunar 2: Eternal Blue. I still need to try to get the other ending after that one but damn was it moving.

Krade
2007-05-01, 02:52 PM
Shadow of the Collossus, Final Fantasy XII, Super Mario Bros. 1.

I can defend all three of these at length, if necessary.

EDIT: Also Zone of the Enders 2.
How could you say FFXII? I would almost be willing to start a counter thread to this about WORST ending sequences with FFXII as may main point. 100+ hours of gameplay left me seriously wanting more... a LOT more.

Abacab
2007-05-01, 02:56 PM
I can only say FFVI because I've seen about six other game endings in my life.

There's no really memorable scene in that ending. Nobody gets stabbed unexpectedly, and no one sacrifices their life. I think it's the one of the few FFs that the ending didn't leave me asking, "Can I have another explanation about the whole ending of the game?" (*coughFF7,FF8,FF10cough*). Also, in each part, the writers took a part of each character's life or personality and somehow intertwined it with the escape from the tower. It was brillant.

And it doesn't hurt that the music was one of Uematsu's greatest pieces.

Tom_Violence
2007-05-01, 05:16 PM
Everyone keeps saying it was so good, but seriously, I've never heard of this Planescape everyone keeps talking about. Is it for Playstation, PC, XBOX? What? I want to check it out now.

PC. Everyone must play it to experience how NPCs can actually be incorporated into an RPG.

Setra
2007-05-01, 07:58 PM
Disgaea 2: Hour of Darkness and Final Fantasy IX are the two that most immediately spring to mind, however let's not forget the sad but heartwarming Bad Ending of Lunar 2: Eternal Blue. I still need to try to get the other ending after that one but damn was it moving.
Having beaten both of those recently, I can say that I don't really get why.

They were alright (IX was a bit more than Alright), but even the Original Disgaea wipes out both of those endings.

Mr._Blinky
2007-05-01, 08:20 PM
Warcraft III: Frozen Throne. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW02BWFRnkw)

Daze
2007-05-01, 08:35 PM
Certainly not FFXII... ugh.... I was so ticked off when I finished that.

I'll second Planescape..

MGS3 is also worthy of a mention... that whole game was very satisfying actually.

ZebulonCrispi
2007-05-02, 12:34 AM
My thoughts on FFXII:

Were you disappointed by the final boss? So was I. That's not the point, though.
The final battle is not the climax of FFXII.
The climax is at the top of the final dungeon, before the battle with Cid. Ashe confronting her inner demons, making the right choice when it really matters after an entire story spend misguided. That cinematic is the climactic scene of FFXII.
Everything after that, from the Cid fight to the final showdown with The Undying to the ending credits, is not meant to be the height of the game. It's the denoument. It's less like Samus fighting Mother Brain and more like the escape sequence that follows. It's everyone working together to escape Kefka's Tower in FFVI. The entire slog through the Bahamut, all three battles with Vayne, all too easy, all beautifully choreographed but requiring no real effort on the part of the player. The game is taking you by the hand at this point, because it wants you to see what it has to offer, without distracting you with an endless gauntlet of challenging battles. FFXII is, more than any other Final Fantasy besides maybe FFVI, about its story rather than its gameplay.

That's how I see it, at least. I still think FFVI is better, but hey.

Krade
2007-05-02, 01:05 AM
I had a response all typed out, but I noticed that that is always a great time for some sort of service interuption. Anyway, here's the short version.

Leading by the hand = bad. Ending sequence is NOT anywhere you can control the character. Big Badass Last Boss is supposed to be hard AND cool looking. I want challenging, and the end did NOT deliver. Nor did it deliver satisfactory resolution, but that's probably because the way the story lead up to the ending, there wasn't much to do in the way of a truly satisfying final FMV (like the opening, but that was too long, a topic for another time).

If you want more I'll do more... tomorrow or so, I don't feel like typing into the detail I had before it all got erased right now.

ZebulonCrispi
2007-05-02, 01:15 AM
I don't want to argues this. FFXII does something different, and I liked it, and you didn't. There's nothing to debate.

Icewalker
2007-05-02, 01:42 AM
DIABLO II LOD

TYRAEL!!!! He's such a badass, with big transluscent glowy wings and an awesome semi-transparent glowy golden longsword in a sheath at his waist...then he hurls it into the Worldstone, and it explodes. Awesome sequence.

Devil May Cry 3 has a good ending.

All the Ratchet and Clank games pulled off excellent plots, and had good (but not amazingly good) endings.

So what if it isn't a game, the climactic ending of the final battle scene in the first Pirates of the Carribean movie was probably the coolest ending to anything ever...

The one with the shot, the coins, and Barbosa dropping the apple...symbolic...

BrokenButterfly
2007-05-02, 04:13 AM
Absolutely nowhere near finishing FFXII (only just at the 40 hour mark myself) so I can't comment on it.

But my favourite two ending movies to games were for Ocarina of Time and Shadow of the Colossus. Physical tears. I was a lot younger when it came to OoT, but SotC is just so beautiful.

Maldraugedhen
2007-05-02, 10:33 AM
I did get a bit choked up about SotC, but I really hated just how screwed over Wander gets. Then again, the whole game seems to be about 'this is why you never say "at any cost"', so it fit.

Ocarina of Time, stepping away from the Master Sword, was the absolute best thing I thought possible for the ending. It's a choice on Link's part, not to abandon Hyrule, as Wind Waker suggests, but to begin a new wandering life, and live the seven years he continually glossed over by bouncing back and forth in time.

I'm a big fan of the original Gothic, buggy as it was. The ending was good enough that it could have stood alone as its own game, but they put enough effort into the backstory that it was obvious they were going for a series. Being trapped under the rubble of the Sleeper's collapsing temple, a nameless hero who fought for the freedom of many men, most of which probably did not deserve it, your deeds unknown to all but three, yourself and the Sleeper included. That kind of martyrdom ending could have fit very well, and the sequel could have instead followed Diego, or Milten, or Gorn... Hell, ANY of the old squad.

EricDerKonig
2007-05-02, 10:56 AM
I can only say FFVI because I've seen about six other game endings in my life.

There's no really memorable scene in that ending. Nobody gets stabbed unexpectedly, and no one sacrifices their life. I think it's the one of the few FFs that the ending didn't leave me asking, "Can I have another explanation about the whole ending of the game?" (*coughFF7,FF8,FF10cough*). Also, in each part, the writers took a part of each character's life or personality and somehow intertwined it with the escape from the tower. It was brillant.

And it doesn't hurt that the music was one of Uematsu's greatest pieces.

And the way the score adapts each character's leitmotif... definitely one of the best video game endings.

I'll have to try playing it through one day without getting all the characters, just to see how the ending changes.
Especially Edgar's if you never get Sabin in the World of Ruin

Deepblue706
2007-05-02, 12:17 PM
My vote goes for Deus Ex.

And...please, stop talking about FFXII. For me, the pain of playing 40 hours and finding nothing but side-quests and an overall 5 minutes of meaningful dialogue is still too near. I so desperately played in search of a storyline, and when it never came, I was devastated. Even more so when I found out (spoiler): THAT PENELO NARRATES THE DAMN ENDING! SHE SUCKED! I HATED HER! WHY WAS SHE EVEN THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE!?

Vaan sucked too.

And they shouldn't have killed-off Vossler so early. And there should have been more stuff with Gabranth. Also, this game made Ultros into a Flan. If I want Ultros (or Orthros) in a game, he better damn be an EVIL OCTOPUS KING!

The game would have been a lot better if it was about Basch, or something. Basch was cool. He was the only well-made character, though.

Yes, I said that. Balthier was lame. He could have been cool, but unfortunately the writers for 12 don't know crap about writing, and quickly made him boring (for me, anyway).

Talanic
2007-05-02, 12:34 PM
As I recall, in FF6 you have no choice but to get Sabin. The game forces you to reacquire him a little ways into the World of Ruin.

Krade
2007-05-02, 12:48 PM
And the way the score adapts each character's leitmotif... definitely one of the best video game endings.

I'll have to try playing it through one day without getting all the characters, just to see how the ending changes.
Especially Edgar's if you never get Sabin in the World of Ruin
I've been meaning to do that to, I mean, What would happen in Celes' ending if you didn't get Locke?
I doubt it, but she might actually die if it happens the same way without Locke
Or what would happen at all if you didn't get Terra? I REALLY want to find that out, but so far haven't really gotten the motivation to do it. Come to think of it, what about Relm's without Strago?

I can't believe that of all the times I've beaten this game the only characters I ever beat it without are Gogo, Umaro, or Shadow (because that was before I found out he didn't HAVE to die), and they aren't plot central characters, so it didn't change the ending at all.

So, the only people that might change the ending if you don't get them are:
Sabin
Terra
Locke
Strago (Only if you have Relm and NOT Strago)

I think I'll try this next time I play through. It might be hard because I always use Sabin and Terra. I could really live without Locke or Strago. Though without Locke, you can't get Ulltima, GAH! It keeps going on and on.

And to ZebulonCrispi: I was so upset that I had to type that all out again, I left out the first thing I said in it: I see what you mean, but I still didn't like it. There, I said it now, so let there be no misunderstanding, okay? Good.

Edit:

As I recall, in FF6 you have no choice but to get Sabin. The game forces you to reacquire him a little ways into the World of Ruin.
There's nothing stopping you from bybasing Tzen and going straight to Nikeah (where you find Edgar). If you pay attention to the dialog when he finally stops pretending to be someone else, he only refers to Celes by name (and seeing as how Sabin is his TWIN BROTHER, I think that if it were absolutely necesary that you get Sabin, he would've said something to him).

It doesn't take much to see all that. It happens every time you get someone else after Edgar. It doesn't say who in your current party is talking, and the person you are reacquiring doesn't say any names either.

Abacab
2007-05-02, 01:38 PM
I've been meaning to do that to, I mean, What would happen in Celes' ending if you didn't get Locke?
I doubt it, but she might actually die if it happens the same way without Locke
Or what would happen at all if you didn't get Terra? I REALLY want to find that out, but so far haven't really gotten the motivation to do it. Come to think of it, what about Relm's without Strago?

In Celes' ending without Locke,
Setzer saves her instead. She walks away proclaiming that she will go find Locke and Setzer says something like, "Well, I need to see you preforming in that opera one more time".
(I really want to see that ending, but when I attempted the CES challenge, it froze :smallfrown:.)

If you don't get Terra, before Dancing Mad starts, it'll show her coming out of the house in Mobliz and she will then say, "They're all calling me." and go into her other form. After the battle (in the cutscene before the character endings) she will meet up with the party.

I'm not too sure about Relm's single ending, tho.

Sephiroth
2007-05-02, 02:54 PM
dawn of war ff7 ff12 (i have seen it on youtube) errr BG2 BG2 thornd of bhaal and KOTOR 1 and 2 i just love them games anyway how do you think that LOZOOT is the best ending ethir tho i foget what happen

Krade
2007-05-02, 07:56 PM
In Celes' ending without Locke,
Setzer saves her instead. She walks away proclaiming that she will go find Locke and Setzer says something like, "Well, I need to see you preforming in that opera one more time".
(I really want to see that ending, but when I attempted the CES challenge, it froze :smallfrown:.)

If you don't get Terra, before Dancing Mad starts, it'll show her coming out of the house in Mobliz and she will then say, "They're all calling me." and go into her other form. After the battle (in the cutscene before the character endings) she will meet up with the party.

I'm not too sure about Relm's single ending, tho.I assume by "CES Challenge" you mean beating the game with only Celes, Edgar, and Setzer?
So even if you don't get Terra, she still shows up. Ok, I can live with that. Another question, do you get her for the battle or is she jut there for the ending? Ok so you actually said what happened and I wasn't paying attention.

Also, do you know of Edgar's without Sabin?

I'm going to do this then. I am going to beat the game with 3 characters. I might not get around to it until the end of summer, but I'll do it.

... and I'll find a way to post it on YouTube so everyone can see it.

Edit (totally NOT trying to be creepy): I find myself attracted to your wealth of knowledge regarding FFVI.

Abacab
2007-05-02, 09:08 PM
Well, I'm happy to know my knowledge is useful. :smallsmile: I may sound like one of those gamers that have been playing it since 1994, but I only got hooked on the anthology version last year.

The ending without Sabin is nothing special. Edgar is almost killed by a beam, but saves himself (darn, so close) and asks, "Where is my brother where you need him?" And lets the ladies go through first.

About the CES challenge
The CES challenge is not that difficult. The key is to leveling up Celes before or during the floating continent (and you may want to learn all of the possible spells), so when you get to the WOR, she can survive on her own. To make it easy leveling-wise, get her over-leveled because when you meet Edgar, he'll be at the same level as Celes. Setzer will have the average of their levels when you see him. Just PM if you need more tips, 'cause they are reserved in the back of my mind.

EricDerKonig
2007-05-03, 02:11 AM
I've been planning on playing through the first half of FFVI without any espers, then doing CES for the second half. If I get around to it, I'll bend the rules a bit and pick up Relm, just to see how her ending turns out.

Jothki
2007-05-03, 02:18 AM
Agreed on the ending to FFIX. It gets even better if you realize that Vivi is most likely dead.

Cubey
2007-05-03, 05:01 AM
Agreed on the ending to FFIX. It gets even better if you realize that Vivi is most likely dead.

That's supposed to make this ending good?

Vivi is awesome. Probably, no - definately the best FF IX character. The thought that he might be dead, probably from old age (as Black Mages have short lifespans), is rather depressing.:smallfrown:

Krade
2007-05-03, 11:47 AM
To be fair, they weren't sure on Vivi's lifespan because he was the prototype, he might not have even HAD an expiration date. Though the fact that he doesn't appear in the final cutscene at all does provide pretty good evidence that he was dead. But really, where the hell did all those little Vivis come from? There's something that needed more explaining.

Blue Paladin
2007-05-03, 12:05 PM
...Edgar's [ending] without Sabin?The beam falls and Celes, Setzer, Edgar dodge back. All three of them have to work together to shove the beam out of the way, as Edgar says, "Where's Sabin when you need him?"

Celes' ending without Locke: Celes drops the bandanna and runs back for it. The floor collapses beneath her and she jumps. Setzer slides along the floor and catches her hand saying, "You can't fall! You need to do your Maria impression for me again!" or similar.

Relm's ending without Strago: Relm "runs" down the (wrong-way) escalator, essentially running in place. Celes, Edgar and Setzer individually run past her (knocking her down, and making her lose ground against the escalator). Relm gets upset each time.

I think that's all the changed endings. I really need to find that tape...

Inigo_Carmine
2007-05-03, 12:21 PM
Most of my favorites have already been mentioned, so some more to toss into the mix:

Soul Reaver 2: I consider the last 3 fights to be part of the ending sequence since you're invincible in those. The end raises more questions, but the entire last chapter brings so many things into focus that had been set up in the Soul Reaver 1.

Kain from Soul Reaver 1: "You may have uncovered your past Raziel, but you know nothing of it."

Well he sure as hell does now. Plus, that last kill was extremely satisfying, and the irony and symbolism is too good not to love.

And because it needs more praise, Metal Gear Solid 3 needs to be brought up again. It takes a damn good game to make you sympathize with the legnedary villain from the Metal Gear series, and that ending ties everyhting up.

Hehe, who knows. Maybe I just have a soft spot for games that make you realize the "bad guy" isn't necessarily a bad guy.

Shinfai
2007-05-04, 07:16 PM
I know its halfway through a game (kinda) but i love the Halo 2 ending, (yeah yeah, call me a fan boy, I care not). Also I count the last cut scene of High Charity, one half of the neding, and the cut scene at the end of The Great Journey the other half.

They are on High Charity, and the end of High Charity (having to leave courtana there), and MC (master Chief) says "look, when all this is over ..." and Courtana interupts him saying "don't make a girl a promise you can't keep" at which point he stops and dives into the ship throughthe power conduit.

Then at the very end, you hear the transmission of the captain ordering the destruction of the ship MC is on, he pipes up and says "this is spartan 117" the captian replies "master chief, mind tellin' me what you're doing on that ship?" Mc's answer "sir, finishing this fight"

It gets me everytime, its just RA!

Also Half life 2 is an awesome ending sequence .. although no wholly understandable ...

Snipers_Promise
2007-05-04, 07:32 PM
I liked the first Call of Duty ending and the Gears of war ending was pretty good.

hanzo66
2007-05-05, 04:34 AM
God of War II ending. Basically it's what Kratos does to beat Zeus.

Sephiroth
2007-05-05, 06:03 AM
you didn't put SPOILER
(i don't do it becasue i don't know how to do it)
mostly it going to be nearly all of the RPG games that going to have it so that my view all rpg that i played

Krade
2007-05-05, 09:37 AM
I don't consider that a spoiler.

You know that the point of the game is to smack down Zues within 30 minutes of playing. That post just confirms that you succeed (which, really, there aren't many games where you DON'T succeed). It doesn't say how it's done, which is the main point.

Truthseeker
2007-05-05, 10:42 AM
Freespace 2. The music really enhances the spooky, unholy majesty of the Shivan ships. And the whole thing is a little unusual in that you probably died fighting tooth and nail to save as many civilian lives as possible against crushing odds as an unfathomably alien species works to exterminate them. The stress of the final mission adds to the emotion of the ending video, and it does it so well that I got a little choked up just reviewing the scene on YouTube. ;)

Part One. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qiWAgQeAVY)
Part Two. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y21yeCnzKcw)

The fact that we never really knew why the Shivans were doing what they did just made them more believable to me, I think. Really reinforcing the definition of the word alien as something completely foreign and unknown, not guys tooling around speaking perfect English but with some bumps on their noses

Tekar
2007-05-05, 11:17 AM
Planescape: Torment!

The ending made me sad for two reasons:
- It was just a sad ending.
- I realised I had come to the ending of the best game I had ever played (and probably would play)

Tengu
2007-05-05, 12:07 PM
What makes the ending of Planescape: Torment so good in my book is not what actually happens, but the conversation TNO has with the other party members beforehand.

Though FF6 still beats it.

Now, if this topic was named "awesome videogame ending sequences", I'd make a very long list... I'm a sucker for great endings to equally great stories.

Sephiroth
2007-05-05, 12:29 PM
oh i thought is was a spoiler becasue it just spoil god of war now for me

Jibar
2007-05-05, 12:50 PM
(yeah yeah, call me a fan boy, I care not)

You really took that to heart didn't you?

And yes, Soul Reaver 2 has an amazing ending. Which reminds me, I was gonna go retro and hunt down the first Soul Reaver...

Arbitrarity
2007-05-05, 01:01 PM
Freespace!

SCP FTW :P.

hanzo66
2007-05-05, 01:19 PM
Well...

A true spoiler would be like this: Kratos tells Giant Zeus that he gives up fighting, then thrusts the Sword of Olympus to the ground and gets to his knees, asking Zeus to "End his torment". Zeus goes into human size, takes the sword and swings it down on him, but Kratos blocks the sword at the last moment with his Golden Fleece and lays down a savage smackdown on him that ends with Kratos ramming the sword into Zeus' gut like crazy. Athena comes by and stops you, Zeus gets away and Kratos accidentally kill Athena while trying to go after Zeus. After she dies, he basically says that he may as well take out Olympus itself. He goes back in time all the way to the Titan War, tells the Titans to follow him and basically launches a siege on Olympus with the Titans backing him up...

Sephiroth
2007-05-05, 02:44 PM
there you go that is how you do it not wreaking my chance to like the game (i never like it anyway )

Shinfai
2007-05-05, 02:46 PM
You really took that to heart didn't you?

not really, well kinda, its just that all my post (more or less) on the forum have been about Halo 2, and that if you read it, it would confirm what you said. :smalltongue:

but I did not really take it to heart .. I just like the game ... lots :smalltongue:

Krade
2007-05-05, 03:09 PM
Well...

A true spoiler would be like this: Kratos tells Giant Zeus that he gives up fighting, then thrusts the Sword of Olympus to the ground and gets to his knees, asking Zeus to "End his torment". Zeus goes into human size, takes the sword and swings it down on him, but Kratos blocks the sword at the last moment with his Golden Fleece and lays down a savage smackdown on him that ends with Kratos ramming the sword into Zeus' gut like crazy. Athena comes by and stops you, Zeus gets away and Kratos accidentally kill Athena while trying to go after Zeus. After she dies, he basically says that he may as well take out Olympus itself. He goes back in time all the way to the Titan War, tells the Titans to follow him and basically launches a siege on Olympus with the Titans backing him up...

That there is a proper spoiler. No mistake about it. The only person you can blame is yourself for pressing the button.

thorgrim29
2007-05-05, 04:25 PM
Gears of war, DOA4 (mainly for the kickass soundtrack), starcraft (especially if you read liberty's crusade, awesome book), diablo 2....

Hoggy
2007-05-05, 07:15 PM
I'd second Freespace 2 (minor, obscure pun not intended). I'm a sucker for martyrs, and I was one of those who didn't even try and escape...

...Well, okay, the first time a stayed and fought just because I wanted to kill things. I thought I'd failed the mission, but meh. Just one fo them moods. :smalltongue:

Maldraugedhen
2007-05-06, 11:44 PM
Dammit, I need to find m'self a copy of FS2. Badly.

Corncracker
2007-05-06, 11:57 PM
I'm definately saying Xenosaga Episode III. An amazing ending to my favorite game series.

Documn
2007-05-07, 12:17 AM
As far as kiddie games go, I'd say Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

hanzo66
2007-05-07, 10:21 AM
Another excellent ending sequence is Okami. I'm not going to say much about it, but I will say the last cutscenes are some of the most touching I've seen.

Ebon_Drake
2007-05-07, 11:09 AM
Four words, my friends:
Zangief dancing with Gorbachev.
Nothing beats that.

On a more serious note, I rather enjoyed the Dark side ending for Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight.