PDA

View Full Version : DM Helper

FightStyles
2015-07-09, 12:38 PM
I created a DM helper for up to 5 PC's. It's mostly useful to help keep track of HP, Spell slots used, and features per short or long rests. Just thought some of you might find it useful.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1inkX7aNFevPtkM4nLyvP-_a5hR365kwNr38Ov_ZL0as/edit?usp=sharing

Enjoy!

Kurt Kurageous
2015-07-14, 07:07 PM
I discovered a need for something like this on my own. I like yours a lot, as the players can fill it out on their own, unlike mine which I have to do. I'm probably going to adopt yours for that reason.

Mine is an excel spreadsheet that has the following fields. The sheet holds up to six PCs listed in passive initiative order.

RACE, LANGUAGES NAME/CLASS/LEVEL
WEAP#1 To hit+ DMG Dice+ DMG Type Armor, Type Shield (Y/N/M) AC Max HP
Left:
PASSIVE INIT (10+DX) SPC Resists?
PASSIVE PERCEP (10+WZ) WEAP#2 To hit+ DMG Dice+ DMG Type Immunes?
PASSIVE INVESTIGATE (10+IQ) Advantage vs?
PASSIVE STEALTH (10+DX) SPC STR BONUS

Slarg
2015-07-14, 07:14 PM
Bookmarked, thanks :D

Celcey
2015-07-14, 09:06 PM
Holy cow, that's fantastic! Thank you so much!

PotatoGolem
2015-07-14, 10:16 PM
Awesome, thanks!

FightStyles
2015-07-15, 10:36 AM
Well, you are all welcome. I also wanted to share how I use the features and traits section at the bottom because I feel it's the most useful. This example is the DM helper I am currently using.
The (l) and (s) are short or long rests. (I didn't put both (l) and (s) because I don't think there are abilities that only recover per short rest but not long).
The Spells show what levels they have available along with spell slots and spaces to tally how many they have used.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_iij-ywR2xpbjhwY3p1Uk1LdFE/view?usp=sharing

Kurt Kurageous
2015-07-15, 09:33 PM
I have found listing PC languages spoken/written is helpful in figuring out who can understand what when.

The mud mephitis are griping, but can you understand what they are complaining about? The orc yells its battle cry, "Might of Grummish Crushes Youuuuuu!" that you hears as five short sounds followed by a long high keening growl. Dwarvish runes say, "This hallway declared unstable by Master Mason Stormshield two fortnights after the equinox of the fifth year of the reign of Eldreth the Unready."

Makes those who know more than common feel useful.

Astovidas
2015-07-16, 03:33 AM
Thanks a lot for your DM Helper!

Sorry I have to ask this and I feel really stupid... :smallredface: but how do you fill it out?

It isn't form fillable or anything.. do you just put a Text Box in front of it?
Thanks again for your help in any case!

FightStyles
2015-07-16, 07:45 AM
I have found listing PC languages spoken/written is helpful in figuring out who can understand what when.

The mud mephitis are griping, but can you understand what they are complaining about? The orc yells its battle cry, "Might of Grummish Crushes Youuuuuu!" that you hears as five short sounds followed by a long high keening growl. Dwarvish runes say, "This hallway declared unstable by Master Mason Stormshield two fortnights after the equinox of the fifth year of the reign of Eldreth the Unready."

Makes those who know more than common feel useful.

This would make for a good addition to the DM Helper. I have additional space in the word doc that I could probably utilize for this; however, I don't think the google docs version will allow it to be added easily.

Thanks a lot for your DM Helper!

Sorry I have to ask this and I feel really stupid... :smallredface: but how do you fill it out?

It isn't form fillable or anything.. do you just put a Text Box in front of it?
Thanks again for your help in any case!

I just put text boxes in front, I wanted to do form fillable (and I do in my word version) however I'm not great with google docs just yet and couldn't figure out text boxes. If you'd like, you can PM me and I could email you a version with the text boxes already filled out.

Or, you can just write it in? It's sloppy but effective. haha

Kurt Kurageous
2015-07-16, 08:26 AM
but how do you fill it out?

If you mean on computer, that's another story.

The primary benefit is to the DM who passes it to the players and THEY fill it out while the DM is describing the general situation at the start of play, and then has a great tool to speed up play by not having to ask "What's your AC, passive perception, insight, persuasion, CON, etc."

IMHO, the genius of Fightstyles' sheet is that a player can fill it out because the fields look like the ones on their sheet. This means the DM doesn't have to!

Like I said, I already developed a similar tool, but I had to fill it out. After looking at this one, I scrapped it and went in this direction. I use abilities a(mostly passive) a lot looks more than track how many times per day they can cast, so I replaced the open block with the stats and skills list that the players can copy down and fill out.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzHVsiBMMb98VDZfd3hnR2Q3M2s/view?usp=sharing

Let me know what you think.

Kurt Kurageous
2015-07-16, 08:32 AM
BTW this is my original. It's good, Fightsytles is better.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzHVsiBMMb98T2I5SHRWV01RbG8/view?usp=sharing

Please keep the feedback and ideas coming.

Other things I wish I had room for would include a list of PC resistances, immunities, and a space to indicate darkvision. I think I might be able to drop a text block next to race for this.

FightStyles
2015-07-16, 10:30 AM
Let me know what you think.

I like it and I'm glad I've inspired you. A DM helper is suppose to help the DM with their group. So different kinds of players require different kinds of helpers. I created the sheet with the idea that anything the players roll they should be able to add the appropiate modifier accordingly. I do like the passive skills idea but more for the fact that you have the skills in front of you. However, I also have the DM screen by WOTC even though that's really the only good use for it and the very rare hidden roll.