PDA

View Full Version : Alchemy, poisons, and explosives.

ruy343
2015-07-09, 03:02 PM
I've been thinking recently: the poisons in the DM's guide, and the alchemical items available in the PHB, are all rather unrealistic and, sadly, lame. During the D&D Next playtest, I ran a campaign where I made up a villain that had no magical abilities (and hated magic users), but he had an intelligence of 18 that he did not put to waste. Phosphorus bombs, poisonous gas, and terrfying potions all had place in his villainy. I came up with him because I had just recently completed my chemistry-heavy major, so I wanted to come up with fun ways to apply what I had learned.

By writing them here, I assume that I'm putting them into the public domain. That's fine. Use them for everything that you want. I might add more with time. I dunno. I've never had a thread like this.

Alchemist's Breath (I posted this as a response to how to rule Chlorine gas in another thread):

Inhaling the gas causes a creature to experience inflammation of the mucosa of the respiratory system. Breathing becomes difficult (more difficult to exhale than inhale), eyes water uncontrollably, a feeling of weakness sets in rapidly.
Upon inhaling the gas, the target must make a DC 13 CON save. Upon a success, they suffer no notable effect (they feel burning in the lungs, but no damage yet), but each subsequent save against the gas for the next 10 minutes has the DC increased by 2 until they leave the area.
Upon failure, the target suffers one level of exhaustion (see the Player's Handbook or DM Screen for what exhaustion means). For each subsequent save (which increases DC by 2 every round if they're still in the gas), they accumulate further levels of exhaustion. This means that as the respiratory inflammation sets in, their ability checks suffer, their speed is cut, etc. until they drop dead and die. If they survive until they leave the affected area, the DC will decrease by 2 every round.
Players can recover from one level of exhaustion per short rest. An extended rest allows the target to overcome all levels. Lesser restoration can reduce exhaustion by one level.
Players may not simply put a rag over their face to prevent the gas from damaging them: it's not smoke. Additionally, holding one's breath will prevent exhaustion levels 2-6, but the first level of exhaustion grants disadvantage to ability checks as well, which is related to their eyes watering.

White Powder

Difficult to produce, even with the best laboratory equipment available, white powder is an effective source of fire and smoke, and is therefore a popular villainous getaway method. When the contents of the bottle contact oxygen in the air (whether through the flask being opened or thrown/broken), the white powder ignites instantly.
Creatures within 15 feet of the point of impact must make a DEX saving throw. On a success, creatures within 5 feet are blinded, but take no damage. On a failure, all creatureswithin 5 feet of the point of impact take 3d6 fire damage and are blinded; while creatures within 15 feet are merely blinded. The target may make a CON save at the end of their turn to end the blindness. Objects that are flammable are also ignited if within 5 feet, as long as they are not held or carried.
After the bright flash of light, a large amount of smoke is also generated that fills the area within 10 feet of the original point of impact. The area is heavily obscured, and cannot be seen through. The smoke has no other effect.

Shall I write more? Shall I include prices? Does anyone have suggestions on what to write next?

Ralanr
2015-07-09, 03:06 PM
So a flaming flashbang and chlorine gas? This makes me want to teach my barbarian alchemy supplies all the more (int 12).

Keep em coming!

fishyfishyfishy
2015-07-09, 05:33 PM
Shall I write more? Shall I include prices? Does anyone have suggestions on what to write next?

Yes please. Very creative homebrew you have here.

Thread bookmarked.

Kryx
2015-07-09, 05:39 PM
Alchemy, poisons, and explosives
Oh my!

You should include prices like poisons and other alchemical items do.

Darksidebro
2015-07-09, 09:46 PM
[/QUOTE]Shall I write more? Shall I include prices? Does anyone have suggestions on what to write next?[/QUOTE]

Yes you should. As already stated this is very creative homebrew and accomplished being much more interesting than your typical (lame) Alchemist's Fire; as well as not appearing very unbalancing. Thread Bookmarked.

Joe the Rat
2015-07-10, 12:20 PM
My resident alchemist is a spellcaster, but that's secondary.

His two inventions thus far:

Alchemist Fire Bullets: Sealed clay or glass beads of alchemist fire; changes sling damage to fire, may ignite flammables.

Eau du Troglodyte: Using the oils from the extracted scent glands of a troglodyte (Medicine roll and strong stomach required), he's created a sticky stink bomb. Thrown weapon, a successful hit splashes the target with a sticky, horrifically scented substance. Uses Troglodyte stench rules.

Any good weaponized lubricants or adhesives? Hallucinogens? Something with an overblown endothermic reaction?