PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Forgotten Realms Future: From Medieval to Sci-Fi.

xroads
2015-07-09, 03:08 PM
For my next campaign, I’m thinking of doing a gentle reskin of a D&D 5e module. I plan on changing the setting of the module from medieval fantasy to sci-fi fantasy. And by “gentle”, I mean that most of the changes I plan on making are going to be cosmetic changes. I don’t plan on reinventing the wheel (big fan of keeping things simple).

For example, the different races might be called aliens. Dungeons might be replaced with abandoned space stations. Magic might be explained by the use of nanites or psychic energies. Long bows and plate mail might be replaced with such names as “beam emitter rifles” and “personal force fields”.

But I’m sure I can’t completely get away from game mechanic changes. What changes do you guys think will be unavoidable?

And while I’m at, can you think of a 5e module that would translate well into a future campaign setting?

My first thought was “Rise of Tiamat”, but I think that’s mostly because I’ve always liked kaiju films and can picture Tiamat stomping through a city. :smallbiggrin: But I’ve heard RoT hasn’t been the most well received of the current 5e modules.

Madfellow
2015-07-09, 03:22 PM
Actually, if you would be willing to do it with Pathfinder instead of 5e you could try out the Iron Gods adventure path by Paizo. It has a very Roswell New Mexico kind of feel to it. Basically, imagine if the Starship Enterprise crash landed in Middle Earth.

You could try converting it to 5e, if you prefer.

Takewo
2015-07-09, 03:32 PM
As for the mechanics, the only thing I see is that a sword is still preferable to a beam laser shooter thingie. Maybe you should work out some little changes in the combat system. Or have everyone go with lasersabers.

Draken
2015-07-09, 04:04 PM
You should make all the gods into Megacorps.

Mystra Enterprises, running the WorldWideWeave.

xroads
2015-07-10, 08:35 AM
Or have everyone go with lasersabers.

That's pretty much my plan. Laser sabers, chain axes, mono-filament whips, etc. At first I was concerned the effects of bringing the firearms in from the DMG would have. But now I think I am just going to rename everything. And if for some reason a player decides to start wielding an actual long sword, it'll be treated like an improvised weapon (d4 dmg with no proficiency bonus).

You should make all the gods into Megacorps.

Mystra Enterprises, running the WorldWideWeave.

Heh. That's basically what I've been working on. Clerics, for example, are company men who are completely devoted to a powerful mega-corp. In return the mega-corp provides them with magic. Of course I won't call it magic. But it's magic.