PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Updating Heartwarder for Pathfinder?

Palanan
2015-07-09, 03:47 PM
Thanks to a recent thread, I've been looking at the Heartwarder again, and thinking it's not that bad for a 3.0 PrC.

Would it need anything changed to work in a Pathfinder game? I'm aware of its issue with SF Enchantment (required as a prerequisite, yet also granted as a class feature) but this can be easily dealt with. Apart from touching up the class skills (e.g. Animal Empathy, Innuendo) does anything else need to be altered for Pathfinder?

Psyren
2015-07-10, 01:28 AM
(You didn't specify a source, but just in case there's more than one of these, I'm looking in Faiths & Patheons.)

The first obvious change is patron deity - the closest analogue to Sune in Golarion would be Shelyn, so that's easy enough. She's not big on whips though - I would replace that with something else, probably Skill Focus (Diplomacy).
The other requirements are straightforward and you already mentioned the skills (don't forget to reduce the skill ranks.)

For class features:

- Charisma Increase - this is straightforward and doesn't need to change.

- Lips of Rapture - this needs to specify a range; logically it should be adjacent only but it's not clear. (Can you "blow" the kiss?) Also, can you smooch an ally while they're engaged in combat with an enemy? That wouldn't distract you, but it seems like it could distract them, so you may want to specify that it doesn't.

- Voice of a Siren - this should be altered: rather than giving you those two feats and then putting weird restrictions on them, it should instead just boost your DC and SR-check directly when you cast verbal enchantments, and then say this ability doesn't stack with those feats. That way, you can still take those feats normally (particularly Spell Penetration) if you want to use them with your other spells, but you won't be unbalanced by having double DC and penetration relative to a normal enchantment-using caster. This way, you don't actually have the feats, so you aren't prevented from picking them up, and your math stays in line with someone who does.

- Tears of Evergold - This needs to be rewritten to remove the FR references (e.g. renaming it to "Tears of Elysium", and making it 1/week instead of 1/"tenday".) It also has an XP cost, which will need to be dropped. Given how small that XP cost is, the weakness of the items and the time lag involved, I suggest removing the XP cost (as normal for PF), and just not replacing it with anything; a free love elixir that doubles as holy water per week is not going to break anything. If you're worried about your player staying home and crying for a year before hitting the market, just say the HW can only have 4 in existence at any given time or something (i.e. 1/week for a moon's phases.) Also, note that "potion of love" became "elixir of love" in 3.5 and PF.

Fey Metamorphosis - No change needed here.

Palanan
2015-07-10, 12:39 PM
Wow, that's a much more comprehensive review than I was expecting, thanks. (And this is indeed from Faiths and Pantheons.)

What did you mean by reducing the skill ranks? Would that be the ranks required to enter the PrC, or those conferred per level, or both? The difference in skills between 3.5 and PF still confuses me sometimes.

And thanks for the update on the potion/elixir of love, although I'm still a little puzzled. Where do I find the Pathfinder version? The CRB index, just as helpful as its 3.5 predecessor, doesn't mention elixirs anywhere that I can find....

Psyren
2015-07-10, 03:22 PM
What did you mean by reducing the skill ranks? Would that be the ranks required to enter the PrC, or those conferred per level, or both? The difference in skills between 3.5 and PF still confuses me sometimes.

The first one; max ranks in PF = level, while max ranks in 3.5 = level + 3.

And thanks for the update on the potion/elixir of love, although I'm still a little puzzled. Where do I find the Pathfinder version? The CRB index, just as helpful as its 3.5 predecessor, doesn't mention elixirs anywhere that I can find....

It's a core wondrous item, just like it was in 3.5: Elixir of Love (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/e-g/elixir-of-love)

It's a tiny bit stronger in PF because Protection from Evil can only block aligned charms now.