PDA

View Full Version : Thematic/Curious/Interesting Builds

ekarney
2015-07-09, 05:46 PM
3.X or Pathfinder, it's all good!

What are some of the more interesting builds you've seen?
Like ones that may not necessarily break the game, but just add a very quirky style to it, like a Raging Paladin, or a super thematic build, like replicating a super hero or something that just blows all expectations of a class out of the water, like some sort of mundane astrologist, or even just a build with a different playstyle?

I'll start even though it's pretty tame, it's the only one I've come up with.
Artificer 5/Alchemist Savant 5/Scout 10
Get an aptitude gnome calculus and you have a viable slinger build.
You could even mix it up (pun intended) with some Master Alchemist, or go for a bow based class and use Alchemist's Arrows.
It almost emulates a blaster caster, but I feel like there's much more interesting concepts out there.

daremetoidareyo
2015-07-09, 08:04 PM
How about I just post some stubs from my workshop.

Raptoran Planar fighter 2/Jaunter 4/berserk 3, choose cachalot.
1st level: have a decent int and dex score, you won't need str too much after level 9. Take dodge and mobility on first level, spring attack on second, and fill in whatever feats you want.

If you don't see the combo, I'll tell you. Fly above opponents, go berserk, when you berserk, you literally become a sperm whale. You are gargantuan, you only need to fly 10 feet above folks because the average sperm whale is 50,000 pounds. Fall on top of your opponents for 20d6 damage. Use jaunter's dimension door ability to dimension door yourself in dropping range of others. If this is ruled not to work, pick up wild cohort, anything that flies, and benign transposition with it once per round, smashing whale print shaped swaths through the opponents.

SOULKNIFE 2/PSION (SEER) 3 (for Clairescent sense)/assassin 1/ Soulbow 8 (enchant with distance arrow) /Cragtop archer 4

Idea is to use seer powers to scry, followed by the phase arrow ability of a soul bow to avoid any barriers, like walls or a half mile of dirt, or guardians, and cragtop archer to get 15 range increments that have been extended twice by far shot and distance arrows to be no-where near the target, while not having to take the range penalty. I'm playing with trying to get assassin to be the instakill machine that I want, but death attack is way too low a DC at level 18, when this class's abilities really come online. You might be able to argue that that the assassin spell that allows you to sneak attack from any distance could allow you to coup de grace a helpless sleeping dude a mile away, but most DMs would balk at that. So I'm left with 2 levels to get that that soulbow arrow (1d8+str+enhancement bonus) to do enough damage to kill in a single strike.

Red Rubber Band
2015-07-10, 12:49 AM
This was an OP to a thread I started not too long ago. But no one answered :smallfrown:

Hopefully yours is more successful, so I'll just copypasta here :smallbiggrin:

Are there any concepts/feats/class features that you've thought were cool and decided to make a character around?
I was always a big fan of the teleport/full attack shenanigans from Teflammar. The imagery is just awesome.

I was looking through the Devotion feats a couple of weeks ago and saw the Destruction Devotion. I decided I wanted to make a character based on it.

Housreules allow Monks to Flurry as a standard action and give them full BAB. Sweet. So with some dips for turning pools and a bunch of attacks, I had a character that could shred through AC and left opponents easy pickings for team mates.