PDA

View Full Version : Two alternate theories on Sabine and the cold iron/silver debate

Scalenex
2007-04-30, 02:39 PM
Theory One (simple version): Sabine is a Devil. Nale is known to be Lawful Evil, so he'd get along best with a Lawful Evil girlfriend. Both Elan and Haley are known to be Chaotic Good, Sabine is Haley's "opposite" so she is likely fully opposite and is thus Lawful Evil and thus a Devil.

Theory Two (needlessly complicated): Sabine is unique and is a result of a freak mating between a demon and a devil (with potential for hilarity there), she is immune to cold iron and silver alone, but vulnerable when they are used in tandem.

cucchulainnn
2007-04-30, 02:51 PM
She could be taking allergy shots.

Icewalker
2007-04-30, 03:06 PM
The second one would be quite hilarious. But I kinda doubt it.

First one seems more likely.

Studoku
2007-04-30, 03:23 PM
I still think she's a Chaotic evil demon, more specifically, a sucubus. Being a sucubus explains most, if not all of her powers.

Bluelantern
2007-04-30, 03:32 PM
I prefer her to be homebrew.

EvilElitest
2007-04-30, 03:38 PM
The sucabus does not explain her using engery drain at will
from,
EE

Gitman00
2007-04-30, 03:45 PM
I still think she's a Chaotic evil demon, more specifically, a sucubus. Being a sucubus explains most, if not all of her powers.

I tend to agree. She has a number of abilities that don't fit the Succubus creature type (Energy Drain with her claws is the first that springs to mind... a Succubus has to kiss her prey to drain him), but it's the closest match. I can't really see a lawful creature having sex four times behind her lover's back in a 3-hour period.

I think it's one of those things like V's gender that we'll never really know for sure, though.

Drakron
2007-04-30, 03:56 PM
The whole thing was a jab at the changes of Damage Resistance in 3.5 ... its funny for D&D players.

EagleWiz
2007-04-30, 04:20 PM
Succubus definatly. What other D&D outsider is an "Literal incarnation of illicit sex" ?

Deuce
2007-04-30, 04:29 PM
Put me down for "Succubus" as well. The Energy Drain may be a "Home-brew" change to the creature. I think she's got some character levels as well, though I'm not sure what in. As for the alignment between her and Nale, either he lacks the Knowledge(Fiends) to be able to tell (he's been fooled with "that time of the century") or it just isn't a big deal to him (she's useful to his plans, and the sex is great).

Demented
2007-04-30, 04:39 PM
60% Succubus

15% Demon

15% Devil

10% SYSTEM ERROR

Gaelbert
2007-04-30, 04:57 PM
Succubus definatly. What other D&D outsider is an "Literal incarnation of illicit sex" ?

QFT. She definitely acts like it.

Drakron
2007-04-30, 05:09 PM
Energy Drain (Su)

A succubus drains energy from a mortal it lures into some act of passion, or by simply planting a kiss on the victim. If the target is not willing to be kissed, the succubus must start a grapple, which provokes an attack of opportunity. The succubus’s kiss or embrace bestows one negative level.

I recall some feats for monsters that could change their abilities, perhaps she have one of then.

Erinyes is the only devil that is close to a succubus but they do not have bat wings.

Of course players are not given a look at the MM entry, they are simply given a description of the creature and lets not forget that "Knowledge" is a skill for a reason, its poor roleplaying to use metaknowledge.

Khantalas
2007-04-30, 05:14 PM

A brachina?

Firestar27
2007-04-30, 06:30 PM
definitely theory #2. I'm not joking.
In the blueprint for Nale's original plan to defeat Elan involved Sabine cutting a rope.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0255.html
Notice how the blueprint says "not silver or cold iron". It could have said only one, because Nale probably knows what Sabine is. But it said both. Therefore, Sabine is hurt by both.

Demented
2007-04-30, 06:45 PM
Until you realize that, if Nale did NOT know what Sabine was, he would STILL have said "not silver or cold iron".

CardinalFang
2007-04-30, 06:50 PM
Until you realize that, if Nale did NOT know what Sabine was, he would STILL have said "not silver or cold iron".
Or, he DOES know, but he doesn't want anyone else to figure it out and gain some kind of advantage, so he gets aluminum scissors or something so nobody can look at them and figure it out.

The Extinguisher
2007-04-30, 08:14 PM
I'm still holding onto my theory that Sabine is neither demon nor devil, but a homebrew fiend from the Grey Wastes that is maglomation of Succubi and Erinyes. With the abilities to plane-shift, to energy drain on touch, and with a weakness to, cold iron and silver.

Bogardan_Mage
2007-04-30, 11:43 PM
definitely theory #2. I'm not joking.
In the blueprint for Nale's original plan to defeat Elan involved Sabine cutting a rope.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0255.html
Notice how the blueprint says "not silver or cold iron". It could have said only one, because Nale probably knows what Sabine is. But it said both. Therefore, Sabine is hurt by both.
I interpretted that as being an indication that Sabine's nature is much like V's gender. I don't think The Giant ever intends to reveal which she is, it's become something of a running joke.

Scalenex
2007-05-01, 02:20 AM
I interpretted that as being an indication that Sabine's nature is much like V's gender. I don't think The Giant ever intends to reveal which she is, it's become something of a running joke.

That doesn't stop speculation on V so I figured I'd speculate here.