PDA

View Full Version : Increasing crit multiplier

thompur
2015-07-09, 08:53 PM
Is there a circumstance or feat that can increase a weapons crit multiplier?

nyjastul69
2015-07-09, 09:17 PM
Kaorti resin is a special material from an online WotC article that might help. I don't currently have a link though.

AmberVael
2015-07-09, 09:21 PM
Behold a link to kaorti resin! (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031014a)

2015-07-09, 09:25 PM
Deepwood Sniper (from Masters of the Wild) at 2nd and 7th lvl increases the critical multiplier of any projectile weapon you use by 1.

Master Thrower (from Complete Warrior) has an ability that increases the critical multiplier of any weapon you throw by 1.

(note: if you're throwing a projectile weapon, such as sling bullets or shuriken, the above two options can be combined with kaorti resin to give you a x7 critical multiplier, but wouldn't that be a weird build?)

More to come, if I can find more...

EDIT: There's a couple other ways, but they're very specific in application (Dragondoom, for instance). Far more hilarious is combining the above idea (kaorti resin shuriken with a x7 multiplier) on a build that gets bless weapon (which auto-confirms crits against evil opponents)...combined, of course, with the multitude of ways there are to extend your critical threat range.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2015-07-09, 10:19 PM
Psychic Weapons Master (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040827d), though it's uses/day. The kensai class from OA/the weapon master from Sword and Fist both increase multiplier (and threat range, which PWM does too). OA's Hida Defender increases multipliers as well, but with a limited weapon list.

Curmudgeon
2015-07-09, 10:38 PM
(note: if you're throwing a projectile weapon, such as sling bullets or shuriken, the above two options can be combined with kaorti resin to give you a x7 critical multiplier, but wouldn't that be a weird build?)
Won't work with sling bullets, because Kaorti resin can only make slashing or piercing weapons.

2015-07-09, 10:43 PM
Won't work with sling bullets, because Kaorti resin can only make slashing or piercing weapons.

Fair enough, but I'm sure there's a way to change a weapons damage type, 3.5's pretty variable. Maybe make it an Aptitude Weapon and make use of Versatile Unarmed Strike? I don't know, there's probably a flaw in that. I think there's a magic weapon enchantment that can change your weapon into another weapon of the same size, but doesn't change the material the weapon is made of. Can't recall the specifics, but if it works like I think it does, that would do it.

Anyway, there's probably a way to do it, somehow, but I'd probably just stick with shuriken...especially if we're using that "you can throw 3 shuriken per attack" rule 3.0 had.

frost890
2015-07-09, 11:11 PM
I think the Weapon master Prestige class did but I am not near my book right now. I also thought that there was a version of crafting masterwork weapons that could do that. I think it was a variant somewhere. but take that with a grain of salt.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
edit: Check this out and see if it helps http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Building_a_Better_Masterwork_(3.5e_Variant_Rule)

2015-07-09, 11:17 PM
The 3.0 Weapon Master did, but it was "upgraded" to the Exotic Weapon Master in 3.5; the crafting method, at a guess, is probably from the Arms & Equipment Guide, but I'm not sure.

GreatDane
2015-07-09, 11:24 PM
Mercurial longswords and greatswords in the Arms and Equipment Guide (a 3.0 book) swap their 19-20 crit range for an X4 crit multiplier.

It's not a template, but if you were specifically looking to boost those weapons, that would do it.

Saintheart
2015-07-10, 04:43 AM
Valorous weapons - Unapproachable East.

Curmudgeon
2015-07-10, 05:00 AM
Valorous weapons - Unapproachable East.
That doesn't do anything to the crit multiplier. If the weapon is a Medium +2 flaming longsword before you add Valorous, it'll double the damage to 2x (1d8 + 1d6 + 2) = 2d8 +2d6 +4 when you Charge with it.

KingSmitty
2015-07-10, 05:03 AM
Mercenaries Pg 91 + 92

"Laminated Steel Weapon: A laminated steel weapon gains +1 to all its damage rolls and its critical hit multiplier goes up by one as well. For example, a laminated steel longsword deals 1d8+1 damage and has a X3 critical hit multiplier. Furthermore, the weapon gains +5 to its normal hardness."

"Serrated Weapon: A serrated weapon has its critical hit threat range increased by +1. For example, a serrated longsword has a critical threat range of 18-20, instead of 19-20."

pretty much these few pages have some good crafting options, its like 4500 gold to apply both of these to a weapon plus the base cost for a Masterwork serrated laminated steel ______. I'd suggest dual wield Scimitars

Curmudgeon
2015-07-10, 05:46 AM
Mercenaries Pg 91 + 92

"Serrated Weapon: A serrated weapon has its critical hit threat range increased by +1. For example, a serrated longsword has a critical threat range of 18-20, instead of 19-20."
The problem with this unofficial source is that there's an official Serrated weapon property in Dragon # 358, page 43, which has nothing to do with critical threat range.

Krobar
2015-07-10, 07:06 AM
We use a home brew feat for that. Mundanes need nice things occasionally too.

QuickLyRaiNbow
2015-07-10, 10:18 AM
This isn't really one of the nice things they need. Melees are more than competitive on the damage front through charging, shadowpouncing, size stacking, crit fishing and precision damage optimization; what they need are defensive options that don't require spending feats, movement modes and ways to replace magic items with class/race features.