PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Looking for build ideas for a Dragon-Summoning Bard

KoDT69
2015-07-09, 10:33 PM
OK so as the title says I'm looking for possible build help. I want to have a half-dozen Bards, all with unique approaches. These will serve as generals to an Epic BBEG. What I would like to see is a build to accomplish each of these ideas I have so far:

1. A female violinist, flaming violin bow used to play and to melee attack, using her music to summon and control dragons. Can be a single dragon, or multiple. I absolutely love Lindsey Stirling, she is my muse: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuJnvC8voJY

2. A drummer Bard, uses his/her music to buff and control hoards of lesser enemies. Could be humanoids, beasts, doesn't matter, but there should be a sea of enemies!

3. Another Bard, no idea what instrument would fit best, but he/she will use their music to force the PC's to dance along and then his/her henchmen will be able to attack as the helpless PC's are compelled to dance! Instrument and henchmen types open here, whatever you think makes sense! Maybe voice? Sublime Chord?

4. Maybe this is a stretch but is there a way to make one that can literally turn the music waves into the monster like that scene in the movie Scott Pilgrim vs the World?

There is no set level for these so make them an appropriate level to achieve the ideological goals. My players are level 6 right now, and include a Sorcerer, 2 Druids, a Ranger (archer), a Paladin (ubercharger), a Duskblade, and a Rogue. Thanks for all who take the time to participate!

daremetoidareyo
2015-07-09, 11:02 PM
For #4) http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=18960584&postcount=76

Change his 4th level spell to planar binding. At level 15, with a little skill optimization, you can get that casting time down to a free action. Specifically summon from the paraelemental plain of sound or something. Maybe just refluff a lightning elemental.

For #1.
dragonblood Sorcerer (RDr), and Domain Access to the Dragon Below domain (CC)4/ human paragon 3/ Viruoso 1/sublime chord 3/ seeker of the song 5/sublime chord the rest of the way.
Choose lesser dragonshape as a 6th level spell that you can use to turn yourself and/or your familiar into a red dragon.
I would give her dark speech feats, namely doomspeak (-10 to a save) expending a bardic music. You might actually have to take extra music. Of course dragonfire inspiration and melodic casting, obtain familiar is a good option too.

Refluff the greenbound template to be a draconic template and take what would now be called "dragonbound summoning", or take spell thematics so that all of your summons are dragons.

KoDT69
2015-07-10, 11:50 PM
Thanks! I'll have to chec out Races of the Dragon again :smallwink:

Hiro Quester
2015-07-11, 04:08 PM
for #1, look at getting her gauntlets of heartfelt blows, and have her cast flame shield on herself. Then she will be wreathed in flames, and the gauntlets will make her weapon (the violin) flaming also (dong an extra d6 fire damage).

Check out the Bard prestige class Heartfire Fanner (dragon #314) and the Brotherhood of the Burning Heart for more fire-music synergy. If you get her to earn the Flame-souled template (+3 LA also from the B of the BH) she would acquire the fire subtype, the leadership feat and +3 Cha (among other goodies). Then have her use the leadership feat to take a dragon as her cohort (Drconomicon, page 139).

Make her dragon blooded, using dragon fire inspiration too, I guess.

KoDT69
2015-07-11, 10:45 PM
Very good ideas so far guys. Thanks! I really like the Heartfire Fanner one! Did you guys watch the video I linked???