PDA

View Full Version : Essential Spells to Retain for Remade Casting/Psionic Classes

Vrock_Summoner
2015-07-10, 01:41 AM
In an effort to push the game in the right general direction for balance, and more importantly to get things right for a campaign I want to run, I'm going to homebrew Incarnum-focused versions of the main caster and Psionic classes, mainly focused on reducing their spell lists and giving them more non-spell class features. But before I head off to the Homebrew section to whip these up, I came to the regular 3.5 section, because I need to figure out which essential pre-existing elements of each class's lists to keep. Obviously, every class is getting the spells/powers in Magic of Incarnum, because none of them are really particularly unbalanced and the whole point of this Homebrew is to orient the classes towards Incarnum and to make them balanced in a game focused primarily on Incarnum things. But even if I gave one class an entire list of all the spells in MoI, it would be a thematically and mechanically disjointed, short, and probably (though maybe not) too weak list. So I've got to figure out which elements from the other classes are necessary to distinguish them mechanically and thematically and cover all the more necessary bases. I don't want to bare-bones the entire system, because then character concepts would become a lot more sharply limited and that's no fun, but at the same time I feel like we can cut out a lot to get things to a more balanced and thematically focused level.

So what spells do you think it'd be essential to keep on the major classes' lists for this project? This will obviously be a long list, but you can give me more general answers as well (like, "keep all the Polymorph spells!" except that's almost certainly not what you're going to say because most people think Polymorph should be the first thing to go).