deadfalcon
2007-04-30, 04:17 PM
Worm Golem
Medium Aberration
Hit Dice: 6d8+12 (39 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armour Class: 22 (+4 Dex, +8 armour), touch 14, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+10(+14 with tentacles)
Attack: Slam +8 (1d4+2)
Full attack: 2 Slams (1d4+2)
Space/Reach: 5/5 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Tentacles, implant eggs, Constrict
Special Qualities: Blindsense (60ft), indiscernible anatomy, Fast healing 5, immune to poison and disease, Regeneration, Hive mind
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +6
Abilities: Str 14, Dex 19, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha
Skills: Listen +10
Feats: Improved Grapple, Weapon Finesse
Environment: underground
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 7
Treasure: standard (carried items only)
Alignment: Always chaotic evil
Advancement: 7-9 HD (medium), 10-12 (large)

You see walking towards you a suit of armour, as it approaches you notice through a
Crack in its armour a writhing mass of purple tentacles. Then suddenly it lurches forwards at a faster pace, it’s sensed you.

The Worm golem is not strictly a golem, created by some dark burial ritual before recorded time; these creatures have roamed the underdark looking for the next host for their offspring. The worm golem is a living creature, formed of a mass of 2-6ft long worms, each anout an inch thick, that forms its outer shell or armour out of either the armour that its predecessor was wearing or out of dried mucus that it excretes. The mass of worms is still attached to the skeleton of the host being; resulting in a humanoid appearance ans will attack by fireing one of the gauntlet looking hands towards its opponent and then retacting the worms atached to it. Its mind set however is completely alien; two thoughts drive this creature, survive and reproduce.

Indiscernible anatomy (ex): the mass of worms that make up this creature mean that it is immune to sneak attacks and critical hits.
Regeneration (su): any effect that causes damage over time because of wounds is ignored
Tentacles(ex): as a move action the worm golem con move its armour so as to enable it to grapple with its tentacles, when the armour is moved it lowers the armour bonus to AC by 2. as a standard action the Golem can grapple an opponent within 5ft, while grappling the Golem looses its dex bonus to AC but can still use its slam attacks, even in attacks of opportunity. When the Golem pins an opponent it can implant some eggs as a free action.
Implant eggs: Fort save DC12 to resist disease. roll again each day, On failure 1d4 con damage, on the reduction of Con to 0 the worms break through the skin and attach themselves to the armour that the host was wearing then after 3 days the mucus has dried to form the suit of armour. This disease can only be removed by Remove disease
Hive mind(su):besase of the hive mind of the worms the Golem is immune to mind affecting abilities
constrict: on a sucessful grapple with the tentacles the worm golem can constrict causing 1d4+1 damage

This is the first homebrew I've done in a while, and as you may see I'm not that great on flavour text or description (I tend to ramble). Any way this is work in progress so I'm not submitting it yet. Would love some helpful critsicm and a suggestion on the CR, the formulas I'm using tend to say CR7/8 but that seems abit high for me. oh feel free to suggest better descripion of flavour text :)

Triaxx
2007-04-30, 08:56 PM
Very nice. Inspired by Halo's Hunters? It's very nice. Assuming the worms have a hive mind, it should be immune to charm type spells as well.

Being that it IS a golem, don't forget some statistics for creating one.

Lord Magtok
2007-04-30, 08:58 PM
We are worms, we’re the best and we’ve come to win the war
We’ll stand, we’ll never run, stay until it’s done
Though our friends may fall and our world be blown apart
We’ll strike with all our might, we’ll fight for what is right, ‘till the end

Maybe it was partially inspired by Team 17's Worms games?

Icewalker
2007-04-30, 08:59 PM
If it is inspired by Hunters from Halo, to what extent? Do they lay eggs in people, excrete mucus into armor, then repeat? If not, I suggest submitting this to the MitP project, as it would probably be a bit far enough from copyright.

Corbert
2007-04-30, 09:09 PM
Just eyeballing the critter and remembering bits and pieces from Savage Species, CR 7/8 seems about right.

deadfalcon
2007-05-01, 12:50 AM
thanks, the worms do have a mind, the name Worm Golem was meant to be a miss naming by some adventuring type. and as i've never played Halo 1 or 2 I reckon its plenty far away from copyright. I've put in CR7 and will submitt after I've sent it to some friends to tryout.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-05-01, 10:19 AM
I was scared this would be an adaption of Earth Worm Jim. Glad to see it isn't. DnD has enough Worm monsters just in the core monster book.

Triaxx
2007-05-01, 02:41 PM
Not really, the closest thing is that the Hunters are a colony of worms, which is why they can wear the heavy armor, and use a really big gun. They're immune to infection by certain aliens, because there is no nervous system.

No matter, I like it, and it's more than different enough to have nothing to do with it. Definitely an eight in my opinion, but we tend to play up close and personal, rather than with ranged weapons.

deadfalcon
2007-05-02, 02:44 AM
Added constrict after a friend suggested it to me, I can now see it being a CR8 but I'm going to leave it at 7 for now as it is possible for a 7th level party to take it out in one it (tried it last night and they got REALLY lucky, the barbarian doing 42 damadge in one hit)

deadfalcon
2007-05-02, 02:45 AM
oh also added some extra description to make the 10ft reach make more sense