PDA

View Full Version : Dungeons and Dragons WW (Sign-up thread)

Deckmaster
2007-04-30, 04:27 PM
This is now a registration thread!

No more than 50 people will be allowed, and registration will last for a week (from May 2). So, whichever comes first.

Scroll down to see the roles. They will be assigned randomly, and the ones that are used will depend on how many people sign up.

The Roster:
1. [Insert Neat Username Here]
2. Alarra
3. Atreyu the Masked Llama
4. Bassetking
5. Captain van der Decken
6. Castaras
7. DarkCorax
8. EmeraldRose
9. Exachix
10. Gnome Barbarian
11. Helgraf
12. Ink
13. inky13112
14. janusnori
15. Kantur
16. Kyrian
17. Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
18. pingcode20
19. Raistlin1040
20. Rumda
21. Selrahc
22. Shadow
23. Strategos
24. Vonriel
25. Warpfire777
26. weebl
27. Zeb the Troll

The title is temporary. I will try to think up something better, but I am open to suggestions. Also, I am looking for a back-up narrator, someone who can update in the unlikely event I cannot post. I want to be prepared this time.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-04-30, 05:09 PM
I'd rework the rogue ability as it caused a heck of a lot of confusion last game.

I'll tell ya more later.

Deckmaster
2007-05-01, 04:01 PM
Wow. Not much love for this idea, huh? Slipped down into page 2.

I'm not giving up that easy. Bump!

Kyrian
2007-05-01, 04:19 PM
I'm in, if you bring it back.

Castaras
2007-05-01, 04:29 PM
If you can get this running, Deckmaster, then I may join.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-05-01, 04:46 PM
It should have a co-narrator. One who can be on when you are not, Deckmaster. I may be recalling incorrectly, but I believe on a few occassions the updates were off worse than the Video Game Heal/Hurt. That really hurts a werewolf game.

I liked the roles. Maybe adding a prestige class or two might be fun.....hmmmmm...........prestige classes.....I think i have a (terrible) idea.

Deckmaster
2007-05-01, 08:56 PM
Maybe. I'd be much better at updating regularly now, though, since a) I now have regular access to a computer and b) I'm usually on at the same time every day. A co-narrator may be helpful anyway.

I'm only bringing this back if people have good suggestions for changes. I agree the Rogue needs to be reworked, but I can't think how. I thought the "escape-and-hide" ability would work, but all it did was make me confused as to whether the game was technically over.

Cleric and Wizard I'll probably keep the same, unless things really change. They didn't get any play at all in the last game. Also, less wolves. I made 1/5 of the players wolves; it was obviously too many. Or I can split them into two packs. Of course I probably won't call them wolves, if I can find a more D&D style creature that can pass as human. I will also definitely rework the Monk, Druid and Bard. I meant for them to become somewhat influential in the game because they were almost untouchable (except for the Bard, who got an extra vote); instead they became ineffective.

The Barbarian and Ranger worked pretty much the way I wanted them to. The wolves were afraid to kill the Barbarian, especially once they figured out who she was, because by then their numbers were so low. The Ranger proved an invaluable information source for the Masons. They worked too well; if the other roles had worked out like I planned, the wolves probably would have been obliterated. The Fighter was auto-lynched; that was unfortunate, seeing as he completely replaced the Baner. I think next time I'll do something different with the Fighter and make the Paladin the replacement Baner. I can't remember, but I think the Sorcerer got killed early, too. I'll probably keep that the same, as well.

I don't know; what do you guys think?

Strategos
2007-05-01, 09:01 PM
Well, I wasn’t around here back when Werewolf V was being played, and I’m definitely not an authority on Werewolf games in general, but I have read WWV recently. Perhaps something along the following line would work for it.

Commoner: Villager
Rogue: Wolf
Sorcerer: Devil (Must be a Rogue, must be Evil)
Wizard: Seer (Can‘t be a Rogue, must be Good)
Adept: Fool (Can‘t be a Rogue, Thinks they're Good, regardless of actual alignment)
Bard: Illusionist/Witch/Warlock (Can be either)
Cleric: Baner (Can’t be a Rogue)
Druid: Mason (Can’t be a Rogue)
Ranger: Keep the same (Can’t Be Rogue)
Barbarian: Keep the same (Can be either)

Monk: Having reached the pinnacle of Monkhood, perfecting both Body and Mind, the Monk can survive blows that would kill a normal person. The first time the Monk is killed in any way (except autolynching), the result is ignored and the player revealed as the Monk. (Can be either).

Fighter: A veteran of many battles, the Fighter can defend himself from almost any attack. Although even his skill and determination can be overcome. The Fighter has a 50% chance of surviving a rogue or paladin attack. (Can't be a Rogue)

Paladin: (For the Paladin, I’m thinking of something vaguely similar to the Shadow in Mafia III see here (http://http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39711)). As one of Good's most resolute champions the Paladin's ultimate objective is to eradicate evil above all else. The Paladin can either “Detect Evil” at night, or kill someone who’s Evil. Detect Evil shows the Paladin a players alignment, but not their role. The Paladin can only kill someone that they‘ve detected as Evil. Wins if all Evil players are killed. (Can’t be a Rogue, Must be Good)

At signup all players are sent out their role and their alignment, either Good, Neutral or Evil. Alignment is determined randomly, except where otherwise noted above. The universal concept of Alignment is so strong that not even the Bard’s power can fool it. This means that the Rogues aren’t necessarily evil while the Cleric might not be as good as they appear. On death, a players Alignment is revealed along with their role.
***Edit 1*** Ahh, simued by Deckmaster I see, and I usually check preview post to prevent that to. Oh well. Two groups of 'wolves' seems to work okay. I'll see if I can re-work what I've got to fit in better with what you've posted. ***/Edit 1***

***Edit 2*** Changed the Adept slightly and added a Neutral alignment ***/Edit 2***

Deckmaster
2007-05-01, 09:57 PM
Actually, that's very good. Much better than what I was thinking. You really simplified things, and addressed a lot of the issues I was having.

That's what I get for trying to make things complicated.

A slight change; there could be a few neutrals out there, so that evil equals roughly 1/3 of the players. Or a d3 roll, if you want to get technical. Their only purpose would be to make the number of Good equal to the number of Evil without making it polarized, but I like the idea.

The Adept should be required to be Good as well, or at least think he's Good, seeing as if he works like the Fool, he should think he's the Wizard.

A circle of Druids replacing a secret society of Masons is also very appealing to me.

Anyone see any problems with that I'm missing?

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-05-01, 10:25 PM
not at this time. It looks good.

Zeb The Troll
2007-05-02, 05:48 AM
I wasn't playing WW games when this happened the first time but this sounds really cool. If I'm not in too many when it comes around, I'll definitely sign up for it.

Deckmaster
2007-05-02, 02:55 PM
I think I'm going to combine Stratego's suggestions with more elements from the original game. Can't post what I'm thinking of right now, though. Check back in a few hours.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-05-02, 03:30 PM
ooh, will do!

Deckmaster
2007-05-02, 06:07 PM
Here we go.

Roles are listed in alphabetic order.

Note on Alignment: Alignment means little in terms of gameplay, except that good and evil characters can be targeted by the Blackguard and Paladin, respectively. You can choose to act your alignment or not.

Barbarian: Rage: The Barbarian can take out 1 other person when killed. If lynched, the Barbarian can take out one of his accusers; if assassinated, he will take out a Rogue at random. If killed by other means, he takes out his attacker. May be good, evil or neutral, and either a Commoner or a Rogue.

Bard: Works the Illusionist/Witch/Warlock. False Vision: He can make 1 player appear to have a different role and alignment to Investigate or Hide in Plain Sight, but not to Detect Good/Evil or Track. May be good, evil or neutral, and either a Commoner or a Rogue.

Blackguard: The Paladin's evil counterpart. Detect/Smite Good: As one of Evil's most resolute champions the Blackguard's ultimate objective is to eradicate good above all else. The Blackguard can either "Detect Good" at night, or kill someone who's Good. Detect Good shows the Blackguard a player's alignment, but not their role. The Blackguard can only kill someone they've detected as Good. Wins if all Good players are killed. Must be evil and a Rogue.

Chief: Works like the Seer. Investigate: Can see if someone is a Commoner or a Rogue, their alignment, and if they have a special role. Must be Good and cannot be a Rogue.

Cleric: Raise Dead: The Cleric can raise 1 player from the dead 1 time during the game. This person can't vote, be voted for, or be assassinated for 3 days. This person has a chance of having their alignment switched upon resurrection. The Cleric cannot use this ability on himself. This action does not reveal the Cleric. Even after they use this ability, they will still be revealed as the Cleric when killed. May be good, evil or neutral, and either a Commoner or a Rogue.

Commoner: Works like the Villager. Basically, it means you are not a Rogue. May be good, evil or neutral.

Druids: Works like the Masons. They know each other and know that the other druids are not Rogues. May be good, evil or neutral, but cannot be a Rogue.

Duelist: Works like the Baner. Canny Defense: He can protect 1 other person or himself from assassination every night. May be good, evil or neutral, but cannot be a rogue.

Fighter: A veteran of many battles, the Fighter can defend himself from almost any attack. Although even his skill and determination can be overcome. Combat Expertise: The Fighter has a 50% chance of surviving a Smite Good/Evil or assassination, but not an attack by a Sorcerer or Wizard with an offensive ability. May be good, evil or neutral, and either a Commoner or a Rogue.

Monk: Evasion: Having reached the pinnacle of Monkhood, perfecting both Body and Mind, the Monk can survive blows that would kill a normal person. The first time the Monk is killed in any way (except autolynching), the result is ignored and the player revealed as the Monk. If he is resurrected, he regains use of Evasion. May be good, evil or neutral, and either a Commoner or a Rogue.

Paladin: Detect/Smite Evil: As one of Good's most resolute champions the Paladin's ultimate objective is to eradicate evil above all else. The Paladin can either “Detect Evil” at night, or kill someone who’s Evil. Detect Evil shows the Paladin a player's alignment, but not their role. The Paladin can only kill someone that they‘ve detected as Evil. Wins if all Evil players are killed. Must be good and cannot be a Rogue.

Ranger: Track: The Ranger can tell who is a Rogue and who isn't. Works like the Chief, only he can't see roles beyond Rogue and Commoner. Track is not affected by False Vision. May be good, evil, or neutral, but cannot be a Rogue.

Rogue: Works like the Wolf. The Rogues vote every night to decide who to assassinate. Their goal to is to take over the village. They will do this by assassinating the Commoners one by one until their numbers are equal. May be good, evil, or neutral.

Rookie: Works like the Fool. Thinks he's the Chief. Investigate: Tries to see if someone is a Commoner or a Rogue and their alignment, but gets a random result instead. Sees the Chief as the Rookie. If the Chief is killed, he becomes the Chief for real, including becoming good if he is not already. Thinks he is good, whether he really is or not, and cannot be a Rogue.

Shadowdancer: Works like the Devil. Hide in Plain Sight: He can spy on people from the shadows and see if they have a special role. Must be evil and a Rogue.

Sorcerer: Power Over Versatility: Picks 1 of 7 schools at the start of the game and gains an ability based on that school. The ability will be more powerful than either of the Wizard's abilities. May be good, evil, or neutral, and either a Commoner or a Rogue.

Wizard: Versatility Over Power: Picks 2 of 7 schools at the start of the game and gains abilities based on those schools. Neither ability will be as powerful as the Sorcerer's lone ability. Can still only use 1 ability per night. May be good, evil, or neutral, and either a Commoner or a Rogue.

At signup all players are sent out their role and their alignment, either Good, Neutral or Evil. Alignment is determined randomly, except where otherwise noted above. The universal concept of Alignment is so strong that not even the Bard’s power can fool it. This means that the Rogues aren’t necessarily evil while the Cleric might not be as good as they appear. On death, a players Alignment is revealed along with their role.

I'm really proud of this. It just feels like D&D to me. Thanks to Strategos for the great ideas.

Rumda
2007-05-02, 07:07 PM
very nice i am defiantly in

Deckmaster
2007-05-02, 08:35 PM
Cool. This is now a registration thread. I'm going to edit the first post, so be sure to check that out. I'm also changing the title.

Edit: I will assume, Llama and Strategos, that you are interested in playing even though you haven't actually said as much.

Raistlin1040
2007-05-02, 09:20 PM
INSIES! Yes I know I'm a spaz.

pingcode20
2007-05-02, 10:35 PM
Sounds good. I'm in.

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2007-05-02, 10:57 PM
Almost every Werewolf games except maybe WW1 and WWClassicIII/IV has had a Fullbladder. Hate to break tradition. Always did love the DnDWW. Had some backbone, it did. I'm also in.

Vonriel
2007-05-02, 11:24 PM
Huh, this looks pretty good. I'll play too, though I may need a reminder when the time comes..

Shadow
2007-05-02, 11:28 PM
I really shouldn't sign up for this because I already have too little free time to devote to the boards, but this one sounds like so much fun that I can't resist!
IN!

Bassetking
2007-05-02, 11:34 PM
I am in!

In I am.

Am I in?

DarkCorax
2007-05-03, 04:33 AM
Ooh, sounds cool, *is in*

Selrahc
2007-05-03, 05:26 AM
I am joining.

Kantur
2007-05-03, 06:58 AM
I'm in!
filler

Captain van der Decken
2007-05-03, 09:27 AM
I'll play.

Gnome Barbarian
2007-05-03, 01:28 PM
sign me up...

Castaras
2007-05-03, 01:38 PM
*Jaw drop*

IN! FREAKING IN!

Exachix
2007-05-03, 01:47 PM
I did this last time...

And I'll do it again!

Deckmaster
2007-05-03, 04:46 PM
First post updated.

Edit: I was going through the roles and realized I forgot to mention that the Wizard can still only use 1 ability per night. Seems nitpicky, but I don't want there to be confusion. I also reworded some things and made a change to the Rookie.

Helgraf
2007-05-03, 04:48 PM
This was the first werewolf game I ever played - and my side won. You bet I'm in for this again.

Was going to suggest dopplegangers in place of wolves, but you seem to have it covered with the class spread instead.

Ink
2007-05-03, 04:54 PM
Hey why not, the last time was pretty fun. Count me in.

inky13112
2007-05-03, 05:46 PM
Ill join. w7di j3 0o3qw3

Warpfire
2007-05-03, 08:12 PM
I'll join as well.

Alarra
2007-05-04, 12:13 AM
Umm....okay...

Deckmaster
2007-05-04, 12:22 AM
Umm....okay...

Does that mean you are in? Or are not sure what's going on? This thread was originally for feedback from my Werewolf DnD game so I could make a new one. It took less than a page for someone to come up with a killer idea, which it took me not much time to adapt. Rather than start a whole new thread, I edited the first post, removing all of the original content and apparently causing your confusion.

Unless you are saying you are in. In which case I wasted an explanation...

Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins
2007-05-04, 09:36 AM
An explanation is never wasted, not even on deaf, blind, mute people. It's a universal law.

DarkLightDragon
2007-05-04, 09:52 AM
I won't join (I'm already in quite a few spin-offs), but I just want to say that you should be sure to make the Fool's scrying fully randomised this time.

It was still an awesome game though. You can always PM me if you want me to write a death scene. Writing mine was awesome...

"We can trust the Captain of the Guard!"
"I throw rocks at the guards!"
"Kill her!"
"Okay!"
"NOOOOOOOOO!"
"I'm the Seer!"
"The Captain of the Guard is not to be trusted!"
"Nonsense!"
"WTF?"
"Surprise! I'm the enemy scryer!"
"TRAITOR!"
"Dude... I'm wearing armour..."
"We should take a whack at her too!"
"Heheheheheh..."

Deckmaster
2007-05-05, 08:08 AM
Ah! No! Slipped onto the second page!

If we get enough people, I might add in other roles. But with what we have so far, I'm not sure I'll use all the roles I've listed.

janusnori
2007-05-05, 02:37 PM
I'm in! word limit

[Insert Neat Username Here]
2007-05-05, 05:03 PM
Sounds good. I'm in.

Deckmaster
2007-05-05, 11:39 PM
Awesome. I also added in Alarra at the assumption her post was a sign-up.

Not sure where to fit a "[" in the alphabetical order; I put it at the beginning but it could just as easily go at the end. I also could have put him under "I."

Anyways, we are now half-full, which means I am now confident I will use all the roles I've created. There are still 3 (almost 4) days to sign up still. Don't miss your chance!

inky13112
2007-05-06, 10:05 AM
Ah, but how can you be sure were not actually half empty? :smallbiggrin:

Vonriel
2007-05-06, 10:24 AM
Because we're still filling up, you see, so it has to be half full. If it were people quitting, then it'd be half empty. :smallwink:

Weebl
2007-05-06, 04:19 PM
I'm playing if i have to kill all those damn pandas to do it!

Deckmaster
2007-05-08, 12:47 PM
Just bumping this back to the first page.

EmeraldRose
2007-05-08, 06:45 PM
Sign me up please. :smallsmile:

Deckmaster
2007-05-10, 07:03 AM
I was going to start this up yesterday, but the site wasn't working too well for me. So I'll start it sometime today.

EmeraldRose
2007-05-10, 07:07 AM
A quick question while the Forum is up....

How will the game run if the boards are iffy? Will there be allowances made for times players are unable to get on for days at a time? :smallconfused:

Deckmaster
2007-05-10, 07:27 AM
Let me put it this way; if I couldn't get on, I won't fault anyone else if they can't get on.

Exachix
2007-05-10, 10:46 AM
((So we know: I'm going away... possibly Friday Evening... maybe Saturday Evening... and coming back Sunday Evening (GMT) ))

Deckmaster
2007-05-10, 12:09 PM
Your absence is noted, Exachix, but no one is going to be auto-lynched until the end of Day 2, and we shouldn't be that far by then.

I've sent out all the roles. If you don't like your role, blame Invisible Castle; I used their die roller to randomly assign the roles. Except for the alignments, which I assigned myself so that the Blackguard's job wouldn't be any harder than the Paladin's job, or vice versa.

I haven't decided whether I'm going to start a new thread or make this the actual game thread. Stay tuned.

Deckmaster
2007-05-10, 02:08 PM
So I screwed up. The Sorcerer and Wizard should be able to pick from 8 schools instead of 7. The Sorcerer already picked his/her school; the Wizard was asking me about the schools when I realized my mistake. I'm giving the Sorcerer a chance to pick again and I'm waiting on the Wizard to make a choice.

It seems I can't make a new thread for some reason. We'll just start it here; I'll start the first day in a new post.

EDIT: I can't make a new thread in this sub-forum. I'll make it in the SMBG and let a mod move it.

zeratul
2007-05-10, 05:55 PM
Ohohohohohohoh pick me! pick me!

I'm in:smallbiggrin:

Deckmaster
2007-05-10, 06:02 PM
Sorry, zeratul. You're too late for this one. But I am planning on doing this again in the future. Keep an eye out for it.

So, I started the game thread like, 4 hours ago in the SMBG forum, and put in the first post a note to any mods asking them to move it here. I guess we'll do it there for now.

I thought up a better name, as well: Theives' Guild! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2562778#post2562778)

That might get changed to "D&D Theives' Guild" at some point in the near future.

pingcode20
2007-05-11, 02:05 AM
Hi, I'd like to register a complaint with Invisible Castle; I've been set as a villager again, and would prefer to have a more interesting role like the wizard or bard or even a wolf in future. :smalltongue: