PDA

View Full Version : New Feat Idea

critter3of4
2015-07-10, 12:46 PM
This is a first draft of an idea for a feat that I created 15 minutes ago.

1) if you were one of two spell casters in the party. Would you consider getting it?

2) Please tell me what you think of it.

Aid Caster

Required: The ability to cast spells.

As an action, a pc can spend a spell slot to become the source of concentration for a spell cast by another. The pc must use a spell slot equal to the concentration spell being cast. The other caster must "pass" concentration willingly.

More versatile option: Replace the action requirement. Make it usable as a reaction whenever an ally casts a concentration spell.

Gurka
2015-07-10, 12:57 PM
I would absolutely not allow it, without specific and unambiguous restrictions. Even then, I probably wouldn't because it doesn't make much sense to me.

To assume concentration for another, you first must be able to cast spells of a level equal to or greater than the concentration spell being assumed. Second, I'd say you must have a spell slot of that level available, though you need not spend that spell slot.

Without specific restrictions, you could easily have a half-caster assume concentration on a level 8 or 9 spell, freeing the full-caster to cast another high level spell. It could really be easily abused.

critter3of4
2015-07-10, 01:22 PM
I would absolutely not allow it, without specific and unambiguous restrictions. Even then, I probably wouldn't because it doesn't make much sense to me.

To assume concentration for another, you first must be able to cast spells of a level equal to or greater than the concentration spell being assumed. Second, I'd say you must have a spell slot of that level available, though you need not spend that spell slot.

Without specific restrictions, you could easily have a half-caster assume concentration on a level 8 or 9 spell, freeing the full-caster to cast another high level spell. It could really be easily abused.

It might be too..abstract, I guess. I just dabbling here. Mostly out of boredom :-).

BTW, I edited the post to include your suggestions. You're right, it is very prone to abuse as originally written.

HoarsHalberd
2015-07-10, 01:24 PM

Worst of all you could have a sorcerer twinned spell multiple concentration buffs.

critter3of4
2015-07-10, 01:28 PM
Worst of all you could have a sorcerer twinned spell multiple concentration buffs.

I thought you can only have one concentration spell going, no exceptions.

Ralanr
2015-07-10, 01:34 PM

One per caster. This makes it the other guy is technically the caster.

All in all I don't think concentration is something that should be toyed with. As much as I find it annoying when I look up spells when writing ( I don't normally write within D&D rules but when writing about D&D characters and campaigns I try to keep close to some).

If you're dead set on it, maybe give the other guy disadvantage on concentration checks of that spell and specify that they cannot gain advantage or lose disadvantage on it.

critter3of4
2015-07-10, 01:44 PM
Yeah, this'll probably get tossed in the large file of "half-baked ideas that don't work...yet...maybe ever"

I initially liked the idea because it encourages casters to work together. I like teamwork.

Ralanr
2015-07-10, 01:50 PM
Yeah, this'll probably get tossed in the large file of "half-baked ideas that don't work...yet...maybe ever"

I initially liked the idea because it encourages casters to work together. I like teamwork.

Teamwork is all fine and good, plus having two casters work on the same spell together is a big thing in fantasy stories (when they aren't doing other wizard things that negate working together).

Maybe a feat that allows rituals to last long/have a shorter cast depending on the more people working together on it?

KorvinStarmast
2015-07-10, 02:48 PM
Aren't there already buffs that allow on caster to improve the saves of the other caster? :smallbiggrin: The concentration check is a con save.

Off Topic: One of my favorite teamwork spell combinations was in Diablo II, where the Necromancer would cast "Lower Resistance" and the sorceress would lay on the Fire, Lightning, or Cold damage. (To a lesser extend, Conviction Aura on a Paladin). We found a bug during the beta for LoD that I think got fixed, where we walked into Duriel's pit and strangely one shotted him with Static Field and Conviction. We ran it again, and IIRC the same thing happened with Static Field and Lower Resist. (Or maybe it was all three at once, the second time, it was a decent sized party).

The few of us engaging him with melee just watched him fall down dead before we even got our swings off. It was hilarious.
IIRC the sorceress player submitted a bug report. (No, not just a Dead Bug report because Duriel died ... :smalltongue: )

HoarsHalberd
2015-07-10, 03:07 PM

https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/506908500392280064 With twinned spell you'd have two effects of the same spell going, which with a sorcerer and another person to maintain the spell off of, you could have four spell effects going off with only two casters.

critter3of4
2015-07-10, 05:49 PM
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/506908500392280064 With twinned spell you'd have two effects of the same spell going, which with a sorcerer and another person to maintain the spell off of, you could have four spell effects going off with only two casters.

Just to be clear that I understand:

If my (admittedly broken) feat were in play, then the sorcerer could cast Twinned Hold Person on two targets. The other caster (with the feat in question) picks up the concentration for that Twinned Spell. Then the sorcerer could cast Twinned Hold Person again.

Is that what you're saying?

DracoKnight
2015-07-10, 05:54 PM
Just to be clear that I understand:

If my (admittedly broken) feat were in play, then the sorcerer could cast Twinned Hold Person on two targets. The other caster (with the feat in question) picks up the concentration for that Twinned Spell. Then the sorcerer could cast Twinned Hold Person again.

Is that what you're saying?

That's really freaking overpowered :P

critter3of4
2015-07-10, 05:55 PM
That's really freaking overpowered :P

I know, I'm not going to use it. Just trying to understand what the other guy was saying

DracoKnight
2015-07-10, 05:59 PM
I know, I'm not going to use it. Just trying to understand what the other guy was saying

But...Hmmmmm...I'm thinking about the other applications of this...I might put this in my game and see if my players figure it out...just because I like it when my players are superpowered, cuz then I can throw really tough **** at them :D

EXAMPLE: My part of 10 level 4s killed an Adult Blue Dragon, losing only 4 PCs. (One of those PCs the player asked me to kill them off, and the other 3 were DM controlled, cuz I got bored controlling them.) Level 4s killed this thing on their own. It was awesome :D

Ziegander
2015-07-10, 06:01 PM
And yet, that's really the only reason it's overpowered. Sorcerers with Twinned Spell. Otherwise, I don't even see why you'd choose to use it. Why take concentration for someone else's spell when you can just cast your own concentration spell? *shrug* It has uses, I suppose, but they are niche and not really worth taking a feat for, unless of course you're breaking it wide open with a Sorcerer ally, but then it's broken...

HoarsHalberd
2015-07-10, 06:16 PM

Yes. Or you can use twinned hold person and twinned haste to allow your martials to rip through the held targets.

JNAProductions
2015-07-10, 06:50 PM
You can use it to hold concentration for a spell you don't know. Haste on a Cleric, for instance.

GiantOctopodes
2015-07-10, 07:42 PM
or fighters maintaining the concentration on the haste cast on them, or Rogues the enhance ability cast on them, etc. Allows the caster to have his spell while allowing party members to have their buffs. And it's not super OP since you can still only have one concentration spell per party member, just like normal, it just would mean that not *everyone* would need to have a concentration spell they can cast to maximize party effectiveness. As long as you don't allow hirelings or whatever to have this feat, personally I see no qualms with it at all. I can certainly understand the concerns, I just don't personally share them.

critter3of4
2015-07-10, 08:31 PM
But...Hmmmmm...I'm thinking about the other applications of this...I might put this in my game and see if my players figure it out...just because I like it when my players are superpowered, cuz then I can throw really tough **** at them :D

EXAMPLE: My part of 10 level 4s killed an Adult Blue Dragon, losing only 4 PCs. (One of those PCs the player asked me to kill them off, and the other 3 were DM controlled, cuz I got bored controlling them.) Level 4s killed this thing on their own. It was awesome :D

Ha! If you use it, please share how it goes!

More versatile option: Replace the action requirement. Make it usable as a reaction whenever an ally casts a concentration spell.

Gurka
2015-07-10, 08:39 PM
As much as I'd not allow this in the hands of players...

I'm definitely going to have a group of badguys who abuse this strategy now!

JNAProductions
2015-07-10, 08:43 PM
That's... That's just mean. Gurka, you are a cruel DM.

Ralanr
2015-07-10, 08:52 PM
As much as I'd not allow this in the hands of players...

I'm definitely going to have a group of badguys who abuse this strategy now!

That's... That's just mean. Gurka, you are a cruel DM.

But the solution to such enemies is simple.

Instead of "Focus the caster", you have, "Kill them faster."

:smallbiggrin:

critter3of4
2015-07-12, 02:13 PM
I may change this feat into a 1st level spell that can be casted at a higher level.

Dark Ass4ssin 1
2015-07-12, 08:38 PM
If this is done I feel as though it should have a set level, lower than contigency because of less versatility.

Additionally is should work like a familiars ability to cast spells, which would limit things to 1 concentration spell, and the busted spell aren't applicable.

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-13, 12:58 AM
This is a first draft of an idea for a feat that I created 15 minutes ago.

1) if you were one of two spell casters in the party. Would you consider getting it?

2) Please tell me what you think of it.

Aid Caster

Required: The ability to cast spells.

As an action, a pc can spend a spell slot to become the source of concentration for a spell cast by another. The pc must use a spell slot equal to the concentration spell being cast. The other caster must "pass" concentration willingly.

Just just become a fighter (eldritch knight) you have 7 ASI and get this.
You just concentrate on the low levels spells while taking people down with your greatsword around you.

Kurt Kurageous
2015-07-16, 09:37 AM
What this felt like was a feat that would come from a background of being a wizard's apprentice, not at all a standalone feat. Perhaps a replacement of the feat Guild Membership of the (in my game underutilized) Guild Artisan background? PHB pg.133

Given the potential to break the game, perhaps the feat should gives some kind of advantage on concentration saves (add spell bonus?) if the apprentice doesn't have to concentrate on something else. It could certainly shorten a ritual cast, as Ralanr has suggested, or extend the duration of the spell as well.

I like the concept. Go make it great!