PDA

View Full Version : mobility

geekintheground
2015-07-10, 02:53 PM
is there any feat thats better than mobility that COUNTS as mobility for prereqs? 3.5 or PF is fine. im trying to get into telflammar shadowlord, and im willing to eat the feat tax if i need to, but am looking for options.

marphod
2015-07-10, 03:10 PM
is there any feat thats better than mobility that COUNTS as mobility for prereqs? 3.5 or PF is fine. im trying to get into telflammar shadowlord, and im willing to eat the feat tax if i need to, but am looking for options.

Not as far as I'm aware.

There are some homebrews here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?202107-Feats-that-count-as-other-feats)

This thread lists most of the theofficial/WotC Options (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12982) that I know of, for 3.5. I don't think that's complete, but it looks close.

I don't see any on d20pfsrd.com for Pathfinder, but that's not a complete source for all material, just the OGL material (which is a super majority, but not everything).

OldTrees1
2015-07-10, 03:12 PM
Doesn't Mobility come in a wearable form(armor)?

geekintheground
2015-07-10, 03:21 PM
Doesn't Mobility come in a wearable form(armor)?

mobility armor grants the benefits of the mobility feat. but i've seen debates about whether that wording counts as a prereq (since thats a benefit) or just what's in the "benefit" section of the feat description, so i was hoping for something a little more clear cut, but i might talk to my DM about that...

geekintheground
2015-07-10, 03:24 PM
Not as far as I'm aware.

There are some homebrews here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?202107-Feats-that-count-as-other-feats)

This thread lists most of the theofficial/WotC Options (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=12982) that I know of, for 3.5. I don't think that's complete, but it looks close.

I don't see any on d20pfsrd.com for Pathfinder, but that's not a complete source for all material, just the OGL material (which is a super majority, but not everything).

Jowgen
2015-07-10, 03:47 PM
*checks own sig'd list*

For 55000, you can get a Golden Dancing Pegleg graft, which grants "use of the Mobility and Spring Attack feats, even if the creature does not normally meet the prerequesites". Seems rather water-tight in regards to meeting prerequs. Also +10 compentence to perform dance, if that matters :smallyuk:

Segev
2015-07-10, 03:54 PM
*checks own sig'd list*

For 55000, you can get a Golden Dancing Pegleg graft, which grants "use of the Mobility and Spring Attack feats, even if the creature does not normally meet the prerequesites". Seems rather water-tight in regards to meeting prerequs. Also +10 compentence to perform dance, if that matters :smallyuk:

Aye, matey, but is't curs'd t' make ye talk like a pirate, yar?

Ellowryn
2015-07-10, 04:24 PM
Aye, matey, but is't curs'd t' make ye talk like a pirate, yar?

So, Talk like a Pirate Day all year long in exchange for not having to take a crappy feat? I believe even Tippy would agree with a Yarg!

Blackhawk748
2015-07-10, 04:31 PM
So, Talk like a Pirate Day all year long in exchange for not having to take a crappy feat? I believe even Tippy would agree with a Yarg!

And ye get Spring Attack, but ye will ne'r use that terrible feat, but hey ye get it

Jowgen
2015-07-10, 04:46 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Py323dP0oYM/U8_l569SZnI/AAAAAAAAApQ/qTBdSjDP7AI/s1600/jacksparrow.png

Sacrieur
2015-07-10, 04:47 PM
If homebrew is open I created a feat which does just that:

Feat Study

You have mastered the theory, but have never put the principles into practice.

You may select two feats. You do not receive the benefits from these feats, but they count as prerequisites for other feats. You must still meet the feat prerequisites. The selected feats may not be stacked: the first selected feat may not be used as a prerequisite for the second selected feat.

This feat may be taken multiple times. If a feat is selected twice, you gain the benefits of that feat. However, this feat may not select itself.

---

Of course, you'd have to select another feat as well; I highly suggest using it for something like combat expertise.

Psyren
2015-07-10, 05:25 PM

---

Of course, you'd have to select another feat as well; I highly suggest using it for something like combat expertise.

Can your second feat from this be one that has the first feat as a requirement, or do you have to qualify for them both at the time that you make your selection?

StreamOfTheSky
2015-07-10, 10:10 PM
Just get it on your light armor via the +1 Mobility property in MIC.

If you're interested in making the feat useful, a tripping build with Elusive Target is pretty good as long as the enemies fall for it. You get a free trip (not even an AoO; and w/ Imp. Trip it can chain into a free attack!) every time you move out of a threatened space and the enemy misses his AoO on you.

You should also ask the DM about houseruling it to suck less. I made it add +4 AC vs. *any* attack of opportunity. Considering there's a feat to get +4 to hit on AoOs, that seemed quite reasonable. If he's not open to houseruling, at least openly question the fundamental understanding of what the feat does. Most assume it only applies to the AoO for moving out of a threatened space. But...the AoO for standing up from prone; the AoO for moving into a foe's space when you grapple, bull rush, or over run...are these not also "attacks of opportunity caused when you move out of or within a threatened area"? I've actually had DMs say no, which is crazy to me...but try and etch out any favorable rulings you can.

Sacrieur
2015-07-10, 10:40 PM
Can your second feat from this be one that has the first feat as a requirement, or do you have to qualify for them both at the time that you make your selection?

Heh, I thought about clarifying that, I suppose I should. I say no, you can't because it doesn't count as a prerequisite until after you take the feat. Nothing is stopping you from taking the feat twice though.

Nashira
2015-07-11, 12:29 AM

---

You might want to take a look at the wording here and say something like you cannot gain this feat from itself. One could easily infinite chain taking this feat to get any feat one meets the prereqs for by taking any one feat and this feat as the two granted feats. Then that first feat and this feat again and so on and so forth given that the second time a feat is taken its benefits are granted as well.

BWR
2015-07-11, 03:44 AM
Ask your DM if s/he will allow Dodge and Mobility to be condensed to a single feat. It's in no way overpowered and removes a highly annoying, mostly useless feat tax.

Sacrieur
2015-07-11, 08:29 AM
You might want to take a look at the wording here and say something like you cannot gain this feat from itself. One could easily infinite chain taking this feat to get any feat one meets the prereqs for by taking any one feat and this feat as the two granted feats. Then that first feat and this feat again and so on and so forth given that the second time a feat is taken its benefits are granted as well.

Yeah I thought about recursion before posting it.

But I didn't think of this. Man you guys are awesome. I'll go ahead and patch out all the problems.

Chronos
2015-07-11, 08:35 AM
And this is why game designers should use optimizers and theorycrafters as beta testers.

Sacrieur
2015-07-11, 08:40 AM
And this is why game designers should use optimizers and theorycrafters as beta testers.

Oh totally. I love it when people break my stuff, it's really fun to watch people think of stuff you didn't or interpret something a different way than you meant.

I did run the feat by my editor but he didn't really think much about it, just glanced at it. I suppose he mostly just paid attention to the wording. Even as 120% awesome as he is, he still doesn't catch everything. Before I publish anything as non-beta into my signature though, we spend a lot of time just talking about certain aspects, changing, and making small edits to the wording.

I really appreciate any and all input. Even if you think something is dumb! I get told "no" a lot by my editor too. Sometimes I'll bring up an idea and he'll shoot it down and bury the remains. But I mean it's all part of the creative process.

But hey OP if that's not what you need feel free to work with me on creating a (fair and balanced) way to remove the burden of the feat tax without rewriting the PHB. It's what we're working on right now.

geekintheground
2015-07-11, 12:32 PM
Oh totally. I love it when people break my stuff, it's really fun to watch people think of stuff you didn't or interpret something a different way than you meant.

I did run the feat by my editor but he didn't really think much about it, just glanced at it. I suppose he mostly just paid attention to the wording. Even as 120% awesome as he is, he still doesn't catch everything. Before I publish anything as non-beta into my signature though, we spend a lot of time just talking about certain aspects, changing, and making small edits to the wording.

I really appreciate any and all input. Even if you think something is dumb! I get told "no" a lot by my editor too. Sometimes I'll bring up an idea and he'll shoot it down and bury the remains. But I mean it's all part of the creative process.

But hey OP if that's not what you need feel free to work with me on creating a (fair and balanced) way to remove the burden of the feat tax without rewriting the PHB. It's what we're working on right now.

thanks, but i dont think it would be unless you could take at least part of a chain with it (dodge and mobility for example) but agree with you that the rules wouldnt really support it unless you specifically wrote the feat to do so, which i feel would be more difficult than it seems. but it IS a really cool feat and i'll keep it in mind in the future! im gonna try to do it with the items, wish me luck! and thank you again everybody, this forum is so helpful! <3