PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Gilgamesh Class: Help balancing

Thrathgnar
2015-07-10, 04:42 PM
Hello! I am trying to create a homebrew for a unique class that is balanced but still has my character concept, someone who can launch swords. This is a simple setup, with only two feats, let me know what you guys think.

Hit Dice: d8

Gate of Babylon: The user can fire a number of weapons equaling his level, each weapon doing 1d8 damage (no modifiers). His total stash a day is his level times 10, meaning he can use this ability ten times a day.

Unique Weapons: As a bonus action, the user can launch a magic item in addition to his normal weapons. The magic item does its normal affect.

How balanced is this? I may make the weapons on Gate of Babylon scale, or make lower damage for more uses. Also, should GoB be roll to hit or a save? Thoughts would be appreciated, I want to present this to a DM who is pretty laid back but I can't have it be too powerful. Thanks!

JNAProductions
2015-07-10, 04:53 PM
That... That isn't a class. It doesn't seem particularly powerful, but there's almost nothing to it.

In addition, what about attunement?

Thrathgnar
2015-07-10, 04:56 PM
That... That isn't a class. It doesn't seem particularly powerful, but there's almost nothing to it.

In addition, what about attunement?

Yeah its hard to describe what I want to do, it isn't a class, just a concept I want. And I forgot to add that, it would include being able to attune to anything

JNAProductions
2015-07-10, 04:58 PM
it would include being able to attune to anything

That, on its own, is overpowered.

And I think I get what you're trying to do. Let me try something.

Thrathgnar
2015-07-10, 04:59 PM
That, on its own, is overpowered.

And I think I get what you're trying to do. Let me try something.

Really? I'm trying to make it to where he relies more on his weapons than his own abilities, hence the lack of actual feats.

Thanks for the input!

JNAProductions
2015-07-10, 05:05 PM
Requirements
Two or more magic weapons
Extra Attack Class Feature

Hit die: d8

Level
Feature

Gate of Babylon

Improved Attunement

Improved Gate of Babylon

Ability Score Improvement

Perfected Attunement, Perfected Gate of Babylon

Gate of Babylon-As an action you can throw a number of weapons equal to your number of attacks. Each attack has a 20'/60' range and deals 1d8 points of damage. You can also throw a single magic weapon as a bonus action.

Improved Attunment-You can now attune to up to four magic items.

Improved Gate of Babylon-Your basic attack now deals 1d10 damage. In addition, weapons now return to you at the end of your turn.

Perfected Attunement-You can now attune to up to five magic items.

Perfected Gate of Babylon-Every thrown attack can now be a magic weapon.

That work as a five level Prestige Class?

Thrathgnar
2015-07-10, 05:12 PM
Requirements
Two or more magic weapons
Extra Attack Class Feature

Hit die: d8

Level
Feature

Gate of Babylon

Improved Attunement

Improved Gate of Babylon

Ability Score Improvement

Perfected Attunement, Perfected Gate of Babylon

Gate of Babylon-As an action you can throw a number of weapons equal to your number of attacks. Each attack has a 20'/60' range and deals 1d8 points of damage. You can also throw a single magic weapon as a bonus action.

Improved Attunment-You can now attune to up to four magic items.

Improved Gate of Babylon-Your basic attack now deals 1d10 damage. In addition, weapons now return to you at the end of your turn.

Perfected Attunement-You can now attune to up to five magic items.

Perfected Gate of Babylon-Every thrown attack can now be a magic weapon.

That work as a five level Prestige Class?

Hmm i really like the looks of this - the only change I would make is perhaps making each weapon a d4 and doubling the amount of attacks, just for flavor, as I want it to give it the sense of raining down weapons. This does seem very fitting though, thanks!

JNAProductions
2015-07-10, 05:15 PM
I think it's good as-is. That's a minor damage buff (.5 DPR per attack) and a huge reliability buff (4 attacks instead of 2).

You can ask your DM about switching it, but for the quote-on quote "Official" Prestige Class, 1d8 is better than two attacks at 1d4.

Thrathgnar
2015-07-10, 05:17 PM
I think it's good as-is. That's a minor damage buff (.5 DPR per attack) and a huge reliability buff (4 attacks instead of 2).

You can ask your DM about switching it, but for the quote-on quote "Official" Prestige Class, 1d8 is better than two attacks at 1d4.

Oh ok, I'm not too good with the math haha. I'll probably leave it at the d8, and just reflavor it to a rain of blows even though it'll only be like two lol. This will match the fighter class well - thanks for your help!

Ralanr
2015-07-10, 09:00 PM
I know the flavor of Gilgamesh is having all those ancient and mythological weapons, but does this really need bonus attunement? If you threw a flametongue then it might do its fire damage. I don't think Gilgamesh's weapons did anything close to their special powers since they were shot out at incredibly high speeds.

And he was too vain to bother fighting most of his opponents normally. I don't know the series enough beyond random youtube scenes and amvs.

Side note: Berserker is awesome and depressing. Black Knight one.

Thrathgnar
2015-07-10, 09:17 PM
I know the flavor of Gilgamesh is having all those ancient and mythological weapons, but does this really need bonus attunement? If you threw a flametongue then it might do its fire damage. I don't think Gilgamesh's weapons did anything close to their special powers since they were shot out at incredibly high speeds.

And he was too vain to bother fighting most of his opponents normally. I don't know the series enough beyond random youtube scenes and amvs.

You should check out more of the series, its really epic. The anime didn't really show it, but in the visual novel he actually used specific weapons with specific abilities. It is true though that he never particularly mastered any one weapon, which turned out to be a big weakness. That relates here, a Battle Master or Champion would be a lot stronger with their weapon of choice over Gilgamesh, who fires it without a second thought.

And yes, Fate/Zero berserker is one of my favorite characters and served as a base for an NPC in two campaigns I have DMed

Silva Stormrage
2015-07-10, 10:40 PM

No he actually can use them with their abilities he just rarely does. He also isn't that skilled with them but he can activate most of them if he knows what they do. He uses them more to a decent extend in Fate/Kaelid when he doesn't have his full treasury with him.