PDA

View Full Version : Dissonant Whispers Opportunity Attack

Kryx
2015-07-10, 04:51 PM
Opportunity Attack Rules

You also don’t provoke an opportunity attack when you teleport or when someone or something moves you without using your movement, action, or reaction.

Dissonant Whispers

On a failed save, it takes 3d6 psychic damage and must immediately use its reaction, if available, to move as far as its speed allows away from you. The creature doesn't move into obviously dangerous ground, such as a fire or a pit.

Does Dissonant Whispers cause the creature to provoke opportunity attacks?

Follow up: Should it?

Easy_Lee
2015-07-10, 05:00 PM
Unsure of the intent, but I believe it does by RAW since the creature uses its reaction to move and does not appear to take the disengage action as part of it.

As to whether it should, it makes for an interesting combo. Since DW is a leveled spell, and thus has a resource cost, I think it's fine.

GiantOctopodes
2015-07-10, 05:05 PM
Opportunity Attack Rules

Dissonant Whispers

I'm inclined to say yes and no, respectively. In terms of why it should not, forced movement generally does not provoke AoOs, and beyond that general principle (which despite its oddity, I would definitely still consider this forced movement), I'd argue that moving into a square wherein you provoke an attack is *at least* as dangerous of ground as fire or a pit. Now, that being said, the AoO limitation calls out that you don't draw an AoO if something moves you without using your movement, action, or reaction, and this definitely uses your reaction, as such it does not qualify for that exclusion. It's the difference between enchantment effects (such as this or dominate) and things like shoving, repelling blast, thorn whip etc. The theory is that the creature is semi-willingly moving, and as such draws AoOs as normal, at least as far as I can gather up the intent behind it.

Ramshack
2015-07-10, 05:47 PM
I'm inclined to say it would, as the creature does use it's movement to walk/run away and more importantly this movement uses the creature's reaction. And the rules for opportunity attacks state don't provoke an opportunity attack if you do not use your movement, action or reaction. I think it adds an interesting mechanic to the spell and makes the player think tactically about it's use. I always encourage creative thinking and use of spells. So while I think the answer could be up to interpretation, i think the rules support it and I would allow it at my table.

Opportunity Attack Rules
Quote Originally Posted by PHB 195
You also don’t provoke an opportunity attack when you teleport or when someone or something moves you without using your movement, action, or reaction.

Ruslan
2015-07-10, 05:48 PM
It becomes clearer if you bold the right parts.

On a failed save, it takes 3d6 psychic damage and must immediately use its reaction, if available, to move as far as its speed allows away from you. The creature doesn't move into obviously dangerous ground, such as a fire or a pit.

On a failed save, the creature uses its reaction to move. Therefore, the clause about moving without using your reaction does not apply. DW movement provokes attacks of opportunity just like any other movement. This appears to be a feature, not a bug.

Kryx
2015-07-10, 07:30 PM
I pretty much knew the answer already, hence me including the rules. I was curious what others thought and how they would choose to run it.

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-11, 06:33 AM
Opportunity Attack Rules

Dissonant Whispers

Your first question, yes.
Your second question, I think so.