PDA

View Full Version : Anime-Style Cinematic Fantasy Games?

HolyCouncilMagi
2015-07-10, 05:28 PM
I'm just looking for some good cinematic high-fantasy games. I'm not totally opposed to a supers game, though I know for certain Mutants & Masterminds wouldn't work for this. I'm looking for something with more an anime form of cinematic appeal, rather than a comic book sort. Yes, I know these are sort of contradictory qualifications, since most games with the anime style of cinematic appeal avoid the western fantasy tropes... Then again, I don't necessarily need something that feels like western fantasy, just high-fantasy.

What are some of the best systems in this group?

Closet_Skeleton
2015-07-10, 05:31 PM
There's Tenra Bansho Zero and Anima: Beyond Fantasy, but I haven't really played or read either of them. Anima is table heavy from what I read so I have no idea how well it actually plays.

There's always Exalted.

There are a lot of high fantasy anime so I'm not sure why anime-styled games would by different.

Lord Raziere
2015-07-10, 05:37 PM
There's always Exalted.

Do you mean 2e? cause I wouldn't recommend that. its REALLY easy to break and cause a very-uncinematic thing to happen, and 2.5e is only mildly better and requires you to shift through a lot of errata. just saying.

TBZ.....I wouldn't know, I only skimmed the book, but it sounds like it'll work.

Anima Beyond Fantasy....has a lot of crunch to go through during character creation. I don't know about the actual playing of it though, but I have heard that anyone who don't take ether magic, ki or psychic powers ain't gonna keep up well with those who do. just saying.

sorry if I'm not more help...

TheCountAlucard
2015-07-10, 05:49 PM
When the shiny new third edition of Exalted comes out, I suggest you give it a look.

Alternatively, you could adapt Chuubo's Marvelous Wish-Granting Engine.

Arbane
2015-07-10, 07:22 PM
If you want a kung-fu intensive game, Legends of the Wulin might be a good choice. I've seen several write ups of 'animeque' games run in it that look awesome.
If you want a fairly kitchen-sink-y (magic, gun-fu, kung-fu, monsters, and cyborg gorillas) high-action game Feng Shui is good, and has a new edition out now.
If you want giant robots, Mekton.
For silly comedy, I think Teenagers from Out Space is still available.

golentan
2015-07-10, 07:25 PM
Ignore the hater(s) of Exalted. For some reason it's really popular among the fandom to hate on it, despite the fact I've never had a problem with actual play. Use errata, when in doubt always defer to rule of cool, and I think you'll find it to your needs.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-07-10, 07:52 PM
Do you mean 2e? cause I wouldn't recommend that. its REALLY easy to break and cause a very-uncinematic thing to happen, and 2.5e is only mildly better and requires you to shift through a lot of errata. just saying.

TBZ.....I wouldn't know, I only skimmed the book, but it sounds like it'll work.

Anima Beyond Fantasy....has a lot of crunch to go through during character creation. I don't know about the actual playing of it though, but I have heard that anyone who don't take ether magic, ki or psychic powers ain't gonna keep up well with those who do. just saying.

sorry if I'm not more help...

While that is true, there is no reason not to take some sort of supernatural abilities as the game progresses. All of the magic/psychic classes are pretty strong on their own (though Wizard Mentalist is stupidly strong, even compared to other magic users) and picking up Ki abilities with the other classes is trivial.

Anyway, Anima is a rules heavy system and it might be difficult to understand fully in English, the game was written in Spanish originally and I've heard the English translation is awful, but despite this it is a really enjoyable, versatile and fun game in my experience. My group just finished a 5 year long campaign that took us from level 2 to level 12-13ish. We went from being simple warriors to becoming gods.

TheCountAlucard
2015-07-10, 07:53 PM
Ignore the hater(s) of Exalted.If there were any here, that'd be easy. I like the hell out of Exalted. That's why I anticipate the third edition so eagerly.

For some reason it's really popular among the fandom to hate on it, despite the fact I've never had a problem with actual play.You didn't have any problems with your Pinto, but folks who got into rear-end collisions with theirs have been burned by it, and it's not unreasonable for them to hope that the next thing down the pipe isn't as likely to burst into flames, no matter how stylish the Pinto looked.

Lord Raziere
2015-07-10, 08:02 PM
If there were any here, that'd be easy. I like the hell out of Exalted. That's why I anticipate the third edition so eagerly.

You didn't have any problems with your Pinto, but folks who got into rear-end collisions with theirs have been burned by it, and it's not unreasonable for them to hope that the next thing down the pipe isn't as likely to burst into flames.

Agreed. I don't hate Exalted, I'm just giving people fair warning about trying the current system as is.

I'd also warn people who want to play DnD about alignment issues and the class imbalance thing even though I like Eberron, warn people about the very crunchy character creation system in Anima Beyond Fantasy even though I'd LOVE to play the setting myself, and Legends of the Wulin I've heard takes HOURs to resolve combat even though it is cool.

@ Dusk Eclipse:
well cool I'd just wish I had your luck in getting a group to play it with. I have three cool character concepts I want to play in that setting and it seems like they will never see the light of day of their full potential at this rate.

Dusk Eclipse
2015-07-10, 08:26 PM
Sorry to hear that, weirdly enough I have the exact same problem with PF. My group pretty much only plays anima or 5e (which I don't like very much, though my exposure is limited) so I have tons of character for PF that I want to use but I can't.

And yeah the setting is awesome, though at times, it feels like the Author is writing a story rather than a game (specially in the world-building books, true some information on the setting is awesome, but I expect some mechanics at the very least; It is a rulebook for pete' sake!)

aspekt
2015-07-11, 01:29 AM
BESM was built for this. Though I would recommend the Tri-stat version over the later d20 rules.

Honestly I think the Tri-stat system may be available in its generic form for free (as in beer) online.

Closet_Skeleton
2015-07-11, 03:17 AM
Tri-stat system BESM is basically a character creation system with a few resolution mechanics. Its great for making anything you want but I can barely consider it a game, it requires you to to mostly free form and the combat isn't interesting. But I haven't read the latest version which was by a new company and supposed to be a much better product.

d20 BESM is a mess.

Do you mean 2e? cause I wouldn't recommend that.

I'd never recommend Exalted, but this looked like a suggestions thread more than a recommendations thread.

For some reason it's really popular among the fandom to hate on it, despite the fact I've never had a problem with actual play.

I dislike it tonally, but that was to a "couldn't get through this to understand it properly" level so I don't consider my opinion valid.

dream
2015-07-11, 07:36 AM
define "cinematic High-Fantasy" as it relates to Anime. Is it a modern setting? Ancient-like? Gritty-cinema or comic?

*shrug*

GURPS.

Arbane
2015-07-11, 01:11 PM
define "cinematic High-Fantasy" as it relates to Anime. Is it a modern setting? Ancient-like? Gritty-cinema or comic?

Record of Lodoss Wars?

Oh, wait. There's already a game for that. :smallbiggrin:

ZenoForce88
2015-07-12, 04:35 AM
If you don't mind something more "Universal" there is always OVA: The Anime Roleplaying Game by Wise turtle. It may take some getting used to get keep from breaking it. As it is very easy to break, while following the rules. So there's a good deal of GM Upkeep.

Nepenthe
2015-07-12, 02:11 PM
Valor (http://valorousgames.com/) has a status condition for "launched." Enough said.