PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Grig Disguise Self SLA

Rensalorath
2015-07-10, 06:50 PM
I am making a 3.5 grig bard for a current game. I am doing ok with all the mechanical aspects of the it, excpet for one thing.

How can a grig benefit from their Disguise Self SLA?

As I read the spell description, I am hung up on the phrases, "you can not change your body type," and "a human caster could look human, humanoid, or like any other human-shaped bipedal creature."

Perhaps I am being too literal, but I don't see how a grig could disguise himself as anything other than a different grig, a small hybsil, or a miniature centaur.

Does anybody else have suggestions or see something I am missing?

Invader
2015-07-10, 09:13 PM
I am making a 3.5 grig bard for a current game. I am doing ok with all the mechanical aspects of the it, excpet for one thing.

How can a grig benefit from their Disguise Self SLA?

As I read the spell description, I am hung up on the phrases, "you can not change your body type," and "a human caster could look human, humanoid, or like any other human-shaped bipedal creature."

Perhaps I am being too literal, but I don't see how a grig could disguise himself as anything other than a different grig, a small hybsil, or a miniature centaur.

Does anybody else have suggestions or see something I am missing?

No you're right, it's really not all that useful for a grig.

Rensalorath
2015-07-10, 09:38 PM
No you're right, it's really not all that useful for a grig.

That was what I thought. Poor design, in my opinion.

I agree that an illusory disguise is good for the theme of a sprite. It is just that the one that was chosen happens to be rather limited in application for the race in question.

(shrugs)

Inevitability
2015-07-11, 04:00 AM
I'd say they use it for pranks. They can disguise themselves to look like any other grig, cause trouble, then watch how someone else is blamed for it.

Rensalorath
2015-07-11, 11:00 PM
I'd say they use it for pranks. They can disguise themselves to look like any other grig, cause trouble, then watch how someone else is blamed for it.

(smiles) I could see that. Interesting take on it.

Rensalorath
2015-07-29, 06:30 PM
I have done a little more research, and I realized that I was looking at this all wrong. I got too hung up on the picture of the grig as illustrated in the 3.5 Monster Manual.

Reviewing the text specifically, "with the wings, antennae, and legs of a cricket", coupled with the fact that most pics online are humanoid shaped, I have come to the conclusion that it doesn't have to be a centaur like body.

In fact, this is my favorite picture I found. http://jimnelsonart.blogspot.com/2012/06/grig.html

With this mental adjustment, the Disguise Self SLA is more useful. He could pretend to be a child, a small halfling, a goblin, etc.

Any thoughts on that?