PDA

View Full Version : Ciel Phantomhive

Avigor
2015-07-10, 08:06 PM
If one wanted to create this character in 3.5, complete with Sebastion, how would one do this? I'm thinking Fiendbinder looks appropriate, albeit I'm not sure if it's the best way...

And yes I'm aware of the Pathfinder's Summoner after my google-fu found it as a proposed method on some random forum, but I'd rather stick with 3.5 as that's what I know...

SangoProduction
2015-07-10, 08:48 PM
I doubt Ciel actually had any 3.5 class levels, as he neither fights or cast spells. If he did, they were likely in the form of the NPC class level: Expert. He'd have taken the Fearless feat at first level.

Then he sells his soul to Sabastian so that the demon does all the fighting.

atemu1234
2015-07-10, 09:10 PM
I doubt Ciel actually had any 3.5 class levels, as he neither fights or cast spells. If he did, they were likely in the form of the NPC class level: Expert. He'd have taken the Fearless feat at first level.

Excuse me, Aristocrat.

Avigor
2015-07-10, 10:49 PM

Well, Ciel does do that whole remove the eyepatch and order Sebastian to win thing, which feels to me like some sort of buff effect...

DMVerdandi
2015-07-10, 10:54 PM
Originally I was going to suggest some pitter-patter of classes, but honestly...

Erudite 10/Thrallherd 10
Take Convert spell to power ACF.
As far as feats, take ones that grant extra skills and modify them.

Once you get "the butler" as a thrall(Level 11), make him a Half-Fiend(Human) Factotum 6.
Continue as a factotum.

With the Master, Have him learn very subtle powers and spells. Clairsentience and telepathy powers, and Divination, Abjuration, Illusion, and enchantment spells.

Renen
2015-07-10, 11:00 PM
Problem is that Ciel has absolutely zero magical power. Him knowing divination is out of the question if you want to stick close to the actual Ciel.

As for the eyepatch, I am pretty sure it's not a buff he does. He just cracks the proverbial whip, making Sebastian obey an exact command, versus just being a Butler. Meaning that usually he just protects kinda casually, holds back alot, etc. But he can't disobey a direct command, and likely can't hold back as much if directly ordered to do his best to kill someone. I do believe when he took his demon form and was at his max shown power, he wasn't even ordered, he just decided to stop ******* around. (if I remember all that right)

DMVerdandi
2015-07-11, 12:06 AM
Problem is that Ciel has absolutely zero magical power. Him knowing divination is out of the question if you want to stick close to the actual Ciel.

As for the eyepatch, I am pretty sure it's not a buff he does. He just cracks the proverbial whip, making Sebastian obey an exact command, versus just being a Butler. Meaning that usually he just protects kinda casually, holds back alot, etc. But he can't disobey a direct command, and likely can't hold back as much if directly ordered to do his best to kill someone. I do believe when he took his demon form and was at his max shown power, he wasn't even ordered, he just decided to stop ******* around. (if I remember all that right)

Well, yeah he doesn't canonically, BUT, it's a lot easier to give oneself that option than not.
I mean, you could go really bare-bones, and take Aristocrat like Atemu said, and just take leadership, but you'd be pretty weak.

And I am not saying to take the STP erudite to be OP or anything, but it gives a lot of depth, without necessarily giving a bunch of range. You get MAX 13 powers that you can manifest per day (without getting into the bull about UPPD. Standard is what's on the graph).

Lets work with 5 for now.
1.Mental Barrier (Clairsentience)
Fluff as being hyper-observant and concerned with defense and self-protection

2.Divination, Psionic (Clairsentience)
Consulting one's own consciousness about facts that might have been stumbled upon.
Ciel is very deductive in his reasoning so this is not far fetched at all

3.Dominate, Psionic (Telepathy)
Exerting his Noblesse Oblige

4.Detect Thoughts (Divination)
Again, using powers of deduction to read patterns in speech, body language, etc.

5.Fabricate (Transmutation)
He is a toy-maker.

Anyhow, The turn of the century english setting is FAR less magical than greyhawk, so taking away any association to the supernatural to try and emulate a character in a setting drastically different than the base setting of the game is an exercise in futility.
In making him an erudite, he doesn't have to participate in hocus-pocus, but can instead have a supernormal quality, displaying above the norm talent without necessarily using vocal,somatic,or material components.

I would say focus on the divinations for his investigator type role, the enchantments because of his status and willingness to use others, illusions just based on his ability to deceive, and abjurations as his ability to use logic and reason to shut down people's attempts to harm him.

If OP does want to give him Just a little punch, I suggest the Shadow Evocation and Conjuration spells.
He is known for using deception and trickery as a weapon.

Forrestfire
2015-07-11, 12:16 AM
I would stat up Sebastian as a powerful character, then take Leadership and use Ciel as a low-level follower, with Ciel's other employees as the cohort and high-level followers.

RP as Ceil (since it's a fair thing to do, and the DMG has suggestions on letting PCs RP NPCs like that) and use the main "character" as the terrifying demon butler.