PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class KoDT69's total base class change - like we needed another!

KoDT69
2015-07-10, 09:15 PM
OK here is the entire list of changes for general rules:

MECHANICS

Hit Points – Everything gets maximum hit points per hit die.
Speed – All characters and creatures gain +2ft speed per DEX modifier
Flanking – All flankers gain +1 to attack and damage rolls for each threatening flanker
Skills – There are no restrictions on class skills anymore since that is severely limiting
Iterative Attacks – Iterative attacks will be made at the full attack bonus. Decreasing bonuses are stupid.

The full-attack and Flurry of Blows actions will be considered Standard Actions, making it easier to apply in combat.

All spellcasting classes gain Eschew Materials as a bonus feat. Spells with rare and/or expensive material components will still be required, but who really wants to dig up mandrake roots and sulfur to make a 20-point fireball?

Leadership will no longer require feats. It never did before and doesn’t make sense. Followers will be gained as the storyline allows. Benefits of Epic Leadership and Legendary Commander will also be granted when it makes sense.

COMBINED SKILLS - I did this way before Pathfinder was a thing!
Appraise (INT)
Acrobatics – Balance, Tumble, Escape Artist (DEX)
Athletics – Climb, Jump, Swim (STR)
Concentration (CON)
Craft (INT)
Deception – Disguise, Forgery (INT)
Decipher Script (INT)
Disable Device – Disable Device, Open Lock (INT)
Handle Animal – Handle Animal, Animal Empathy, Ride (CHA)
Heal (WIS)
Influence – Diplomacy, Gather Information, Sense Motive (CHA)
Knowledge (INT)
Manipulation – Bluff, Intimidate (CHA)
Perception – Listen, Smell, Spot (WIS)
Perform (CHA)
Profession (WIS)
Search (INT)
Sleight of Hand (DEX)
Spellcraft – Spellcraft, Use Magic Device, Item Identification,
Detecting Magic (INT)
Stealth – Hide, Move Silently (DEX)
Survival – Survival, Use Rope (WIS)

KoDT69
2015-07-10, 10:03 PM
Class features as listed can be from any PrC that the PC could have qualified for. This is an attempt to add flavor and utility to the base class with requiring PrC's as a whole. They can still be taken though as normal. Also, I understand some abilities are more powerful than others. This is not a balancing tool in any way - I know all about class power disparity. This is about fun and customizable characters, period.

Invocations as listed are a spell of the appropriate spell list that the character can cast at-will without spell components. Yes, potential abuse, but I got this under control. The Duskblade will shocking Grasp every commoner to death and be Teh Uberest Murder-Hobo for realzies!

Barbarian
Increased damage resistance 1/level (Barbarian Level/-)
Bonus feats every 4 levels
bonus class features every 5 levels
Mettle @ 3rd, Improved Mettle @ 9th
Strong Reflex Save

Bard
slightly increased number of spells known
Invocations - 0 level @2, 1st level @5, 2nd level @10, 3rd level @15, 4th level @20

Cleric
Bonus class features every 5 levels
Bonus domains (of their deity or ally deity if story allows) every 9 levels
Does not prepare spells, but casts freely from the entire list! What almighty divine power can't give you a Death Ward or Restoration on the fly? It makes sense to me anyway.

Druid
Bonus class features every 5 levels
Does not prepare spells, but casts freely from the entire list!
--- If you were expecting another bonus for Druids think again! :smallbiggrin:

Fighter - EVERYONE'S SECOND FAVORITE CLASS!!!11!
BaB increased to 1.5. his beast can manage 6 primary attacks minimum by level 20 @ +30 :smallcool:
Adaptive training - can use downtime to retrain any physical feats with 8 hours per feat
Bonus feats every level - not restricted to the typical "Fighter Bonus Feat" list
Class features at 1st then every 4 levels
All 3 STRONG saving throws -Fighter is supposed to take punishment to protect others, he should be able to do it! I also have a few custom class features that allow him to tank better.

Monk - OMG WHY EVEN BOTHER AMIRIGHT??????
Full BaB, Flurry is Standard Action
Dodge AC Bonus = 1/2 Monk Level (maybe it will help????)
bonus feats every even level (2,4,6,8...)
class features every 5 levels

Paladin
Given an ability similar to the Crusader's damage pool thing - but I did it first yo!
Bonus feats starting at 2nd then one every 4 levels after (2,6,10,14,18)
Lay on Hands is replaced with a ranged healing touch SLA similar to Eldritch Blast, except healing (1/2 level x 1d6) + CHA modifier
Changed Remove Disease to Remove Status meaning curses, diseases, level/ability drain, petrification, etc
Invocations - 1st level @7, 2nd level @13, 3rd level @19

Ranger
Every even level 2-10 grants a standard Terrain Mastery from Horizon Walker
Every even level 12-20 grants a Planar Terrain Mastery
bonus feats every 3 levels
Invocations - 1st level @7, 2nd level @14, 3rd level @19

Rogue
Dodge AC bonus = 1/2 Rogue level
+2 competence bonus to a skill at every odd level (1,3,5...) stackable
Elusive Target @6th
Bonus feats at 2,4,6
Special abilities @ 8,10,12,14,16,18,20

Sorcerer
Spontaneous casting does not increase metamagic time - that's a crap rule
Gain new spell levels same time as all the other cool kids (full casters)
Gains Eldritch Blast ability, but force damage as opposed to fire
Increased spells known
Armored Caster (light) @ 1st, (medium) @ 10th
bonus feats every 4 levels
Invocations - 0 level @2, 1st level @ 4, 2nd level @8, 3rd level @12, 4th level @16, 5th level @20

Wizard
changed their bonus feats from every 5 to every 4 levels
Gain Craft Limited Use Item @ 1st (scrolls, staves, wands, stuff with charges)
Gain Craft Wondrous Item @ 3rd
Gain Efficient Artificer @ 7th (reduce craft time by 50%)

KoDT69
2015-07-10, 10:18 PM
Favored Soul
Scrap the entire existing FS and replace with this version. Same as the Sorcerer except Divine spells, and can wear Armor like the Cleric.
Gains Healing Blast ability, like Eldritch Blast except a healing ability, obviously
Invocations - 0 level @2, 1st level @ 4, 2nd level @8, 3rd level @12, 4th level @16, 5th level @20

Natural Emissary
The Druid version of the Sorcerer minus the Eldritch Blast because... Wild Shape. Retains the entire Druid class except it has limited spells known and gains Invocations - 0 level @2, 1st level @ 4, 2nd level @8, 3rd level @12, 4th level @16, 5th level @20
Basically trading spell versatility for increased spells per day and Invocations

Duskblade
Moved Channel ability to 1st level and added Arcane Strike
All other existing class features moved 2 levels sooner
Access to the full Arcane spell list
Class features every 5 levels
Invocations - 0 level @5, 1st level @10, 2nd level @15, 3rd level @20

Dawnblade
I know there is a class with this name but I use this instead. Divine version of Duskblade except:
Divine spells, can wear armor as a Cleric, gains open class features at the levels that the Duskblade gets Armored Caster features

nonsi
2015-07-11, 07:35 AM
Skills – There are no restrictions on class skills anymore since that is severely limiting

I find this approach to hurt fluff a bit, but no biggie.

Iterative Attacks – Iterative attacks will be made at the full attack bonus. Decreasing bonuses are stupid.

Actually, Iterative attacks having lower hit chances makes a lot of sense.
Attack rolls are an abstraction. I tend to view them as combining:
1. The opportunity to make an attack in the first place.
2. The chances to score a hit.
Making an attack requires your attention and momentum - while doing your best at avoiding getting hit. once you've made your attack, you now need to set the conditions to make a second weapon swing. Even for veteran warriors, this doesn't happen all the time, and when it does - you have to compensate for the momentum from the previous swing.

Leadership will no longer require feats. It never did before and doesn’t make sense. Followers will be gained as the storyline allows. Benefits of Epic Leadership and Legendary Commander will also be granted when it makes sense.

Careful to avoid spamming of Leadership. I'm not sure you'd really want a game where everybody has a cohort.
Or at least check out the Feats section in my 3.5e Overhaul project and see how I handle Leadership.

Deception – Disguise, Forgery (INT)

I doubt those are related in any way (even though they combine nicely to advance the same purpose).
Forgery is about documentations, not appearance or body language.

Influence – Diplomacy, Gather Information, Sense Motive (CHA)

Diplomacy is what you say and how you behave.
Sense Motive is how you read others' attempts to mislead you. It's not an influence at all.
Gather Information is an imaginary skill created to simplify the game. usually I'm very much against such design tactics, but I wouldn't want to get my hands dirty in trying to figure out how I really need to use other skills (Bluff/Diplomacy/Intimidate/Sense Motive etc.) to achieve the same effect.

Stealth – Hide, Move Silently (DEX)

Those two were separated in the core rules (and rightfully so) to avoid spamming stealth.
Stealth should be hard to achieve.

nonsi
2015-07-11, 08:14 AM
Invocations as listed are a spell of the appropriate spell list that the character can cast at-will without spell components. Yes, potential abuse, but I got this under control. The Duskblade will shocking Grasp every commoner to death and be Teh Uberest Murder-Hobo for realzies!

Is it all spells of a given level, or a certain amount of known spells?

Barbarian
Increased damage resistance 1/level (Barbarian Level/-)
Strong Reflex Save

I'd drop DR to 1/2 level, but other than that, very nice.

Bard
slightly increased number of spells known
Invocations - 0 level @2, 1st level @5, 2nd level @10, 3rd level @15, 4th level @20

Seems solid.

Cleric / Druid
Does not prepare spells, but casts freely from the entire list! What almighty divine power can't give you a Death Ward or Restoration on the fly? It makes sense to me anyway.

holy cheesecake factory :smalleek:
Official CoDZilla now cries itself to sleep at night.

Fighter - EVERYONE'S SECOND FAVORITE CLASS!!!11!
BaB increased to 1.5. his beast can manage 6 primary attacks minimum by level 20 @ +30 :smallcool:
Adaptive training - can use downtime to retrain any physical feats with 8 hours per feat
Bonus feats every level - not restricted to the typical "Fighter Bonus Feat" list
Class features at 1st then every 4 levels
All 3 STRONG saving throws -Fighter is supposed to take punishment to protect others, he should be able to do it! I also have a few custom class features that allow him to tank better.

BAB increase is not the way to go. It breaks game mechanics and is needless.
Adaptive training - Instead of retraining feats like spellcasters memorize, consider adding floating feat slots with level progression that allow taking feats whose prereqs are met.
Class features at 1st - What could that be?
Mettle - not every martial dude is a powerhouse of resistance.
What about some more class skills and more skill points?!

Monk - OMG WHY EVEN BOTHER AMIRIGHT??????
Full BaB, Flurry is Standard Action
Dodge AC Bonus = 1/2 Monk Level (maybe it will help????)
bonus feats every even level (2,4,6,8...)

Ok, I guess. But the core monk just doesn't have enough tricks to not be boring.

Paladin
Given an ability similar to the Crusader's damage pool thing - but I did it first yo!
Bonus feats starting at 2nd then one every 4 levels after (2,6,10,14,18)
Lay on Hands is replaced with a ranged healing touch SLA similar to Eldritch Blast, except healing (1/2 level x 1d6) + CHA modifier
Changed Remove Disease to Remove Status meaning curses, diseases, level/ability drain, petrification, etc
Invocations - 1st level @7, 2nd level @13, 3rd level @19

Ranged healing touch is bad thematically, and mercies could make you more useful on the overall.

Ranger
Every even level 2-10 grants a standard Terrain Mastery from Horizon Walker
Every even level 12-20 grants a Planar Terrain Mastery
bonus feats every 3 levels
Invocations - 1st level @7, 2nd level @14, 3rd level @19

Yes. Now it finally starts feeling like a ranger should feel.
I'd limit the invocations only to effects that affect the Ranger's martial combat.

Rogue
Dodge AC bonus = 1/2 Rogue level
+2 competence bonus to a skill at every odd level (1,3,5...) stackable
Elusive Target @6th
Bonus feats at 2,4,6
Special abilities @ 8,10,12,14,16,18,20

Very nice, but still weak on the overall.
Needs more special abilities and improvement of some of them (I'm looking at you in particular, "defensive Roll").
Needs increased skill-tricks capacity and some free skill-tricks.

Sorcerer
Gains Eldritch Blast ability, but force damage as opposed to fire
Increased spells known
Armored Caster (light) @ 1st, (medium) @ 10th

Full arcane caster in armor just kills the image. Find another way for them to defend themselves (maybe draw from Dungeonscape).

Wizard
changed their bonus feats from every 5 to every 4 levels
Gain Craft Limited Use Item @ 1st (scrolls, staves, wands, stuff with charges)
Gain Craft Wondrous Item @ 3rd
Gain Efficient Artificer @ 7th (reduce craft time by 50%)

Given the Sorc. changes, this is definitely acceptable.

In general, given that a lot of PrCs require multiclassing, consider changing flexible features from every 5 class-level to every 5 character-level.

nonsi
2015-07-11, 11:28 AM
Favored Soul
Scrap the entire existing FS and replace with this version. Same as the Sorcerer except Divine spells, and can wear Armor like the Cleric.
Gains Healing Blast ability, like Eldritch Blast except a healing ability, obviously

If you're gonna go with "Spontaneous casting does not increase metamagic time", then it's only fair that you let prepared casters apply metamagic on-the-fly.
Otherwise, with the increased known spells + invocations, spont. casters gain too much of an advantage.

Favored Soul
Duskblade
Moved Channel ability to 1st level and added Arcane Strike
All other existing class features moved 2 levels sooner
Access to the full Arcane spell list
Class features every 5 levels
Invocations - 0 level @5, 1st level @10, 2nd level @15, 3rd level @20

I need to see it all in a table to evaluate, but we'll drop that for now.
In the meantime, in a rules-lite game, this is my ideal Duskblade fix (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B88TfgMQt7LTb1pWc2JmNHEwZjA/view?usp=sharing).

Favored Soul
Dawnblade
I know there is a class with this name but I use this instead. Divine version of Duskblade except:
Divine spells, can wear armor as a Cleric, gains open class features at the levels that the Duskblade gets Armored Caster features

Your Duskblade-Dawnblade symmetry makes me almost sorry that I don't have them in my overhaul codex (almost, because they're manageable via carefully planned character builds).

KoDT69
2015-07-11, 10:10 PM
I appreciate your honest and thorough feedback nonsi. You seem like a very nice and intelligent person that I wish I had at my game table! I will try my best to address all points.

Iterative attacks....
I understand the basic principle but as I have seen in actual fights that the lesser attack can actually be what causes the opening for a much more damaging follow-up, or unfortunately sometimes allows a massive counterattack. Either way you look at it though, the Fighter types job is to hit things and I feel they should be able to do it consistently. I started in AD&D where all attacks had the same bonus and it worked for over a decade at my table :smallbiggrin:

spamming of Leadership...
This is actually not possible. My wording was unclear but the followers are gained at times as the story may benefit from it. If a player really wants then we either work it in, or they can hire their help :smallsmile:

Forgery...
Forgery may not be about body language in a classic sense, but handwriting is a physical action relating to the mentality of the writer, so I don't think it's too much of a stretch to combine them. The simple fact is that I have never had a player forge anything so I guess the point may be moot anyway?

Diplomacy...
I agree with you but a lot of things either don't come up much as skill rolls because I usually make the players act out the social stuff anyway.

Gather Information...
Yes it is an imaginary skill created to simplify the game. I keep this action to roleplaying as stated above. Too many social type skills are just a waste of time IMHO.

spamming stealth...
I just ask for more frequent rolls. You have a good point though on the separation, but Pathfinder agrees with me, not that it counts for anything :smallconfused:

KoDT69
2015-07-11, 10:16 PM
let prepared casters apply metamagic on-the-fly...
Open to suggestion here. Spontaneous could always apply metamagics on-the-fly, what I'm changing is that rule where the spontaneous spell is a full round casting time.

Increased known spells + invocations, spont. casters gain too much of an advantage...
Batman Wizard still beats all. I just stepped up The other casters who have limited resources.

Your Duskblade-Dawnblade symmetry makes me almost sorry that I don't have them in my overhaul codex...
Thanks! I just figured that there should be equivalent classes of each style. That one seemed obvious to me!

KoDT69
2015-07-11, 10:37 PM
Invocations - Is it all spells of a given level, or a certain amount of known spells?
It is a single spell of UP TO the listed level gained. So a Duskblade at level 10 has a 0 level and a 1st level invocation. Not gamebreaking, not spectacular, but something of utility to fall back on. All choices must be DM approved to prevent abuse.

Barbarian - I'd drop DR to 1/2 level, but other than that, very nice.
Thanks! I wanted the scary damage soaker to really get good at what he was SUPPOSED to be able to do.

Bard - Seems solid.
Thanks again :smallwink: I actually love Bards.

Cleric - holy cheesecake factory :smalleek: Official CoDZilla now cries itself to sleep at night.
In TO yes, in actual gameplay half their spells end up used to fix others. I actually have been doing this for 20 years and I still have trouble getting anybody but me to actually play a Cleric!

Fighter - BAB increase is not the way to go.
His only job is to be able to hit things. Open to suggestion as to what to do with the Fighter in general. I don't currently have a player using this class so changes would not be disruptive to the current game :smallbiggrin:

Monk - Ok, I guess. But the core monk just doesn't have enough tricks to not be boring.
Fair enough. I literally put 4 seconds of thought into the Monk, and did it at the end. I have tried too many times and the class is just a wasted concept no matter what I've done. The last time I had somebody play one, they jumped into a red dragon's mouth as it breathed fire so they could roll up something else!

Paladin - Ranged healing touch is bad thematically
I love the idea of the Paladin, but the WoTC approach is just bad IMHO. I wanted him to be able to heal without leaving the front-line melee, or be able to charge a running foe and still be able to heal an ally without running back.

Ranger - Now it finally starts feeling like a ranger should feel.
Thanks. This one felt quite natural to me when I sat down to do Ranger it was just kind of obvious. My Ranger player really loves it.

Rogue - Needs more special abilities and improvement of some of them... skill-tricks...
Open to suggestions here. The Rogue has always been one of my favorite classes. Skill tricks are nice, but my players can use them freely. I don't make them use character resources to obtain them. Skill tricks have always been a thing I did for my players anyway, even in AD&D.

Sorcerer - Full arcane caster in armor just kills the image.
I figure being more naturally skilled at magic should allow this, but that's my opinion. Also, Hennet the WotC sample Sorcerer sure looks as if he's wearing some light leather armor to me.

Wizard - Given the Sorc. changes, this is definitely acceptable.
Thanks. I wanted to give something but not too much to Wizard. They pretty much already have everything anyway as evident in every TO discussion on the internets :smallwink:

Consider changing flexible features from every 5 class-level to every 5 character-level
That's actually a really good idea. I will go ahead and do that since that seems to have been a uniform idea I had been rolling with anyway :smalltongue:

nonsi
2015-07-12, 12:27 AM
let prepared casters apply metamagic on-the-fly...
Open to suggestion here. Spontaneous could always apply metamagics on-the-fly, what I'm changing is that rule where the spontaneous spell is a full round casting time.

Yes. I got your intention correctly.
Suggestion below.

Increased known spells + invocations, spont. casters gain too much of an advantage...
Batman Wizard still beats all. I just stepped up The other casters who have limited resources.

On the discussion boards - yes.
It's quite impressive that they can practically reinvent themselves on a daily basis, but in practice you choose your prepared spells on a hunch, so if you guessed wrong, you're stuck without the right tools for the job... or not enough of them (and in my experience, this happens a lot). Metamagic just amplifies the dilemma. In every given specific day, spont. casters (in your game) have more spells known, more spell output and more class features.
I would solve this by letting prepared casters choose a single spell per slot, and have them not "forget" a spell upon casting (which will explain how they can apply metamagic on the fly). This will give a decent compensation for having to guess-choose your spells and having less "fire power".

nonsi
2015-07-12, 12:36 AM
Invocations - Is it all spells of a given level, or a certain amount of known spells?
It is a single spell of UP TO the listed level gained. So a Duskblade at level 10 has a 0 level and a 1st level invocation. Not gamebreaking, not spectacular, but something of utility to fall back on. All choices must be DM approved to prevent abuse.

Ok. This is definitely reasonable.

Cleric - holy cheesecake factory :smalleek: Official CoDZilla now cries itself to sleep at night.
In TO yes, in actual gameplay half their spells end up used to fix others. I actually have been doing this for 20 years and I still have trouble getting anybody but me to actually play a Cleric!

That's because 3e doesn't offer too many healing options for other classes, so clerics end up the mandatory heal-bots.
Check out the HP section in my my overhaul codex and see how I found it appropriate to alleviate the heal-bot problem.

Fighter - BAB increase is not the way to go.
His only job is to be able to hit things. Open to suggestion as to what to do with the Fighter in general. I don't currently have a player using this class so changes would not be disruptive to the current game :smallbiggrin:

Monk - Ok, I guess. But the core monk just doesn't have enough tricks to not be boring.
Fair enough. I literally put 4 seconds of thought into the Monk, and did it at the end. I have tried too many times and the class is just a wasted concept no matter what I've done. The last time I had somebody play one, they jumped into a red dragon's mouth as it breathed fire so they could roll up something else!

Check out my proposed classes.
Fighter and Monk are by far the toughest classes to fix.
As far as these go, I don't know of any other way to do it right (but my Warrior would probably overshadow your Barb by too much - maybe you could use it to replace them both).

Rogue - Needs more special abilities and improvement of some of them... skill-tricks...
Open to suggestions here. The Rogue has always been one of my favorite classes. Skill tricks are nice, but my players can use them freely. I don't make them use character resources to obtain them. Skill tricks have always been a thing I did for my players anyway, even in AD&D.

Check out the special abilities of my proposed Rogue. Should be enough to suit your needs.

Sorcerer - Full arcane caster in armor just kills the image.
I figure being more naturally skilled at magic should allow this, but that's my opinion. Also, Hennet the WotC sample Sorcerer sure looks as if he's wearing some light leather armor to me.

Ok, but restrict it to leather.