View Full Version : Pathfinder Lichdom: What is your favored approach?

Xuldarinar
2015-07-11, 12:37 AM
Simply a discussion I would find interesting. From the stand point of flavor, what approach(es) to acquiring lichdom do you favor? Which do you think is the most interesting?

As a note, I think it is worth noting the abundance of classes that can become lich.

Adept 11
Alchemist 11
Antipaladin 14
Arcanist 11
Bard 11
Bloodrager 11
Cleric 11
Druid 11
Hunter 11
Inquisitor 11
Investigator 11
Magus 11
Oracle 11
Paladin 14
Ranger 14
Shaman 11
Skald 11
Sorcerer 11
Summoner 11
Unchained Summoner 11
Warpriest 11
Witch 11
Wizard 11

And there this doesn't include what 3rd party brings to the table, or classes that haven't been released yet (such as the psychic spellcasting classes), and certainly ignores the routes and flavors contributed by archetypes and prestige classes.

Xar Zarath
2015-07-11, 01:05 AM
For obvious reasons, Wizard is the best for me. It's good for game and RP reasons though the LA does hurt a bit.

For Cleric/Druid, lich is also good considering that LA does hurt after a while it doesn't really matter much once you get to higher levels. Other classes don't appeal to me as much.

Some prefer Necropolitan because of 0 LA.

BWR
2015-07-11, 03:42 AM
Level 18 Magic User.

Milo v3
2015-07-11, 05:05 AM
Investigators and Alchemists unfortunately cannot become lich, since they lack spellcasting.

As for my preferred method, any class that has a charisma focus is pretty good for it, since you'll need high cha without a con score.

Xuldarinar
2015-07-11, 07:46 AM
For obvious reasons, Wizard is the best for me. It's good for game and RP reasons though the LA does hurt a bit.

For Cleric/Druid, lich is also good considering that LA does hurt after a while it doesn't really matter much once you get to higher levels. Other classes don't appeal to me as much.

Some prefer Necropolitan because of 0 LA.

Wizard, alright that is fairly conventional. Clerics and druids aren't bad either. Though.. Level adjustment? What level adjustment? And what is necropolitan under pathfinder, an ice-cream you can get from Eox?

Level 18 Magic User.

Not bad.. not specific when it comes to pathfinder, but not bad. Why level 18?

As for my preferred method, any class that has a charisma focus is pretty good for it, since you'll need high cha without a con score.

This, I can agree with. Anything with a use for Charisma would work quite nicely with the lich, in some ways better than any other class that qualifies.

Investigators and Alchemists unfortunately cannot become lich, since they lack spellcasting.

This, I do not agree with.

There is an example of an alchemist lich in Shadows of Gallowspire, and even if not... I'm getting every indication from this (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2mz2b&page=1?How-does-the-alchemist-use-discoveries-that) that the official stance is Alchemists can qualify for the feat necessary.

As for my take.. Honestly I think alchemical and psychic liches would make for some of the more interesting, though psychic spellcasting classes aren't out just yet. I also think a paladin lich would present its own eccentricities. I think a bloodrager lich could also be fun, though bloodraging would be of much less use to them after the transformation, at which point why not just roll an a magus of the eldritch scion archetype? If spell-like abilities worked for this or the master craftsman feat worked to lead up to it, I think an unchained rogue lich would be fun, if only in that it would certainly stand apart. Of course, if spell-like abilities worked then anyone utilizing VMC who took the oracle, witch, or wizard as their secondary class could qualify.

Milo v3
2015-07-11, 08:00 AM
This, I do not agree with.

There is an example of an alchemist lich in Shadows of Gallowspire, and even if not... I'm getting every indication from this (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2mz2b&page=1?How-does-the-alchemist-use-discoveries-that) that the official stance is Alchemists can qualify for the feat necessary.

As for my take.. Honestly I think alchemical and psychic liches would make for some of the more interesting, though psychic spellcasting classes aren't out just yet. I also think a paladin lich would present its own eccentricities. I think a bloodrager lich could also be fun, though bloodraging would be of much less use to them after the transformation, at which point why not just roll an a magus of the eldritch scion archetype? If spell-like abilities worked for this or the master craftsman feat worked to lead up to it, I think an unchained rogue lich would be fun, if only in that it would certainly stand apart. Of course, if spell-like abilities worked then anyone utilizing VMC who took the oracle, witch, or wizard as their secondary class could qualify.

Alchemists have extracts not spells. Also, the FAQ (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fn#v5748eaic9qdk) says they can't take crafting feats because they are not spellcasters.

Though, I do think there should be a type of lich for every form of magic personally.

Xuldarinar
2015-07-11, 08:29 AM
Alchemists have extracts not spells. Also, the FAQ (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fn#v5748eaic9qdk) says they can't take crafting feats because they are not spellcasters.

Well I'll be, a case in which James Jacob and an adventure path disagree with FAQ.

Though, regarding the investigator, perhaps the Spiritualist archetype is a way around that.

Though, I do think there should be a type of lich for every form of magic personally.

I do agree with this, whole heartedly.

Milo v3
2015-07-11, 08:44 AM
Well I'll be, a case in which James Jacob and an adventure path disagree with FAQ.

Yeah, adventures break the rules now and then.

Elkad
2015-07-11, 08:59 AM
Level 18 Magic User.

Not bad.. not specific when it comes to pathfinder, but not bad. Why level 18?

That's the joke. L18 MU to become a lich in 1e.

Xuldarinar
2015-07-12, 10:54 AM
That's the joke. L18 MU to become a lich in 1e.

Ah, never knew that. Really has lowered in level, now hasn't it?

Elkad
2015-07-12, 11:03 AM
Ah, never knew that. Really has lowered in level, now hasn't it?

And no longer restricted to one class.

It's become rather common.

Xuldarinar
2015-07-12, 11:53 AM
And no longer restricted to one class.

It's become rather common.

It has, in part because the majority off classes could theoretically become one. What does separate them, however, is their rituals (which are individualized), their choice of phylactery, and what lichdom brings to their abilities.

I think there is an important question to address: Is the requirement to become a lich to be considered, from the standpoint of crunch, an act of item creation?

If yes, I think master craftsman would allow someone to do so.
If no, at least then not -every- class could access this path to immortality, even if given the proper knowledge.

Sagetim
2015-07-12, 01:55 PM
If we're talking immortality, I'd rather play an Elan (Witch, Wizard, or anything that gets access to Greater Age Resistance) and just build that into an item. Sure, it would be expensive, but you would be alive, with no age cap, and with no aging penalties (only benefits).

If, at a later date, you wanted to make the transition to lichdom you could then do so with some aging bonuses to your mental stats and keep wearing your age resistance item to avoid the physical penalties to your strength and dex. I can't recall if pathfinder elan has a -2 to charisma, but even if it does...baseline race with immortality.

If I had to drop the psionic flavor of Elan, then I'd go with Sorcerer. That bonus to charisma is going to be delicious, especially with bonus hp recalculated from charisma. And with human (or anything else that can get a cha bonus) as the baseline race before lichdom, you could get quite a bit of charisma stacking going on.

Endarire
2015-07-12, 10:29 PM
Practiced Spellcaster and other caster level-boosting items allow many PrC members (like Assassins and Avengers) to also become Liches.