2007-04-30, 05:40 PM
Very very nice!!!

Turcano
2007-04-30, 05:41 PM
"Oh guy I killed, the ground, the ground is calling..."

Xykon is too awesome for words.

jindra34
Unatural Sorecry Girl: Evil through and through...
AC is Doomed Now no hope at all...

Lòkki Gallansbayne
Hahaha, biophiliacs. DOOM. Excellent comic. :smallbiggrin:

Woot Spitum
2007-04-30, 05:42 PM
It seems that unnatural acts of wizardry have been defined as things even Xykon thinks are unnatural.

:xykon: I'm not one of those disgusting biophiliacs.

Priceless.

Duke Malagigi
I was right about her.

Bashell
Awesome!

I really LOVE the undead.

Twilight Jack
2007-04-30, 05:43 PM
Mystic Theurge, too! With the exception of Belkar (strangely), this is rather proof that releasing criminals to fight in exchange for reduced sentences is seldom a good thing.

Especially when they can get out of jail and advance their career with a well-timed betrayal.

Tsukiko's ready resume was a nice touch.

Good times for Team Evil!

jjpickar
To quote Borat, "nice" keep up the good work.

Darkxarth
Ooh, another early one. Sweetness.

I like that the color of her eyes matches the color of her magic on that side. Very interesting... I wonder how long she'll last...

Saucetenuto
2007-04-30, 05:44 PM
Woah. I hope Tsukiko survives; I want to see her with Redcloak.

chaospet
2007-04-30, 05:46 PM
Sweet! Go Xykon!

spite48
2007-04-30, 05:47 PM
Always hiring eh?

Does 5 years of experience as a lawyer qualify me to apply?

Innis Cabal
2007-04-30, 05:49 PM
huh...well i was close about her....well this is going to be fun, dont see her living for long though...i see durkon or belkar kicking her multi level butt

Tormsskull
2007-04-30, 05:49 PM
TEam Evil is so old it should definitely be on the NYSE.

Lord Magtok
2007-04-30, 05:50 PM
Thanks, Xykon. You've taught me to be less hostile to new recruits, and always attempt to expand. I'll try to be gentler with the next AMEN recruit.

Leather_Book_Wizard
2007-04-30, 05:51 PM
Pretty cool. Xykon's lines were the best, of course.

Aimbot
Well I saw that coming a mile away.

Aurorax
Head spinning....another early comic. Love the stick figures from the sky look.

Orzel
2007-04-30, 05:52 PM
Belkar will find love soon enough

8/10 baby.

*buys more DOOM stock*
Just for the money.

Shadic
Things just really aren't going well for Azure City, are they?

Xanthos
Hooray for new villains! :D

Athelian
2007-04-30, 05:53 PM
Bollocks, at first I thought one of the beginning AC defenders along the parapet that Xykon fried was the Paladin... Ochul, I think his name is? The one with the beard. But then I noticed his equipment. Thank the Gods for nameless look a like NPC's to be killed, =P

Taren
2007-04-30, 05:54 PM
Nice! This update rocks! I hope she becomes a regular...she could be pretty cool on team evil.

Shott
Heh. Wizardry Girl is a weirdo.

zeratul
I need a t-shirt of that last frame.

rat_bastard
Welcome to Compusa-- uh err Evil!:xykon:

Firestar27
Great comic!
Just wondering, what was the tune that Xykon was singing. Was he mimiking Elan's "O Buddy Roy"?

Soniku
2007-04-30, 05:55 PM
Hahaha, for pure awesome and crazyness she has now become my favorite character. Too bad Miko! :smallbiggrin:

In other news, does the big X do a good dental plan? I wanna join :smalltongue:

jindra34
Great comic!
Just wondering, what was the tune that Xykon was singing. Was he mimiking Elan's "O Buddy Roy"?

No it was "O Buddy Roy"

Shott
And I just noticed how V's dot stands out. Nice touch.

Maerok
I was hoping for a new baddie, and a necromancer who has apparently taken the Lichloved feat ( :smalleek: ) is pretty awesome.

spmyke
Moo, hah, hah! Go Xykon!

ref
2007-04-30, 05:56 PM
Nope, they aren't... We'll see...

You can see V in that bird-eye shot of the battle, hehe...

BrokenButterfly
2007-04-30, 05:59 PM
Ahh necrophilia...

I loved this comic, just for it's fantastic final panel. I'm interested to see how Tsukiko changes the course of the battle. I notice that there are very few blue dots in that mass of orange and grey (and purple...)

But anyway, I think the final panel quote may well wend it's way into my sig, I'll have to think about it.

cheese534
2007-04-30, 06:00 PM
:smallbiggrin: a little too random with the appearence with the new girl sorccerer, but I'm glad to hear that evil is now hiring,I've been waiting ages for that! :smallbiggrin: :smallsmile: :smallbiggrin: :smallsmile:

Snipers_Promise
2007-04-30, 06:01 PM
Mabye Xykon should get to sing a song.

mikeejimbo
2007-04-30, 06:02 PM
Ew! Of all the philias... that's disgusting!
Biophilia! *shudders*

Suraht
2007-04-30, 06:03 PM
:xykon: Uh, not TOO much pleasure, we have a schedule to keep.

Bwahahaha!

uncle_beastly
Love the fact Xykon STILL doesn't know Roy's name.... :smallbiggrin:

:xykon: "Hey, hey HEY! I'm not of those sick biophilliacs y'know?"

Truly there are some depths to even which a Chaotic Evil lich will not sink.... (but think of it logically -- how can Xykon indulge in pleasures of the flesh? They are fleshly....)

Irenaeus
Did anyone notice V zapping hobbos in the second panel? Nice touch, I think.

Adeptus
2007-04-30, 06:04 PM
Great strip!

I really like the sky-eye detail of the battle, with the formations moving on either side, and V's lightning ripping through a huge number of hobgobs... there's a wizard who knows how knows how to use battlemagic to it's full potential.

Come to think of it, it may be that V is more at his/her element than ever before. As a wizard who specializes in blowing stuff up wholesale, war is propably what he/she prays for.

:vaarsuvius: "I love the smell of bat guano in the morning..."

Blood
This just gets worse and worse for Azure City, doesn't it? I knew from the beginning that those criminals let free for the battle wouldn't help anything.

And to you who were waiting for the unnatural acts of wizardry lady, here she is. :smallwink:

mdvk1012
Giant,
Thanks for the early release.

We all knew one of the prisoners was going to turn traitor. I just figured it would be the scruffy guy that Belkar killed.

Hypothetical
2007-04-30, 06:06 PM
Loved the "Inflict Critical Wounds" to heal Xykon. OotS is in trouble now, and all of Roy's work against Xykon just went down the drain. ( Well, he did still take the Dragon out of the picture....)

Geilan
2007-04-30, 06:06 PM
I wanna see Belkar have a good fight with her, rage + daggers + Belkar = A good comic..

EvilElitest
2007-04-30, 06:08 PM
Ewwwwwwwwwwww, necro phelia

Well hinjo's plan backfired
from,
EE

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-04-30, 06:09 PM
Alright, I'm finally ready to come out of the closest... I am a biophile :smallredface:

I was hoping for a new baddie, and a necromancer who has apparently taken the Lichloved feat ( :smalleek: ) is pretty awesome.
Gaaaaaaah!

Nerd_Paladin
2007-04-30, 06:09 PM
The single purple dot in panel 2 is a nice, subtle visual joke.

Some third party resource I read once briefly adressed the horrifying possibilities inherent in a world that combines the concept of necrophelia with routine use of necromancy, and I was REALLY hoping that I would never run into that concept again. Brrrr.

Gitman00
2007-04-30, 06:10 PM
GAH!!! I wasn't expecting her wizardry to be THAT unnatural! :smalleek:
*shudder*

The_Wiz_Kid
2007-04-30, 06:11 PM
Xykon's short term memory problem is the stuff of comedic legends. And props to Tsukiko for being able to produce a resume while incarcerated. I agree with an early post, that last panel begs to become a T-shirt print. It's good to see Xykons has lines even he won't cross.

Nerd_Paladin
2007-04-30, 06:12 PM
How would that even work? He's a freaking skeleton!

Eladrinstar
2007-04-30, 06:13 PM
It's weird how the Giant can make a scene with suggested necrophilia (and biophilia) funny.

She also just happens to have a resume.

Twilight Jack
2007-04-30, 06:16 PM
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Xykon's Sorceror CharismaTM at work.

What? You think a Wizard Lich would have gotten hit on like that?

No. Only the patented Xykon blend of 11 badass spells and vices can provoke that kind of reaction in the living ladies of the necro-friendly.

:xykon: Skele-pimp

Sho' nuff.

goat
2007-04-30, 06:16 PM
So, a mystic theurge...

That requires what, a character level of about 7? Why weren't they on the front lines, helping from the start, where the other freed prisoners were?

Threeshades
2007-04-30, 06:17 PM
This strip rocks!

Team Evil has a new member (hopefully a long-term one) and a cool one too (asian goth chick! what more do you want?) And she even has a name. So we can stop referring to her as Unnatural Wizardry Girl (was a bit long)

However: TSUKIKO FTW!

Sisqui
2007-04-30, 06:18 PM
Maybe someone should have used, say, detect evil, before letting these people out of prison........ So far they are two for two. Or three for three if you count Belkar.

NASDAQ symbol DOOM
*snicker*

Hinton
2007-04-30, 06:19 PM
Well, another recruit for Team Evil right after a loss for Team Good. Things certainly are looking grim for the good guys.

Not only is it another great strip, Giant, but an amazing story line you've got going here.

silvadel
2007-04-30, 06:20 PM
Oh my -- I just had a weird thought....

Could that be Sabine???? I mean those were the exact words she used on her fallen paladinness....

I mean look at panel 11 of #419....

Threeshades
2007-04-30, 06:21 PM
Maybe someone should have used, say, detect evil, before letting these people out of prison........ So far they are two for two. Or three for three if you count Belkar.

well those guys were all convicted criminals. And i think they knew that some (or most) of them might be evil, and all of them might be out for some betrayal.

jindra34
2007-04-30, 06:22 PM
Oh my -- I just had a weird thought....

Could that be Sabine???? I mean those were the exact words she used on her fallen paladinness....

Nope She's one of the unregisted criminals

Sisqui
2007-04-30, 06:23 PM
well those guys were all convicted criminals. And i think they knew that some (or most) of them might be evil, and all of them might be out for some betrayal.

Not exactly an awe inspiring argument for letting them go........:smallwink:

Faramir
2007-04-30, 06:24 PM
Great comic!

Yes, in the original the line is "The pipes are calling".

Tsukiko's ready resume was a nice touch.

My favorite part.

I missed that on the first read through. Thanks!

The Vorpal Tribble
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Xykon's Sorceror CharismaTM at work.

What? You think a Wizard Lich would have gotten hit on like that?

No. Only the patented Xykon blend of 11 badass spells and vices can provoke that kind of reaction in the living ladies of the necro-friendly.

:xykon: Skele-pimp

Sho' nuff.
That really shouldn't have made me laugh like this, but it did :smallbiggrin:

jindra34
Not exactly an awe inspiring argument for letting them go........:smallwink:

AC needed all the help it could get... the risks were minimal (not much worse than AC being destroyed) the benefits were high (AC could be saved)...

BobTheDog
2007-04-30, 06:25 PM
Woo! A Mystic Theurge!

Go get 'em, over-powered prestige-class girl!

Adventurer
2007-04-30, 06:26 PM
LOL! "Biophilliac"... That one is a classic!

Don't you just love how the Giant re-uses characters we just barely saw at an earlier comic to whom noone really gave any attention to?

KIDS
2007-04-30, 06:27 PM
This episode reeked of awesomeness like never before!
That part where Xykon reads the resume while killing guard with the other hand is too darn hilarious.
:smallsmile:

Laesin
2007-04-30, 06:28 PM

Sorry you're overqualified.

warmachine
2007-04-30, 06:29 PM
As Inflict Critical Wounds requires casting as a 7th level Cleric and the requirements for the Mystic Theurge class requires minimum level of arcane caster of 3rd level Wizard, this makes Tsukiko at least Cleric 3/Wizard 3/Mystic Theurge 4. She can throw around 4th level clerical and 4th level arcane spells.

With Hinjo's leadership and Elan's singing, I would say Azure City has the edge but Tsukiko wrecks that. Azure City is doomed, I tell you. DOOMED!

CGM3
It looks like Hinjo really should have invested more ranks in Sense Motive. Of course, it's just possible that Tsukiko is joining Team Evil to attack from within... but just between you, me, and the absent-minded lich, I kinda doubt it; she's having way too much fun in that last panel. :smallfrown:

Er, why would she be interested in Redcloak? He's alive! :smalltongue:

jindra34
Don't you just love how the Giant re-uses characters we just barely saw at an earlier comic to whom noone really gave any attention to?

Umm... we actually gave her alot of attention when GLG got his shot...

Twilight Jack
2007-04-30, 06:30 PM
That really shouldn't have made me laugh like this, but it did :smallbiggrin:

I live to please. In a way that makes you feel tickly and wrong in the parts your bathing suit covers.

Blaznak
2007-04-30, 06:34 PM
HA! There's one in EVERY crowd! :)

The Team Evil bit was very funny, by the way...

Rainspattered
2007-04-30, 06:35 PM
I'm uncertain as to the nature of what V's four words shall be, but I'm certain of mine; "I would tap that."
Seriously. Rawr.

Sisqui
2007-04-30, 06:35 PM
AC needed all the help it could get... the risks were minimal (not much worse than AC being destroyed) the benefits were high (AC could be saved)...

The odds are always worse when you let potential traitors run amok. At least Belkar is semi-constrained by the MoJ. Maybe they should have handed out a few more of those.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenaeus http://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2508722#post2508722)

I missed that on the first read through. Thanks!

Ditto!

Hypothetical
2007-04-30, 06:36 PM
With Hinjo's leadership and Elan's singing, I would say Azure City has the edge but Tsukiko wrecks that. Azure City is doomed, I tell you. DOOMED!

Of course Azure City is Doomed. There is no way to save it. Xykon MUST reach the throne room, and must unleash the Rift. Then TOotS must be defeated again and again at the next two rifts, so that the Standard D&D Climactic Super Battle can occur at the Final Rift.

Any other outcome totally destroys the Dramatic Theme of the Campaign they Players are involved in. Any good DM knows that. The players may not end up at the final battle with the first set of Characters they rolled, due to unforseen and un-rezzable deaths, but they will eventually get there.

Deckmaster
2007-04-30, 06:36 PM
Strangely, I didn't see that coming, although I should have.

Why do necromancers always gotta be evil? Has anyone ever thought that having a good-aligned necromancer along on a campaign involving a lot of undead might be a good idea?

TroyXavier
2007-04-30, 06:37 PM
That was a fun transition comic. Xykon was entertaining as always and now we know why Ms. Necromancer was in jail. Looking forward to 447 now.

NeonRonin
2007-04-30, 06:37 PM
Well... THAT certainly made for an interesting strip to come home to. Thank you, Tsukiko, for providing yet another twist... and I do mean twisted twist. At least now we know what class she is, and I've learned a new phrase- 'biophiliac'.

Guess gettin' jiggy with the living isn't just for vampires anymore, eh? (I've read templates for half-ghouls and half-vampires, I wonder what the ECL on a half-lich would be. Or a half-Death Knight...)

Then again one Xykon is enough. Good thing he isn't into that, b/c I don't think the world could handle a Xykon Jr. :smalltongue:

And of course, the obligatory... NOW what do the good guys do?!?

(In the event of imminent takeover by evil forces, place your head firmly between your knees and kiss your butt goodbye.) :smallbiggrin:

Skeletor
2007-04-30, 06:38 PM
Second panel shows a purple dot (V) shooting what looks like chain lighting, wonder how many hobos s/he got. I also didn't notice very many green (zombie dot id assume) where are those clerics red cloak ordered! :smallbiggrin:

jindra34
2007-04-30, 06:39 PM

Why do necromancers always gotta be evil? Has anyone ever thought that having a good-aligned necromancer along on a campaign involving a lot of undead might be a good idea?
Becuase i believe 75% of NEcromancy spells have the [evil] label

idioscosmos
2007-04-30, 06:40 PM
Always hiring eh?

Did you work for the IRS?

Loyal2NES
2007-04-30, 06:48 PM
Part of me wonders how a living female would take part in necrophilia.

The rest of me values my sanity and doesn't want to go down the Road of No Return again. As soon as you get even one working image in your head, you won't be able to get it out, ever. :smalleek:

Here's to hoping The Giant will not indulge that possibility.

Quixoto
2007-04-30, 06:51 PM
^ This guy's got a pretty good voice.

Man, based on the interview process there, becoming a villain is easier than getting a job at the cafe at Borders.

Solara
2007-04-30, 06:52 PM
Interesting that, evil as he is, Belkar is the only released prisoner that hasn't turned traitor.

Also, Tsukiko is an awesome (though probably short-lived) new addition to Team Evil, but I am the only one cringing at the thought of the many, many ways that name is going to get butchered on the forum? I mean, 90% of fans can't even spell Xykon right...

Jamie Fameflame
2007-04-30, 06:52 PM

- I am not the one to pass the chance of the obligatory "boner" joke here...

Awesome comic, loved every second of it. Liked that Xykon wasn't surprised that she had a resume ready, but in fact asked for it. In the heat of battle. Always hiring, indeed.

Forealms
2007-04-30, 06:53 PM
Somehow I'm starting to think that they should have just let Belkar out of jail. Though it might have been some fun if they also let Thog out of jail. (Bull rush tackle hug!)

I don't think I would mind joining evil any more. Team Good is getting their asses kicked, and somehow it looks like they aren't going to win the battle.

Also, someone posted earlier that they were relieved that it wasn't O-chul that was killed up top.

Sorry to say, he'll be kicking his last bucket real soon, I imagine.

All in all, a great comic, filled with the comic relief we need to keep our hopes up.

StarWidget
2007-04-30, 06:54 PM
Well, this does not bode well for our fearless adventurers.

But I bet it'll make things interesting.

Fruan
2007-04-30, 06:55 PM
Part of me wonders how a living female would take part in necrophilia.

Ahem. Rigor mortise. I think I've said enough ;)

TempusCCK
2007-04-30, 06:56 PM
Anyone who thinks that because Unnatural Acts of Wizardry lady is now with the baddies that AC is doomed is sorely mistaken.

SHe's on the Castle parapets with every single magic user AC has got, excluding V, not to mention all the paladins in the city excluding Hinjo. They got her once, odds say they'll get her again. She's ridiculously outnumbered, obviously not as powerful as some of the AC mages, or she would have never been caught to begin with, and there's a good chance she'd run out of spells before she even made a real dent in the Castle defenses.

She is not the end for AC.

Xykon on the other hand might be a huge threat, but he's already blown away some of his spells for the day, not to mention how many other buffs we haven't seen. I think AC still has a very good chance of coming out of this one.

jindra34
2007-04-30, 06:57 PM
Anyone who thinks that because Unnatural Acts of Wizardry lady is now with the baddies that AC is doomed is sorely mistaken.

SHe's on the Castle parapets with every single magic user AC has got, excluding V, not to mention all the paladins in the city excluding Hinjo. They got her once, odds say they'll get her again. She's ridiculously outnumbered, obviously not as powerful as some of the AC mages, or she would have never been caught to begin with, and there's a good chance she'd run out of spells before she even made a real dent in the Castle defenses.

She is not the end for AC.

Xykon on the other hand might be a huge threat, but he's already blown away some of his spells for the day, not to mention how many other buffs we haven't seen. I think AC still has a very good chance of coming out of this one.

The thing is how many of those people are going to go after her and not Xykon... she'll live she now has a NAME... it makes her special...

Midnight Lurker
2007-04-30, 07:00 PM

Yeah, but she's a mystic theurge. I played one of those, and boy did I regret it.

True Necromancer (Libris Mortis) would have been a much, much better dual-caster class for someone in her position.

Malhavok
2007-04-30, 07:00 PM
Nice, go Team EVIL !

TempusCCK
2007-04-30, 07:01 PM
So did the Kobold rip off of Inigo, but he got dead pretty quick, didn't he? How about the Chimera?

Jawajoey
2007-04-30, 07:04 PM
Awesome comic!

Necrophilia ftw!

Just kidding..eww

I loved this comic, it's now one of my favorites. I'm worried about Tsukiko's lifespan, though. She looks tough, and she seems to be shaping up to be a relevant character, but I don't see how she's going to be able to stand up to a castle rampart full of casters, clerics, and fighters all on her own. Well, she is going to be raising some corpses, so that'll help, but still.

Kheal

Yes, yes, and yes again. Necromancers being steryotyped as evil has been my biggest beef with D&D since I started playing. Heck, if any school of magic should immediately be steryotyped as evil, it should be Enchantment.

Anyway, 446 was a great strip! Keep up the good work!

Fishies
A necrophile, eh?

Sisqui
2007-04-30, 07:10 PM
- Awesome comic, loved every second of it. Liked that Xykon wasn't surprised that she had a resume ready, but in fact asked for it. In the heat of battle. Always hiring, indeed.

Well, that's when you get a lot of open positions....:smallbiggrin:

Heck, if any school of magic should immediately be steryotyped as evil, it should be Enchantment.

QFT!!

Twilight Jack
2007-04-30, 07:11 PM
Yes, yes, and yes again. Necromancers being steryotyped as evil has been my biggest beef with D&D since I started playing. Heck, if any school of magic should immediately be steryotyped as evil, it should be Enchantment.

Anyway, 446 was a great strip! Keep up the good work!

What are you talking about? Enchanters just want to be loved!

So they utterly subjugate the free will of those who oppose their plans! Who doesn't from time to time?

Bumper sticker seen on the back of an Enchanter's carriage:

"Enchanters do it with more control!"

nerdman3000
2007-04-30, 07:14 PM
how do u join a fan club

Aerysil
2007-04-30, 07:21 PM
Good side loses one, evil side gains one. If this keeps up, I might start losing hope.

Couldn't help but notice the little V lightning bolt thingy down below.

Silveralex
2007-04-30, 07:27 PM
For someone that has expended most of her area-effect spells by strip 437, V is doing a damn good job of still holding back the hobgoblins.

Though once she's run out I can't imagine that side holding out long.

Fus.Weapon 1337
2007-04-30, 07:27 PM
Now that's a group I'd like to join.

Mad Scientist
2007-04-30, 07:28 PM
Wow. Love the overhead flyby scene of the battle. The tiny purple dot was V! Awesome!

Pyrian
2007-04-30, 07:33 PM
We all knew one of the prisoners was going to turn traitor. I just figured it would be the scruffy guy that Belkar killed.He did, too.

...and there's a good chance she'd run out of spells before she even made a real dent in the Castle defenses.High level Mystic Theurges do not run out of spells. Die, yes, run out of spells, no.

Megalomaniac2
2007-04-30, 07:37 PM
Hey, a Xykon fangirl! Tsukiko's evil enthusiasm and shameless flirting with Xykon immediately make her a memorable character, along with her multi-coloured eyes and corresponding magical auras; hope she survives to melt our lich's icy heart. Also loved the overhead panorama of the battlefield.

Azure City's in bigger trouble now than ever with Team Evil getting new blood. The Huecuva and Monster in the Dark haven't even come into play yet, and Xykon's already a few stages from his goal. Is Hinjo going to have to call a retreat?

I'd like to see a cut inside the prison at some point; I can only imagine the running commentary the Linear Guild and Miko are keeping up on the battle.

Lumenadducere
2007-04-30, 07:37 PM
Very nice. I hope she survives as well, it'd be interesting to see one of the OoTS up against a Mystic Theurge.

The Glitter Ninja
2007-04-30, 07:43 PM
I liked the tiny purple V dot, too. I was looking for the other OOTS dots but didn't see them. The new character looks like a disaffected goth youth to me, so of course I find her hysterical. Evil: It's Fantastic!

Sturmjaeger
2007-04-30, 07:45 PM
Biophiliacs. Heh.

myeerah
2007-04-30, 07:53 PM
And :xykon: still doesn't remember :roy:. Fantabulous.

O'Shuva
2007-04-30, 07:54 PM

One of my favourite characters was, oddly, a Good Cloistered Cleric (from UA)/Diviner (barred evocation and illusion, obviously using the GITP rules)/Mystic Theurge. She did necromancy, it was the only real attacking spells she had apart from Acid Arrow.

Also, I do like the way Xykon's crown pops up over the circle on the last panel. It's the little details that make him so really badass.

Surfing HalfOrc
2007-04-30, 07:55 PM
I HOPE beyond hope Tsukiko last longer than the Death Knight!

The DK was cool in his own way, but Tsukiko ROCKS OUT LOUD!!!

The potential tension between her and Redcloak? I can't wait!

And the strip keeps coming out early on its due date!

Now, if only Rich would release the adventures of the OotS as an Adventure Path!

Baalzebub
2007-04-30, 08:00 PM
Great Comic!!!

:smallbiggrin:

Icewalker
2007-04-30, 08:13 PM
Very cool, I love it. I was wonderin what she'd end up doin.

I hope she continues as a character, after the battle in AC.

Snake-Aes
2007-04-30, 08:18 PM
First time EVER I've been into an "amazed-wow" trance for more than three minutes!

I'm starting to love that girl

Haarculaneaum
2007-04-30, 08:21 PM
There should be a button for this. . .

This is a spoiler

A spoiler, I tell you.

last chance.

spoiler

*spoiler*

spoiler

so we all know that Miko is going to be in the throneroom, right?

/spoiler

Jukashi
2007-04-30, 08:23 PM
Actually, since she speciifies that she loves undead as opposed to regular dead, she'd be, I dunno, a necromantiphile?

As is anyone who likes vampires. So it's not that uncommon.

[/pedant]

jindra34
2007-04-30, 08:25 PM
umm... no she is STILL in prison probably has not opened her eyes all day...

Malnourished
2007-04-30, 08:25 PM
Interesting that, evil as he is, Belkar is the only released prisoner that hasn't turned traitor.

Not too surprising if you consider that he can't kill anyone inside the city. If he turned traitor he could only watch while everyone else fought, and he's not going to choose to do that.

Copacetic
2007-04-30, 08:26 PM
Man, tat had my giggling like a 2 year old with a shotgun. Priceless. NASDAQ symbool: Doom!

musicnerd
2007-04-30, 08:34 PM
That was a good one, I'm happy for a break in the string of comics that made me sad (not saying that they weren't awesome in their own right)

I really want a shirt of the last panel!

5tephen
2007-04-30, 08:36 PM
Yeah, team Evil really needed another voice.

I can't wait to see how she interacts with the rest of the gang.

Rainspattered
2007-04-30, 08:37 PM
Zombie-sex is a beautiful and natural thing, you closed-minded bigots. Maybe they wouldn't be eating brains all the time if they just got some action.

(Caution: This post was manufactured on equipment that also processes jokes)

jindra34
2007-04-30, 08:41 PM
Zombie-sex is a beautiful and natural thing, you closed-minded bigots. Maybe they wouldn't be eating brains all the time if they just got some action.

(Caution: This post was manufactured on equipment that also processes jokes)

You took craft disturbing mental image as a feat didn't you...?

erewhon
2007-04-30, 08:45 PM
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Man, that was just.... Awesome. :D

Poor Azure City. Xykon's motivated for once.

Snake-Aes
2007-04-30, 08:45 PM
You took craft disturbing mental image as a feat didn't you...?WHo didn't? I got one the moment Belkar confessed having it

jindra34
2007-04-30, 08:47 PM
WHo didn't? I got one the moment Belkar confessed having it

I perfer to keep my friends from reducing their brain size by continuosly dunking it in high-strength acid...

Lerch
2007-04-30, 08:50 PM
I wish to cast another vote for TEAM EVIL (we're always hiring) T-Shirt.

Also in terms of skeletal uh....stuff...

Skeletons are good at boning things...DR 5/bludgeoning

:xykon: Just a thought:xykon:

Vox
2007-04-30, 08:55 PM
Ok.....

This? This right here?

This is....WHY YOU DON'T RELEASE UNNATURALLY EVIL CRIMINALS!

Honestly......

So. Hopefully O-chul, the higher level paladins with him, and the other forces around the throne room can collectively manage to halt the attack of the mad lich....otherwise there will be trouble.

It kills me to say this, but.....perhaps Miko WILL have a role to play....Gad, I hope not, but at this point, there are precious few high-level characters who are willing to STAY ON THE GOOD SIDE.

Dang you, Tsukiko! May your head be severed from your body and used to kill a hobgoblin underneath you! Oh, wait....wrong criminal.

I miss Sangwaan:smallfrown:

darkninjaoflight
2007-04-30, 09:01 PM
Wow. Did the Azure City guards even take a look at what the Unnatural Wizard girl was in jail for before they let her free?

I mean. She's a high level cleric/necromancer/necrophile. Did they really think she wouldn't turn on them?

Haruspex
2007-04-30, 09:04 PM
Funny to see Xykon singing along with a memorial song of someone he killed as well as recruiting (living!) troops during a battle.

nusigf
2007-04-30, 09:10 PM

Probably something including a "bone" :smallbiggrin:

Tobimaro
2007-04-30, 09:11 PM
I can understand why the prisoners were released, but in hindsight it now looks to have been an incredibly stupid idea to have done so.

One tried to kill Hinjo, and the other has now actively joined with Xykon. Makes you think that the kidnapper was the smart one.

This does not bode well for the defenders of Azure City. :smalleek:

-----------------------------
Wow, now a dwarf. My inner Grovar is now smiling. :smallsmile: (Yes, Grovar is a dwarf.)

2.5 cats
2007-04-30, 09:11 PM
OK letting the prisoners out to fight wasn't such a brilliant idea in hindsight.

On the other hand, telling them that after they fight they go back to jail was plain stupid and just begging for them to betray you. Historically (European history, that is), even those convicted of capital crimes were promised a full pardon if they fought & survived. (Those were the guys with 2-handed swords sent to attack a phalanx--most get skewered but the ones who don't open up a huge hole. I'm not joking.)

Anyway, my point is that Hinjo is at least in part at fault here for being so stingy.

Deckmaster
2007-04-30, 09:22 PM
Becuase i believe 75% of NEcromancy spells have the [evil] label

Actually, not as many as you would think. I have a theory that you can make a sorcerer specializing in Necromancy (with the Spell Focus feat, of course), avoid the [Evil] spells, shoring up with Evocation and Transmutation, and still be pretty damn effective. I haven't tried it, but I'm planning on doing it someday.

Ballestra
2007-04-30, 09:23 PM
And I just noticed how V's dot stands out. Nice touch.

And even more, how V is casting a lightning bolt or chain lightning through the enemy...nice touch.

PerryTatchett
2007-04-30, 09:23 PM
Team Evil, or E V I L
v i s e
e l m
r l o
y a n
i s
n

Edit: Stupid spaces compressed. It was supposed to say "Every Villain Is Lemons"

Black_Light83
2007-04-30, 09:24 PM
As usual a great and awsome comic :smalltongue:

Malik
2007-04-30, 09:25 PM
Great comic, being evil has its perks.

nusigf
2007-04-30, 09:26 PM
Of course Azure City is Doomed. There is no way to save it. Xykon MUST reach the throne room, and must unleash the Rift. Then TOotS must be defeated again and again at the next two rifts, so that the Standard D&D Climactic Super Battle can occur at the Final Rift.

Any other outcome totally destroys the Dramatic Theme of the Campaign they Players are involved in. Any good DM knows that. The players may not end up at the final battle with the first set of Characters they rolled, due to unforseen and un-rezzable deaths, but they will eventually get there.

...I disagree. I think that, just like at Durokan's dungeon, they will save this gate, but that there will be more climatics, er, climaticisms, uh, climasticies, uh, climatics, crap, DRAMATIC CLIMAXES, at the other gates. Not really sure how that's going to happen, but I imagine Xykon is his own worst enema.

Axl_Rose
2007-04-30, 09:26 PM
NICE! I love it! THIS is why I read Oots. Don't me wrong, V being powerful and heroic was great, but since I (and Im sure many others) were rooting for team evil this is way better.

baerdith
2007-04-30, 09:27 PM
Now see that, right there? THAT is why people need to keep their little ideas to themselves!

"Ooo, what's gonna happen to that arrow??" Bink bink THUNK

"Ooo Roy is gonna die isn't he?" SPLAT

"Ooo what happened to the Sorceror Girl let out of jail?" Team Evil Recruitment

Just remember you guys, if not for YOU that arrow would have killed Xykon, Roy would be alive, and Giant would have totally forgotten about that slightly shady sorceror.

Thanks guys, Heck of a job!

Just kidding!! It WAS pretty funny! "Come here you....!!"

Axl_Rose
2007-04-30, 09:28 PM
Also -dDon't ya just love how polite and collected he is? Damn. What an anti-villain!

Sir_Banjo
2007-04-30, 09:30 PM
Yeah, team Evil really needed another voice.

I can't wait to see how she interacts with the rest of the gang.

I'm thinking not too well, unless they're undead.

The Order Of The Stick has really started to heat up over these last few strips. Roy dead, new evil chick and the BBEG on the verge of winning. I was getting a little tired of the city and plot exposition but when these latest developments came I was completely blindsided. It's been good.

Roderick_BR
2007-04-30, 09:31 PM
And now "unnatural acts of wizardry" makes sense.... Of course! In a city of paladins, that oughta be unnatural! XD
I'd say she should go True Necromancer if she likes undeads, but Mystic Theurge is terrible broken and overpowered, it works way better.

ladysekhmetka
2007-04-30, 09:44 PM
Heh, I just noticed that Tsukiko has heterochromia.

Go Team Evil!

nusigf
2007-04-30, 09:49 PM
There should be a button for this. . .

This is a spoiler

A spoiler, I tell you.

last chance.

spoiler

*spoiler*

spoiler

/spoiler

Just surround the spoiler in [], like html, open with [ spoiler ] (no spaces) and close with [/ etc...

You get the picture

MReav
2007-04-30, 09:50 PM
Well, from a Dante's Inferno cosmology POV, Miko now has two friends to expect in the ninth circle of hell.

CGM3
2007-04-30, 09:51 PM
I'm casting my vote that Tsukiko be Argent's new chew toy. Who's with me? :smallamused:

Vulion
2007-04-30, 10:04 PM
Well...the fecal matter is certainly hitting the oscilating unit.

nusigf
2007-04-30, 10:06 PM
V's dot, his/her chain lightning, Tsukiko, her resume, Xykon? Can life get any better? I submit that it cannot!

If I EVER take a company public, even if it's called, "Soft Fluffy Puppies with Angel's Wings in a Field of Virgin Cotton", I'm going to register it under the symbol "DOOM". Although, the psychological effects of having THAT ticker symbol would probably ruin any chance at a decent IPO... dammit.

Midnight Lurker
2007-04-30, 10:14 PM
And now "unnatural acts of wizardry" makes sense.... Of course! In a city of paladins, that oughta be unnatural! XD
I'd say she should go True Necromancer if she likes undeads, but Mystic Theurge is terrible broken and overpowered, it works way better.

MT gets absolutely no special abilities -- you get ten levels of dual casting but lose familiar bonuses, metamagic feats, and undead turning/rebuking. Also, it only lasts ten levels, so once you hit character level 16 you have to go back to single casting levels.

TN gets dual casting over most of its fourteen levels plus a range of necromantic powers, and FULL UNDEAD TURNING.

There really isn't any contest here.

TN makes me want to radically redesign MT so it can KEEP UP.

Sir_Faust
2007-04-30, 10:15 PM
My favorite OotS so far.
I was loling from beginning to end.
Great way to end my day after read the sea of monsters :D

archon_huskie
2007-04-30, 10:17 PM
I do not think that Team Evil is winning here.

Look at my tallies of losses.
Notice that Xykon's forces have not spilled into the wall.
Xykon's flying solo and is about to face a room full of paladins.

He's going down.

jindra34
2007-04-30, 10:22 PM

He's going down.

There are two unaccounted for uber-undead and of course Tsukiko... true they might not be winning but the bbalance of power is firmly in their court...
Four Words: Meteor Swarm the Paladins...

Professor Tanhauser
2007-04-30, 10:28 PM
So, the thing is that roy did put some hurt on xykon, as he admitted when he asked the evil girl for a spell and said "I could use some healing."

Now the thing is Xykon didn't kill roy, the fall did. So until the fall killed him roy had given x as good as he got. I wonder what would happen if a fully charged Vaarsavius and durkon pounded him with full offense spells while Haley popped him with arrmws meant to hurt his kind, belkar went tasmanian halfling on him and elan started smacking the crap out of him with roy's sword, which he picked up in remembrance of roy?

One member could hurt him, even he admitted it. 5 going at him like rush limbaugh going into a bottle of oxycontin might be more than old boney could handle.

BTW, loved the last line. I may steal it.

taraxia
2007-04-30, 10:33 PM

...Not particularly. It's actually about the same as True Necromancer, honestly. Both aren't very good.

A person's opinion of Mystic Theurge is actually a good bellwether for whether they have a good sense for the rules of D&D, because it's really easy to look at it and go "OMGWTFBBQ Cleric/Wiz spellcasting combined aah" without realizing that 1) having access to two spell lists isn't that great, because you can still only cast one spell with one action, and 2) this kind of PrC isn't that great, because you *will* give up your max caster levels in both prerequisite base classes and suck a lot compared to a pure Wizard or pure Cleric.

Particle_Man
2007-04-30, 10:35 PM
So, do you think she will end up with the Huecuva or the Eye of Fear and Flame (maybe a little love will help him overcome his fears?) :)

And Mystic Theurges are severely UNDER-powered. Having lots of crappy spells is like having an endless supply of darts to throw. Not a big threat.

Professor Tanhauser
2007-04-30, 10:36 PM
The bit about "disgusting biophilliacs" wa smaybe the funniest and naughtiest quips in OotS.

Say, with a go-getter like the new firl on the payroll, do you think redcloak has something to worry about?

nerdman3000
2007-04-30, 10:40 PM
made a memorial slide show of Roy being mighty with the song clip of "Oh Buddy Roy" made by eccentricfellow. :smallbiggrin:

just improved it to this version, it's better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCYLNj0KXcE

please enjoy

archon_huskie
2007-04-30, 10:44 PM
By what we have seen in the comics, Azure City has dealt over 465% more damage than they have recieved. No they are doing quite well. I sincerely doubt that an order of paladins built for the purpose of defending this gate can't hold off one lich.

Add to that, Azure City has not called upon its own magi users much save for V and the Blnd Seer.

Midnight Lurker
2007-04-30, 10:48 PM
...Not particularly. It's actually about the same as True Necromancer, honestly. Both aren't very good.

A person's opinion of Mystic Theurge is actually a good bellwether for whether they have a good sense for the rules of D&D, because it's really easy to look at it and go "OMGWTFBBQ Cleric/Wiz spellcasting combined aah" without realizing that 1) having access to two spell lists isn't that great, because you can still only cast one spell with one action, and 2) this kind of PrC isn't that great, because you *will* give up your max caster levels in both prerequisite base classes and suck a lot compared to a pure Wizard or pure Cleric.

"Max caster levels" depends entirely on your DM's willingness to go epic. If you can proceed past 20th character level, there's no problem getting 9th level spells in both.

That said, having played a MT, I'd rather go single-caster class next time.

Khoran
2007-04-30, 10:49 PM
Hey, I can see V in the second panel :P.

Anyways, great comic, still chuckling about it.

johnnyriot999
2007-04-30, 10:53 PM
Last comic, superb!

2.5 cats
2007-04-30, 10:58 PM
By what we have seen in the comics, Azure City has dealt over 465% more damage than they have recieved.

Yes, but normally in a siege that is how it goes. First the attckers take disproportionate losses as they attack fixed defenses, then they break through/get close and more or less swap casualties at an even rate, then one side gets crushed and takes disproportionate casualties. The bad guys have been hitting the wall, but they're slugging it out at the breech in the wall with a massive free-for-all.

Also, most of the action has been centered on the main characters, who are high level. The battle is probably going less well elsewhere.

Bel_Bel
2007-04-30, 11:00 PM
Sweeeeeeeet. That girl's offer is every evil PC's dream. This rocks! Bad-ass!

On the other hand, oooooooooooooooooh snap! Azure City is dooomed!!!!!!! AAAAAH! :smalleek:

chibibar
2007-04-30, 11:06 PM
I would so buy a T-shirt with that frame :)

Haruki-kun
2007-04-30, 11:07 PM
I LOVE how she has different-colored eyes.
great comic!

Wolfram
2007-04-30, 11:10 PM
So, what's good's NASDAQ symbol? HALO?

Snake-Aes
2007-04-30, 11:11 PM
Aren't the AC - Hob armies odds about 1 ac soldier per 8 hobs? They are more or less even-leveled, and I atribute 70% of the falls on hob army to the OOTS action, and still, even with a 1 soldier per 5 hobs killed, you'll get yourself a good bunch of hobs in the end.

Wyrd
2007-04-30, 11:20 PM
Great comic !

I do not agree with the fact that having a name will protect Tsukiko from the fate of Grand Larceny Guy and Death Knight as this rule CLEARLY does not affect young asian women (remember poor chewed Sangwann) ;)

But should the enthusiastic necrophiliac survive the battle, we can make a few predictions including the following :

Next time the OotS encounter Team Evil (after the inevitable fall of Azure City of course) we will see super-undead Roy with his new girlfriend Tsukiko in tow

rgoodfellow
2007-04-30, 11:32 PM
Okay, see no. Roy's dead, which means, despite some good stuff in this comic, I need to find out what's going with that. None of this really got going the whole, Roy rising up from the ground bit.

In essence, I need more comics.

EntilZha
2007-04-30, 11:45 PM
ROTFL!!!

The Unnatural Acts of Wizardry Chick FTW!!

And Xykon at his best! Great Comic Rich!

the_tick_rules
2007-04-30, 11:50 PM
she's a necrophile huh. Good strip, but it brought me down a bit.

Xenon
2007-04-30, 11:52 PM
this comic has scored a critical hit of humor.

Martok
2007-04-30, 11:58 PM
Hee! I've gotta say, this is definitely one of the better Xykon strips I've Rich as done.

The_Old_Fox
2007-05-01, 12:21 AM
:xykon: once again proves that :xykon: = awesome.

Ahhh evil, it is such an attractive field. I think that I will accept that law school scholarship. Thanks :xykon: I needed that!

(by the way, now that we know about the creepy girl this brings up the question, why is necrophilia so hot in chicks but so very very disturbing in men? Or am I the only one thinking that? actually, I kinda hope I am.)

Jade_Tarem
2007-05-01, 12:29 AM
Is anyone else seeing Tsukiko as some kind of long-lost sister to Miko? Just a thought there...

'Cause the Giant could take that in any direction.

Tharr
2007-05-01, 12:31 AM
The whole issue of loving the dead was funny.
Great because Xykon has no bone down there for any weird fun.
For once maybe she is Goth punk rock twin sister of Haley in past.
Having to wonder if she might be mini version of Miko for both.

Tharj TreeSmiter
2007-05-01, 12:36 AM
EVIL
a growth industry

That NEEDS to be a T-shirt!

Midnight Lurker
2007-05-01, 12:36 AM
**Scrubbed**

...How many times have you posted this now? Ten?

Logancloud
2007-05-01, 12:54 AM
Tsukiko..

She's kinda hot but too girlish for my liking. Not that Rich Burlew bases his characters for my tastes. :smallbiggrin:

I did love that strip very much though. Keep up the good work, Giant!

Heliomance
2007-05-01, 12:59 AM
**Scrubbed**

Will you please stop posting that! Everyone heard you the first time.

Green Bean
2007-05-01, 01:08 AM
Man, I love Xykon so much right now. "Biophiliac" :smallbiggrin:

belboz
2007-05-01, 01:10 AM
...I disagree. I think that, just like at Durokan's dungeon, they will save this gate, but that there will be more climatics, er, climaticisms, uh, climasticies, uh, climatics, crap, DRAMATIC CLIMAXES, at the other gates. Not really sure how that's going to happen, but I imagine Xykon is his own worst enema.

Agreed. In fact, the campaign (or, at least, the main storyline so far) would only end if one side or the other got truly complete victory--that is,

The OOTS destroy Xykon and his phylactery utterly, or
Xykon succeeds in not only capturing but opening a gateThe non-destruction, or for that matter the destruction, of AC does not imply either of these.

Personally, I think Xykon's forces are going to destroy AC pretty thoroughly, but that the OOTS will be able to stop him before he manages to activate the gate--at which point it's presumably off to Girard's gate. But it's almost equally possible that the city will be saved, so long as Xykon (or his phylactery) survives to try again with the same or (more likely) a different gate later.

fractal
2007-05-01, 01:12 AM
Well, I've got to say, not terribly impressed with Hinjo atm. 2/3 would be a reasonable rate for cooperation by the released prisoners, you can't plan for everything. However, instead he's apparently only 1/3, and he can't even take credit for Belkar, Roy did pretty much everything there. Unlike the rogue, Tsukiko didn't even do anything useful before turning coat.

Incidentally, this also indicates that the plan of leaving the spellcasters at the keep was dumb. On the walls, they could have provided valuable spellcasting support. In the castle, they just sit there until Xykon kills them. Why were the spellcasters there, anyway?

Yes, it's nice for the PCs to get to solve some problems, but the NPCs shouldn't be this incompetent.

factotum
2007-05-01, 01:16 AM
...How many times have you posted this now? Ten?

Five, at my count--still a pretty concerted attempt at spamming the thread, though.

There's a lot of people saying how the OotS will come and kill Tsukiko, or that Hinjo will, etc, but the fact is that she's in the castle and they're on the walls, way too far away to do much to her. Judging from the last-but-one panel of this comic she can fly (or at least levitate) so getting to her to do anything useful could be a problem, even assuming they could break off from fighting off ten thousand hobbos. (Oh, and don't forget Belkar couldn't do anything to her within the bounds of the city anyway).

Ave
2007-05-01, 01:21 AM
Ooops, i didn't expect a 2/3 failure rate on Hinjo's amnesty.
The good size is screwed unless they get help.
Well, Celia is not available, i guess. Also, how useful would she be?
Silly Roy should have summoned her BEFORE the battle.

H. Zee
2007-05-01, 01:27 AM
You gotta love Xykon. Somehow manages to be as evil as hell, while still being likeably funny. Haha, 'biophiliacs'...This comic is going from strength to strength.

Lostboy
2007-05-01, 01:37 AM
YAY! New evil character! We've needed a good new evil character for a while! I luv her! She's cute and evil! Evil and cute is a great combo. I am rooting for her to stick around for a long time!

Mr Teufel
2007-05-01, 02:02 AM
Xykon, you're a real b@stard! Mocking Elan's dirge like that. Evil, I say, EVIL!
I guess when you have an objective Evil, you don't get many reformed prisoners.

I'm uncertain as to the nature of what V's four words shall be, but I'm certain of mine; "I would tap that."
Seriously. Rawr.But she'd have to kill you first.

made a memorial slide show of Roy being mighty with the song clip of "Oh Buddy Roy" made by eccentricfellow. :smallbiggrin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHF0g-Tos-E
please enjoy:smallbiggrin:While I appreciate your effort and enthusiasm, I'm afraid the slide show itself needs work. All those shrunken pages have little impact. You would have done better to concentrate on single panels.

And I think multiple posting is frowned upon.

Pyrian
2007-05-01, 02:12 AM
It kills me to say this, but.....perhaps Miko WILL have a role to play....Gad, I hope not, but at this point, there are precious few high-level characters who are willing to STAY ON THE GOOD SIDE.Well, that rules Miko out. Or did you miss the part where she murdered Shojo? How about when she tried to murder Hinjo afterwards? "On the good side" my bony ass.

Also, it only lasts ten levels, so once you hit character level 16 you have to go back to single casting levels.Specifically, Archmage. "Ooo, I lost a spell slot. Watch as I try to care. Aaaaarrrrrgh... Nope, still don't care."

The Doctor
2007-05-01, 02:19 AM

I doubt it. I like her, you can't have enough kinky women, but her name is far to difficult to pronounce for her to survive.

Midnight Lurker
2007-05-01, 02:36 AM
Specifically, Archmage. "Ooo, I lost a spell slot. Watch as I try to care. Aaaaarrrrrgh... Nope, still don't care."

Exactly what I did, in fact. :smalltongue: (After a level or two of Loremaster to fill in some prereqs. Since the character in question was a wizard-priest of the god of knowledge, the whole thing made conceptual sense even if the sheet wound up a mess.)

eetdestroyer
2007-05-01, 02:37 AM
i think the comic was pretty good, especial with the EVIL growth industry, i just can't believe this thread has seven pages after only a day! not even 24 hours!! personally i preffer lines suchs "bite my 50% miss chance" and "I prepared explosive runes this mor-"

Midnight Lurker
2007-05-01, 02:37 AM
I doubt it. I like her, you can't have enough kinky women, but her name is far to difficult to pronounce for her to survive.

Just say "Tukiko." There are enough Japanese who pronounce it that way that you can probably get away with it.

Aramis_fan^^
2007-05-01, 02:42 AM
Whoooo YAY there's a girl on team evil *dances* huzzah for teh team... evil is fun ^^

Pantler
2007-05-01, 02:48 AM
Now that's a lot for a single strip...
1. "O buddy Roy" IS a catchy tune
2. Azure City stocks are going down real fast.
3. As for Tsukiko, I think the Eye of Fear and Flame doesn't have enough flame to scam her. The huecuva, on the other hand...

If confronted by a cleric (or a cleric attempts to turn or rebuke a
huecuva and fails) a huecuva will direct all attacks at the cleric (and
those defending him) until either the cleric or huecuva is slain. The
huecuva will ignore all other opponents around it if it encounters a
cleric.
so I think there'll be no acton here either, because as a mystic theurge she probably has some cleric levels. Which is a crying shame, because with the huecuva's Change Self ability it could be a wild ride :biggrin:

Midnight Lurker
2007-05-01, 02:51 AM
Now that's a lot for a single strip...
1. "O buddy Roy" IS a catchy tune
2. Azure City stocks are going down real fast.
3. As for Tsukiko, I think the Eye of Fear and Flame doesn't have enough flame to scam her. The huecuva, on the other hand...

Wait, so what would have happened when Redcloak created the damned thing? Why would it take orders from him if he's a cleric?

forgottensoul
2007-05-01, 03:44 AM
did you see the lightining that V casted on....half the battlefield?!
V kicks ass

Brawl
2007-05-01, 03:57 AM
Then Azure City is lost, I don't see anyone who can possibly stop Xykon from destroying throne... WAIT, City is not lost! After destroying throne Xykon pull out siege to save (right :P) troops for the next gates.

Pantler
2007-05-01, 04:01 AM
Wait, so what would have happened when Redcloak created the damned thing? Why would it take orders from him if he's a cleric?

Well, there are no official rules for creating a huecuva in the first place, so it's Giant's homebrew idea that Redcloak could have done it. I guess that, being its creator, he has absolute power over it. Or he could have made a successful Control Undead check.

factotum
2007-05-01, 04:32 AM
Something else occurred to me. Inflict Critical Wounds harms (or heals, in the case of undead) 4d8+1/caster level damage, and it looks like it took Xykon right back up to full strength. Assuming Tsukiko is level 10 (lowest level she could be to cast the spell with Mystic Theurge), the most damage Roy could possibly have inflicted on Xykon during their fight is 34 hit points, and it was likely a good deal less--which means he wasn't within a country mile of killing him, or even seriously inconveniencing him.

(Would she count as level 10 for the purposes of the spell? I'm not familiar with the Mystic Theurge class and don't know what her effective cleric level would be as far as the spell is concerned).

Attila_the_Bun
2007-05-01, 04:53 AM

Well, #460 on the "975 things Mr. Welch can no longer do during an RPG (http://theglen.livejournal.com/16735.html)" is "I'd better have a real good excuse for being a necromancer if I'm lawful good".:smallbiggrin:

So evidently you're not the first person to try that. I think most of the "evil" associated with necromancy is based around it being unusually unnatural, beyond the sense that most magic is, to wrest a body from it's rightful slumber. The fact that they're slaves to your will doesn't help things, and the third strike is the fact that a zombie is basically being inhabited by an evil entity from another plane, which makes associating with them in any way kinda' questionable.

Fingolfin
2007-05-01, 05:10 AM
I am so going to invest into DOOM, it might have a lot of potential currently. :smallbiggrin:

Great comic. :smallwink:

Hypothetical
2007-05-01, 05:14 AM
Just say "Tukiko." There are enough Japanese who pronounce it that way that you can probably get away with it.

Actually, it would be "Su-kE-Ko". In a TS combonation the T becomes silent, and it sounds better than "Su-keh-kO".

Of course, you could use the TS as a hard CH, in which case it would most likely be CHuk-EE-ko.

That's just my two-copper....if you don't like it, give me my change!

Hypothetical
2007-05-01, 05:19 AM
did you see the lightining that V casted on....half the battlefield?!
V kicks ass

Could that be "Heavenly Lightning", which is an Exatled Arcanist 5th level spell? IT sure seems to cover a huge portion of the battlefield, and V is powerfull enough to , and I quote, "Tell the laws of Physics to sit down and shut up".

Hypothetical
2007-05-01, 05:33 AM
Well...the fecal matter is certainly hitting the oscilating unit.

I am 90% sure you mean that the fecal matter is hitting the rotating unit. While some rotating units oscilate, not all oscilating units rotate.

However, I would put forth that since the highly energetic walking skeleton is now at full health units, then the Order of the Simplistic Drawings is in fact heading towards the source of feces tributary with no means of primary locomotion.

BierNERD
2007-05-01, 05:54 AM
First one, so Hi everyone

I just thought about what would have happened if V would have cast all her nasty buffs on Belkar.

Dr. Simon
2007-05-01, 05:56 AM
Something else occurred to me. Inflict Critical Wounds harms (or heals, in the case of undead) 4d8+1/caster level damage, and it looks like it took Xykon right back up to full strength. Assuming Tsukiko is level 10 (lowest level she could be to cast the spell with Mystic Theurge), the most damage Roy could possibly have inflicted on Xykon during their fight is 34 hit points, and it was likely a good deal less--which means he wasn't within a country mile of killing him, or even seriously inconveniencing him.

Liches have Damage Reduction 15/bludgeoning and magic. Roy uses his +5 greatsword, which causes slashing damage and at max damage (2d6+5) is barely going to penetrate the DR. There's the unknown 'green flame' effect which, if it's a Bane-type weapon by the rules would add an extra 1d6 damage and Roy's Strength bonus - we could guess that he has some modifier but he doesn't seem to be a maxed-out melee monster.

So, not that much damage per round from Roy, no. It takes quite a few hits before Xycon even gets scuffed.

Hypothetical
2007-05-01, 06:16 AM
Liches have Damage Reduction 15/bludgeoning and magic. Roy uses his +5 greatsword, which causes slashing damage and at max damage (2d6+5) is barely going to penetrate the DR. There's the unknown 'green flame' effect which, if it's a Bane-type weapon by the rules would add an extra 1d6 damage and Roy's Strength bonus - we could guess that he has some modifier but he doesn't seem to be a maxed-out melee monster.

So, not that much damage per round from Roy, no. It takes quite a few hits before Xycon even gets scuffed.

The Starmetal Blade of Roys reforged weapon ignores damage reduction. But, go back through the battle...Roy only managed to get close enough to Xykon to hit him a few times. Xylon is an insanely powerful lich. So even blasting past the DR, he didn't take much damage. Unfortunatly Roy was hitting the Zombied Dragon far more often than he was hitting Xykon.

The sad part is, Xykon knew this..but Roy didn't. Xykon offers Roy several chances to back off, gain more levels, and come back when he was more able to make the battle interesting to Xykon. Roy just couldn't wait, and so kept attacking. So, Xykon says "Well, OK, if that's the way you want it" and nails him with the Meteor Shower.

Roy may have an INT score of 18, but his WIS must be around 6, or else he would have known he was doomed from the beginning.

The only good thing is, thanks to a lucky set of "DM ex Machina" Roy's body landed near Belkar, who will now stay close to him and keep any Clerics from Animating his Deadness into a force for Xykon.

Vhaidara
2007-05-01, 07:12 AM
Great comic Rich! I love how you've been taking initiative and getting comics out BEFORE midnight!

SteveMB
2007-05-01, 07:18 AM
Well, it looks like Belkar is the only success story from Hinjo's little work-release program.

I wonder if that'll help him get a better deal on the sentence thing (if it's still relevant after the battle, which is looking less likely).

daydreamer
2007-05-01, 07:31 AM
A wonderful comic, still think this evil girl shouldn't act so slutty, she's suppose to be evil not desperate to get treasure type O, then again Sabine isn't exactly a starring in the soung of music...Miko (if could count her as evil) seems to the only evil girl whose dream job wouldn't be a dominatrix.

carais
2007-05-01, 07:38 AM
Even if the alignment wouldn't fit, plus AC is basically an Asian city, I somehow expected her name to be Abby...

Glorfindel
2007-05-01, 07:44 AM
Nice detail: Tsukiko's eye colors match the color of the spells she casts in the last panel.

SteveMB
2007-05-01, 07:52 AM
And, in any case, he doesn't want to bone her.

(Yeah, I know, stop using "bone" as a verb (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0204.html)....)

EntilZha
2007-05-01, 07:53 AM
EVIL
a growth industry

That NEEDS to be a T-shirt!

Heck Yeah! That last panel would make an unbelievably cool T-shirt!

EntilZha
2007-05-01, 07:56 AM
YAY! New evil character! We've needed a good new evil character for a while! I luv her! She's cute and evil! Evil and cute is a great combo. I am rooting for her to stick around for a long time!

Agreed. Hot, evil women using magic....to quote Xykon himself...."Badass".

:smallbiggrin:

spectralphoenix
2007-05-01, 08:01 AM

(Would she count as level 10 for the purposes of the spell? I'm not familiar with the Mystic Theurge class and don't know what her effective cleric level would be as far as the spell is concerned). Actually, she still casts at a minimum of 7th level - she could be a wizard 3/ Cleric 3/ MT 4, but only the cleric and MT levels count towards her caster level for cleric spells. Of course, that doesn't mean she isn't higher than 10th level, or that she didn't cast it again.

So, not that much damage per round from Roy, no. It takes quite a few hits before Xycon even gets scuffed. I think his strength was supposed to be 20+ by now, which gets multiplied by 1.5 for a two-handed weapon, and he's probably power attacking (doubled for a two-hander,) and he has Weapon Specialization and probably Greater Weapon Specialization. And bane adds 2d6 extra damage.

Noneoyabizzness
2007-05-01, 08:05 AM
see stuff like that makes Me giddy.

SteveMB
2007-05-01, 08:09 AM
Er, why would she be interested in Redcloak? He's alive! :smalltongue:
Maybe she's one of those chicks who thinks the guy can change. This particular change ought to be easy enough to arrange if she catches him off guard just once.... :smallwink:

Sethis
2007-05-01, 08:22 AM
Hmm

The morally questionable portion of necrophillia is that the necrophilliac is having sex with an inanimate, mindless corpse. Once you start dealing with sentient undead, it either isn't a fetish or you need a new name for it.

Black Omega
2007-05-01, 08:25 AM
Actually, it would be "Su-kE-Ko". In a TS combonation the T becomes silent, and it sounds better than "Su-keh-kO".

Of course, you could use the TS as a hard CH, in which case it would most likely be CHuk-EE-ko.

That's just my two-copper....if you don't like it, give me my change!
Tsukiko is not hard to pronounce, if you can pronounce Tsunami.

Sue-Key-Koh.

ghostwlkr
2007-05-01, 09:00 AM
o guy i killed, the ground, the ground is calling......very nice

Dentarg
2007-05-01, 09:06 AM
If a T-Shirt is ever made of that last panel, I will SO buy it.

In other news, YES! A necromancer! *Cheers!*

pendell
2007-05-01, 09:19 AM
Unatural Sorecry Girl: Evil through and through...
AC is Doomed Now no hope at all...

I respectfully disagree.

Remember the way the first battle was going against Xykon, back at Dorukon's Dungeon. V was paralyzed, Haley and Elan were eating a symbol of pain, Durkon and Belkar were up to their neck in monsters, and Roy had just had his sword ... the only weapon that could hurt Xykon ... shattered.

And then things turned around.

The Giant is a master of dramatic tension ... of making things as bad as they can possibly be before some stupendous resolution that actually makes sense and was foreshadowed, if we were only paying attention.

So I won't write off the city until the battle's over, thanks. Although I agree it doesn't look good.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

pendell
2007-05-01, 09:55 AM

He's going down.

Don't think so.

Rule of Drama: BBEGs are not defeated by nameless NPCs. That's why, E.G., Darth Vader gets taken down by Luke Skywalker and not by a stray blaster shot during the "fighting in the corridor" scene at the beginning of the first Star Wars. Similar plot shielding effects the heroes -- that's why Yoda isn't simply shot down by a cheap-o battle droid.

Only PCs or named NPCs can take down named villains.

Which is one way drama is different from the real world, where the bullet marked 'to whom it may concern' kills everyone, regardless of dramatic tension.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Fabio_MP
2007-05-01, 09:56 AM
I know.... after the Ming is destroyed Frudo and his mage friend Gendulf will come to the rescue of Azure City after all they said they couldn't help because they had another quest (btw what about the 2 nice friend of Durkon? maybe they just finished storming the gates of hell and will come to AC to get an holiday...) :-)

CheezItMan
2007-05-01, 10:05 AM
Woo! A Mystic Theurge!

Go get 'em, over-powered prestige-class girl!

Mystic Theurge in practice is almost never overpowering. The loss of your highest level spells just kills it unless you can get good staves.

Practiced Spellcaster helps though.

sneezythesquid
2007-05-01, 10:08 AM
Love the strip, long time fan. And I finally had to register to add my voice to those asking for a t-shirt of that last panel. Try Off-World designs, they make quality gear. (And no, I am not affiliated with them in any way.)

Sebastian
2007-05-01, 11:59 AM

*snicker*

But she is not evil, didn't you read? She want to be evil. Probably she never did nothing serious enough to make them slip into evilness before and was just chaotic neutral (probably). And the same seem to be true for the dead rogue guy.

Shatteredtower
2007-05-01, 12:55 PM
The sad part is, Xykon knew this..but Roy didn't.

In Roy's defense, he won the first time they faced off in a one-on-one fight.

Roy just couldn't wait, and so kept attacking.

I don't think Roy had the luxury of letting an evil lich carry the battle, with his armies slaughtering hundreds (if not thousands) on his way to conquering the world, possibly destroying it in the process (since there's a chance he'll just release the Snarl uncontrolled into the world). It may make sense as a game mechanic, but neither deadlines nor moral guidelines tend to cooperate with such mechanics.

Roy may have an INT score of 18, but his WIS must be around 6, or else he would have known he was doomed from the beginning.The last time he faced Xykon, he knocked his head off with a single punch, then hurled him to his shattering (albeit temporary) destruction. This time, his sword is shatter-proof and much more effective against the undead.

And this time, he believes the world's at stake. We're not talking six months from now -- we're talking "Ding ding, Apocalypse calling, have you seen our lovely selection of world ending threads?"

Under the circumstances, Roy still would have gone up against Xykon even if he'd known his chances of success were infinitesimal. The job had to be done and Roy was the best qualified at the moment to do it. End of the World does not include timeouts. (Well, okay, it does in many computer RPGs, but most table top D&D doesn't follow that lead.)

Balance
2007-05-01, 01:09 PM
Why do necromancers always gotta be evil? Has anyone ever thought that having a good-aligned necromancer along on a campaign involving a lot of undead might be a good idea?There's a nation in my campaign world where undead are highly favored. The nation's patron deity is the Lady of Twilight, who erodes boundaries, including those between life and death. As a result, it's not unusual for people to rise as haunts (think free-willed, sentient zombies) after they die. This is considered a blessing, as it affords them a chance to say their goodbyes and tidy up their affairs before final death claims them. Necromancers and morticians are well-regarded, since they can extend the time a haunt can remain active before decay becomes too extensive for them to function. There are plenty of good-aligned haunts and necromancers around. (Of course, there are a few evil, psychotic ones thrown in to keep things interesting, too.)

The country is ruled by a triumvirate, with members chosen from the nobles (currently a vampire), the clergy (a necromancer-priestess of the Lady), and the common folk (currently a logger). They arguably do a better job than most kings.

The morally questionable portion of necrophillia is that the necrophilliac is having sex with an inanimate, mindless corpse. Once you start dealing with sentient undead, it either isn't a fetish or you need a new name for it.
There was a young man named Schultz
Whose tastes had arresting results
He slept with the dead
"'tis legal!" he said
"As long as they're consenting adults."

jindra34
2007-05-01, 02:11 PM
The country is ruled by a triumvirate, with members chosen from the nobles (currently a vampire), the clergy (a necromancer-priestess of the Lady), and the common folk (currently a logger). They arguably do a better job than most kings.

That's generally true considering it takes convincing at least one other person that it is a good idea, also is suspect that they are probably elected at the start of a period by the group they represent thus making them more cautious about making changes...

Dubiela
2007-05-01, 02:46 PM
Tsukiko was guilty 'cause she's a necromancer, or else, perform 'Unnatural Acts of Wizardy'

Wait just a minute: now Wizardry can be natural???

Why Hinjo did'nt mark the prisioners with some kind of spell to avoid (totally unexpected...) treasons, as Tsukiko and the other (dead) bad guy just did?

xyzchyx
2007-05-01, 02:49 PM
I'm beginning to think they would have been better off soliciting Miko's aid in repelling the invasion.

jindra34
2007-05-01, 02:50 PM
I'm beginning to think they would have been better off soliciting Miko's aid in repelling the invasion.

Except she would have killed the OOTs and may have killed Hinjo and others...

Sebastian
2007-05-01, 02:59 PM
MT gets absolutely no special abilities -- you get ten levels of dual casting but lose familiar bonuses, metamagic feats, and undead turning/rebuking. Also, it only lasts ten levels, so once you hit character level 16 you have to go back to single casting levels.

And to make it worse at 16 level your highest spell is 7th level rather than 8th and your caster level is 3 lower than your average adversary, with all that follow (easier to get dispelled, harder to dispel, lower DC for spells expecially with the strong MAD of the PrC) on the plus side you get a LOT more spells both forquality and quantity, but I'm not sure it is really worth it.

Friv
2007-05-01, 03:10 PM
To be fair to Hinjo, Scruffy only betrayed Hinjo. He was still fighting hobgoblins, and he made no indication that he wasn't going to continue fighting hobgoblins after offing Hinjo - he was just working for the jerk-nobles in Azure City.

That said, on a scale from 1 to Effective, Hinjo's plan appears to be a 3.Poor

shaddy_24
2007-05-01, 03:53 PM
I think Tsukiko will get killed by one of the OotS. They all seem to be getting a single duel, Belkar vs. GLG (ok, maybe not), Roy vs. Xykon and V. vs the Death Knight. Ok, they may be at either 1/3 or 0/2 depeinding on how you look at it, so it's up to the others to make the comeback (or cement the losing streak). Think of it: Durkon vs. Heuacuva (divine spell duel) Elan vs. the Eye (both semi-useless) and Haley vs. Tsukiko (good practice for Sabine, shooting down a flying foe). If you don't want to count Belkar as having finished his duel, there's always Redcloak or the MitD.
This way, everyone gets a one-on-one fight. They all get a chance in the spotlight. And they might all lose, just to make it seem that much more desparate.

lord_khaine
2007-05-01, 03:58 PM
i still think honestly that it could not have gone worse if Hinjo had instead let Miko out to fight, atm the betrayal count is 2/3, and at least if he made Miko swear on the 12 Gods, then there was a chance she would only chop hobgoblings.

Shatteredtower
2007-05-01, 04:08 PM
i still think honestly that it could not have gone worse if Hinjo had instead let Miko out to fight, atm the betrayal count is 2/3, and at least if he made Miko swear on the 12 Gods, then there was a chance she would only chop hobgoblings.

Well, sure, but he's got good reason for considering her dangerously unstable at the moment. The guy receiving severance pay from Belkar was perfectly rational, and Tsukiko was probably relegated to the creepy-but-sane-enough-for-battle side of things.

Also keep in mind that Hinjo is not being provided with all of the facts. No one ever took him aside and said, "Hey, yeah, boss, about the mystic theurge here, there's something you oughta know..." Kudos to him for avoiding micromanagement, but his people obviously don't know when to speak up yet.

armatil
2007-05-01, 04:15 PM
so.. when do the Team Evil T-shirts arrive?

Twilight Jack
2007-05-01, 04:18 PM
Well, sure, but he's got good reason for considering her dangerously unstable at the moment. The guy receiving severance pay from Belkar was perfectly rational, and Tsukiko was probably relegated to the creepy-but-sane-enough-for-battle side of things.

Also keep in mind that Hinjo is not being provided with all of the facts. No one ever took him aside and said, "Hey, yeah, boss, about the mystic theurge here, there's something you oughta know..." Kudos to him for avoiding micromanagement, but his people obviously don't know when to speak up yet.

Indeed. It also bears considering that Hinjo is young and, while hardly naive, does tend to believe the best about people. In many ways, his biggest flaw stands in stark contrast to Miko's, in that he's a bit too willing to offer a chance at redemption, even to those who've done little to merit one.

Miko would have summarily executed both GLG and Tsukiko, which might have been the more advantageous choice in this case (if still unapologetically ungood).

Suri
2007-05-01, 04:21 PM
Weeeeeeee Purple V dot shooting lightning ftw :D

AyuVince
2007-05-01, 05:05 PM
Hm, the Book of Vile Darkness seems to be more popular than I had thought. Wait, doesn't that feat's prerequisites state that "character must have willingly..." *disturbing mental image* :belkar:

I wouldn't buy Appl... I mean, Evil stocks. I have a feeling they will crash soon.