PDA

View Full Version : Where to put your phylactery.

Reprimand
2015-07-11, 06:47 AM
Is a room surrounded by lead with anti everything spells and the phylactery covered in anti everything spells 16374 miles below the surface and thousands of fake phylacteries covered in the same spells good enough including a spell book that has teleport and all the protection spells good enough to hide it?

Then teleport to your real spellbook and seek vengeance against the mooks that reckoned they could kill the unkillable?

noob
2015-07-11, 06:53 AM
Turn your phylactery in an human and make it build a phylactery and restart indefinitely so that people have to backtrack for ever and hide all the philactery with crazy methods like creating planes and filling them with protection spells also make tons of false phylactery for each phylactery then anyway stop caring about that because you put your mind inside of your immortal familiar(I know a manual allowing to have completely impossible to kill familiars and you can use that psi ability for definitive mind transfer).

ExLibrisMortis
2015-07-11, 07:15 AM
Well... if you really must have a phylactery (Faerūn's baelnorns - good-aligned elf liches - don't have one), then no. That kind of security is bound to show up on divination spells (during construction if nothing else), or, alternatively, the fact that a large area can't be divined upon is a sign something's up. If you were an adventurer, would you attack the quintuple-warded underground fortress of DEATH, or the inn you stayed at when first meeting up with your party? Not to mention that the cost is simply prohibitive.

What you want to do is to make sure there is some powerful being (deity, archdevil) that neccessarily benefits from keeping your phylactery intact. LE and LN are the ideal alignments for your patron, unless you're a baelnorn, as mentioned above. Make your phylactery a small icon or altar of the relevant patron, and set it up on that deity's home plane. The kind of deity that lets its altar be destroyed, on its home plane, really isn't much of a deity at all. Ergo, the deity will use their considerable power to protect your phylactery, if only to avoid loss of face. Downside: that's one deity you cannot afford to anger.

Reprimand
2015-07-11, 07:47 AM
Its not a fortress it's literally one room.

Potential Blackmail is almost certainly blackmail in the hands of a devil.

Which evil deity would deal favorably with a lich.

Hextor?

Dunno maybe the blackmail would be worth it but the devil seems to come on top.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-07-11, 08:24 AM
One room with thousands of fakes is an invitation to blast the room with Mordenkainen's disjunction (the magic on a phylactery can't be sold anyway, it's rather personal). And you still haven't dealt with the cost issue. You can just write 'protection from everything', but even if that means you made permanent magic items of a few dozen high-level spells, worth millions of gp, disjunction will still have words with it. And don't forget that as per LM 151, "A phylactery cannot be part of another magic item, nor may additional magical properties be built into it".

As for the deity idea: first, it's an example, second it's not blackmail, it's an altar (a good thing for the devil, in other words). Devils are likely to trick you, but you don't go offer them an altar, you just build an altar to Asmodeus in Hell, preferably close to Nessus. Your phylactery is a statue of Asmodeus on the altar, the whole place is lovingly unhallowed (as grandmother used to do it). As long as you're not doing it ironically, Asmodeus will not allow anyone to destroy that altar.

Becoming Vecna-blooded before becoming a lich might be the best way to protect your phylactery, or completing the entire process in the Far Realm or whatever (probably a bit hard to do).

Wee Jas is a safer bet for a LN lich, tricksomeness-wise, else you can try Nerull. Hextor will work as long as you smite a follower of Heironous occasionally.

noob
2015-07-11, 08:42 AM
Yes it is a good idea to maximize the number of allies you have also do not forget if you was a lich for less than 200 years you can be resurrected and recreate a phylactery if you have allies resurrecting you(if they are epic you can be dead for 20 years per 2 points they have in spellcraft(or much more if they use rituals with some bonus spell-caster))

Sian
2015-07-11, 10:08 AM
Shape it as an cheap plastic amulet and plant it on the demiplane of Yendor :smallbiggrin:

Brova
2015-07-11, 11:32 AM
Some options:

Create a simulacrum of a flying, untiring creature (i.e. zombie dragon), apply the invisible metamagic feat, and have it carry a lead box with permanency'd invisibility containing your warded phylactery around the upper atmosphere. Repeat with additional dragons carrying similarly warded lead boxes as needed.

Pick a creature with non-winged flight and add every speed enhancement you can. Have it carry your phylactery into outer space.

Ward your phylactery against fire and drop it into the sun or a volcano.

Telonius
2015-07-11, 11:53 AM
I used this one on a Dracolich once. A +3 Holy Dragonbane Greatsword. The phylactery was embedded in the tip of its matching (lead-lined) sheathe. (Very much not foolproof as far as being impossible-to-find; but my players were cursing me out for weeks afterwards for being that sneaky).

gooddragon1
2015-07-11, 11:55 AM
16374 miles below the surface

Just to mess with you :D...

If you were assuming a planet the size of our earth ~25000 miles in circumference

Circumference = 2 x Pi x radius (basically the depth to the center)

25000 = 2 x 3 (very rough estimate) x Radius
25000/6 = ~4200 Miles = Radius

You've buried in one side and out the other :D

You may return to your regularly scheduled thread.

EDIT: On a side note, does this count enough to kill some catgirls?

Thealtruistorc
2015-07-11, 12:15 PM
Isn't it obvious? Feed it to/implant it in/polymorph it into a double of the firstborn child of some elf archmage. Elf society is one of those aristocratic worlds where nobles are very protective of their bloodlines, and if people start going after a rich family then you can bet the father will do everything in his power to keep his heirs safe.

A roadside latrine hole also works. Nobody will want to investigate that.

Reprimand
2015-07-11, 12:40 PM
One room with thousands of fakes is an invitation to blast the room with Mordenkainen's disjunction (the magic on a phylactery can't be sold anyway, it's rather personal). And you still haven't dealt with the cost issue. You can just write 'protection from everything', but even if that means you made permanent magic items of a few dozen high-level spells, worth millions of gp, I]disjunction[/I] will still have words with it. And don't forget that as per LM 151, "A phylactery cannot be part of another magic item, nor may additional magical properties be built into it".

As for the deity idea: first, it's an example, second it's not blackmail, it's an altar (a good thing for the devil, in other words). Devils are likely to trick you, but you don't go offer them an altar, you just build an altar to Asmodeus in Hell, preferably close to Nessus. Your phylactery is a statue of Asmodeus on the altar, the whole place is lovingly unhallowed (as grandmother used to do it). As long as you're not doing it ironically, Asmodeus will not allow anyone to destroy that altar.

Becoming Vecna-blooded before becoming a lich might be the best way to protect your phylactery, or completing the entire process in the Far Realm or whatever (probably a bit hard to do).

Wee Jas is a safer bet for a LN lich, tricksomeness-wise, else you can try Nerull. Hextor will work as long as you smite a follower of Heironous occasionally.

I have until the end of time to assemble the reasources though as long as I don't start anything with high level adventurers.

Is there a succubus equivalent for devils?

What about demons? Or is that even less likely to work?

Doesn't Wee Jas hate undead or something though? She's all about the the eventual end of all things right? isn't my cheating death an affront to her?

I wouldn't touch Nerull with a 50000ft pole I just don't like the guy that much he cheated me in a card game too. No joke literally cheated no stakes either just straight up cheated.
Hextor I like but isn't he kind of more of a warrior mind set? I just wouln't want him to end up betraying me over something as silly as "You should stop hiding behind your spells and fight proper." I like him though because he's like the original blackguard. Gave his holier than thou LG brother a good what for.

Just to mess with you :D...

If you were assuming a planet the size of our earth ~25000 miles in circumference

Circumference = 2 x Pi x radius (basically the depth to the center)

25000 = 2 x 3 (very rough estimate) x Radius
25000/6 = ~4200 Miles = Radius

You've buried in one side and out the other :D

You may return to your regularly scheduled thread.

EDIT: On a side note, does this count enough to kill some catgirls?

I was trying to go for a big random number without looking up exact information based on our universe. lol.

We don't allow cat girls in our games not after last time.

Isn't it obvious? Feed it to/implant it in/polymorph it into a double of the firstborn child of some elf archmage. Elf society is one of those aristocratic worlds where nobles are very protective of their bloodlines, and if people start going after a rich family then you can bet the father will do everything in his power to keep his heirs safe.

A roadside latrine hole also works. Nobody will want to investigate that.

I know a wizard that didn't work out so well for in harry potter. or am I just implanting it and waiting around for 900 years for him to croak and reimplant it? Elves have a fairly low birth rate dunno if I'd trust that. Also what if she/he ends up being the black sheep or something.

But what about the mook that gets conned into doing that for the king when they go on a public sanitary campaign after some big plague? We're talking thousands of years humans change pretty fast and so does technology.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-07-11, 01:34 PM
If you do have NI resources, you can create a custom demiplane which only allows you to cast spells, including plane shift and gate and so on, then layer on defenses until the end of time. Or, even better, put the phylactery in a demiplane with a scroll of plane shift and some seed money, and destroy all gates and references to the demiplane. To prevent anyone knowing about it, create the demiplane somewhere secret, or make it a Vecna-blooded creature loyal to you (not sure if genesis allows creature planes - the spell can't create life, but planes are probably not living anyway).

Messing with time traits is tricky: if you give your demiplane 1 round:0 rounds on the material, you give anyone who gets inside infinite time to destroy your phylactery. On the other hand, 0:1 time means you take forever to regenerate (but you have infinite time to respond to an attacker getting inside).

Yes, there is the pleasure devil, Fiendish Codex II, page 134.

Demons are chaotic, which (in my mind) makes them less predictable, especially on the very long time scales you're apparently looking at.

Wee Jas does not hate undead, she is the Suel godess of death, magic and law (and the irrationality of love). She doesn't like undead created outside the law, and she doesn't like it when you desecrate Suel bodies (as she is a Suel godess primarily), but as long as you are willingly becoming undead, and performing the relevant rituals according to the law, you're totally fine. Don't rob graves; pay for your bodies.

Hextor is a physical warrior, but he is also a ruler and a war-leader. He doesn't dislike spellcasters, he just needs you to be useful in battle, and rule with an iron fist. If there's one thing a spellcaster can do, it's 'win a battle', and liches are probably more dangerous on the battlefield than others - that fear aura is nasty.