PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class Wind Warrior [PEACH]

mantia
2015-07-11, 08:58 AM
Wind Warrior

"I'm not sure what happened. One minute he was on the hill, the next he was among us with the bodies of eight of my men at his feet."
-surviving commander of troops sent to capture a student of The Storm.

A Wind Warrior is a student of a kind of martial arts that allow them to slip through the air with no resistance and to use the wind to extend and empower their attacks or to accelerate their strikes becoming flurries of steel.

Adventures: Wind Warriors of The Calm may adventure to hone their skills or earn honor for their clan. Wind Warriors of The Storm tend to adventure for personal gain or to prove their might.

Characteristics: Warriors of The Calm focus on dealing massive damage with a single attack and those of The Storm are mobile warriors with many attacks.

Alignment: Wind Warriors can be of any alignment. However, lawful Wind Warriors follow the Path of The Calm and chaotic Wind Warriors follow the Path of The Storm. Neutral Wind Warriors may follow one or the other.

Religion: Wind Warriors put more stock in the focus of the mind, though each uses this focus differently. A more religious Warrior may follow a deity of law or chaos or perhaps one of weather or air.

Background: Potential Wind Warriors seek a master to train them in the arts of the blade. Training usually involves meditation to reach the focus needed to split and move air with the edge of a blade. Although, in the case of Storm users, such meditation appears more similar to a rhythmic pattern of movement than meditation.

Races: Any race may become a Wind Warrior although the more savage races are less likely to have masters to learn from.

Other Classes: The Wind Warrior is respected as a skilled bladesman by most martial classes. Monks view the Wind Warrior's focus and training as similar to their own, even those who follow The Storm since their swordplay is always controlled and methodical despite their chaotic personality. Rouges appreciate the fact that the Wind Warrior can be stealthy but once combat breaks out are less enthusiastic about The Calm's tendency for loud noises and The Storm's tendency to dive through the ranks, though that means the Rouge doesn't have to tumble to flank.

Role: Wind Warriors arn't the toughest of fighters but have high damage output. Those of The Calm can clear a path through enemies with the Sonic Boom class feature and excel at seeking out and killing the toughest enemies. Those of The Storm tend to charge into the center of the threat and lay waste to everything nearby and excel at fighting large numbers of smaller foes.

Adaptation: The Wind Warrior may get their strength from somewhere other than mental focus, whether divine gift, latent magic, or psionic talent.

GAME RULE INFORMATION
Wind Warrior's have the following game statistics.
Abilities: All physical stats are important to the Wind Warrior. Strength is more important to those of The Calm but Dex is still important as they can only wear light armor. Dexterity is more important to those of The Storm especially if they wish to increase their dual wielding skills but Str is still needed for accuracy and damage. Constitution is equally useful for both Paths as they are always in melee combat.
Alignment: Any.
Hit Die: d8
Starting Age: As cleric.
Starting Gold: As fighter.

Class Skills
The Wind Warrior's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are...
Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).
Skill Points at First Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

CLASS NAME

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special
Unencumbered Move Bonus

1st

+1

+0

+2

+0
Way of the Wind
+0 ft.

2nd

+2

+0

+3

+0
Evasion
+0 ft.

3rd

+3

+1

+3

+1
Way of the Wind II
+5 ft.

4th

+4

+1

+4

+1
-
+5 ft.

5th

+5

+1

+4

+1
-
+5 ft.

6th

+6/+1

+2

+5

+2
Way of the Wind III, Gust/Sonic Boom 1/day, Gale Strike/Super Sonic
+10 ft.

7th

+7/+2

+2

+5

+2
-
+10 ft.

8th

+8/+3

+2

+6

+2
-
+10 ft.

9th

+9/+4

+3

+6

+3
Way of the Wind IV, Improved Evasion
+15 ft.

10th

+10/+5

+3

+7

+3
-
+15 ft.

11th

+11/+6/+1

+3

+7

+3
Gust/Sonic Boom 2/day
+15 ft.

12th

+12/+7/+2

+4

+8

+4
Way of the Wind V
+20 ft.

13th

+13/+8/+3

+4

+8

+4
-
+20 ft.

14th

+14/+9/+4

+4

+9

+4
-
+20 ft.

15th

+15/+10/+5

+5

+9

+5
Way of the Wind VI
+25 ft.

16th

+16/+11/+6/+1

+5

+10

+5
Gust/Sonic Boom 3/day
+25 ft.

17th

+17/+12/+7/+2

+5

+10

+5
-
+25 ft.

18th

+18/+13/+8/+3

+6

+11

+6
Way of the Wind VII
+30 ft.

[/tr]

19th

+19/+14/+9/+4

+6

+11

+6
-
+30 ft.

20th

+20/+15/+10/+5

+6

+12

+6
Way of the Wind VIII
+30 ft.

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the Wind Warrior.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Wind Warriors are proficient with all simple weapons and light armor but not shields. In addition Wind Warriors of The Calm gain proficiency with martial two-handed swords and martial bows. Wind Warriors of The Storm gain proficiency with martial one-handed and light swords (except the rapier) and repeating crossbows.

Way of the Wind: At first level the Wind Warrior chooses either the Path of The Calm or the Path of the Storm. Chaotic Wind Warriors CANNOT choose The Calm and lawful Wind Warriors CANNOT choose The Storm. At third level and every three levels after as well as at twentieth level, the Wind Warrior gains a bonus feat depending on which Path they chose (shown on the table below) even if they do not meet the prereqs for it. If they already have that feat they instead gain a bonus fighter feat.

Level
The Calm
The Storm

3rd
Power Attack
Two-Weapon Fighting

6th
Weapon Focus*
Mobility

9th
Cleave
Two-Weapon Defence

12th
Weapon Specialization*
Spring Attack

15th
Great Cleave
Improved Two-Weapon Fighting

18th
Greater Weapon Focus*
Whirlwind Attack

20th
Greater Weapon Specialization*
Greater Two-weapon Fighting

*These feats apply to a single martial two-handed sword.

Unencumbered Move Bonus (Ex): When wearing light or no armor and only lightly encumbered a Wind Warrior gains this bonus to their base movement speed.

Super Sonic - Calm (Ex): As a full-round attack, a Wind Warrior of The Calm can make a single attack. This attack gains +1 on the attack roll and deals sonic damage equal to the base weapon damage for each attack that they gave up. For example, if they are wielding a Greatsword (2d6) and have BaB of +6/+1 makes one attack at +7 and deals 4d6 (2 of which is sonic). You may not use this if you are wearing medium or heavy armor or not using a two-handed sword or bow that you have proficiency with.

Sonic Boom - Calm (Ex): 1+STR mod/day at sixth level and +1/day every five levels after, as a full-round attack, a Wind Warrior of The Calm can fire a line of sonic damage with range equal to their total current move speed. It stops at the first target it hits and deals damage equal to the bonus sonic damage from Super Sonic. The damage also increases by the base weapon damage again if you are using a weapon you have Weapon Specialization with (twice with Greater Spec.). It allows a Reflex save for half damage DC (10 + Str mod + attack bonus from Super Sonic). The DC also increases if you are using a weapon that you have Weapon Focus for (+1 for Focus, +2 for Greater Focus). Sonic Boom hits an additional target if you have Cleave and hits all targets in the line if you have Greater Cleave. The damage decreases by one multiple of base weapon damage for each target already hit. You may not use this if you are wearing medium or heavy armor or not using a two-handed sword that you have proficiency with.

Gale Strike - Storm (Ex): When making a full-round attack, a Wind Warrior of The Storm gains additional attacks at the same attack bonus as his off-hand weapon and vis-versa. He also takes a penalty to each hand for each extra attack that hand makes. For example when wielding an one-handed weapon, a light weapon, and Two-Weapon Fighting and BA +6/+1 normally get +4/-1 with the main hand and +4 with the off-hand. When using this they instead make +3/-2/+3 with the main hand and +2/+2/-3 with the off-hand. A Wind Warrior of The Storm can also use this ability while wielding a repeating crossbow in both hands. Doing so allows them to make two attacks for each base attack in a full round attack than and if the case needs to be reloaded part way through it can be replaced in exchange for a single attack. However the Wind Warrior takes penalties as if fighting with two weapons treating a light repeating crossbow as a light off-hand and a heavy as normal and takes an additional -2 to hit for any attacks made after replacing a cartridge. For example, BA: +6/+1 with 2 bolts in the current case with a light repeating crossbow becomes +4/+4/reload/-3. You may not use this if you are wearing medium or heavy armor or not using one-handed swords, light swords, and/or a repeating crossbow you have proficiency with.

Gust - Storm (Ex): 1+DEX mod/day at sixth level and +1/day every five levels after a Wind Warrior of The Storm gains the benefit of Pounce (can make a full round attack at the end of a charge). If they have the Spring attack feat they can move through their target and can use the movement after the target as part of the charge. If they have Whirlwind Attack they can split their attacks between any number of targets within reach of their charge.

mantia
2015-07-11, 09:13 AM
I originally submitted this in a contest (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?414463-Base-Class-Contest-XXVIII-(Maybe)-Morally-Justified). It didn't get much attention but i'd like to polish it because I like the idea.

Unfortunately it's a worse fighter, and needs an overhaul before being playable/good (like CW Samurai). I'd be happy to see it reposted and worked into something tier 3-5 (depending upon design goal).

The intent was at least a tier or two above fighter not quite sure how this class is worse. I'd like to see this comment elaborated.

It was suggested that it needs more class features but not quite sure what to add.

nikkoli
2015-07-11, 09:36 AM
I like the class, it's got some cool mechanics.
But I think said quote had a problem of how many dead levels there are. I also think that if you set uses per day for abilities to maybe 1+ dex mod for the storm and 1+str mod for the calm it will strengthen the skills. Maybe adding a couple of floating feats from combat feats will also take up some of the dead levels, where am you get is a bab and HP for leveling up.

Zaydos
2015-07-11, 11:12 AM
The intent was at least a tier or two above fighter not quite sure how this class is worse. I'd like to see this comment elaborated.

It was suggested that it needs more class features but not quite sure what to add.

It's a melee combatant with d8 hit dice, and its main class feature is a set of 7 fixed bonus feats, only light armor proficiency, no ranged weapon proficiency, and possibly no two-hander proficiency.

Fort is a better save than Reflex; Evasion helps change that dichotomy, but you're still running on less hit points, less feats, and worse proficiencies.

It does have some neat things, but the only one that's particularly strong is the two-weapon fighting one and that runs into the problem of you're running catch up with greatsword, and since 2/day pounce isn't worth 10 levels you'll just PrC out (and really the fighter already has) or take some rogue/sneak attack fighter levels (rogues love 2 weapon fighting).

To be tier 3 it theoretically needs some out of combat utility, or can go the warblade route and just be able to compete when it's main schtick in combat fails (though there's a reason you'll see long arguments about whether warlock is a higher tier than warblade and that they should be switched).

The big thing that would help is more class features and remembering that fixed bonus feat < bonus feat from wide list.

mantia
2015-07-11, 03:04 PM
I like the class, it's got some cool mechanics.
But I think said quote had a problem of how many dead levels there are. I also think that if you set uses per day for abilities to maybe 1+ dex mod for the storm and 1+str mod for the calm it will strengthen the skills. Maybe adding a couple of floating feats from combat feats will also take up some of the dead levels, where am you get is a bab and HP for leveling up.

The scaling uses is a good idea but I'd rather not float feats for this. It was supposed to feel like a ranger where you make a choice and you can use your base feats to expand on that or round them out.

It's a melee combatant with d8 hit dice, and its main class feature is a set of 7 fixed bonus feats, only light armor proficiency, no ranged weapon proficiency, and possibly no two-hander proficiency.

Fort is a better save than Reflex; Evasion helps change that dichotomy, but you're still running on less hit points, less feats, and worse proficiencies.

It does have some neat things, but the only one that's particularly strong is the two-weapon fighting one and that runs into the problem of you're running catch up with greatsword, and since 2/day pounce isn't worth 10 levels you'll just PrC out (and really the fighter already has) or take some rogue/sneak attack fighter levels (rogues love 2 weapon fighting).

To be tier 3 it theoretically needs some out of combat utility, or can go the warblade route and just be able to compete when it's main schtick in combat fails (though there's a reason you'll see long arguments about whether warlock is a higher tier than warblade and that they should be switched).

The big thing that would help is more class features and remembering that fixed bonus feat < bonus feat from wide list.

They might not have bows but they still get simple weapons like crossbows so it's not like they get screwed out of range. Monks have d8 and NO armor proficiency but I've always thought of them as pretty powerful. Is that because of the AC booster? How about some kind of defensive power for both paths like some kind of supernatural wind that affects projectiles like entropic shield? Maybe we can expand proficiencies. Bows for the Calm and have rules in Super Sonic for a boosted arrow. Repeating Crossbows for Storm and have Gale Strike make a hail of bolts. I feel like there should be some features both paths get but I'm not sure what else to give them. Some kind of supernatural feather fall that grows to fly at higher levels? It does need something that makes higher levels more enticing.

mantia
2015-07-14, 01:26 PM
Updated to include ranged weapons for when melee is impossible or foolish. The usable any time features apply to ranged weapons but the usable certain number/day features are still melee only since that is the main identity for the class(and mechanically make no sense with range stuff so). Also increased the number of times per day those features can be used based on STR/DEX.

I would like some thoughts on more class features. Right now I'm toying with a percent miss against projectiles for one round after making a melee full attack (whether or not that full attack is empowered) and some kind of evolving mobility feature like a bonus to jump/wall run thing -> feather fall/reduced falling damage -> limited flight.

mantia
2015-09-02, 07:02 PM
Okay so I have been busy recently so I haven't kept this updated but I did want this PEACH'd and so I'm reviving it solely because I would like it perfected.

Eno Remnant
2015-09-02, 10:08 PM
Your biggest question should be: how does this class stand out from a TWF/Two-Handed Fighter with a Barbarian/Rogue dip, Power Attack and a wondrous item that deals sonic damage?

This class has a lower hit dice, a worse good save (Reflex saves are usually made for less than dangerous things than Fortitude saves), and can be replicated without too much trouble. If you want this to be a primary melee class, you need to give it a second good save (maybe it changes based on your chosen path. Will for Calm, Fort for Storm) and increase the hit dice to a d10. If you want it to be secondary melee, you need to give more benefits for moving around.

Right now, the class seems to be a mess of both primary and secondary. The Path of Calm is primary melee, where you need to be able to stand still and take hits so that you can unleash more damage. The Path of Storm is secondary melee, focused on multiple attacks, hoping to trade off better damage for more chances to hit. The class isn't really strong enough to do either of those.

What's really important to the class is that you get it away from being a Fighter. Bonus feats are nice, but they are not a stand-in for actual class features. And what class features you have are limited and don't scale.

Perhaps you should focus on the wind motif a bit. Maybe the Path of Storm can increase the power of the wind, and the Path of Calm can decrease it. Perhaps they can make a full-attack with a slashing weapon at range, with the attacks doing sonic damage to represent blades of air launched at your enemies.

I know there's a lot more "do not" than "do" in this, but I don't have a lot of ideas on how to help. Someone else may have some thoughts that will work for you better. All I can offer is a list of things that need changing to improve the class.

mantia
2015-09-02, 11:10 PM
Your biggest question should be: how does this class stand out from a TWF/Two-Handed Fighter with a Barbarian/Rogue dip, Power Attack and a wondrous item that deals sonic damage?

This class has a lower hit dice, a worse good save (Reflex saves are usually made for less than dangerous things than Fortitude saves), and can be replicated without too much trouble. If you want this to be a primary melee class, you need to give it a second good save (maybe it changes based on your chosen path. Will for Calm, Fort for Storm) and increase the hit dice to a d10. If you want it to be secondary melee, you need to give more benefits for moving around.

Right now, the class seems to be a mess of both primary and secondary. The Path of Calm is primary melee, where you need to be able to stand still and take hits so that you can unleash more damage. The Path of Storm is secondary melee, focused on multiple attacks, hoping to trade off better damage for more chances to hit. The class isn't really strong enough to do either of those.

What's really important to the class is that you get it away from being a Fighter. Bonus feats are nice, but they are not a stand-in for actual class features. And what class features you have are limited and don't scale.

Perhaps you should focus on the wind motif a bit. Maybe the Path of Storm can increase the power of the wind, and the Path of Calm can decrease it. Perhaps they can make a full-attack with a slashing weapon at range, with the attacks doing sonic damage to represent blades of air launched at your enemies.

I know there's a lot more "do not" than "do" in this, but I don't have a lot of ideas on how to help. Someone else may have some thoughts that will work for you better. All I can offer is a list of things that need changing to improve the class.

So what i'm hearing is movement for Storm and defensive for Calm.

The features do scale. With a stat (either Str or Dex), with the movespeed boost (giving extra range on the Sonic Boom and Gust), and with the feats both sides get.

Sonic Boom is most definitely a ranged melee attack that can hit multiple targets with Cleave feats. While the Storm does not have a ranged attack he can blow past his enemies and out of their reach.

Any way I guess Storm should get some kind of 3D movement and how about some kind of deflection bonus from an air bubble on Calm?