PDA

View Full Version : Shifting Point of View: do you like it?

CardinalFang
2007-04-30, 06:31 PM
In light of all the spoiler threads abounding, I thought something about the battle itself and the strip in general would be nice. So, the question is this: do you like all of the cliffhangers/position-switching that the Giant does? Or would you rather that he focus on one person or group of people until their stuff was resolved, and then switch to another subject?

Twilight Jack
2007-04-30, 06:37 PM
I love it the way he's doing it. By leaving us to wonder for another few days on any given development, he's really ratcheting up the tension here. I just read the newest comic minutes ago, and I already have an all-encompassing need for the next five updates.

Consider the difference if he'd kept with Vaarsuvius this whole time. We'd have lost the experience of a larger battle with everyone and everything on the line. We'd still be wondering if V could hold that one breach, with no experience of the parapets, the attempted assassination of Hinjo, Belkar's hob-corpse fortress, or Roy's heroic efforts and untimely demise.

Setra
2007-04-30, 06:38 PM
Personally, I like it, it's kind of nice to see what everyone is doing, instead of what one is doing for a long period of time.

Alas, more Durkon is needed.

mikeejimbo
2007-04-30, 06:41 PM
I think it's good, because it keeps the battle present, and reminds us that all of this is going on at once. Battle is, I'm told, a very hectic thing.

CardinalFang
2007-04-30, 06:42 PM
Personally, I like it, it's kind of nice to see what everyone is doing, instead of what one is doing for a long period of time.

Alas, more Durkon is needed.
Yes please, more Durkon. Although I REALLY liked the interjection of Dwarven ideals. A lot of people seemed to disagree, but it was VERY in character for him, and very counter to what most of us are used to thinking...a great job at writing a non-human.

I definitely like the cliffhangers and the greater scope of the battle...but at the same time, I want to know what happens to everyone. :D

Jawajoey
2007-04-30, 06:55 PM
It wouldn't make any sense to do it any other way.

And I really don't mind the cliffhangers. It's the cliffhangers between comics that get to me, like the weekend of meteor swarmed Roy. I personally don't mind waiting several comics to find out his ultimate fate as long as I get more good stuff, like today's comic.

evileeyore
2007-04-30, 06:58 PM
For over 400 comics we have enjoyed the cliffhanger/perspective switching during the dramatic scenes. I am sure it will stay.

Mad Scientist
2007-04-30, 07:33 PM
Without the alternating points of view we couldn't see the Redclock & Mitd discussion AND Belkar's attack of stabbity death - both of which were hilarious!

Dalenthas
2007-04-30, 08:12 PM
The alternating viewpoints are a good way to remind people that a lot of crap is going on. It's only really been a few rounds since the battle started.
It's very hectic.

Icewalker
2007-04-30, 09:14 PM
Yeah, I think he's doing a great job with it. Keeps everything spinning around and confusing, yet revealing.

Elliot Kane
2007-04-30, 09:22 PM
It shows the sheer scope of the battle. An awful lot is happening over a vast area, and concentrating on one tiny part would lose the epic feel.

I like this approach, personally :)

Black_Light83
2007-04-30, 09:26 PM
LOL, 37 vs 1 ( as of this post)

but ya i love how it shows whats going on from alot of peoples perspectives. its nice to get alot of xylon heavy comics :smallbiggrin:

Sir_Banjo
2007-04-30, 09:35 PM
I like the shifting points of view.

Pulp Fiction would have been half the movie it was if they'd told the different storylines one after another. Mixing it up is good, it keeps things fresh.