PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Werearrakocrabear monk

Arcuriel
2015-07-11, 02:36 PM
Had a character idea I felt like sharing...

DISCLAIMER: This character is ridiculous, and requires iffy extrapolations of the rules. I would never use it in a game without first explaining it in full to the DM, would never attend a session without a backup character, and do not expect it to ever be approved by any sane DM. This is entirely for fun.

Step 1: Monks use relatively weak unarmed strikes, but make up for it by using lots of them.

Step 2: Aarakocra claws can be used as an unarmed strike.

Step 3: Extrapolating from the Aarakocra example, it's not unreasonable to consider bear claws to be a bear's unarmed strike.

Step 4: Level 1 Werebear Aarakocra Monk flies out of the sky, half-shifted, screeching at terrified goblins and tearing them to pieces with 2d8 unarmed strikes.

Ralanr
2015-07-11, 02:44 PM
How the hell would wings support the bear?

And do werebears even have unarmed strike damage die?

Arcuriel
2015-07-11, 02:50 PM
Technically they don't have an unarmed strike; that's why it's such an iffy concept. Aarakocra can use their claws as unarmed strikes, which is a slight precedent, but the character doesn't entirely fit in RAW or RAI.

As for the wings, I assume they would grow with the rest of the body in a half-shift, but that might not be enough...

JNAProductions
2015-07-11, 02:52 PM
The issue is, Werebear isn't available to players. If it was, it'd definitely count as a couple levels, like the old LA from 3.P.

Arcuriel
2015-07-11, 02:54 PM
The Lycanthrope entry in MM gives a guide for applying a curse to a player.

JNAProductions
2015-07-11, 02:57 PM
It also says the DM has free license to NPC you while Lycanthropized.

Arcuriel
2015-07-11, 02:58 PM
Yeah; my thought was that if the alignment doesn't change, the DM might choose not to, but that'd be to their discretion, of course. All of this concept pretty much requires a DM who puts up with large quantities of shenanigans.

Shining Wrath
2015-07-11, 03:00 PM
As a playgrounder, I approve of this mental image. Does a bear defecate in wooded areas? Look up and find out.

As a DM, I'm imposing a LA of 5. You can't use this thing until the rest of the party hits L6, and you'll be a L1 monk.

JNAProductions
2015-07-11, 03:04 PM
As a playgrounder, I approve of this mental image. Does a bear defecate in wooded areas? Look up and find out.

As a DM, I'm imposing a LA of 5. You can't use this thing until the rest of the party hits L6, and you'll be a L1 monk.

As a DM, I'd agree with this. HOWEVER, I'd also give you an extra 5d10 HP of Werebear levels.

Arcuriel
2015-07-11, 03:04 PM

A more terrifying version of a pidgeon attack...
BOMBS AWAY!

Arcuriel
2015-07-11, 03:07 PM
Also, I'm not even sure 5 levels would be enough of a penalty; a level 20 monk gets 1d10=5.5 damage unarmed strikes, whereas this character would be getting 2d8=9 from the moment they unlocked the capacity to make un-bear-able puns.

EDIT: And they'd be able to grapple-drop Large enemies, thanks to their size increase.

JNAProductions
2015-07-11, 03:09 PM
unlocked the capacity to make un-bear-able puns.

I RESCIND MY FORMER OPINION! THIS IS NO LONGER ALLOWED!

I have a burning hatred for puns of all sorts. For each pun this character makes... He dies.

Arcuriel
2015-07-11, 03:11 PM
I RESCIND MY FORMER OPINION! THIS IS NO LONGER ALLOWED!

I have a burning hatred for puns of all sorts. For each pun this character makes... He dies.

Wait, no! Just bear with me for a minute!

/hoping to stall for enough time to construct a suitable bearricade

Arcuriel
2015-07-11, 03:19 PM
...did I accidentally come up with a variant owlbear character?

JNAProductions
2015-07-11, 03:24 PM

You did indeed.

DracoKnight
2015-07-11, 03:25 PM
This thread has inspired an NPC that my players will now meet at some point in the future. :D

Arcuriel
2015-07-11, 04:15 PM
This thread has inspired an NPC that my players will now meet at some point in the future. :D

Glad you like and/or hate it :P

DracoKnight
2015-07-11, 04:17 PM
Glad you like and/or hate it :P

I love it! :D

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-13, 06:04 AM
Had a character idea I felt like sharing...

DISCLAIMER: This character is ridiculous, and requires iffy extrapolations of the rules. I would never use it in a game without first explaining it in full to the DM, would never attend a session without a backup character, and do not expect it to ever be approved by any sane DM. This is entirely for fun.

Step 1: Monks use relatively weak unarmed strikes, but make up for it by using lots of them.

Step 2: Aarakocra claws can be used as an unarmed strike.

Step 3: Extrapolating from the Aarakocra example, it's not unreasonable to consider bear claws to be a bear's unarmed strike.

Step 4: Level 1 Werebear Aarakocra Monk flies out of the sky, half-shifted, screeching at terrified goblins and tearing them to pieces with 2d8 unarmed strikes.

It's nice, but enough people said the problems.

And you first have to become a werearrakockrabear.

KorvinStarmast
2015-07-13, 08:10 AM
As a playgrounder, I approve of this mental image. Does a bear defecate in wooded areas? Look up and find out. I endorse this clarified message. But might you now ask "Does a bear defecate on the woods?"

Joe the Rat
2015-07-13, 08:24 AM

You did indeed.
Dammit, that's what I was coming in to say!

But to be fair, I'd call it a wereowlbear. That'd be a hoot.