PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Fiendish Player Race (PEACH)

DracoKnight
2015-07-11, 02:51 PM
This is based on a player race that was one of my very first homebrews (I didn't post it here), that was extremely overpowered. I brought down the power level by a lot, but am still not sure that it's not OP. I mainly want to finish this race so that it will be the counter-balance (fluff and lore-wise) to my Angelic race: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?411563-Angelic-Players

Fiend

Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score increases by 2.
Age. No one knows how long fiends live for, and it is assumed that they are immortal, however if they fall in combat, their physical form disappears and they go back to where they came from.
Alignment. Fiends are almost always evil, but perhaps you are fiend that is trying to battle against what they are. Either that, or pretending to be good is just part of your deception.
Size. Your physical for stands somewhere between 5' and 7' tall. Your size is medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. Your ties to the Nine Hells make your darkvision unusual: everything you see in darkness is in a shade of red.
Infernal Being. You know the Thaumaturgy cantrip, and beginning at 3 level, you may cast Hellish Rebuke as a 2nd level spell once between long rests. Charisma is your spellcasting ability.
Tempter. You have proficiency in the Deception and Persuasion skills.
Languages. You can read, write, and speak Common.
Subrace. You are a particular kind of fiend.

Lesser Chain Devil
Ability Score Increase. Your Strength or Dexterity score increases by 1.
Alignment. You tend towards lawful, punishing those who lived their lives for evil.
Torturer. Concealed within your physical form are the chains that you use to torture your victims. You may manifest two of these chains on each of your arms, and they each deal 1d4 slashing damage. At 11th level you may manifest a third chain. You must make a separate attack roll for each chain, but when you take the attack action you may use all of the chains on one arm. You may use both arms if you have a class feature which allows you to make more than one attack when you take the attack action. These chains possess the reach and finesse properties.
Languages. You can read, write, and speak Infernal.

Lesser Succubus/Inccubus
Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 1.
Alignment. You tend towards the chaotic, tempting all who cross your path.
Seductive. As an action, you can target one creature. That creature must then succeed on a Wisdom saving throw against you. If they fail you polymorph into their perfect ideal of a sexual partner, and they become Charmed by you. If you or your allies deal damage to the Charmed creature, they may repeat the Wisdom saving throw. On a success the Charmed effect ends. The DC for this saving throw is 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier.
Languages. You can read, write, and speak Abyssal and Infernal.

Lesser Daemon
Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score does not increase by 2. Instead your Dexterity score increases by 2, and your Charisma score increases by 1.
Alignment. You are generally more neutral. You can either be the kind of fiend to go on a rampage or form a pact.
Demonic Power. You know the Produce Flame and Chill Touch cantrips. Charisma is your spellcasting ability.
Demonic Resilience. You gain 1 extra hit point every time you level up.
Languages. You can read, write, and speak Abyssal.

JNAProductions
2015-07-11, 03:03 PM
Base chassis-All good.

Chain-I'd drop it down to two chains. 3d4 (eventually 3d6) damage per arm is a tad high.

Sucubbus-Seems good to me.

Daemon-Flight... It's the BirdMen all over again. They don't even get Darkvision and have a reduced walking speed, as well as limits on their flight. I'd give something else, like Infernal Strength (+1 HP/level) or something.

DracoKnight
2015-07-11, 03:09 PM
Base chassis-All good.

Chain-I'd drop it down to two chains. 3d4 (eventually 3d6) damage per arm is a tad high.

Sucubbus-Seems good to me.

Daemon-Flight... It's the BirdMen all over again. They don't even get Darkvision and have a reduced walking speed, as well as limits on their flight. I'd give something else, like Infernal Strength (+1 HP/level) or something.

Chain: okay, I will drop it to 2 chains :)

Succubus/Incubus: Okay :)

Daemon: what if they didn't get it until a later level. Say, level 5 when spellcasters get Fly. So for those 1st 5 levels, there's not a whole lot of a reason to play them, but when you get to level 5, they're suddenly good too? If this suggestion is something that the forum doesn't like, I'll look at other options :D

JNAProductions
2015-07-11, 03:10 PM
I'd be careful with flight at any level. most people don't get permenant flight till higher levels (14 the earliest, I think).

I'd just give 'em something else.

DracoKnight
2015-07-11, 03:11 PM
I'd be careful with flight at any level. most people don't get permenant flight till higher levels (14 the earliest, I think).

That is a good point... which (and I honestly don't have a real issue with the Aarakocra) makes me question what they did in the Elemental Evil book with the Aarakocra :P

DracoKnight
2015-07-11, 03:18 PM

I took away their flight :)

JNAProductions
2015-07-11, 03:23 PM
Looks good to me. I might play as these guys just for Thaumaturgy. (I love that cantrip.)

DracoKnight
2015-07-11, 03:27 PM
Looks good to me. I might play as these guys just for Thaumaturgy. (I love that cantrip.)

Most people in the games I play in completely ignore it, even when they're playing a Tiefling. I think it's pretty neat, especially seeing as how many times Gandalf uses its effects in the LotR films :) I feel it should be on more than just the Cleric's spell list. :P

JNAProductions
2015-07-11, 03:28 PM
My players used it to pretend to be Tiamat in HotDQ and got the cultist to fight amongst themselves. It's darn diddly useful.

DracoKnight
2015-07-11, 03:29 PM
My players used it to pretend to be Tiamat in HotDQ and got the cultist to fight amongst themselves. It's darn diddly useful.

That's GENIUS!! I might have to use that (my DM is going to start running that game tonight, and I have a Tiefling rolled up as a back up character)

DracoKnight
2015-07-11, 07:38 PM
Any other thoughts as to the race itself?

Pyon
2015-08-18, 08:48 AM
It looks fine to me! I was looking for a balanced Succubus class and this looks fine.

Demonic Spoon
2015-08-18, 03:23 PM
Hellish Rebuke should really scale. It gets pretty bad as a racial power at higher levels unless it does.

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-08-19, 07:23 AM
Hellish Rebuke should really scale. It gets pretty bad as a racial power at higher levels unless it does.

I do enjoy scaling benefits as much as the next guy. However, it does seem outside of the 5e model with the singular instance of the dragonborn's breath weapon. And its because of that very same 1/rest feature that they didn't give it much else in the way of racial features.

DracoKnight
2015-08-19, 03:29 PM
I do enjoy scaling benefits as much as the next guy. However, it does seem outside of the 5e model with the singular instance of the dragonborn's breath weapon. And its because of that very same 1/rest feature that they didn't give it much else in the way of racial features.

This ^ It's 1/long rest (day), but they get a bunch of other things AND they're casting it as a 2nd level spell. That makes it 3d10 as a reaction.

DracoKnight
2015-08-19, 03:31 PM
It looks fine to me! I was looking for a balanced Succubus class and this looks fine.

I'm glad that you like it! I was looking for a balanced succubus too, but couldn't find one, so I said "F*ck it! I'll make one!" :D

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-08-20, 06:07 AM
This ^ It's 1/long rest (day), but they get a bunch of other things AND they're casting it as a 2nd level spell. That makes it 3d10 as a reaction.

Sorry for lack of clarity. I meant to be speaking of the dragonborns breath weapon. But yes the hellish rebuke you have listed is nice and does make sense. I am fine with the race you have listed.

Demonic Spoon
2015-08-20, 09:21 AM

There's nothing about 5e's design that removes the need for scaling.

There are two examples of a race getting a per-rest-limited damage feature - there's the dragonborn's breath weapon, which does scale, and the Tiefling's Hellish Rebuke, which does not.

If you think level-appropriate damage for Hellish Rebuke is overpowered given all of the other features the fiend gets, surely the race is overpowered at low levels? I actually think this might be the case - the other features do look pretty strong, especially the two extra skill proficiencies.