PDA

View Full Version : Does this kind of game exist? A 2D TRPG

Hytheter
2015-07-12, 03:45 AM
This probably needs clarification. Obviously there are 2D Tactical RPGs, but in these the POV is usually top down or similar and movement takes place in a horizontal plane (eg North-South and East West axes), often with a limited or absent vertical component.

What I'm looking for is a game with only one horizontal axis and a vertical axis, so left-right up-down. Put another way, I'm looking for a Tactical RPG with level design that might resemble a 2D platformer. Think Fire Emblem on a Super Mario Bros stage. Does that make sense?

Does anyone know of such a game?

Gandariel
2015-07-12, 12:36 PM
I distinctly remember a flash game or two. They were both short and kinda linear (but I suppose it's necessary :P)

I'll try using my google-fu

EDIT: Found one:
http://www.kongregate.com/games/StickpageDOTcom/stick-war

Gandariel
2015-07-14, 08:03 AM
Ooh, they made a second installment! Google stick wars 2. It's basically Starcraft in 2D

Tvtyrant
2015-07-14, 08:15 AM
This probably needs clarification. Obviously there are 2D Tactical RPGs, but in these the POV is usually top down or similar and movement takes place in a horizontal plane (eg North-South and East West axes), often with a limited or absent vertical component.

What I'm looking for is a game with only one horizontal axis and a vertical axis, so left-right up-down. Put another way, I'm looking for a Tactical RPG with level design that might resemble a 2D platformer. Think Fire Emblem on a Super Mario Bros stage. Does that make sense?

Does anyone know of such a game?

Are you talking about something like megaman.exe?

OracleofWuffing
2015-07-14, 08:21 AM
The 2D Worms games come to mind, but not so much on the RPG side.

Hytheter
2015-07-15, 03:07 AM
Hm, I'm thinking maybe I didn't explain myself well enough. When I'm talking about the axes I mean, in a normal TRPG or most strategy games in general movement is on a plane and units can walk in any direction. You can walk "up" because up just means walking overland rather than up into the sky. What I'm talking about it like in a platformer like Super Mario Bros where you can only walk left and right - to move up and down you'd have to jump, climb or fly.

So Megaman Battle doesn't fit, because it's more "normal" in terms of movement planes. It does have some pretty big differences to other TRPGs in other ways though, just not in the way I'm looking for. Stick Wars is in the same boat as well as being more RTS than RPG, which is logical considering your Starcraft comparison.

Worms is a good fit for what I'm talking about mechanically. As you said though, it definitely isn't an RPG.

Anyway, even though I just kinda shot everything down, I am thankful for your help! I admit that what I'm seeking is very specific, and I honestly wasn't really expecting to find it. Maybe my added clarification will stir something up, but no biggie if it doesn't. My reason for asking is that I'm actually thinking up a game like that, so I wanted to see if it had been done before and whether there are any notes I should take from it or whether I should bother.

Gandariel
2015-07-15, 03:38 AM
Being on only one axis, I honestly don't think you'll ever find anything more complex than Stick Wars 2. But hey, report it if you do find it!