PDA

View Full Version : Crippling and dismemberment

Ralanr
2015-07-12, 02:42 PM
Are there any rules for these in 5e? I don't have the dmg so I haven't had the chance to memorize that stuff.

Example for crippling: Stabbing a knife throw a spellcasters main hand.

ImSAMazing
2015-07-12, 03:35 PM
Are there any rules for these in 5e? I don't have the dmg so I haven't had the chance to memorize that stuff.

Example for crippling: Stabbing a knife throw a spellcasters main hand.

When players say for example: "I aim my hit with Divine Smite at the Zombie Ogre's left knee", and they deal not a bad amount of damage, I give a common sense penalty, -5 feet movement for example. Right or left hand doesnt matter with spell casters.

Ralanr
2015-07-12, 03:51 PM
I always assumed casters casted with their main hand or with both hands.

EvanescentHero
2015-07-12, 04:29 PM
I always assumed casters casted with their main hand or with both hands.

You only need one hand free for somatic components, and casters probably practice the motions with both hands in case they're holding a weapon or something.

There's a Lingering Wounds table in the DMG. I'm AFB, so I don't know the page number. It sounds more like you're looking for a called shots table though, which I don't believe we have currently.

Gurka
2015-07-12, 08:01 PM
I'm not aware of a system for making called shots, but the way I've been doing it is to impose disadvantage on an attack aimed to hit a specific location. It still does full normal HP damage (usually), but has an additional effect depending on what they were trying to do.

It's worked fine so far; not quite as granular as I'd like, but it's probably the best you're going to get with the available complexity of 5e.

Dark Ass4ssin 1
2015-07-12, 09:36 PM
You only need one hand free for somatic components, and casters probably practice the motions with both hands in case they're holding a weapon or something.

There's a Lingering Wounds table in the DMG. I'm AFB, so I don't know the page number. It sounds more like you're looking for a called shots table though, which I don't believe we have currently.

Lingering injuries are found on page 272, they occur when " when it takes a critical hit
When it drops to 0 HP but isn't killed outright
When it fails a death saving throw by 5 or more"

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-13, 06:35 AM
When players say for example: "I aim my hit with Divine Smite at the Zombie Ogre's left knee", and they deal not a bad amount of damage, I give a common sense penalty, -5 feet movement for example. Right or left hand doesnt matter with spell casters.

You just said -5ft movement, because he still could hit me (and he DID 15 damage to the 14hp wizard with 1hp at that moment).
It sounds for me more logical that it does less damage (you don't hit his heart or head) but that he walks with half speed).

EvanescentHero
2015-07-13, 07:38 AM
I'm not aware of a system for making called shots, but the way I've been doing it is to impose disadvantage on an attack aimed to hit a specific location. It still does full normal HP damage (usually), but has an additional effect depending on what they were trying to do.

It's worked fine so far; not quite as granular as I'd like, but it's probably the best you're going to get with the available complexity of 5e.

That sounds pretty elegant, actually. I might use that.

Joe the Rat
2015-07-13, 08:18 AM

Normal disadvantage, as in "take the lower, and if it doesn't meet AC you miss entirely?" The cancelled by Advantage type? I've got mixed feelings there. It's like aiming for the heart, with your options being "hit the heart" and "miss the target entirely." However, considering the AC and hp as abstraction aspect, and what you have is not "miss entirely," but "fail to score a telling blow" (one that reduces their ability to stay in the fight). That way it makes sense. I've half a mind to use "disadvantage, but if the high die hits, you get a regular hit" but that essentially makes every attempted called shot a roll at advantage. Hrm.

Another approach here would be to allow "over by X" rolls to succeed on a called shot, otherwise it is a normal hit. This would favor skilled strikers, and make advantage a boon to getting your shot set up. Presumably a critical hit on the called shot attempt is always successful.

rhouck
2015-07-13, 10:05 AM
Another approach here would be to allow "over by X" rolls to succeed on a called shot, otherwise it is a normal hit. This would favor skilled strikers, and make advantage a boon to getting your shot set up. Presumably a critical hit on the called shot attempt is always successful.

Then why would someone ever NOT call their shot? That proposed system has zero disadvantage to doing so.

Also, any system allowed to players needs to be allowed to monsters as well. That is why a system does not exist RAW. Because when every monster says "I aim for the eye", the odds stack up against the PCs and they all end up blind.

There are already combat options for imposing various status effects (e.g., battlemaster maneuvers, shove prone, grappling, etc). Personally, I would stick to those as the HP abstraction system breaks down when everyone stabs for the heart, eye, etc.