PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Velociraptor - Player Race (Will convert into a Monster shortly) [PEACH]

DracoKnight
2015-07-12, 06:13 PM
I've always loved Velociraptors, and a couple of weeks ago, I saw Jurassic World on opening night. I remembered how surprised I was that these guys weren't in the MM, and I figured I'd work on a Player Race before coming up with the Monster stat block, because why the hell not? I'd love to play as Blue :D

Velociraptor

Back From Extinction
Whether it was a Wizard who conjured you, or a researcher who was studying biology, someone figured out how to bring your species back from the dead. Perhaps you are a few generations removed from the original recreation of your race, or perhaps you were thrust into this world and you have no idea what has happened to the world, or how to interact with it.

Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 2, and you can increase one other stat of your choice by 1.
Age. Velociraptors reach maturity at 2 years old, and live to be around 40.
Alignment. Velociraptors are pack hunters, and work well with others. You are inclined to be lawful, but you are also a wild predator that cannot be tamed.
Size. You stand between 4 and 5 feet tall. Your size is medium.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 40 feet. Due to your unfamiliarity with the world as it is today, difficult terrain forces you to move at 1/4 your total movement speed.
Darkvision. You can see in darkness for 60ft. You don't see shades of gray like most other races, you see heat signatures.
Jump. When you move at least 10 feet in a straight line you may jump at an enemy. If this enemy is your size or smaller, they must make a Strength or Dexterity saving throw or be knocked prone. If they are Large or larger, you may land on top of them. If you land on top of them, you have advantage on any attack rolls you make against them. Every turn you end on the enemy's back you must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or fall off and be knocked prone. The DC for this saving throw = 12 + the target's Strength modifier.
Keen Senses. You are proficient with the Perception skill. You also have advantage on Perception checks that rely on smell.
Natural Weapons. You have a natural Bite attack, which you are proficient with. This attack deals 1d6 piercing damage. You use your Strength when making this attack. You are also proficient with your unarmed strikes which deal 1d4 slashing damage. For your unarmed strikes, you may use your Strength or Dexterity when making an attack. When applying class features, treat your claws as if they have the Finesse property.
Pack Tactics. When one of your allies is within five feet of you, you have advantage on attack rolls made for an unarmed strike.
Languages. You can read, write, and speak Common and Draconic.

Ralanr
2015-07-12, 06:19 PM
Well now I can make doctor dinosaur.

He'd probably have levels in wizard if not sorcerer. Hell he might be a wild sorcerer and a transmutation wizard, as long as it involves abuse of crystals and the laws of physics and science.

Cryyyyyssstals!!!!!!

DracoKnight
2015-07-12, 06:32 PM
Well now I can make doctor dinosaur.

Is it broken? Or is everything balanced?

SouthpawSoldier
2015-07-12, 06:49 PM
I can't attest to broken or not; not a math guy. However, conceptually, it looks pretty close to how I imagine a Dromaeosaurid. I'd drop the Darkvision though, maybe switch it to Low-light, and add Scent; maybe a racial Proficiency to Perception, to reflect predatory senses. Also, and I'm really not saying this to be a jerk, velociraptor was the smallest of dromaeosauridae; about the size of a large Canada goose. (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f9/Dromie_scale.png) so a reduction to Small size would be appropriate. This may mean reducing the Bite damage to 1d4, but I wouldn't reduce the speed to 20ft.

There's also some interesting arguments about the use of the claw on the foot; could also consider dropping the Claw attack, and giving them a bonus to grappling when jumping onto a larger creature.

If you want to make the feathers functional, I wouldn't go so far as to give them a Glide speed; maybe Advantage on Dex saves when falling from a certain distance range (high enough to orient themselves, low enough that they don't build up much velocity*).

Just my $0.02; I do like your concept.

*pun intended.

DracoKnight
2015-07-12, 06:52 PM
I can't attest to broken or not; not a math guy. However, conceptually, it looks pretty close to how I imagine a Dromaeosaurid. I'd drop the Darkvision though, maybe switch it to Low-light, and add Scent; maybe a racial Proficiency to Perception, to reflect predatory senses. Also, and I'm really not saying this to be a jerk, velociraptor was the smallest of dromaeosauridae; about the size of a large Canada goose. (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f9/Dromie_scale.png) so a reduction to Small size would be appropriate. This may mean reducing the Bite damage to 1d4, but I wouldn't reduce the speed to 20ft.

There's also some interesting arguments about the use of the claw on the foot; could also consider dropping the Claw attack, and giving them a bonus to grappling when jumping onto a larger creature.

If you want to make the feathers functional, I wouldn't go so far as to give them a Glide speed; maybe Advantage on Dex saves when falling from a certain distance range (high enough to orient themselves, low enough that they don't build up much velocity*).

Just my $0.02; I do like your concept.

*pun intended.

I know you're not being a jerk :D
I know how scientifically incorrect it is, but I'm playing to the common mental image of Velociraptors that the Jurassic series has created. Plus, it's a fantasy game. And the fluff that I have is that a wizard or someone was screwing with biology, so...think more like mutant velociraptors :D
Thank you for your thoughts :D

And I appreciate the pun! :D

SouthpawSoldier
2015-07-12, 06:58 PM
....Y'know, I just had a thought.....

AFB right now; when I get a chance, I'll check the DMG for CR calculations. I REALLY want to work this as a low-CR Beast. Fantastic BM Ranger pet concept; Halfling Rider Jousting (yes, the video game) from the back of a raptor.

Gr7mm Bobb
2015-07-12, 06:59 PM
Comments based on PEACH meaning talk for balance.

Speed. Your base walking speed is 40 feet.

Another way to show off the speed of the creature is to give them 35ft speed and the ability to dash as a bonus action. It worked pretty well for a cheetah subrace catpeople.

Darkvision. You can see in darkness for 60ft. You don't see shades of gray like most other races, you see heat signatures.

Flavor with same mechanical function? cool.

Jump. When you move at least 10 feet in a straight line you may jump at an enemy. If this enemy is your size or smaller, they must make a Strength or Dexterity saving throw or be knocked prone. If they are Large or larger, you may land on top of them. If you land on top of them, you have advantage on any attack rolls you make against them. Every turn you end on the enemy's back you must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or fall off and be knocked prone.

This seems like a modified pounce mechanic. Why not just use the one that panthers have and give them some form of standing leap benefit?

Natural Weapons. You have a natural Bite attack, which you are proficient with. This attack deals 1d6 piercing damage. You are also proficient with your unarmed strikes which deal 1d4 slashing damage. For your unarmed strikes, you may use your Strength or Dexterity when making an attack.

Did you want them to be able to use dex for the bite attack?
You also might want to consider just having the foot claws be weapons on their own that deal 1d4 slashing and have the finesse property.
Might want to phrase that last part as your may use your Dexterity score instead of your Strength for your unarmed attack rolls and damage.

Pack Tactics. When one of your allies is within five feet of you, you have advantage on attack rolls.
For a monster block this is not that big of a deal, really not. But when you give it to a PC, it becomes obnoxious. When i transferred kobolds over to being a PC race i wanted to keep the spirit of this in check and came across 2 options.
1) It only procs once per turn.
2) They can use their bonus action to gain this adv on their attacks against 1 selected target for the round.

Also recommend maybe giving them the keen senses like a wolf so they can smell and track things well. Excited to see how this turns out. Also do they have the right anthro-features to wield weapons and such like a lizardfolk or gnoll?

DracoKnight
2015-07-12, 07:00 PM
....Y'know, I just had a thought.....

AFB right now; when I get a chance, I'll check the DMG for CR calculations. I REALLY want to work this as a low-CR Beast. Fantastic BM Ranger pet concept; Halfling Rider Jousting (yes, the video game) from the back of a raptor.

I'm pretty sure that this would be a lower CR monster. I tried to keep it so that it would be. I want to either play as a Velociraptor, or as (basically) Chris Pratt in Jurassic World by playing the Beast Master.

DracoKnight
2015-07-12, 07:09 PM
Comments based on PEACH meaning talk for balance.

Another way to show off the speed of the creature is to give them 35ft speed and the ability to dash as a bonus action. It worked pretty well for a cheetah subrace catpeople. EDIT: This might be better, actually. My only reservation is that it would overshadow the Rogue's Cunning Action

Flavor with same mechanical function? cool. EDIT: Danke :)

This seems like a modified pounce mechanic. Why not just use the one that panthers have and give them some form of standing leap benefit? EDIT: I thought about that, but I felt that this might work better flavor-wise...unless it's too powerful.

Did you want them to be able to use dex for the bite attack? EDIT: No.
You also might want to consider just having the foot claws be weapons on their own that deal 1d4 slashing and have the finesse property. EDIT: ?
Might want to phrase that last part as your may use your Dexterity score instead of your Strength for your unarmed attack rolls and damage. EDIT: Will do.

For a monster block this is not that big of a deal, really not. But when you give it to a PC, it becomes obnoxious. When i transferred kobolds over to being a PC race i wanted to keep the spirit of this in check and came across 2 options.
1) It only procs once per turn.
2) They can use their bonus action to gain this adv on their attacks against 1 selected target for the round. EDIT: Hmmmm...I might consider the 1st option...I've never had an issue with giving players Pack Tactics, it's never caused an issue at my table, but...Hmmm...

Also recommend maybe giving them the keen senses like a wolf so they can smell and track things well. EDIT: That wouldn't be giving them too much? Excited to see how this turns out. EDIT: Thanks :D Also do they have the right anthro-features to wield weapons and such like a lizardfolk or gnoll? EDIT: yes :) But I don't see them walking upright.

I will take all of your suggestions into consideration :)

DracoKnight
2015-07-12, 07:25 PM
Also recommend maybe giving them the keen senses like a wolf so they can smell and track things well.

Added Keen Senses. :)

DracoKnight
2015-07-12, 11:14 PM
Are there any issues with the race other than according to real world science?

Ralanr
2015-07-13, 01:21 PM
Are there any issues with the race other than according to real world science?

The lack of crystals!

Actually the ability to wield weapons. Raptors do not seem like they'd be able to do that. I would argue disadvantage in weapon attacks and spells with somatic components.

DracoKnight
2015-07-13, 02:52 PM
The lack of crystals!

Actually the ability to wield weapons. Raptors do not seem like they'd be able to do that. I would argue disadvantage in weapon attacks and spells with somatic components.

These are more like anthropomorphic raptors :)

And out of curiosity (forgive me if this is something I should just know) but what is the connection between raptors and crystals? :P

DracoKnight
2015-07-14, 03:01 PM
Is there anything else that seems weird about them - that is not based on the unrealism of the race?

Ralanr
2015-07-14, 05:06 PM
These are more like anthropomorphic raptors :)

And out of curiosity (forgive me if this is something I should just know) but what is the connection between raptors and crystals? :P

Let me introduce you to the wonderful world of Atomic Robo, and the madness that is Dr. Dinosaur. (http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/07/24/free-comic-book-day-2009/)

DracoKnight
2015-07-14, 05:10 PM
Let me introduce you to the wonderful world of Atomic Robo, and the madness that is Dr. Dinosaur. (http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/07/24/free-comic-book-day-2009/)

That's hilarious :D

Ralanr
2015-07-14, 05:23 PM
That's hilarious :D

What he's able to do with crystals knows no limit. :D

Mechanically I got nothing. It looks fine.

DracoKnight
2015-07-14, 05:36 PM
What he's able to do with crystals knows no limit. :D

Mechanically I got nothing. It looks fine.

I wanna see a Velociraptor spellcaster who uses a crystal Arcane Focus! :D

Okay. The only thing I was truly worried about was Jump.

eleazzaar
2015-07-14, 10:44 PM
Not to be harsh, but this is very overpowered, you give them lots of good stuff, and there's no downside. Faster than any any race on land, darkvision, natural attacks, choice of an attribute, free perception proficiency, advantage in so many different contexts, special powerful attacks...

If you wanted DEX why would you play anything else except for flavor?

DracoKnight
2015-07-14, 11:19 PM
this is very overpowered, you give them lots of good stuff, and there's no downside.

What would you take away/what downside would you give? I've been playtesting these guys, and they haven't been a huge issue so far. I've been playtesting this race with someone who's playing a Velociraptor Rogue. Even with the numerous ways to get advantage that they have, they're being outstripped by the Tiefling Warlock of the party. Yes, they have multiple ways to get advantage as a race, and they're faster than everyone, but the problem the player has encountered is that they're extremely inclined to run ahead of everyone, jump on the enemy, and then fail their DEX save, and get knocked prone. Yes, I realize that's a strategy flaw, not a racial drawback, but I almost feel that's the kind of character you want to play if you're playing this.

That said, I am open to suggestions.

Ralanr
2015-07-14, 11:27 PM
How anthropomorphic we talking?

DracoKnight
2015-07-14, 11:38 PM
How anthropomorphic we talking?

They don't walk upright, but I could see thumbs.

SouthpawSoldier
2015-07-15, 12:22 AM
Reading "anthropomorphic raptor", I have a thought; why not go a different route for development, and do a halfling/Dragonborn blend?

AFB, but imagine it may make the process a little simpler.

Ralanr
2015-07-15, 09:27 AM
A small race with a speed of 35 would fix some balance issues.

But then it's not Blue.

eleazzaar
2015-07-15, 11:39 AM
These are the biggest issues I see.

Jump is broken in a couple of different ways, it is either pointless or quite powerful.

Jump. When you move at least 10 feet in a straight line you may jump at an enemy. If this enemy is your size or smaller, they must make a Strength or Dexterity saving throw or be knocked prone.

"Shove" is an powerful action open to anyone, that mirrors this jump. However it is resisted by Athletics or Acrobatics. By denying the proficiency bonus to resist this jump is essentially "super-shove", with a much lower chance of resisting for creatures with skills.

For medium or smaller creatures without skills, jump is pointless, and does exactly the same thing as shove.

Every turn you end on the enemy's back you must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or fall off and be knocked prone. What is the DC of this save? If it is too high, a smart player would save some movement, and jump off the creature's back after attacking with advantage and avoid the chance of falling prone. The rogue can use it's bonus disengage to back up 10 ft and jump again, in effect getting continuous advantage against Large + creatures with no downside. Your rogue isn't really giving you an idea of what this race can do.

Pack Tactics. When one of your allies is within five feet of you, you have advantage on attack rolls.
This is super-good, advantageous to all classes. As written a caster gets advantage on spells with attack rolls too, just by standing next to an ally. A well-played velociraptor would use it's mobility to almost always attack with advantage, either by jumping on large creatures, or sticking next to allies.

And on top of that you get perception, the best skill, the best land move speed, darkvision (of great importance if your GM pays attention to light)

DracoKnight
2015-07-15, 11:57 AM
These are the biggest issues I see.

Jump is broken in a couple of different ways, it is either pointless or quite powerful.

"Shove" is an powerful action open to anyone, that mirrors this jump. However it is resisted by Athletics or Acrobatics. By denying the proficiency bonus to resist this jump is essentially "super-shove", with a much lower chance of resisting for creatures with skills.

For medium or smaller creatures without skills, jump is pointless, and does exactly the same thing as shove.

What is the DC of this save? If it is too high, a smart player would save some movement, and jump off the creature's back after attacking with advantage and avoid the chance of falling prone. The rogue can use it's bonus disengage to back up 10 ft and jump again, in effect getting continuous advantage against Large + creatures with no downside. Your rogue isn't really giving you an idea of what this race can do.

This is super-good, advantageous to all classes. As written a caster gets advantage on spells with attack rolls too, just by standing next to an ally. A well-played velociraptor would use it's mobility to almost always attack with advantage, either by jumping on large creatures, or sticking next to allies.

And on top of that you get perception, the best skill, the best land move speed, darkvision (of great importance if your GM pays attention to light)

Added the DC, and clarified Pack Tactics.
With those changes it doesn't feel (to me) as broken as it was. It's movement is only 5ft. more than the Wood Elf (which also gets perception) and its darkvision is weaker than the drows' (which also get perception). The only issue is the advantage. Pack Tactics, as written right now requires you to be standing next to an ally while making a weapon attack. Jump's DC is only gonna get higher, the tougher the monster you're fighting, so I feel that this is no longer broken.

I would like to point out that this isn't the only race to get Advantage. Halflings' Lucky and Brave are advantage based traits. Lucky can be applied to anything, and Brave is specifically against being Frightened. Both Jump and Pack Tactics have specific requirements and are only applicable to attack rolls. And Advantage does not automatically mean success. You could roll a 1, reroll and get a 4. This has happened to me personally on at least half the rolls that I've had Advantage on. YES, I know that Advantage gives you a much greater chance of success, I've also been on the receiving end of fantastic rolls made with Advantage, but it doesn't guarantee success.

Ralanr
2015-07-15, 02:22 PM
1 square vs 2 squares.

eleazzaar
2015-07-15, 02:31 PM
I would like to point out that this isn't the only race to get Advantage.
lots of races get advantage in specific circumstances. This race gets advantage for nearly every non-magical attack-- if the player makes a modest effort to get it (as explained in my previous post).

Halfling Luck is a great trait-- it is what makes halflings worth playing, it is their big feature. And it is relevant to 1/20 d20 rolls. A savvy velociraptor player should get advatage on at least half of their d20 rolls, unless they are playing a rather combat light game.

The DC for this saving throw = 8 + your proficiency bonus + the target's Strength modifier.

Adding your proficiency bonus means the higher level you are, the more likely you are to fall off.

DracoKnight
2015-07-15, 02:46 PM
Adding your proficiency bonus means the higher level you are, the more likely you are to fall off.

I realize that, and it's to show the challenge of the monsters you're fighting. I might make it 10 + the target's Strength modifier for creatures medium or smaller.

Jadzia Dax
2015-07-15, 08:51 PM
I've always loved Velociraptors, and a couple of weeks ago, I saw Jurassic World on opening night. I remembered how surprised I was that these guys weren't in the MM, and I figured I'd work on a Player Race before coming up with the Monster stat block, because why the hell not? I'd love to play as Blue :D

Velociraptor

Back From Extinction
Whether it was a Wizard who conjured you, or a researcher who was studying biology, someone figured out how to bring your species back from the dead. Perhaps you are a few generations removed from the original recreation of your race, or perhaps you were thrust into this world and you have no idea what has happened to the world, or how to interact with it.

Ability Score Increase. Your Dexterity score increases by 2, and you can increase one other stat of your choice by 1.
Alignment. Velociraptors are pack hunters, and work well with others. You are inclined to be lawful, but you are also a wild predator that cannot be tamed.
Speed. Your base walking speed is 40 feet. Due to your unfamiliarity with the world as it is today, difficult terrain forces you to move at 1/4 your total movement speed.
Jump. When you move at least 10 feet in a straight line you may jump at an enemy. If this enemy is your size or smaller, they must make a Strength or Dexterity saving throw or be knocked prone. If they are Large or larger, you may land on top of them. If you land on top of them, you have advantage on any attack rolls you make against them. Every turn you end on the enemy's back you must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or fall off and be knocked prone. The DC for this saving throw = 8 + your proficiency bonus + the target's Strength modifier.
Keen Senses. You are proficient with the Perception skill. You also have advantage on Perception checks that rely on smell.
Natural Weapons. You have a natural Bite attack, which you are proficient with. This attack deals 1d6 piercing damage. You use your Strength when making this attack. You are also proficient with your unarmed strikes which deal 1d4 slashing damage. For your unarmed strikes, you may use your Strength or Dexterity when making an attack. When applying class features, treat your claws as if they have the Finesse property.
Pack Tactics. When one of your allies is within five feet of you, you have advantage on attack rolls made for a weapon attack or unarmed strike.

I've never played a game despite really wanting to, and I still think this is a really great idea.

The Tyler
2015-07-16, 05:07 PM
I realize that, and it's to show the challenge of the monsters you're fighting. I might make it 10 + the target's Strength modifier for creatures medium or smaller.

Love the concept. I'm looking forward to being able to surprise my players with a rival adventuring party comprised entirely of raptors. With that, on the subject of Jump, I do have some thoughts. First, I'm tempted to say that Large creatures should have a chance to be knocked prone also. After all, a mountain lion jumping into a horse is likely to bring a horse to the ground, and a raptor is the same size category as a panther. Just a thought.

As for the DC, having the DC include your proficiency bonus simply causes it to cancel out if the player is proficient with Dex saving throws. How about 10 + target's strength modifier + 2 for each size category above Medium)? So a Large creature would be 12 + STR mod, a Huge creature would be 14 + STR mod, and a Gargantuan creature would be 16 + STR mod. If that doesn't scale enough, you use a larger modifier there, +3 or +4. I've not played a lot of so I'm not sure how well the math breaks down. With that said, Ancient Dragons would have a DC ranging from 24 to 26, depending on variety.

Another option is to base it off the grapple rules, Strength (Athletics) vs Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics). I wouldn't use the full grapple rules with the grappled condition though.

DracoKnight
2015-07-16, 08:49 PM
As for the DC, having the DC include your proficiency bonus simply causes it to cancel out if the player is proficient with Dex saving throws. How about 10 + target's strength modifier + 2 for each size category above Medium)? So a Large creature would be 12 + STR mod, a Huge creature would be 14 + STR mod, and a Gargantuan creature would be 16 + STR mod. If that doesn't scale enough, you use a larger modifier there, +3 or +4. I've not played a lot of so I'm not sure how well the math breaks down. With that said, Ancient Dragons would have a DC ranging from 24 to 26, depending on variety.

I might do it this way.

PoeticDwarf
2015-07-17, 06:01 AM

Velociraptor

Back From Extinction

Jump. When you move at least 10 feet in a straight line you may jump at an enemy. If this enemy is your size or smaller, they must make a Strength or Dexterity saving throw or be knocked prone. If they are Large or larger, you may land on top of them. If you land on top of them, you have advantage on any attack rolls you make against them. Every turn you end on the enemy's back you must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or fall off and be knocked prone. The DC for this saving throw = 8 + your proficiency bonus + the target's Strength modifier.
Pack Tactics. When one of your allies is within five feet of you, you have advantage on attack rolls made for a weapon attack or unarmed strike.
Change the pack tactics to only unarmed strikes.

And you understand a velociraptor is half a meter. This isn't Jurasic Park.

DracoKnight
2015-07-17, 01:27 PM
Change the pack tactics to only unarmed strikes.

And you understand a velociraptor is half a meter. This isn't Jurasic Park.

That would actually make sense for Pack Tactics. I like that idea.

And YES, I know that. I know that the Jurassic Park representation of them is inaccurate. However, these ARE BASED ON the Jurassic Park velociraptors.

Sorry. Not mad. Just frustrated that I've had to restate this a couple of times. :/

DracoKnight
2015-07-17, 04:47 PM
Updated the OP to fit EnderDwarf's suggestion for Pack Tactics.

Updated the OP to fit The Tyler's suggestion for the DC of Jump's Dexterity saving throw.